New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Pius Fidelis: Convert the Karksh

This is the thread for IC interaction with the Karksh. Please do not post here until turn 2. For a description of the Karksh, please see the Species Status Thread. The OOC thread can be found here, though if you've been playing the game you probably knew that.

From here on out, it's all IC. Good luck!
    Seek ye not the source of honey, lest ye find it.

-The True Jerian Rumple

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Pius Fidelis: Convert the Karksh

Turn 2.1, Karksh

The lake floor is teeming with life. Small speedy fishlike creatures practically fly in the waters that are their home, snacking on those lower than them in the food chain, some things barely visible particulates in the water. Bigger creatures in turn feed on these shimmering swimmers, some like them, others more like the legged bretheren that evolved to live on land.

Down deep below the ocean waves, however, on the very bottom of the lake, rested a frilly forest of underwater plants drifting lazily in the currents. Slowly some kind of shimmering slime crawls up the side of one of the plants and begins engulfing it, dissolving away the stalk until it falls. The slime, strange fronds of some kind of sparkling substance winding its way through its body, begins dragging its way back from where it came from, even as the plant continues to dissolve into its body. Finding other beings like it, it contacts them and begins speaking. To those unfamiliar with their language, it would sound in their head like the crashing of ocean waves, the shifting of silt, and the gnashing of teeth as predator devoured prey. To those that were familiar with it, it sounded much the same, only able to connect a few words to sounds.

"...Food...eat...where....tribe...?" spoke the returning Karksh, who called himself Fasha, lugging the ocean plant.

"...Behind...not far..." spoke the other, Shhhp, frustrated.

The Karksh were intelligent beings. They spent much of their idle time in thought. Unfortunately, when the are of telepathy was first discovered, each individual Karksh had already developed their own language. They had managed to make some progress in forming a standard language, but it was slow going.

Fasha continued to digest and carry the food around Shhhp. This in itself was an arduous task. Fasha could see Shhhp fine, because Shhhp was alive. But the rocks and the silt that lay between him and his goal couldn't be seen, for they did not resonate with life. So Fasha felt his way around them, over them, and occasionally through them, if there was a large enough gap, his fluidlike body easily sliding through narrow spaces. Finally he crested an invisible hill and saw those like him spread out in the small valley below. It was like one huge organism spread out on the lake bottom, made up of many idividuals like him. For as long as he could remember, which admittedly wasn't that long, as he was young, that was how they had always existed. One large group, some going out to collect food, others staying behind to make more. But with the ability to speak, things would have to change. Even barely able to understand each other, there was dissention. Some wanted to do other jobs. Some wanted to stay, some wanted to go. As the language grew, so did the factionalization. Fasha wondered how long things would stay the same.

He reached the main collection and touched the outer edges, transferring some of the sustenance from the plant, now fully dissolved, into the Karksh he touched, Fip. That food would slowly spread throughout the area, sustaining them and preventing their need to get their own food. Fasha was annoyed. He secretly enjoyed feeling so full it hurt, but he couldn't keep it all. It wasn't possible.

"What?....Fasha....pain?" asked Fip, picking up on Fasha's thoughts.

"No," thought Fasha, and tried to calm himself. There needed to be change. Language, motion, anything. Change.
    Last edited by Jerian_Rumple; 2008-05-28 at 02:38 AM.

-The True Jerian Rumple

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Tek

Turn 2.1

Tek’s Avatar arrived to the sea of k17 with loud splash. Crying a loud yelp he quickly extended 4 secondary legs and rose from the water. Tek waited to dry his body under the sun, water obviously added to his list of hated substances.

About 15 feet in height Avatar moved to the sentient beings of this region. As Tek arrives to the large enough collective of locals he uses his miracle Winds of Words so that his speech would carry far and clear.

Tek’s words filtered through the painted smile on the Mask of Benevolence sound kind and hopeful “I am Tek, of Communication dominion. I come here to bring to progress and change.”
    Last edited by Thelonius; 2008-05-28 at 04:19 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ardannis, turn 2.9 (shortly before the end of the turn)

The avatar appears near where he has seen the strange Karksh, but almost immediately realizes he can barely manage staying afloat in the water. Spluttering, his avatar disappears as soon as possible, rematerializing in the Outer Plane ((at the end of Turn 2)).
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikeklos, Turn 2.1
    Ikeklos reached for the deep blue of this landscape, seeing and feeling the residents within. Far from the edge of the deepest concentration of life, out where an unnatural creature formed. 9 ft tall, and 4 ft wide/deep, the creature had a central body, supported by 6 spindly legs, from which jutted a torso which bore four thin arms and a head.

