New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Nobilis: A Game of Powers

Um, Mike? Lets find out a few things first, ok? So boss, do you care how we do it, or what form of Tyranny we set up? Or does it just need to BE a form of Tyranny that everyone will remember?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

"You would do well to mind the property of others, brother," Anne says in a tone that suggests warning. "This does not seem a difficult task. Our worshippers in the Prosaic are well funded, and quite capable of finding us a suitable mortal."

"You have an expert on Tyranny with you. Perhaps he will be able to tell you what is most suited when the time is right." Soraire glares at the family, apathetic about the powerless impudence of the Power of Memory, but quite irate that they are, in fact, still here.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

*Looks at Anne* I'm sorry, I thought asking questions was part of MY property.
    *Looks at the others* Shall we get moving then? We've got work to do, so let's get moving.
    with that, David moves towards the door.
    Delphi, prepare a report on the current social-economic, political, and religious situation on Earth. Let me know when it's done.

4. - Top - End - #64

Spoiler
    Show
    Anne's remark was directed at Mike's abuse of her furniture, actually.

Report underway. In the meantime, feel free to discuss amongst yourselves... out of earshot of Soraire of course.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Heh. I think I'll leave it as is. Let's see where a misunderstanding gets us.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Roy blinked; slightly taken aback at the petting. Then he blushed slightly…and for all the life of him he couldn’t understand why. He’d been patted. Appreciated even. And something deep inside him, tied inexplicably to Soraire, had gone all warm and fuzzy at the attention. Not like a child does when their parent tells them ‘good job’ but more, perhaps a little depressingly, like a pet who’s just been treated for doing something it really can’t quite figure out.

It was the oddest feeling.

“Of course, Soraire…” his voice was smaller than usual, still in a bit of shock, as the humbled Baron of Tyranny followed David towards the door – his mind all a race with the ideas and plans and cunning plots to restore his Domain that he’d been working on ever since his arrival in Ataraxia. There was a way to bring it back into the world and the people would accept it…everything rode on the people of the world accepting Tyranny.

They would not find a tyrant, they wouldn’t need to, and instead they would let the people of the Earth choose their own. But Roy did not want humanity to build itself a gilded birdcage – living imprisoned. More a sandbox full of toys; a nice place to live that kept them clean and away from the dirty ground outside their artificial beach.

There was much to be done, his face lighting up with the joy of finally seeing the start of his quest, and with the help of all his celestial family it might not even take too long at all.
    "Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
    – said G. K. Chesterton

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

Abis turns to Roy,

"I am pleased that Lord Soraire has requested such a simple first task from you, Roy von Cale. What assistance do you require from the Power of Limits?"

Before Roy can speak, Abis continues:

"Advice, of course. The first thing that would be prudent to keep in mind, is that you will not draw a dictator from the ranks of the Cammorae. At least, you will not do so, if my view of your morals is correct."
    Last edited by TakeV; 2008-08-12 at 02:14 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

"Don't touch the Cammorae."
    Mike has calmed down now, and smokes away with a grim look locked upon his face.
    "Don't. Can't trust the bastards. Your best bet would be to find some subjagated peoples, help them fight and establish them as top dog. Crush a man, and as soon as he can he'll crush you with everything in his power. If that ain't Tyranny I don't know what is."
    He also quietly passes a note to Limits.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Written upon it is "Bet ya he fails within a month."
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

9. - Top - End - #69

"The Cammorae are fearful enough to know their place. Provided you make the effort to properly compensate them for their efforts, they will typically not attempt treachery." Anne rebuts.

Delphi responds with the following information:

(OOC)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The political climate is similar to that of the modern real world, but with a lessened degree of actual conflict. The destruction of tyranny had a marked impact in improving governance, as with no one able to seize power for themselves democracies becomes more effective and the once-derided communist countries functioning, stable, and healthy. In general, people are much more satisfied with their governments, and are both healthier and wealthier in general. This is of course, only a general rule. The divide between the haves and the have-nots is still wide, and while the wealthy can no longer wield their power over the common man as tyrants, the timeless bitterness between the rich and the poor persists.

