New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Default Erfworld 110, Parson's Klog 12

Some insight on Stanley's continued importance....

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 110, Parson's Klog 12

More like some insight in to buggery nothing.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

How is Ansom a munchkin?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

K - I need some help figuring out the pic above the klog...I see an over flight of dwagons, and Stanley and the foolamancer approaching something. A group of 3 people (looks like Mung-type gobwins) surrounded by a sleeping dwagon. Is it just me or does Stanley look worried? Maybe wistful or lonely?

I guess the biggest thing I'm trying to figure out from this is: Is this a plot-forwarding item, or just an indication that Stanley's group is bedding down in preparation for the turn ending. We went from day during the battle at Efdup, to what looked like sunset in the last klog, to what looks like dusk here.

What does everyone think?

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Charlicat View Post
    K - I need some help figuring out the pic above the klog...I see an over flight of dwagons, and Stanley and the foolamancer approaching something. A group of 3 people (looks like Mung-type gobwins) surrounded by a sleeping dwagon. Is it just me or does Stanley look worried? Maybe wistful or lonely?

I guess the biggest thing I'm trying to figure out from this is: Is this a plot-forwarding item, or just an indication that Stanley's group is bedding down in preparation for the turn ending. We went from day during the battle at Efdup, to what looked like sunset in the last klog, to what looks like dusk here.

What does everyone think?
    I think he's a bit worried about being out in the open -- he'd expected to use the Foolamancer to veil, but that isn't working out for him.

The group of three Mung-types is presumably the three KISS units he brought along when he bugged out.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

So, Wanda blew away the air forces to protect Stanely... good move, now Jillian's forces will only really have charlie's archon's as the bulk of their forces, and we can't be sure that they alone will be enough

Also, we finally get a solid answer to "what happens when Stanely is croaked"... only field units get disbanded right away, everyone in the city is fine... bit of a mix up, since many people thought that ALL units get disbanded

As for Stanely, he doesn't look too happy... little worried maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Harr View Post
    How is Ansom a munchkin?
    Well, like wanda, Ansom is still very short compared to Parson (human erfworlders are like 3-4ft tall or something)... Also there's some possibility he could be talking about a Marbit fishing him off... either one works though
    Last edited by slayerx; 2008-06-29 at 11:47 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Well, like wanda, Ansom is still very short compared to Parson (human erfworlders are like 3-4ft tall or something)... Also there's some possibility he could be talking about a Marbit fishing him off... either one works though
    Could be, but I think it's a more straightforward expression of disdain for Ansom's plan to win through superior brute force.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yeah, now that you mention it, he does seem a little lonely. (not happy that he's not allowed around the fire)
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I think he looks lonely because despite posturing as this powerful warlord-warrior, he's not really accepted as 'one of the guys' by the Knights.

Maybe he's also missing his favorite croakamancer, who seemed to be the only person he ever opened up to (and even then not much).

10. - Top - End - #10

Another thought occurs to me -- perhaps Jillian thinks that Wanda rejected her proposal to croak Stanley to "free you up" because Wanda doesn't trust Ansom's side to capture rather than croak her.

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    I think he looks lonely because despite posturing as this powerful warlord-warrior, he's not really accepted as 'one of the guys' by the Knights.

Maybe he's also missing his favorite croakamancer, who seemed to be the only person he ever opened up to (and even then not much).
    Perhaps. Stanley definitely seems to be rather moody, and becoming depressed as the grind and danger of following up on his determination to "walk the path alone" sets in would be perfectly in character.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-06-29 at 12:41 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Another Klog? They're just filling aren't they? So can't Stanley designate a successor? But he's a bit stuck up for that.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Hmm. My first thought was that by "munchkin", Parson was referring to the low ranking masses that would be sent to overrun the Garrison. But i agree that he may be using it to mean a bad gamer. Except, i don't think that could appy to Ansom.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by the_tick_rules View Post
    Another Klog? They're just filling aren't they?
    You'd rather nothing instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Stepping back out of the story and thinking about wargames in general, i think it's quite reasonable that killing a leader ends a side, at least in a game where all issues seem to be purely personal. But here's a question-- what of a conquered side that was never destroyed, and that has a designated heir-- when the conquering side is neutralized, does the conquered side regain its original loyalty? If so, Jillian would be able to claim her city just by entering it openly.

I'm still waiting to see what happens when Parson has a whole sword.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Munchkin

I presume he's making the gaming reference to 'munchkin' as a person who is a rules exploiter/monty haul type, wanting all the best stuff and a char/position that's got an unfair advantage over others. Whcih is interesting, since Parson is looking for every advantage of working the rules he can get. Of course he doesn't have the munchkin advantages of 10x as many troops, a 'divine' mandate as royalty, etc. That's the munchkin side.

What I thought was interesting is the question of how much of the flying unit is left. Since there was enough left to croak Wanda if they'd wanted to, clearly they weren't beaten, just bruised up. Of course, if they are damaged enough they'll do poorly against Stanley and his remaining dragons which should be fully healed at this point. Y'never know.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post

I agree Fendrin. I just wonder now if he never had it, or if the pressure of command made him loose it. I suspect its the former, he prolly thought with power he'd get friends. Though it makes me wonder why the old King liked him so much?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_tick_rules View Post
    Another Klog? They're just filling aren't they?
    If it were pure filler we'd get no content. The klogs give us a chance to hear Parson's moods and thoughts, particularly his struggle to find a way of out this no-win scenario. On top of that they gives us more information about the world and its rules in a manner that might otherwise require several pages of traditional panels.

While they might originally have been intended soley to compensate for Jamie's schedule, the klogs are now an integral part of the storytelling, and I appreciate the back-and-forth between the two.
    If you can read this you are too close.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Another couple of interpretations of Stanley's expression are that he's feeling wistful because he's not "one of the guys" anymore or that he's upset because he's realizing how far he's fallen that these guys are all he has left.