It scuttled along the seabed, enjoying the complacent cold down here. It knew what it was seeking: It needed to find individuals, and enough of them to matter. They must begin learning the truth. If this world was how Ikeklos knew and feared, they must to avoid their own destruction...

Ikeklos scuttles along until It can find a Large population cluster. There, He will begin his important work.

"I, Water-Dwellers, am Ikeklos. I am a being unlike any of you, nor like any beast you have seen before. I am a Deity. An idea made manifest. And I have come... Because you have need of me.
    It pauses a moment, letting that sink in.
    "I have come to aid you. I will show you a great Truth, should your people be willing to accept it. And if you do, you shall reap great benefit, as well as my protection. But if you do not... you, and all your kin, will, in your ignorance... Be the end of all you know."
    Ikeklos, though sure in his purpose, is unnerved by the sheer numbers of individuals.
    "Who, amongst your kind, is willing to come away, for a short time, to learn that which will save your people?"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tumine, Turn 2.1

Tumine drops from the sky into the open water, feeling at home. She is about eight feet tall, and immediately begins swimming powerfully, down, towards the strange blue-green lights she can see on the seabed. These must be the creatures she's looking for.

She quickly finds the largest settlement she can, easily picked out by being the largest mass of light that she can see, aided by the Eye of the Sea hanging around her neck.

As she descends, she begins to...communicate with the creatures. She's not sure how she can, but she knows she is able.

Hello. My name is Tumine Barok. I am not like you, as you can probably see. I am the spiritual embodiment of the water you live in.

Tumine pauses, not sure how fast these creatures can comprehend what she says, and not wishing to overwhelm them.

I am here to help you. There are others like me, embodiments of other things, who would do you harm. Will you listen to me? I will give you the knowledge you need to protect yourselves from them. Will you listen?
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turn 2.1, the Karksh

There is utter silence for a few moments, then almost as one the cry spreads among the populaiton.

"Other! Other! Other! along with a lot of unintelligble blabbering as every Karksh tries to say more in its own particular language, but it's lost in the din.

As more beings shwo up, the cry gets amended to "Others! Others! Others! and the Karksh react, drawing in on each other, forming a tighter and taller bundle. It's unclear what this would accomplish, but nonetheless it's what they do.

Gradually the clamor calms down as it becomes clear that they are not under immediate attack, and an excited murmer takes its place as each Karksh tries to tell its fellows what it thinks happened. The common wondering is if "not-life" was talking to them, and if so how could they see what was actually doing it, but again the barrier of a common language prevents from getting very far.

Frustrated, Fasha wonders to himself what caused these sounds in his head, and how did they speak so clearly. Were there others who spoke exactly like him? Could they...

His voice adds to the few that call out as loud as they can telepathically, Tek? What are you? We accept change, and talking. Speak more!"

Still others, more, begin to call, "Tumine? You are...water? Yes, protect us from the other Others. We are frightened for the Karksh! Ikleklos threatens us! Tell us more!"

Few cry out to Ikeklos, at least few that can be heard over the din of the tribe as each Karksh tries to outshout the others, but one voice makes itself heard. It is Shhhp, calling out as loud as he can.

Ikeklos? You are here to give us fact? You threaten, but offer fact. I will take facts. I wish to travel. The world is large, and the Karksh need to see it. I need to see it!"

Those are the summaries of the responses, not counting those still huddled in fear at the bottom of the pile, though that Karksh themselves barely know it. To most of them, it sounds like their fellows are making random thought-sounds, and they were the only ones making any sense.

((OOC: Just a reminder. They see life. Immortals, in the strict sense, aren't alive, so they can't see any of you, only hear you.))
    Last edited by Jerian_Rumple; 2008-05-28 at 03:36 PM.

-The True Jerian Rumple

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikeklos, Turn 2.1

Ikeklos, mindful of the Karksh's limitations, seeks to seize upon a living plant or animal, whatever is more readily available, to use as a beacon for following Karksh.

