Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Epic Destinies Campaign.

This is a prepost to set up a link.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Epic Destinies Campaign.

You are all familiar with the city of Union. Having been here before. But there is something different about it this time. Your innate senses our screaming at you. Warning you of imminent danger. All the residence seem distraught at the sight of you. They all stop what you they are doing and quickly move out of your way. It is as if they are all afraid of you,for some unknown reason. Even the Union Sentinels,the main law enforcement,seem a bit edgy. There are hushed whispers,among the Union Sentinels. Your characters can make out these words. This is a bad omen and that the streets are going to be filled with blood. You are all standing at the front gate. Waitng for your contact Agnimia. She has personally contacted all of you. ---Suddenly Agnimia appears before you. She stands 4'7" tall. Her straight black hair is pulled back in a single thick braid down her back. She wears a pair of well wornriding gloves,anAdamantine breastplate and two enruned swords on her belt. The Human ranger speaks up. We must hurry to the Island View Inn.You are all in grave danger As you enter the Inn, it is empty except for two lone figures. Now the players introduce themselves as they see fit.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

The first of the figures in the inn steps forward. A tall human wearing bright Mithral plate, he has an air of strength; his steely gaze demands- not arrogantly- respect, and his very stance shows that he is used to being obeyed.

He wears his dark brown hair short, and a close-cropped beard graces his strong chin. His face breaks into a sardonic smile below his aquiline nose, and he says, "I take it you are the ones who have been sent to meet me. I am General Fellan Kaelis, and I am here to aid you... The first way I can do tht is to tell you to take great care. I am not the only person who want to meet you, although I am probably the most kindly inclined."

He raises the golden sceptre held in his right hand and says, "I am honoured to work with you, my friends. Now, may I be introduced to you?"
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

4. - Top - End - #4

The second figure to move is an odd sight indeed, appearing small and unassuming for one fully armored. She is about 5 feet and 5 inches (165 centimeters) tall, and her physique is seemingly not extraordinary, only slightly athletic. She is slim and rather girlish of build, with very modest bust and curves, and her oval face might make her seem like any other townsgirl, with brown hair in a raised, loose, double ponytail, with short bangs and side bangs. Her eyes are a plain brown.

The only clue that Anya is more than she seems is her armor. She wears a suit of ornate full plate without a helmet. It is built of mithral, light purple-red and form-fitting, crafted and decorated by faerie artisans and enchanted by powerful wizards, each of which has left their mark in the subtle weaves impressed upon the steel and aligned magic runes upon the plate. A large shield with the skull crest of Wee Jas, a red, smiling skull wrathed in flames, floats magically at her side. She has a heavy mace clipped to her belt on the right side, and a bag of holding on the other side. She wears a flowing cloak with the Lady's crest on it, as well as powerful periapt around her neck.

As she steps forward, she bows on one knee, and stands again. "I am Anya Leitweld, Lord General, and am a Ruby Knight of the Order of the Stern Lady, Wee Jas. I am aware there is some purpose to our meeting and would like it to be clarified. I do not recall any time when the city of Union has felt so dire."
    Last edited by Meek; 2008-05-12 at 01:02 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Azariah

Azariah starts as she sees the two figures already in the Inn - one, a grizzled, tall figure in gleaming full plate hefting a long, ornate caduceus in her general direction, the other, a woman kneeling, bedecked from her toes to her mane of brown hair in armour the colour of Acheronian Cinnabar and festooned with skulls - but then she relaxes. These were obviously the people she was meant to see - right?

Hah, ah b'truly piked to see tha'lahks of yah here. Of all tha' well lanned things, that such a chordwise berk such ahs mahself shoud meet such graybeards ahs yahselves ...

She falters, as she realises that the patrons are looking slightly oddly at her utterly impenetrable under-Sigil accent. A nervous smile, a raised eyebrow, as she essays a different tack.

αγγελεις την σοφιαν την των παρων του Υνιου?

More silence.

Er ... is this better? I apologise, I've been a little addled over tongues recen ... no, I'd say always. Anyway, my given name is Azariah L'Imre; I come following both the summons from you and Agnimia, and also a vision. I'll credit that it was you I saw. How may I be of good service?

Spoiler
    Show
    Planar Trade (basically, Sigil-ese, Azariah's native tongue), Celestial, and Common respectively.
    Last edited by Illiterate Scribe; 2008-05-12 at 01:39 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

"We have been brought together by the Gods."

Kaelis waits a second to let that sink in.

