New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: GitP Prestige Class Contest Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Zak Crimsonleaf View Post
    Looks like we have a good variety of entries up so far. I'm not using the default elements, which I hope is allowed. Wu Xing does actually mean 'five elements' or 'movements' or 'phases' or something like that, according to Wikipedia. Like most of my classes, it's overpowered and trying to do too many things, but the idea was an interesting one, so I'm putting it up anyway. Advice is welcome.
    Do you have to choose a particular element? I didnt't notice if it said so anywhere. Plus you may wish to define the Channel the Inner Element somewhat more thoroughly. Does knowing what element dominates a person give you any real advantage at all? Is knowing their health similar to the Deathwatch spell?
    Last edited by Bhu; 2008-12-11 at 08:28 AM.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

First draft on Miasma-mancer is up... PLEASE critique...
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes, you have to select one element. I thought I had said that somewhere in there, but I'll make sure it's clear on that point. And no, knowing an inner element provides no statistical advantage, it's more of a roleplaying option. I'll work in more detail on the health bit. No, it isn't like Deathwatch, more like hit point total and medical conditions.
    Lao Tzu
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished.
    A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving.

Samurai, Anachronisms, and Swords
    Spoiler
    Show

Builder of the:

Jomei, Wandering Miner (Now an avatar thanks to Nevitan)

Avatar: The Last Airbender fanfiction:
    Scorched Earth

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

Elemental Anathema 0.5 is up. Wondering if I should just do a 10 level PrC instead of 20. It fits nicely.

EDIT: @Draco Check your spelling on some of those class features you use an = sign instead of a - hyphen. I like the concept, it's not a bad one, but you might want to check Energy Admixture, and explosive spell, they're both from Complete Arcane, one lets you mix energy types in a spell, the other one let's you mess with area damage.
    Last edited by Aergoth; 2008-12-11 at 09:13 PM.
    You don't want the monster? You don't throw the switch.
    Awesome Avatar by Starwoof

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    First draft on Miasma-mancer is up... PLEASE critique...
    Is it finished? The class abilities arent up yet cept two.

Are the 11th and 12th levels supposed to be there? They don’t have class abilities or BAB listed.
    Orcs and Goblins

6. - Top - End - #186

I can has feedback?
    But seriously, any thoughts on making it a 1-10 PrC?

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    Is it finished? The class abilities arent up yet cept two.

Are the 11th and 12th levels supposed to be there? They don’t have class abilities or BAB listed.
    If it was finished I wouldn't need critique.
    No seriously... I posted it while it was rather sketchy so I could get some very prelimiary feedback to see what people thought of the basic concept... as usual these days I was running behind due to a lack of mental energy (exhaustion for no easily explained reason). Please help me out here people...

EDIT: Ok, just the fact that you said even that much has given me the strength to post a bunch more of the abilities.

11th and 12th levels are their just in case I decide to break the mold and not HAPPEN to make it have a number of levels evenly divisible by 5. Easier to take them out at the last minute than to add them in if I decide I want them and previously took them out.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2008-12-12 at 08:02 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Color Tweaker's up, critiques please.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Oh crap! I just realized I should probably post my latest creation in here! The Soulfire Invoker. Screw off, esoteric energist!
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Well, just make sure to make a seperate thread for the Esoteric Energist rather than depriving us of it.
    Extended Signature

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Well, just make sure to make a seperate thread for the Esoteric Energist rather than depriving us of it.
    It already has one.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Critics needed/wanted on Color Tweaker.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

I can probably take a look at that today some time... you mind returning the favor on the Miasma-mancer? I still need to put in the spells they get added to their spells known for free and maybe one or two other things... but I still would like to know how everything else works...
    Of especial interest is how I made their spellcasting advance both faster and slower than a single classed sorcerer or wizard due to not having full progression... but having MORE than full progression in certain ways... seemed a good way to make the level that you enter the class more flexiable while still giving the bonus spells known and spell-slots.

Copying this below so I can edit step by step... will be editing in rounds, so check back from time to time...
    Quote Originally Posted by ozgun92 View Post
    Color Tweaker
    There is no strong nor weak. There's right color, and wrong ones., Coltwe the Color Tweaker
    I am going to assume you didn't grow up speaking English... nothing wrong with that of course... but it is leading to some muddy grammer in places... will try to say "fix this" or provide specific edits in some places, but I don't know if I feel like getting EVERYTHING for you... perhaps the help of others could cover some of that...

