New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Default Serenity: Hard Rain Falling

Inbound to New Kashmir

The Dining Area

The last of the fresh food is on the table, liberally enhanced - if that's the proper word - by protein in a myriad of forms. The smell of coffee fills the room from the small brewer bolted to the center of the table by some prior owner of the ship.

The ship is inbound to New Kashmir. The word from that planet is grim. Three months of long battle has finally turned toward the Alliance. The Browncoats have fallen back to a small peninsula, where they're holding their own - for now.

Ships are converging on New Kashmir. Alliance cruisers, bearing reinforcements, and preparing to bomb the Browncoat lines from orbit. And rebel ships of a thousand forms, coming in to take the Browncoats off, back into the black, to fight another day, on another world.

But that's a day off. Tonight, at least, you're safe in the black, with a table of food and fresh coffee, the entire crew gathered around the little table.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Serenity: Hard Rain Falling

Taking a long, deep draught of the finest coffee in the black (which isn't saying much), Rusty leaned back and sighed. It had been a long time since his academy days with the Alliance. It had been six months since he fought against his former squadmates from Wolf Company. He'd been forced to kill three as they tried to apprehend them.

Rusty looked up. "So... anyone have any plans once we get on the ground? What's the news on our orders anyway? It seems like we're flying into the bloodiest mess of this war, without a care in the world. Or rather, I should say, in this 'verse."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Quin bounds into the room from the cockpit.

"Izzat coffee? Woo!" She immediately pours herself a cup.

"Hey, I'm not the captain. Only orders I get 'round here are directions. Don't ask me what's goin' on." She drinks the entire cup in one gulp and sets to another one.

4. - Top - End - #4

Devil

Shuffling about, Keith stretches his arms and legs, yawning loudly. "Morning, everyone." A handsome man, Keith stood a rather unassuming height and weight. "So, we'll hit Kashmir within the day, right? Been itching to stretch my legs."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Elisabeth O'Neal

She's been sitting around the dining area for a few hours now, mostly with her head stuck her interactive encyclopedia, glancing up and smiling to any who come by, throwing her opinion in when she thinks to look up from her reading.

"Stretch your legs Keith?" Elisabeth chirps up from her seat near the table, "If thats your priority then you'll probably be running doing it and doing it alone at that. Bianca told me it'll be pretty hectic wherever we set down, an' if thats the case you'll not see me following you out there."

She then alights to pick up the last orange, starts pealing it and listens to the others. She offers it around and eats whats not taken.
    Awesome avatar by Shades of Gray- check this out.

'Famous I don't know about. It's hard to be famous and alive. I just want to play music every day and hear someone say, 'Thanks, that was great, here's some money, same time tomorrow, okay?'- Terry Pratchett, Soul Music

6. - Top - End - #6

Devil

Keith

"Bosh, it's a joke. I'm not going to risk anyone's head over a need to be planet-side." Keith chuckled, juggling a few spare tools lying around. "Besides, you know how it is. Work, work."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

"I dunno... your job seems pretty easy no? I run around a battlefield for a living... sitting in an engine room seems pretty tempting at times... then again I have no idea how engines work. I'd probably be lost in there within ten seconds.

Speaking of leg stretching, I think we'll have plenty of that down on the planet... they're stuck on a peninsula and we're probably going to have to do a lot of running to get the right stuff to the right places. That and we'll have to avoid that huge fleet of Alliance battlecruisers rumored to be en route there.
    "

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bianca enters the room, quickly snatching a piece of Elizabeth's orange when she offers it out. She looks around at her crew that has gathered.

"Well, Skystrider, he's gonna be down there with us. Make sure you learn who's who on my boat. Axel's still down in the engine room, makin' sure we have the fuel cells to make full burn if we run into trouble. Which we more than likely will.

When we touch down on New Kashmir, I expect all of you-I don't care if you're on or off the boat-to keep your wits about you. I'm not bringin' more than one piece of each of you back to command."
    Hope rides alone.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ahh... the boredom of the black. Anyone feel like playing a game of sorts? I picked up a few tactical games during my time with the Alliance if anyone is interested."