"I do not know what our mission is, but I have been sent to lead you to some greater goal- you have as much idea as I what that might be, but the Gods will surely provide."

"First things first, though. You must have felt the disquiet in Union, but I believe I know part of the cause- if not the cause, then an effect. You are all in danger- and so am I, if I help you in any way."

Another pause, then a smile.

"I'll be in danger soon enough..."
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

You are most kind, General Kaelis. If your mission is supported by the gods of goodness, then it is in harmony with the Cosmic Force. Good with good entwined, two choirs disharmonious enchord, that sort of thing.

However, you say it is dangerous; at this precise moment, exactly how dangerous would you say that it was, on a scale of 1 to imminent death? I only say this on account of worry over our present location; we should wait for the others, and then seek safer ground.

Azariah shifts uneasily, eyeing up the locals, who eye her back.
    Last edited by Illiterate Scribe; 2008-05-12 at 01:47 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sreth

The distant sound of muffled hooves comes swiftly up the road as a spectral horse comes thundering down the lane stopping at the inn. Sliding off the not really there horse is a shining and highly posished armored figure. The High necked gray cloak marks them as a War Wizard, and the dark blue mithril and gold filligreed plate makrs them as a Warmage of high standing. The fitted armor outlines a tall and thin human. As he turns he slides a long black rune covered metal staff that seems to have a low fluting sound out of a quiver, oddly, strapped to his calf. A head band of shining mithril and a gem socketed into his forehead strike you as dull compared to his noble bloodline clearly stamped on his features. Perfectly combed wavy golden blond hair is pulled back into a pony tail, his skin is also flawless. The piercing nature of his gaze as it slides over each of you, strikes you as identifying and calculating but not penetrating.

We have been preceeded. A deep laconic voice comes from the staff he holds.

Apparently. The warmage replies, somewhat tiredly. He looks to the General and snaps off a perfect and crisp salute from the position of attention. Military experience and bearing is evident in his actions Warmage and Justicar of St. Cuthbert, Sreth D'Almantir. At your service General. The symbols engraved on his chest piece are those of St. Cuthbert on one side and the Ardent Spear, the faith's order of arcane justicars, on the other. Dropping his salute he stands at ease waiting.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

9. - Top - End - #9

Two small humanoid figures enter the Inn. Standing 3 1/2' foot tall w/ yellow eyes and orange skin. they have flat faces/broad noses/pointed ears and wide mouths w/ small sharp fangs. They are each brandishing a morning star. They appear to be wearing no armor. Each one wears a golden disk on a chain/they have arm guards/they have thin gloves on and they have on wide belts made of thick hide studded w/ Adamantine. They speak in common saying you stay out of this General. As for the rest of you your time has come.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Azariah calmly gestures at the others in the bar to get back, and then walks up to the two short figures, continuing her muttering, and waving her hands about a little. She crouches down in front of the pair, with her hands up, revealing a lack of weapons (although one hand seems sturdier and more reinforced than the other, she is most certainly not holding it threateningly). A perceptive type might notice that the angle of her hands neatly divides the room in two; the creatures on one side, and everyone else on the other.

But gentlemen, you have not told us your names, nor in whose name you wish us to stop. And stay out of what, too, may I ask; no-one seems to wish to give me a straight answer.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative [roll]1d20+5[/roll], should I need it. I'm also readying an action to drop a wall of force cutting, as far as is possible, the room in two; one half containing us lot, the other containing the goblins (?), emanating from Azariah's outstretched hands; the action will trigger if they take any offensive action.

Sorry if this mucks up the database, I just forgot to close the spoiler tags.

EDIT 2: Gah! Roll over on the OoC thread. It doesn't yet include Kaleis' HUEG LIKE XBOX bonus on initiative.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Illiterate Scribe; 2008-05-12 at 03:26 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

The general quickly looses his shield.

"I'm afraid I can't do that. You work for the Garotte? These people are under my protection- and that of some more impressive beings, as well. If you want these people's lives, you'll have to come through me first. Me and my allies..."

At this point, the second shadowed figure steps forward, huge feathered wings unfurling briefly from its back and a large, golden trumpet in its right hand. Its green-skinned, bald head bears an expression of calm, and it says, "Behold the messenger of the Gods! Back down if you wish to survive!"

Kaelis adds in an aside to the others, "That's my herald. A little more spectacular than your average trumpeter..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Motivate Dexterity (+14 to Dex checks and Initiative) and the DR4/- aura now active. They'll work on everyone...

12. - Top - End - #12

Spoiler
    Show
    Scribe, the tiny text is hard on my eyes, could you make it a little bigger please? I had to get firefox to zoom in two text sizes more to be able to read it decently.