Here it should say "There is the right, and the wrong ones."
    Color Tweaker is the utilizer of elements to empower or weaken forces.

BECOMING A COLOR TWEAKER
    Color Tweakers become so at great understanding of nature and various elements of nature.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    : Neutral on good-evil axis, being a Color Tweaker needs equal judging of everyone, and lacking commitment to the good or the evil.
    Your grammer is poor here, and your philosophical explaination insufficiently developed...
    : No innate energy resistance
    Should also include immunities as well as resistances.
    : Knowledge (any 2), 8 ranks each
    Probably want to include at least "Unarmed Strike Class feature" as a requirement here... since this seems a monk-focused PrC...
    Class Skills
    The Color Tweaker's class skills are....Appraise, Balance, Craft, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Hide, Knowledge (all, taken individually), Listen, Move Silently, Search, Spot, Swim, Tumble

Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int
    Hit Dice: d8
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
    1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Color Force (+1), Primary Color(1), Colorful Rush
    2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |-
    3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Primary Color(2)
    4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Color Force (+2)
    5th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Secondary Color(1), Share the Color
    6th|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Primary Color (3)
    7th|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Secondary Color(2), Color Force (+3)
    8th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |-
    9th|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Secondary Color(3)
    10th|
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Black and White, Color Force (+4)[/table]
    Weapon Proficiencies: A Color Tweaker doesn't gain proficiency in any weapon or armor.

Class Abilities

Colorful Rush(ex)
    A Color Tweaker gains +2 to initiative checks and +10 to base land speed when not wearing any armor or wearing light armor.

Color Force(ex)
    You should have an explicit reference to the existance of the explanation of the functions of the various colors somewhere in this section. As it stands it is too confusing.
    A Color Tweaker has the ability to manipulate elements of his choice.Turning off the power of a color is a swift action, and turning on is a free action. The Color Tweaker can't have more than one color active at a time. (It can't be dispelled or supressed, because it's an extraordinary ability, and not merely magic)
    A Tweaker, although able to use Color Defense as much as he desires, is only able to use Color Touch 1 minute/level for every color. It need not be continous, yet the smallest interval is 12 seconds, except Black and White touches, which have their own limitations.

-Color Defense

-Resistance to EnergyType, 5 * Color Force
    -Orange, Black, White are exceptions, see color descriptions

-Color Touch.

-A Color Tweaker can make a melee touch attack with the color of his choice. That touch attack is considered an unarmed strike, for all purposes. Upon hitting, the Color Tweaker deals his normal unarmed strike damage, and color effect with the color he's currently using. Color Touch can apply to all unarmed strikes, so it can be used in conjuction with Flurry of Blows done with unarmed strikes.

-The Color Tweaker can also choose to make a ranged touch attack with the color of his choice. Such an attack has a range increment of 30 ft, and can be used to make as many attacks as your base attack allows. When used ranged, the Color Touch can be used in conjuction with feats like Rapidshot and Manyshot.

The Color Tweaker has +1 modifier to Color Force at 1st level, and it increases by 1 every 3 levels.

Primary Color
    A Color Tweaker is proficient with the primary color of his choice. Once chosen, it can't be changed, yet new ones are added as Color Tweaker's experience in tweaking goes up. The Color Tweaker can choose one primary color at first level, one at third level, and one at sixth level.

Red; Fire
    Red Touch deals 1d8*Color Force fire damage for every hit.

Blue; Cold
    Blue Touch deals 1d6*Color Force+Half Enemy's HD (upto 3) cold damage for every hit

Yellow; Electricity
    Yellow Touch deals 1d6*Color Force electric damage, and you get +2 to attack rolls if enemy is wearing metal armor, or +1 to attack roll, if the enemy is bearing a metal shield or weapon.

Secondary Color
    A Color Tweaker, in addition to his proficiency with Primary Colors, gains proficiency with Secondary Colors. At level 5, he gains one Secondary Color, at level 7, he gains another, and finally at level 9, he completes his palette of colors. First Secondary Color has to be the mixture of the first 2 primary colors you choose. Purple for Red/Blue, Green for Blue/Yellow, Orange for Red/Yellow.