Or possibly the people around the fire are independents (or former allies/enemies) that he wants to recruit, and he's not sure how it's going to go.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

The plot thickens! Sounds like this is effecting Parson way more then he thinks, though.
    Since the main RPG is so big, I decided to start with just a topic on here as a kind of demo. The Link is below. Click it if your looking for a homebrew catacomb quest of epic proportions!

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...40#post4525140

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm willing to bet, barring external non comic factors, that stanley won't be croaked anytime soon, but, on the other hand, we still don't know what the "special" is, it could mean that if stanley does bite the big one, that Parson gets the city.... anti-climatic really, but, you never know..

and as much as I'm not a fan of the parsons klog stuff, honestly, I think el writer dood, should renumber the pages, and add it as part of the whole thing, but, whatever. I like em now more than I did before, I'm just starting to get into the comic, but I like it, first I didn't, but now I wait with abated breath. :)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Parson is clearly not a munchkin. But he's definitely the ultimate rules lawyer.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Firest View Post
    Or possibly the people around the fire are independents (or former allies/enemies) that he wants to recruit, and he's not sure how it's going to go.
    ... You completely missed the smiling Dragon that's curled around them, didn't you? O_O;;;

In other news: Heehee, the dragon has such a cute smile. ^_^

Also: Ok, we know what would happen if either Stanley or Parson fails. Is it can be pwning time now please? XD
    Last edited by BarGamer; 2008-06-29 at 02:19 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Chadwick View Post
    Though it makes me wonder why the old King liked him so much?
    He won battles for his former King, and presumably had the sense to conceal the more boopheaded aspects of his personality from him.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    He won battles for his former King, and presumably had the sense to conceal the more boopheaded aspects of his personality from him.
    He may even have been boopheaded only after becoming overlord. (Especially if he was innocent in King Saline's death, a subject on which I have no strong opinion either way. If he didn't plot it, he could have seen it as a sign from the Titan that now that he had one of the Tools, he had to rule.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Sky_Schemer View Post
    If it were pure filler we'd get no content. The klogs give us a chance to hear Parson's moods and thoughts, particularly his struggle to find a way of out this no-win scenario. On top of that they gives us more information about the world and its rules in a manner that might otherwise require several pages of traditional panels.

While they might originally have been intended soley to compensate for Jamie's schedule, the klogs are now an integral part of the storytelling, and I appreciate the back-and-forth between the two.
    I like the klogs. My thought is that the last klog, this klog, and possibly one more klog (maybe) are doing the necessary background storytelling to set up all the action for the next day - which I'm going to guesstimate will be many traditional back to back strips as we approach the climax of this chapter. Personally, I'd rather have 2-3 quick klogs in the shorterm to explain everything the readers need to know (including character motivation via rules info and mood portraits), and then some AWESOME uninterrupted storytelling in the longterm at this point in the series.

The Bachelor's in English Literature side of me approves...the MBA side of me wants the printed books to come out soon so I can feed the demand curve.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by timothyx View Post
    we still don't know what the "special" is, it could mean that if stanley does bite the big one, that Parson gets the city.... anti-climatic really, but, you never know..
    Maybe "special" means that he doesn't freeze if Stanley dies. This would allow him to make a run for it before the city is overwhelmed. Maybe, he could use this to try to be rescued/recruited by Charlie.

He isn't affected by turns in the city. According to the previous page, only he gets tired, so it would sorta make sense.

Everyone else draws their movement ability from the rules of the world but he has to move on his own power, but that could also means when the city stops, he still can move.

It may even be possible for him to move around outside the city without caring about move and turns (just his own run speed).

Another option would be that it allows him unfreeze the whole zone. He wouldn't get automatic loyalty like a king/overlord, but maybe he could convince the others to follow his plan anyway. This might be a little overpowered though.

27. - Top - End - #27

I think that Ansom looks so sad because finally he realized the really big boop he has gotten himself into.

And then he looks at his loyal soldiers, who are happilly chating by the fire, and this makes him even sadder.

It's one of these "OMG what have I done? They fought for me, they are willing to die for me, they're there all happy trusting I have a good plan, and I'm leading them all to their deaths because I was such an idiot! How did I reach so low?"

This is, even Ansom is bound to have sentiments. Power rose to his head when he become boss, and now he seems to be starting to recover his reason.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-06-29 at 06:01 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BarGamer View Post
    ... You completely missed the smiling Dragon that's curled around them, didn't you? O_O;;;

No, I saw it, but there's nothing that says Stanley is the only one with dragons.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Munchkin

Quote Originally Posted by Fez View Post
    how much of the flying unit is left. Since there was enough left to croak Wanda if they'd wanted to, clearly they weren't beaten
    That fits with Jillian's command "scatter and rendezvous" and Wanda telling "Didn't lose".
    Also, Jillian most likely is still too much attached to Wanda to attack her seriously.

But we also know nothing about the strength of the airunits involved, and how much reinforcements Charlie will bring in.
    Last edited by hajo; 2008-06-29 at 07:06 PM.
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Another thought occurs to me -- perhaps Jillian thinks that Wanda rejected her proposal to croak Stanley to "free you up" because Wanda doesn't trust Ansom's side to capture rather than croak her.
    Hmm. An even further step down Delusion Road for the barbarian princess? I guess whether or not she does, and how desperately Jillian would cling to it, will answer the question of whether she's a Broken Bird or not.

It would be interesting to see her STILL believing in Wanda to some degree, but I think it's more likely that she'll be disillusioned and heartbroken at this point. Though where that'll lead her characterization for the rest of the story I don't know.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"