"Follow, then, Truth-Seekers, for you amongst the Water-Dwellers may save your kind."

Ikeklos leads what few may follow away from the settlement, until it finds a smooth surface. It situates itself in front of it.

"To know all the truth at once would be to dabble with hopelessness. Instead, I shall start simply.
    Do not heed the fear of your fellow Water Dwellers. I have come not to threaten your people. I bear them no ill will, nor will harm them. Instead, I come to teach the Truth, so that you may avoid harming yourselves.
    Know this, the First Great Truth: Waste Will Harm You.
    It is because of this truth that I chose to speak to you. Know this: There are others like you, but different. Intelligent, but different in mind and body. But none were such natural candidates for the Truth as your people, the Water-Dwellers. It is for this reason that you are my Chosen people.
    Already, you heed the First Great Truth. You waste little, and share evenly, so that all may benefit, and none may be lost. If you continue on this path, you will benefit as your people grow.
    Others like me will meet your people. They already have. Listen to each with great care. Some will bring you benefit. Water-Weaver will wish you no ill, I believe. Others will ask of you needless waste. Know this, that I will protect you from the Wastels, should they threaten your people.
    Before I continue, do you have any questions, Truth-Seekers?"

9. - Top - End - #9

Tumine Barok, Turn 2.1

Calm yourselves, friend Karksh. I do not believe Iklekos bears you any ill will. However, there are many others like me, and they would have you fight each other, or other creatures. They would see you build weapons, see you make fire and death. They may tell other creatures--for there are other creatures, not like me and not like you-- to come here, to attack you and take from you. With my guidance and protection, however, you can learn to defend yourselves if necessary, and learn to improve yourselves, to become stronger, smarter, and healthier.

I realize that you cannot see me; I am a Goddess, and not truly alive, as you are. Give me one moment as I find a way to allow you to see where I am...
    As Tumine is talking, she swims quickly to the closest large plant that she can find, carefully uproots it, and swims back with it, so the plant is now floating where it shouldn't be, good enough to catch their attention.

I am holding this plant, which I will give to you in a few moments, but for now, I will hang on to it, so that you may see where I am.

As I said, I am the embodiment of water. I am also the embodiment of life, or Growth, and I can help you all to grow and prosper beautifully, like this plant here.

Once she's sure the Karksh can see her and the plant she's holding, Tumine will infuse the plant with life energy, causing it to burst with vigor and spontaneously grow slightly, a few tiny buds appearing and bursting open into full bloom, with wavy tendrils that play merrily in the water.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Tek

Turn 2.1-2.7

Tek speaks slowly and loudly so all Karksh would hear and understand him:

"I wish to help you form a single language. You’ll be able to share facts between each other and grow intelligent and wise. You’d be able to express your wishes to others, to seek your own happiness. You’ll be able to plot and plan together to defeat dangers to you. Such is my power and I offer it all to you."

Tek looks at two other Immortals, preaching to Karksh, and continues:

"Listen to what others may say. You may learn some useful facts from them. I just urge you to be confident in yourself. Fear not the future; seek to explore and expand, not to hide and wait."

(Present Immortals would hear his speech as completely dry and emotionless, as they are immune to the effects of Mask of Benevolence)

Tek begins creation of unified Karksh language. He helps participating Karksh, using his affinity with Communication domain and ability to understand everybody. He is careful to avoid dominating the process, but instead tries to empower and support the most intelligent and active Karksh.
    Last edited by Thelonius; 2008-05-28 at 03:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

((First, ooc, Ikeklos and Tumine, how did you both know that they couldn't see you? I edited the original to make that apparent, to prevent time-consuming fixes, but keep this in mind. Tek, good job.))

Turn 2.2, the Karksh

Ikeklos

Shhhp speaks up. "Ikeklos. What are you? Are you not-life? How do you speak? How do I understand? The Karksh cannot speak among us, but you speak good. How? What?"

Fortunately enough was understood by the other Karksh that the question was not repeated, though they were all thinking it. "Ikeklos...what...not-life? How...speak? How...hear? Karksh...no...speak...you...speak. How?..." is more or less what they understood, but it was enough.

Tumine

As Tumine goes off to gather her plant, the first questions arise.

"Fire? Weapons? What...are...?

When she returns they fall silent, focusing on the floating plant. As she continues and makes it bloom, the Karksh watch it shift.

