New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
    Default Erfworld families

Something worth noting:

If I have this right, on Erfworld, only royals have parents, and each royal has one (1) parent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtkeeper View Post
    Dude, we're geeks. Overanalysis is our job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingel View Post
    You are funny, ideasmith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadskye View Post
    I really like the way the Awareness school came about. I created a Detection subschool, which you reinterpreted into a conceptually distinct Awareness subschool. Then I misinterpreted what you meant and created yet another conceptually (slightly) distinct Awareness subschool. Teamwork!
    My Extended Signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld families

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Obviousness aside, the main point is that words referring to family concepts (e.g. "father", "descended", etc) simply don't mean quite the same thing in Erfworld.

So, yes, it seems that only units popped as heirs have a "parent" in the Erfworld sense of the term, and only a single one.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-05-12 at 10:10 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Which raises the question of whether 'units popped as heirs' is the same thing as 'royals'. This certainly seems likely, but you never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtkeeper View Post
    Dude, we're geeks. Overanalysis is our job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingel View Post
    You are funny, ideasmith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadskye View Post
    I really like the way the Awareness school came about. I created a Detection subschool, which you reinterpreted into a conceptually distinct Awareness subschool. Then I misinterpreted what you meant and created yet another conceptually (slightly) distinct Awareness subschool. Teamwork!
    My Extended Signature

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ideasmith View Post
    Which raises the question of whether 'units popped as heirs' is the same thing as 'royals'. This certainly seems likely, but you never know.
    I think that parentship is nonsensical in Erfworld. Each and every troop is "son" of the key leader that paid for is creation. The only additional trait between the Heir and the Leader is that he is supposed to consider the Leader as his father, because of a convention.
    Now this is just a feeling, as there is only a couple father-daughter shown, and Banhammer wears an helm all the time, but there is not even physical resemblance other than dark skin, that is probably a Side trait. An heir seems to be just a "Troop + Royal Stats + Heir contingency", with no parental issues.
    Even the hard relation between Banhammer and Jillian proves nothing. King Banhammer is reported to be harsh and graceless with all subordinates.

Ps: not a so obvious thread.

Laurentio

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Do Heirs pop as adolescents (say, about 16 years old if age meant anything)?

Clearly Jillian had her growing pains and teen angst... ;)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio View Post
    I think that parentship is nonsensical in Erfworld. Each and every troop is "son" of the key leader that paid for is creation. The only additional trait between the Heir and the Leader is that he is supposed to consider the Leader as his father, because of a convention.
    Now this is just a feeling, as there is only a couple father-daughter shown, and Banhammer wears an helm all the time, but there is not even physical resemblance other than dark skin, that is probably a Side trait. An heir seems to be just a "Troop + Royal Stats + Heir contingency", with no parental issues.
    Even the hard relation between Banhammer and Jillian proves nothing. King Banhammer is reported to be harsh and graceless with all subordinates.

Ps: not a so obvious thread.

Laurentio
    Link between Leader and his Heir might not be just a convention, when designating a heir cost a lot of schmuckers - it's more likely a part of the system as well as loyality, which works differently for normal troops than for warlords.

@Capt'n Ironbrow: Erfworlders pop as adults It was stated in one of klogs and Wanda clearly doesn't know what a child is. If there were any exception, shy would probably know.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

It's interesting to note that even relatively heroic characters like Ansom show a marked lack of maturity in some ways. Stanley comes off much more like a child who never learned to share his toys than an evil overlord in a serious fictional setting, Jillian appears largely motivated by perversity, and Ansom was way too vulnerable to Parson's taunts--someone he knew was an enemy should not have been able to play him like that, at least without being a whole lot more subtle than Parson was. I think perhaps skipping childhood isn't good for Erfworlders, psychologically speaking.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Or its a children's game so the characters all behave like children.