Purple; Sonic
    Purple Touch deals 1d6*Color Force damage, and ignores hardness of any object, when attacking objects.

Green; Acid
    Green Touch deals 1d4*Color Force damage when you first deal your damage, and half that damage for next 2 rounds.

Orange; Earth
    Orange Touch deals 1d6*Color Force damage, ignoring any damage resistance. The fact that there's no Earth Resistance, improves the power of Orange Touch. Orange Defense provides you with 2*Color Force/- damage resistance.

Share the Color
    As a swift action, you may lend one or both of your color abilities to anyone you touch. When you lend them your ability, you can't use it till you recall the ability from the person you've lended, as a free action that doesn't need touching.
    If you change the color you're using when you've lended an ability, that ability also changes accordingly, and you don't need to touch them again to bestow it again, unless you've recalled your ability since the last time you bestowed it. The sharing lasts until you recall or 10 minutes, whichever is sooner.

Black and White
    Upon reaching tenth level, the Color Tweaker gains the ability to make use of Black and White colors.

Black; Negative
    Black Touch bestows 1d4 negative levels per touch, and you can only use Black Touch equal to your HD every day. Black Defense reduces the negative levels you get by 1, if you're ever on the receiving end of negative level dealing.

White; Positive
    White Touch, instead of dealing White Damage, heals 4d8 damage per touch, and you can only use White Touch equal to your HD every day. White Defense provides you with 10 resistance to every energy.

As normal, every negative level to be dealt on an undead instead gives them 5 temporary hitpoints, and healing instead damages them.

PLAYING A COLOR TWEAKER
    A Color Tweaker lives behind the meatshields of the team, giving close support, holding breaches whenever necessary.
    Combat: Color Tweakers generally rush in fast, deal considerable damage, then fall behind the main fighting line to support them. Their Colorful Rush helps them use this tactic, yet other tactics are possible.
    Advancement: Most Color Tweakers advance to classes focused on unarmed striking, as their main power is using unarmed attacks in conjuction with Color Touches.
    Resources: Color Tweakers usually see nature's adjustment to circumstances as the ultimate way of surviving, so they live in nature, with harmony with it.

COLOR TWEAKERS IN THE WORLD
    Those are not light effects, that's a Color Tweaker!
    Color Tweakers are usually treated with respect by those who want to learn more about the forces of color and elements. Anyone who first encounters a Color Tweaker looks down upon them for, until they realize the force they bear.
    Daily Life: Most Color Tweakers live in the wilderness, although there are a few that live in cities. The ones living in the wilderness work on improving their bond with the nature, and their force upon the colors, while the ones in the city are usually those that believe they've reached the limit of the force of colors.
    Notables: The most notable Color Tweaker is Coltwe, the founder of the forces of color. Color Tweaking is not learned in a school, it's learned by experience, and from other Color Tweakers.
    Organizations: When said organizations, Rainbow Guild is the first that comes to mind about Color Tweakers. The Rainbow Guild's sole purpose is to understand colors deeper, and find powers of other colors. The organization, although mostly joint by Color Tweakers, is home to many monks and druids who want a deeper understanding of the power acting upon the world.

COLOR TWEAKERS IN THE GAME
    Resistance/Immunity to a damage type won't stop experienced Color Tweakers, as they can quickly change their color and keep on pummeling with the new force. Damage Resistance does slow the Tweakers down, as the only color that can bypass DR, Orange, deals less damage than other colors.
    Adaptation: Most Color Tweakers are monks who went for a deeper understanding of forces. PCs, and NPCs could be seekers of force, which they would gain as they gain experience with the usage of their force.
    Encounters: This is a place to describe what sort of encounters PC's will have with NPC versions of your class.

Sample Encounter
    Traon, a Color Tweaker, blames the town of disturbing nature and tipping the balance of colors. The PCs arrive right at the moment Traon starts blasting the people in the town, and they should put a stop to his fury, although they know he isn't evil.
    EL 15: Traon's only aim is to make people understand the balance of the nature, and the colors. He won't attack who's willing to come to terms with him, yet he attack anyone who sounds threathening to himself or the balance.