"Change! She made it change and grow! How did you do that, Tumine? How did you change?" cries Fip, a member of those watching Tumine. Similar exclamations come from the rest.

Tek

Once Tek mentions he can help them learn a common tongue, a mass of Karksh swarm towards where they think he is. "Tell! Tell, Tak, tell!" With his divine guidance and mediation, they slowly begin to make leaps and bounds in the creation of a common language to be shared, ideally, by all Karksh.
    Last edited by Jerian_Rumple; 2008-05-28 at 04:21 PM.

-The True Jerian Rumple

12. - Top - End - #12

Tumine Barok, Turn 2.2

(ooc; you mentioned it in another post so I figured it was one of the things we already knew; blah blah the discussion in the OOC thread, etc. )

I can teach you to help plants to grow, too. Not quite like this, but you can raise whole fields to grow up strong and healthy, so you don't have to search farther and farther from your home to find new food.

Tumine swims down closer, slowly, and extends the plant towards a member of the big Karksh glob. Take this; it's yours.

I know many of you want to learn from Tek, and you should. Listen to him. Communication between all of you is important. I will return in a couple days. Tell those who aren't here now about my visit, and when I return, I will have much to teach you.

Remember, do not be swayed by the words of the other Gods. Iklekos and Tek will not harm you, I believe. But there are many others, and they are not kind. Do not listen to them, and I will protect you from them if needed. Remember that I am the one who loves you; has your best interest in mind. I look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Tumine drifts gently upwards to the surface, and then dematerializes.
    Last edited by Dr Bwaa; 2008-05-28 at 08:07 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikeklos, Turn 2.2

(As history politely rewrites itself, Ikeklos feels a little sheepish)

Ikeklos ponders. The question was interesting, as Ikeklos had only a rudimentary knowledge of it itself. How to explain it?

"I am... an Idea. A concept. A little difficult to explain. I do not live, like you. But I exist, like a thought you may have. I am an intelligence, given a physical shape."
    Delicately, Ikeklos reaches out to touch Shhhp with a large hand. He hopes that the Water-Dwellers are capable of tactile sensation.
    "Know this, Truth Seeker, Proof of my existence. This is what I am, and the others are like me. We do not live. We think. We speak. We exist.
    Know this: By following me, you have shown that your people have beyond a natural potential to receive the Truth: You also have the will to learn it, to cast away fear and anxiety, and accept the Truth. With this, you will be the salvation of your people... and of others, as well."

Ikeklos reaches out a second hand, to cradle Shhhp. If Shhhp does not resist, Ikeklos lifts the Karksh to itself get a better view.
    "You were the one who wished to travel. Your enthusiasm will serve you well. For if you wish to receive the whole Truth, you will need to travel... Even beyond the waters."
    Ikeklos puts Shhhp back down.
    "What further knowledge do you want, Truth -Seekers?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turn 2.2, The Karksh

Tumine

Young Fip is the one that the plant touches, and it begins to dissolve into her, even though she doesn't mean for it to. "Thank you, Tumine. We look forward to you coming here again." With the Immortal's apparent departure, they slide over towards Tek so that they too can learn the new language.

Ikeklos

Shhhp recoils at the contact, surprised, then reaches back. It feels like a blind man trying to form a picture in his mind, the way his membrane runs along Ikeklos' hand. "You are cold, Ikeklos.

Shhhp, due to his size and flexibility is incredibly difficult to handle, but Ikeklos is able to pick up some of him. Since he is touching him, he is able to tell that he is nervous, but excited. "Outside the waters? But there is no outside the waters. It is death." This sentiment is echoed in various forms throughout the group.

-The True Jerian Rumple

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Fabacillus Bile, Turn 2.2

The dirt-spawned creature peered through its pool. After a brief period of observation, it brought its avatar into existence, in the form of a wrinkled and emaciated human, at the back of the immense crowd gathered around its fellow Immortals. He arrives just before Tumine leaves--long enough to barely catch the end of Tumine's speech.

"And with growth, comes death, and the renewal of growth," it said, with an unearthly and un-Karksh voice. "I... apologize for the sudden interruption, but I felt the need to add to Tumine's declaration. I, like my fellows Tumine and Ikeklos, am a teacher, here to guide and help you as you develop here."
    Last edited by Wizzardman; 2008-05-29 at 11:40 PM.
    Tallest member of the fanclub.