At the provocation, Anya grabs hold of her mace. Her expression remains calm, almost stoic. "I appreciate the concern general, but you do not need to burden yourself and your herald on at least my account. It is a Knight's role to protect her superiors, is it not?" She smiles very slightly at him, and addresses the goblins, "You won't be taking any lives here today, knuckle-draggers. I suggest you surrender before the force mustered in this room is unleashed upon you."

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking into account the General's bonuses, (1d20+23)[39]

13. - Top - End - #13

Sorry about that I was locked out of the website.

14. - Top - End - #14

Sorry about that I was locked out of the website.

15. - Top - End - #15

Sorry about that I was locked out of the website. You want to take us both on by yourself?

16. - Top - End - #16

"relying on magic heh." "thought we were in for a real fight." by a dare devil." "that's the trouble with them darn magic-users." "even though they outnumber us,they have to cheat." "they must be afraid of us or something."

17. - Top - End - #17

"Now, now,"Anya says, amused by the sudden attitude from the goblins, "It is unbecoming to be envious of an enemy's abilities before you have even seen them. Or perhaps our assailants lack confidence?" She raises her mace to point at them, with one hand. "Be advised, magic does not imply physical weakness – I am proof of that."

18. - Top - End - #18

"Use the mind trick to contact,you know who" "But it always makes my head hurt." "If we fail,it'll be both of our heads." "He begins to focus,as if lost in deep concentration." " A moment later,He replies ok it's done."

19. - Top - End - #19

Sreth

Sreth hands the black staff off, saying to the air Hold thisto some thing not really there but which holds the staff. Then he holds his hand over the top of the quiver strapped to his leg, a single stadd shoots up into his hand This will do He steps back and points at one of the two enemy's, a green ray shoots from his finger, washing over the first. Then quickly again washing over the second. Now, since no one can leave without my permission. Shall we dance?

Spoiler
    Show

Dimension Lock on the first
    Ranged Touch (1d20+19)[25]
    SR check (1d20+24)[37]

Quickened Dimension Lock on the other
    Ranged Touch (1d20+19)[31]
    SR check (1d20+24)[33]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

[I would have to echo my companion's words here; if magic is a crutch, it truly is a fine one.

Azariah looks behind her to Kaelis, keeping a single eye on the goblins.

So, General; would you have us trap them in here, or keep them out there? Your call.

Spoiler
    Show
    Speaking's a free action, I believe. If Kaelis wants them kept inside, the the wall of force will cover the door, otherwise it's between us and them.

Also, I too will have a go at identifying said mindtrick: Spellcraft, (1d20+36)[48].

21. - Top - End - #21

The doors of the inn open. A globe of absolute darkness two feet in diameter moves toward the two goblins. First one is sucked in than the other one. The Sphere of Annihilation, moves toward the exit. The General hears a voice in his head, "Sacrificial Lambs or probes to test your abilities." "But the real test is yet too begin." Enjoy your stay at the Island View Inn" "Just remember we will be watching your every move."

22. - Top - End - #22

Kaelis frowns.

"Someone is playing with us. "The real test is yet to begin", I am told... Someone is watching us, and I have no idea who."

He glances round, and adds, "Unless, of course, any of you can trace mental communication- but somehow I doubt that a little. Care to surprise me?"

23. - Top - End - #23

Sreth

Sreth frowns, relaxing a little Sorry sir, blowing things up is my specialty, not mental stuff.

If they can control one of those things, if that was the artifact and not the spell, then they are of some serious power. I suggest we move on and find a new place to be as they can now easily bomb us from a couple thousand feet up, and we would be able to do little.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Those ... those ... NO! They were NOT sacrificial lambs; why did they have to ...

Angrily, Azariah dismisses the wall of force, and marches, clanking slightly up to the spot where the two goblins died, and sighs.

Sorry about that. I'm just not comfortable with ... this.

Regardless, Sreth was right. They knew where we were. They could easily have killed us with that Sphere - goodness, that sphere: as far as I know, there is only one way to destroy it, and that is to create a gate that encompasses it - they threaten us with the 'real test'. I shudder to think what that might be. Put simply, we aren't safe here, especially if even the Union sentinels are worried.