He leans back and starts chewing on a few more tasteless protein bars.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Don't even start on complaining about work Keith." Axel says gruffly as he walks in, his mechanical leg making dull clunks on the floor of the ship. "You're not the one that has to deal with this engine day in an' out."

He limps over to the table, snatching up a protein bar with one hand while trying futilely to rub some grease off his bald head. "'Sides," He glares at their handyman, Someone keeps using my tools, and doesn't put 'em back."
    Most excellent Watcher avatar courtesy of GryffonDurime.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

11. - Top - End - #11

Devil

Keith

Keith looks exasparated. "Man, what is it with you guys today? Everyone's picking on me. Was yesterday's dinner that bad?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Keith...it moved. And seein' as we haven't eaten anything that was alive on this boat in a long time, I'm still tryin' to figure out how you pulled that one.

Anyways. Axel, how many fuel rods are we runnin' on? If we need to make a full burn, are we gonna end up dead in the water? Quin, are you gonna be able to fly this boat in and out of an alliance blockade if it comes to that?

Elizabeth, I want you to make sure that the infirmary is fully prepped and ready to go the second we step foot back on this ship. If we've got wounded, I wan'em patched up as soon as you can. Got me?"
    Hope rides alone.

13. - Top - End - #13

"Why do ya think I've been working on that engine for days?" Axel turns his annoyed glare to Bianca. "We've got enough for a full burn if we need it. But refueling will be a necessity for us if we do."

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chuckles along at the remarks before giving Keith a pat on the shoulder.
    Pulls a mock salute at Bianca and announces "Already done, Miss-Boss-Sir. Cleaned it all up this morning so there'll be no problems there... oh an' while your all listening I want you all to stop by the infirmary around two hours before we land, if were talking people on then you'll all need your shots."

'Famous I don't know about. It's hard to be famous and alive. I just want to play music every day and hear someone say, 'Thanks, that was great, here's some money, same time tomorrow, okay?'- Terry Pratchett, Soul Music

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Fallon

Fallon also takes a bit of Elisabeth's offered orange, smirking at the banter going on. For having been on a ship for as long as they have, and in the circumstances they have been, her clothes are in pretty decent shape. Out in the black there aren't exactly clothing shops, and a girl needs to be presentable.

"'ey, Cap, is there anything in particular I need to be prepared for when we set down? Or would you rather I keep our lovely doctor company? Not to complain or nothin', but I've been feeling a mite useless lately."

She settles into a chair, slouching down so her shins were pressed against the table. When Fallon was like this, when she was relaxed for a change, one would guess she was several years younger than her actual age.
    Last edited by Syka; 2008-05-12 at 01:40 PM.
    Show me how pretty the world is
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

16. - Top - End - #16

Devil

Keith

"I suppose no one can appreciate the subtle texture of my cuisine. I'll drive, as usual, so Quinny can stay with the boat." Keith leaned back, putting the tools aside. Truth be told, he never fit in with the serious crowd, he was always chasing a new fancy, a new drink, or a new skirt. That made him the odd one out.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

"So Captain, what are we doing down on the planet anyway? The usual pick up a cargo and run like crazy? Or something more clandestine this time?"

18. - Top - End - #18

"The point, Mr. Skystrider," said Trevor Quartermain as he entered the galley, "is to rescue some poor browncoats before they are killed." Quartermain poured himself a cup of coffee and took a seat. He's a tall man with a boxer's body and a face that must have been sculpted by some experts on Ariel.

"Back on Earth-that-war, in the great War of the Twentieth Century, an army of Scotsmen found themselves under attack by the French at a place called Dunkirk. The United Americans rescued them with ships. That's what we're doing." His voice is rich and precise, belonging in the courtrooms of Osiris, not out here on a Firefly heading into war.

"Siren's Joy, and the rest of our friends, are going to run the Alliance blockade of New Kashmir, pull out as many people as we can stuff in the hold, and head back into space." His clothes are, as always, immaculate, and his hair is perfect. On ship, he's a technical supernumerary, with no assigned tasks. Officially, he's your liasion with the leaders of the Rebellion and, perhaps more to the point, the man with access to significant amounts of browncoat cash.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quin

Quin makes some sort of face. "So we're runnin' a blockade with no weapons, low fuel, and no clue what the ground looks like 'til we get there. Business as usual, then?" She rolls her eyes and crams about three mouthfuls of protein into her one, intent on chewing for a spell.