Orc-y member of the Therkla fanclub.

Spoiler
    Show
    \"Run away!\"&&-------------Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Kill Pelor. Problem solved!"----Mewtarthio

"Voldemort: Avad-- chhkttt
    Vader: I find your lack of hygiene disturbing.
    Voldemort: *dies*."---Tirian

Quote Originally Posted by Bears With Lasers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    How many hit points would an earth-sized planet have?
    All of them.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikeklos, Turn 2.2
    Ikeklos pauses.
    "Though true now, it..."
    Then it pauses for a slightly longer time.
    "I will not burden you with the entire Truth now. Know this: There is life upon the land. If you truly wish to travel there, if you learn to conserve your energy, you will be better capable of doing so. For now, I leave the rest of you with this. Follow me."
    Taking its sweet time, Ikeklos touches each of the Truth-Seekers gently. Abandoning the plant, Ikeklos gives it to Shhhp. Leading the Karksh with its hand, Ikeklos instructs the followers to follow him further away from the settlement, until Ikeklos reaches a largish stone, preferably with some vegetation around it. Then, Ikeklos sets about its task. Ikeklos is clearing a small area around the stone it found, clearing away debris, and pulling up plants. It begins with the stone itself, and then proceeds in growing concentric circles.
    "Waste not, want not," it says, carefully piling the plants amongst the creatures. "Eat to your fill. Then, go, and share it with your kind. Let them know that I have made this place mine, and shall return here. It must be prepared, but I am loathe to waste even a scrap.
    Ikeklos only pulls enough plants until the Karksh are full. Then, it instructs them to return to its kind, and share that bounty, and what truth has been given.
    After they leave, using what space it has made, Ikeklos takes up to Turn 2.5 time to erect a rudimentary structure from what stones it can find. It does not even need to be a shelter, just a totem of sorts, to help Ikeklos find this place again.
    Then, not absolutely certain how, Ikeklos attempts to demanifest.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turn 2.2, The Karksh

Iklekos

Life out of water?...

They follow Ikeklos and gratefully accept the food before heading back to the collective, not seeing what Ikeklos is doing to the lake bottom, nor caring. They have to return and spread what they have learned.

Fabacillius

Tumine's group turns towards where they think the new Other is.

"Other? We were supposed to be afraid of other Others..."says Fip. The other Karksh get, "Other? Karksh...afraid...others..." Although a few dissent, trying to clarify, a good deal get the message and telepathically sent their assent. "Why should the Karksh trust you?"
    Last edited by Jerian_Rumple; 2008-05-29 at 12:01 AM.

-The True Jerian Rumple

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The avatar smiles. "You're right, of course, you shouldn't trust me yet. Then again, you probably shouldn't trust any of us; I can almost gurantee you that any of our kind who visit you have their own agendas. Fortunately, most of these agendas are more beneficial to you than harmful.

"I can teach you how to store food--how to keep it so that it won't spoil or rot, and won't cause your people to get sick. I can help you grow the crops that Tumine promised to teach you how to plant, and I can help guide your people in the ways of charity and generosity."

"However, mere promises should not be enough for you to trust an outsider like myself. I ask that you give me a mission--some action, or beneficial event--that would help me prove myself to you and your people. This way, I can help you, and prove my worth."

OOCEdit: Sorry about how late this post is; its been a busy week. I promise that things will clear up, and I will be able to post more regularly, once the weekend arrives.
    Last edited by Wizzardman; 2008-05-29 at 11:48 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

All of them.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turn 2.2, The Karksh

Fabacillius Bile

Fip is confused. Very much so.

"Mission? Task? Why would we give an Other a mission? We didn't ask for you. Tumine gives safety, and is water. Tek gives words, which we need. Ikeklos...I am confused with it. I don't like that Other. Why I came to Tumine. You offer...what is to 'store' food? What is rot? Spoil? Tumine can make things change. Grow. Can you? And...charity? Generosity? What are these...?" Fip and the others begin to back away, though each is now trying to talk to Fabacillius. There were too many concepts and big words coming from Fip to convey. Still, all having Tumine's words fresh in their minds and not understanding the things that Fabacillius offers, they all resume heading towards Tek and the others.