Traon Colorweaver
    Lawful Neutral/Male/Human/Monk 5/Colorweaver 10
    Init +10, Senses: Listen +20, Spot +20,
    Languages
    Common, Terran
    ------------------------------------------------
    AC 23, touch 17, flat-footed 19
    HP97 (15d8 HD)
    Fort +10, Ref +11, Will +10
    ------------------------------------------------
    Speed 50 ft. (10 squares)
    Melee 16/11/6 (for unarmed)
    Base Atk +11/+6/+1, Grp +15
    Atk Options
    Flurry of Blows, +15/+15/+10/+5, 2d8
    -----------------------------------------------
    Abilities 8 Str , 18 Dex , 15 Con , 14 Int , 13 Wis , 12 Cha
    SQ Flurry of Blows, Evasion, Still Mind, Ki Strike (Magic), Slow Fall 20 ft, Still Mind, Colorful Rush, Primary Color(Red, Blue, Yellow), Secondary Color(Purple, Green, Orange), Share the Color, Black and White, Color Force(+4)
    Feats Improved Initiative (Human), Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple (Monk 1), Combat Expertise (Level 1), Combat Reflexes (Monk 2), Weapon Finesse (Unarmed) (Level 3), Improved Disarm (Level 6), Weapon Focus (Unarmed) (Level 9), Improved Natural Attack (Level 12), Deflect Arrows (Level 15)
    Skills Listen 18, Spot 18, Knowledge (arcana) 18, Knowledge (religion) 18, Tumble 18, Balance 18
    Possessions
    Monk's Belt, Bracers of Armor +6, 10k worth of other stuff.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2008-12-13 at 11:37 AM.
    Extended Signature

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

I'm not a native English speaker, will try fixing the grammar/typing errors. The colors are defined below their respective titles, Red/Blue/Green under Primary Colors, Green/Purple/Orange under Secondary Colors, Black/White under Black and White.

I'll check your's when I'm home, I'm at a friend's right now, so I don't have much time.

Edit: Fixed the ones you commented on. This is not a monk-oriented class, it's just usable by monks. Rangers that take archery style also make excellent Color Tweakers, as they can use Rapidshot and Manyshot and the likes with Color Touch.

Edit2: I started checking your class, and I have a few concerns about it.
    1- You haven't explained what Smoke-Casting is.
    2- You should follow the pattern of casting through the class, if it's empty-full-full, it should keep on like that. At least that is how it goes through all PrCs available. Also, Breath Anything should be around level 5-6, it's practically useless when this close to Breath Nothing.
    3- You talk of an ability Endure, which you haven't explained.
    4- The class is too weak, I don't know how to balance it, but it is.
    5- You should fix typos. Smokesight or Smoke-sight, not Smoke=sight.
    6- You forgot a "Class Ability" at level 4
    7- You're missing the last 2 levels. PrCs last 3, 5, or 10 levels, there's none that lasts 12 to my knowledge. Even if you want to make it last 12 levels, make the last 2 levels be worth something.

I'll add more comments as you keep going :)
    Last edited by Eloel; 2008-12-13 at 02:36 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

11th and 12th levels are their just in case I decide to break the mold and not HAPPEN to make it have a number of levels evenly divisible by 5. Easier to take them out at the last minute than to add them in if I decide I want them and previously took them out.
    I like it so far. Im curious as to what Endure is. I'd also give it some sort of + to the Save DC's of gaseous or smoky spells.
    Orcs and Goblins

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Made some corrections/updates... thanks for the help guys...

Not sure that pumping the DCs is necessary or balanced... the Smoke-casting (which admittedly had the crunch hidden under "Spell-casting" up until now) is extra spells, including sometimes ones of a level that a single classed wizard or sorcerer (whichever they were before they entered the class) couldn't cast yet... IE a 5th level wizard 9th level Miasma-mancer can cast Summon Monster VII (as long as he is using it to summon Smokey Floaters) whereas a 14th level wizard can't cast that spell at all...
    Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

After calculating the miasma-mancers spells per day, recalculate as if they were 2 levels higher, any spells per day in the second set that are not in the second may only be used for miasma-mancer bonus spells
    Any spell in second set not in second set? What?
    Miasma-mancer bonus spells, oh great, uh, wait, what are they?