20. - Top - End - #20

"Yeah, business as usual, only this time we'll be loaded down with gorram soldiers." Axel sets down the protein bar and heads over to the cupboard. "Which will only add to our fuel troubles as we break atmo. I dunno, cap', I'm not feeling all too good about this."

"And how are we always out of gorram liquor on this boat!"
    he exclaims after looking through the containers.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Fallon gnaws on a protein bar, grinning as she does so. Removing it from her mouth for a moment, she grins big,

"Yeah, but the soldiers make it more fun! Seriously, new people. You think I enjoy lookin' at all you're mugs all day?" The young woman winks at Axel before voicing her more important thoughts.

"My only concern is our lack of planning, not that that is anything new. Do we at least have a skeletal idea of where we'll be?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Quin makes another face (full of food).

"Feveval. 'Iphe wurb shoish, Phawom," accompanied by various bits of protein.

<Translation>
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Skeletal. Nice word choice, Fallon."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

"Soldiers...? Fun? What universe are we in? Who are you and what did you do with the real Fallon? I suppose our plan is just to fly in and grab some soldiers and go. I'll leave the flying bits to Quin. I'll just go and cut stuff up."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Yea, sure its going to be difficult having our day-to-day messed up but shouldn't we be welcoming them and not calling them troublemakers? I mean they are your comrade's in arms, an' all that-that entails."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, come on Rusty. Siren'll be a practical party compared to what they're comin' out of. And you know most of 'em ain't even true soldiers. Even the toughened vets should have some interesting stories to share. You stick to you're cuttin' people up, I'll stick to the socializing."

Fallon grins like the Cheshire Cat. Everyone deals with stress in different ways, and this particular girl deals with it by getting way too positive.

26. - Top - End - #26

Devil

Keith

"I dunno, she might be onto something." Keith looks up from his lazy position. "And besides, we can't say that this situation isn't so bad. I mean, come on, gloom-and-doom. What's the worst that could happen?"

27. - Top - End - #27

"Those gorram soldiers have been fighting and dying for three months," Quatermain says with annoyance. "I'd suggest you show them some respect, Mr. Callahan." He pours something from a small flask into his coffee. "We have poor to no intelligence except some landing coordinates. We're one of the last ships in. Once we load a hundred or so soldiers, we'll be short on fuel, consumables, and air. So we'd better run fast, somewhere safe." He sips the coffee with a sour face. "If there is anywhere safe."

28. - Top - End - #28

Axel rolls his eyes at Fallon's comment, not wanting to break the woman's good mood. He sees Quartermain's flask, but instead of complaing more, he lets a different comment slip.

"They knew what they were getting into when they got out there. So you'll excuse me if I find it hard to be sympathetic." He moves away from the cooking area and starts to head towards the bunks. "People die in war, thats the way it always has been. Ya want to stop the death? Then stop the gorram fighting.
    Last edited by Ellas Aramond; 2008-05-17 at 06:31 PM.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Quin

"Well, if you really think what we're fighting for ain't worth it, there's still plenty of time for you to bail. Out the airlock, anyway." Quin makes a bit of a 'hmph' sound. "Any drop-off spots in mind? If I know our course, I can get us away faster, and using as little fuel as possible."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bianca has been holding her tongue up until this point. After serving with her crew for a few months, she's learned it's best to let them have their say before she gives her piece. However, she gives Axel a quick smack in the back of the head and a stern look.

"'Lotta folk down there are just boys an' girls. Didn't know what they were signin' up for. Now, they got an armada comin' down on them. A lotta them probly think this cause is worth dyin' for, but I'd rather see the lot of 'em live to fight another day.

Quin, as for drop spots, I'm countin' on you and this nice gentleman here to find us a good spot. Quartermain, help our pilot get a good seat. I hate being in the back row."
    Hope rides alone.