-The True Jerian Rumple

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The avatar followed, keeping pace with the Karksh. "Tumine can make things grow. I can make things stay. I can make your food last longer before other things start growing on it. I can prevent some diseases--I can sometimes stop your people from being ill or sick.

"...Tumine makes big things grow. Plants, animals, food. I help little things to grow, or stop them from growing. All I'm asking is that you let me show that I can help you. I want you to decide for yourselves whether you want me around or not."

Spoiler
    Show

All of them.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turn 2.2, The Karksh

Fabicillius Bile

They continue to move on. Most ignore him, having made up their minds. Fip hesitates though, and begins to think.

"Food...last longer? Food lasts until it dies. You can make food stay alive longer? But...why? There is enough alive now. Stopping sick, I guess that is good. Can you make the Karksh live longer then? And the Karksh cannot make you leave. Stay if you want. Don't hurt us."

The others begin to leave Fip behind.

-The True Jerian Rumple

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Tek

While Tek teaches Karksh language, he should gleam some common knowledge about their culture and habits.

1. Do Karksh keep track of time in some manner?
    2. What happens with the dead Karksh?
    3. How decisions on where and when to hunt or where to live are made?
    4. What Karksh think of their Telepathy?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turn 2.5, The Karksh

Tek

If he asks, he is told, mostly by Fasha, who has become the unofficial spokesKarksh for the group, mostly everything he wants to know.

1. "Time? There is food time, when food is needed. Rest time for rest. Time happens when it needs to. Days? What are days? What is light?"
    2. "Dead? The Disappeared Ones? There are Karksh who no longer make noise and who become not-life. If we find them they are pushed to the outside. There the water or the Arkshrash gets them."
    3. "Hunt? Gather food? We gather food where there is food to gather. If there is no life there, then some are sent to find new life-food. We find more food and gather there. Always gather food. Constant. Where to live? This is where we live. This area, protected by not-life. Many wish to change, but it is not going to change. The Karksh are no match for the Arkshrash or anything else. We do not want to disappear."
    4. "The thoughtspeak? We do not understand the thoughtspeak, though I think I understand it. Now it is more a trouble than a help, because no one thinks in the same thoughts. Except the Others. How do the Others speak in all thoughts? If thoughtspeak became the same, it would be good. That is why the Karksh listen to the Other Tek."
    Last edited by Jerian_Rumple; 2008-05-30 at 11:11 AM.

-The True Jerian Rumple

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turn 2.99, The Karksh

Tek

Under the tutelage and guidance of Tek, the development of a common language among the Karksh grows by leaps and bounds. Some of the food given by Ikeklos gets lost on the way back, as it dies off and can't be found again, but most makes it. Once back to the main group, they use the discussion of Ikeklos as a learning aid for the new language. Fip and those that heard Tumine and Fabicillius join up and tell what they know. As the language begins to grow, it becomes clear that division has begun to grow in the Karksh society, splitting it into three parts.

End of Turn 2

The first group, which constitutes about half the Karksh, mostly older ones, says that, Others or not, the Karksh way of life should not be changed. Expansion outside of the not-life shelter should only occur if and when there are too many Karksh to support.

The second group, led by Fip and Fasha, advocate expansion at a reasonable pace. They say that the Others have demonstrated that there is much more life and not-life, and maybe even more things in-between, than the Karksh ever knew about, and that the only way to find the life is to search for it. They want to gather more food, make more Karksh, and then send out scouting parties to find other possible places where not-life shelters them.

The final group, consisting of mainly those who listened to Ikeklos directly and led by Shhhp, want to expand -now-. Ikeklos said that other life lived in the not-water and did not die, and they want to learn how. They won't take no for an answer, and begin preparing for a journey.

Despite all of this shuffling and change, the Karksh pay little thought to the Others. Some said that they would return, some didn't. They await the return of them, so they can fufill promises and explain more, but they figure it will happen when it happens. They don't understand anything about worship or prayer, and so they return to their daily lives.
    Last edited by Jerian_Rumple; 2008-05-30 at 10:08 PM.

-The True Jerian Rumple

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikeklos, Turn 3.1
    And so, it begins again. A cold chill on the floor of the lake. A few wisps of colder water slowing and sinking. And then, with a degree of displacement, the familiar shape of Ikeklos seeks to return to the Karksh.