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

I've added a bunch of the info after the crunch for the soulfire invoker. I'm quite proud of this one, and I need to develop this more in another thread.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Any spell in second set not in second set? What?
    Oops... should be "any spell slot or spell known in the first set that is NOT in the second set". I think I fixed this now, as well as adding in the stuff I had in mind to keep it from becoming obsolete when Epic levels are reached...

Miasma-mancer bonus spells, oh great, uh, wait, what are they?
    I haven't written the list yet...Now in the process of writing that out... but it is pretty simple in concept... anything that conjures (summoning or calling, doesn't matter) as long as it is used for smokey floaters and any other native of the para-elemental plane of smoke... plus " Smokey" spells like Obscuring Mist, Fog Cloud, Cloud-Kill, Solid Fog, Incendiary Cloud, Gaseous Form... NOT Mind Fog... I will probably decide to say that they can cast Wind Walk as a 6th level arcane spell.

Edit:
    Have put in a quote of someone else talking about the class (the "Sorry, but I didn't actually SEE anything..." bit), as well as a tentative picture (supposed to be the gnome...) here is another possibility:

Edit^2: Continue to add to the spell list, also added the ability to craft Furtive Filchers. Decided that with the spells I was adding that would not normally be arcane, that I need to reign the class in some, so I added a feat requirement, and then a limitation on spellcasting that is made somewhat more harsh by the reduction in the usefulness of said feat.

Edit^3: Have gone ahead and edited the original image I used which can be found in the spoiler below. Will change it back if that is a problem copyright-wise...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2008-12-14 at 02:09 PM.
    Extended Signature

20. - Top - End - #200

No thoughts on my Anathema?

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright. My Elemental Champion class has been pulled out of cold storage, touched up, and thrown into the ring. Any critique would be most helpful.
    Awesome Avatar by Shattersnap.

Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to El Goonish Shive for the banner image.

Give a player a fish, and he’ll probably try to sell it to an NPC fisherman.

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

When/Where is the poll? :P

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Realized I goofed and forgot the "Planar Binding" spells. Since I consider this on the level of a typo, I went ahead and edited it in.

On a separate subject:
    I strongly suggest staggering the due dates for this contest away from VTs monster contest, rather than having them simultaneous.
    Extended Signature

24. - Top - End - #204
    Barbarian in the Playground

But...but...on the month is so easy! I thought of staggering it, but then thought that it would be easier to just do on the month starts. I also thought about giving you guys more than 2/3 of a month to make them, but then thought that a month should be enough time. I might increase the time to a month, and have voting happen while the other one starts. That was the other time limit I had in mind.

Also: gingerbread houses took 6 hours, so I'll start the voting thread tomorrow. It will last 10 days like normal though.
    My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help? Want to see what I've done? Want to see what others have done well? Check it out.

Join the PrC creation contest!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DonThelonious
    ...But you have never given any bad advice as far as I have seen. Not to mention, unlike some other people I see around here, you actually know what your talking about.

Trust dman11235.

25. - Top - End - #205

Voting thread is posted, and I'm sorry Elemental Anathema, but since your table was really messed up I couldn't accept it. Honorary mention, I guess.
    My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help? Want to see what I've done? Want to see what others have done well? Check it out.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...But you have never given any bad advice as far as I have seen. Not to mention, unlike some other people I see around here, you actually know what your talking about.

Trust dman11235.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

Voting isn't even over and I'm already itching to see what the next one shall be.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Why don't you go ahead and vote?

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Why don't you go ahead and vote?
    I feel it's a bit of a conflict of interests.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209

Quote Originally Posted by dman11235 View Post
    Voting thread is posted, and I'm sorry Elemental Anathema, but since your table was really messed up I couldn't accept it. Honorary mention, I guess.
    Damn it. I was out of town, with no internet. It would have been nice to know... I'd edited the damned thing before I left.
    Last edited by Aergoth; 2008-12-26 at 03:31 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210

Get your creative hats back on, the contest returns tomorrow! It's not late (really...I swear...), I'm just staggering it 5 days off the first of the month (just for you Vorpal!). Also, the creation time will be upped to 25 days. From now on the contests will be ending on the last of the month (usually), and voting will end 5 days into the next challenge (usually). Voting doesn't end until midnight btw....really things end when I close them in case you've missed it.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.