We have a few options:

• Sigil - possibly the safest place one could be in the middle of a planar upset, since her Ladyship of Pain just blocks off all the portals. That, however ... might be a bad idea. If, as you say, the gods favour you, that's a one-way ticket to getting you mazed. Shan't go there.
    • City of Brass - weeell, it's controlled by the Sultan, that's saying a bit. He's harsh but fair. The efreeti, though ... if something bad is going on, it is, sadly, more than likely that they are involved, probably on the wrong side.
    • There's planes, and there's planes ... anyone know of a friendly Prime that could offer us a base of operations? There's skyships in the Market Quarter, and I can offer pan-Shadow Plane transit.

We're wouldn't be fleeing - well, yes, we would actually, but I suspect that it would not be a good idea to catch the initiative from these malevolent types. That said, if they can sail their death-spheres around Union, they have enough power to potentially force our hand by attacking civilians.

Anyway, Kaelis - do you mind explaining what in Baator is going on? It's all moving ... a little quickly.
    Last edited by Illiterate Scribe; 2008-05-13 at 12:43 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

"I know only a little more than you. Heironeous and Pelor sent that Archon as my herald, and told me they wanted me as a possible new God. Hard to believe, I know, but the Archon can corroborate me. As to the rest of it... I truly have no idea. I would have questioned those assassins, had they survived, but..."

"I have no problem with fleeing. As any strategist can tell you, there are times when it is necessary- and times when it is unacceptable. I don't know which it is, right now- if they threaten the innocent, we cannot flee."

26. - Top - End - #26

Anya is a little overwhelmed by the whole thing, and her usual bored expression shows affectation for once. "This is a little much to take in all at once." She says, "I only arrived in Union a night ago, and now me and a number of others are being targeted?"

At the Generals words, she nods. "I agree. If we were to leave Union behind, then their power could only extend further, threatening the people who live here. But then again..." Now she sounds much less sure, "It is true that if we stay, the collateral damage could be enormous. Just seeing us in the middle of a crowd could prompt them to disintegrate masses of unrelated persons. This is a tricky situation..."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm ... definitely not Sigil then. So ... what shall we do? I am afraid that I am low on resources that could put up an impenetrable defence, but there is one thing that I can do. Our watchers should enjoy this; in fact, I'll be so kind as to give them a message, since I know that they are scrying:

As you are aware of us, we are now aware of you. I suggest that you consider your position well; perhaps we can talk about it sometime. Can we have some privacy first?

As she says these last words, Azariah runs a hand along her arm, brushing against a barely perceivable etching on her armour. She looks round at those assembled, unabashedly gleeful.

Well, as of now, we are officially off their scrying mirrors. That was some measure of protection against their further efforts (our souls are now temporarily excised from the truenaming divinatory matrix; it's a long, unutterably esoteric and dull subject, but the long and short of it is that our minds are blank to them); I felt that it would be unwise to discuss our plans while they were listening in.
    Last edited by Illiterate Scribe; 2008-05-13 at 02:49 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

The female Ranger Agnimia,speaks up breaking her silence. "My brother Regalid,has gone missing." "He had a commission from the Gleaners." "To recover a relic called Flameguard, a shield of great power." "The Gleaners sources place the Shield,in Kerleth's Tower." "This obsidian tower is located in the Elemental Plane of Fire." "My brother is long overdue." "I will provide you with any supplies,you need to survive,in the Elemental Plane of Fire." "I also have away to get there." "I will also reward you generously." "The Flameguard shield,must be turned over to the Gleaners." "If we were to help them,by recovering this Relic." "They would help us in dealing with the Garrote."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, something tells me that if the Garotte want something, then it would be a good idea to try to stop them from having it. Also, while I would not wish to presume on their good will, the Gleaners - I believe that they are the artifact-hoarders? - have resources to deal with the sort of threat that seems imminent. Anyway, the plane of fire - I can dispense energy immunity to you with some ease, and I have some magic derived from the demiplane of ice that might help, but ... er ...

She begins to pace up and down - and then stops, her thoughts finally coalescing into full form.

Something about this worries me. Not to cast aspersions upon your brother, but could he be a pawn in some greater game? Flame's known for its Tanar'ri populations and ... worse things.

30. - Top - End - #30

" Well what would you have me do?" We can not take on The Garrote by ourselves" We need allies." Even though The Gleaners may be on the greedy side." "They can deal with that Sphere of Annihilation." "If there is a bounty on your heads." "The Garrote has the means,to make sure you stay dead." "They are renowned for this." "The word on the streets,is that the amount of the bounty, on your heads is unfathomable." "My brother has many resources." "He may have the answers were looking for." "I know the risks are great." " I have a personal stake in this." "I can not abandon my brother." "I need your help and I'm not strong enough to do this myself."