It forms again well outside the settlement, scuttling in on the lakebed. When it sees the Karksh once more, it states, simply, "Truth-Seekers, of the Water-Dwellers! I, Ikeklos, walk among you again. I have come to further teach the Truth, and to help your people along their way. Speak now, my Truth-Seekers, if you wish to hear of it."

Provided that some of the Truth-Seekers report their existence, Ikeklos asks them a simple question.

"Truth-Seekers, have you remembered the First Great Truth? Have you sought to uphold it amongst your people?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turn 3.1, The Karksh

Ikeklos

The Karksh population starts again when Ikeklos is heard, though the startlement lasts a shorter time.

Shhhp calls out with his mind, as he is widely recognized as the person to talk to Ikeklos.

"Hello Ikeklos. Yes, we remember the truth. Waste not, want not. But we have argued for a long time, Ikeklos. What is waste? We eat, and we share, but we always did that. Is waste of life waste? Is staying in the not-life a waste of life? We want, so do we waste? We are confused! Tell them that travel is what we must do! We must leave the not life! Tell them Ikeklos!"

-The True Jerian Rumple

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikeklos, Turn 3.1
    Uh-oh.
    Ikeklos is given pause. It had chosen the Karksh as its chosen race particularly because they were so judicious in sharing and avoiding the waste of their resources. It had hoped to foster this. It seems, however, that something it said has prompted the desire for a divinely-inspired Migration. Odd.
    Ikeklos ponders this for a while. A migration of any scale consumes far more resources than a sedentary style. The potential for waste is increased, as well...
    On the other hand... They will need to move in order to adapt to land... And that will be important...
    More information. That is crucial.
    "First-Speaker," it says, addressing Shhhp, "It does me well to hea-- feel your voice once more. It does you a credit, as well, that your Truth-Seekers have remembered my words. It is true, that you did not need to change much of your life to hold with it: That is why you are my Chosen. You already abide by much of the Truth, without even knowing it. And yet, I he-- sense your troubled mind. You wish to Travel? Where to, my disciple? You fear the Not-Life? Why so, my disciple?"
    Yes... Disciple. It had a good ring to it. Ikeklos preferred being able to speak to Shhhp, knowing that it would speak for the Truth-Seekers. It kept things... Simpler. Perhaps Shhhp should know it as well. But later.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turn 3.1, The Karksh

Ikeklos

The Karksh confer among themselves for a bit, and then Shhhp speaks again.

"We do not fear the not-life. It has kept us safe for as long as we have thought. But you, the Others, came, and we want to go elsewhere. We wish to find other life. We wish to talk to other not-lifes. We wish to talk with other thinkers in the not-water. We have ideas. We want to learn their ideas."

-The True Jerian Rumple

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikeklos, Turn 3.1
    Uh-oh.
    It was pretty much as Ikeklos suspected. They moved so fast... But the momentum was already there. To stanch it here would be to waste it. Perhaps... perhaps this could be used.
    "You intrigue me, First-Speaker. Your eagerness... It is not fueled by crude emotion. There seems to be no greed, no fear, no anger to it. It is mere wish to better yourselves that compels you. I had believed that it would take much time to accustom you to the idea of life beyond the water. Now I see that you are eager for it. The process may not be a quick one, but there may be ways to hasten the process... without undue waste."
    Ikeklos glances about. There is much of Karksh biology it is unaware of... and this, it knows, is a problem. This is a great undertaking... but, for some reason, Ikeklos is... excited? Perhaps.
    It new it had chosen the Karksh for a reason.
    It nods. "Very well. It shall be so. I will lead your Truth-Seekers to the shallower waters. There, you may begin to learn of the Earth beyond the water. There, you may adapt to it. But the undertaking will be great, and I will need to prepare. But first..."
    Ikeklos lowers its main body to the lakebed, sitting as well as it can. It touches Shhhp, beckoning it closer.
    "Your people have impressed me with your dedication, First-Speaker. For this, I will share a more of the Truth with you.
    Know this, the Second Great Truth: Beware of the Clouded Mind.
    The intelligence you possess is the greatest asset you have. It is your ability to think that sets you, and the Deities, apart from all other things, all other plants, all other animals, all things. But there is much that can cloud the mind, and threaten to Usurp it. Be mindful of your emotions. Anger. Fear. Lust. Despair. Do not ignore them, for they are important. But do not let them master you. Control yourself, and think. Do not give in. For, in mastering your emotions, you will learn to master your own mind. And, in this, true strength may be found."

Ikeklos pauses. Much weighs on his mind.
    "Remember this Truth, Truth-Seekers, as you do the first. I will remain with you for a short time, but I must then go. Your journey must have purpose. I will find you a new land in shallower waters, where you may learn of the Earth beyond the Water. I will then return. But you must prepare as well. Prepare for a long journey, in whatever way you can. Store food, or at least designate some to be left alone, until before you leave. Inform any who wish to join. For when I return, I will lead your people to a land where you may prosper, as you do here. But first... There is much I must know. First-Speaker, my disciple, now you must teach me. What do your people need?"

Ikeklos asks a variety of questions about Karksh ecology; what they eat, where/when they sleep, what upon, etc. It wants to make sure that the new land is not deadly due to ignorance. As before, it remains long enough to answer questions the Karksh may have.

With this completed, around Turn 3.15, Ikeklos sets out towards shallower water, in a straight line. It looks for signs that a place is suitable for Karksh habitation: It proceeds directly towards shallower water, and then searches up and down the coast until it can find lands at least as rich as the ones the Truth-Seeker Karksh are leaving, or close to it. It is willing to take up to Turn 3.4 for this, but will return sooner if it finds good land closer.

(OOC: I'd detail this a little better, but I don't know if the fertility rating of plots is directly correlated to all species. I expect that I18, right next hex towards land, is equally as rich as this one, but I'd rather err on the side of caution)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turn 3.1

Ikeklos

As Ikeklos speaks, the rest of the Karksh, sitting not too far away, begin to mutter discontentedly. Shhhp and the others pay them no heed however. When Ikeklos says he will lead them, they are very happy.

At the utterance of the second truth, they seem to ponder this. "Don't need emotions. Think before feeling. Yes, I think we understand," says Shhhp. As Ikeklos asks, Shhhp answers.

"The Karksh eat the life. The tall thin life, sometimes the clumped life. Both are stationary life. The fast life we do not eat, because we can't catch it. We sleep here, of course. On the not-life, on the Karksh, where there is room and safety, we sleep. We sleep when we are tired, and wake when we are not. We are afraid of the Arkshrash, big fast life that disappears the Karksh. Like the Whishish, too. It disappears Karksh sometimes. The Karksh hide in the rocks, so it is hard for them to get us, but they do. If Ikeklos was with us, you could drive them away, maybe? The Other Tumine of the Water said that it could protect us. Can all Others protect?

Turn 3.15, The Karksh

After Ikeklos leaves, the colony erupts in a silent cacophany, as each Karksh sends its own thoughts and transmits those that it agrees with.

"...cannot take our food for the silly trip..." ."..don't trust other Others, Tumine told..." "...must learn more as a group of Karksh before..." "..let you go? The Karksh move as one, and..."

It continues like this for a short while, then Shhhp gets those willing to leave with him to start sending calm. After a while things return to a quiet mental buzz. Finally Shhhp begins projecting, and the Karksh relay it to those others around them, as is the custom of a race who can only project about half their full body length away.

"We Karksh are going to leave with the Other Ikeklos, and you Karksh should not stop us. We will need food, so as Ikeklos said, we shall be-"

He gets cut off by a thought originating from Shisha, one of the eldest Karksh not yet Disappeared.

"You Karksh? We Karksh? We are one Karksh, not two. It has been strange since the Others showed up. It has been strange with the skill to talk. It has been strange, but it will not be -wrong-. You are splitting the Karksh, and take many to their Disappearances. You would Disappear yourself and injure us? It will not happen!"

"You speak with a Clouded Mind, Shisha, just as Ikeklos warned! You speak from fear and anger. We speak from reason!"

"No, it is you who speaks with a Clouded Mind, Shhhp!" comes a new thought, from Fasha. "You speak from anger and want, not from reason. Reason says that we wait until we are strong, not spring only to be Disappeared by the Arkshrash and Whishish! Reason says we wait."

It continues like this for a long time. Outnumbered, Shhhp and those willing to go on the trip do not get a chance to reserve any food.

(OOC: Yep, all fertilities are the same right now.)
    Last edited by Jerian_Rumple; 2008-05-31 at 03:16 AM.

-The True Jerian Rumple