That said, with diminished tension and conflict within countries, there is more of it to direct outwardly. The state is one of a global cold war, many nations warily adverse to their neighbors, for all the same reasons men have always hated other men. This perilous situation does however seem, at least for the moment, some what stable. This is because that it is the most impoverished places of the world that suffered most from Tyranny, and it is they that have benefited the most from its destruction. Generally improved living conditions throughout the world has decreased willingness to quickly enter into outright conflict.

Another contributing factor to the stable nature of the Earth is the increasing dominance of peaceful religions. The sudden inability of Earth's deities to be construed as tyrants resulted in some quite radical spontaneous reinterpretations, many of them as alien as the True Gods themselves. Animism has become one of the more prevalent mythos elements, with deities reflecting powerful forces of nature, as well as impartial judgment and balance.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way. Tyranny as a concept is mostly gone. Perhaps we can redefine it to our likeing so it is not as...damaging, or as easy a target.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

“Don’t worry, I never intend to touch the Cammorae. They’re rotten to the core; you can smell it on their breath as if it were the plague itself.” Roy passed through the door and waved his hand, the Chancel bending to his will like a potter shapes his clay. The space was spherical, with a large projector table in the centre – a holographic Earth floating above it all nicely lain out and colour coded. The Oracle-Net’s vast database was at their fingertips…the Baron of Tyranny tilted his head and lists of countries seemed to flash past at random.

“And…I actually think that’s already happened, David. At least a little bit anyway – I am Tyranny but, well, I’ve tried to inspire people to power but I can’t; no more than I can make a flower bloom. I’m control, order, direction – but not ambition or greed.”

Roy paused and sighed to himself, glancing over all the information: “Can I ask…what was the other Power of Tyranny like?”
    Last edited by Cannonball; 2008-08-14 at 01:14 PM.
    "Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
    – said G. K. Chesterton

12. - Top - End - #72

"He shared many of your failings," Anne responds, eyes on the circling Earth projected. "He also had reservations about being the essence of an Estate so despised. He squandered much of his power, and countless nights, on attempting to transform Tyranny into something else, something brighter." She looks up at Roy, eyes emotionless. "It was exactly what the Excrucians wanted him to do. Some of his final motions played precisely into their hands."

"You have some advantages, Roy, in that you have a clean slate so far as the world is concerned. None the less, for my part, I would advise against trying to change tyranny from what the humans themselves would clearly have it be."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

"He was also a bit of a git."
    Mike surveys the holographic Earth with a hint of a smile.
    "I remember you. I remember you well. What's your plan then Newbo Uno? Because if I know one thing about you, it's that you're a scheming little sod. So fess up."
    Nothing but a Nobody

Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Tyranny could only smile. He’d been waiting for someone to ask about the plan, and he had details and contingencies to spare...

“Of course I am – scheming is fun. Anyway, the point is I’m not going to fix my domain by finding a random, insignificant country and installing a despotic poser onto a gold-plated throne. Far too small scale – barely counts as an intervention…never mind the miraculous coup d'etat I’m looking for. So to start, I was thinking of picking one of these two places~”

The Earth flattened out and spawned two displays, all full of a frightening amount of information. They were, respectively, the second and third most ‘powerful’ countries on the planet.

“Seems ludicrous I know, but there’s a method to my madness. Put simply, I’m not going to force them into tyranny – I’m merely going to present it to them as an option and leave them no alternative. Not only are they locked into a cold war with each other, but no one likes the top dogs; there are dozens of minor, oppressed countries scattered across the planet that would love to cut them down to size but can’t…”

Roy paused for a moment and turned to the rest of his family, hands on hips and not a hint of anything but 100% belief in his own plan on his lips.

“I’m going to become a terrorist – the most dangerous terrorist in the world. We’re going to support a minor county – Mike, you can see to it that people remember this brewing in the country since time immemorial. We’ll be supposedly funded by the third most powerful nation on the planet; which should be easy enough to accomplish as all wealth follows our sister, Anna’s whims. Nothing says ‘act of pure Chaos’ like people covertly joining a terrorist organisation (enemy of the state is the very definition of anti-status quo) which gives us some credence in the world…!”

Nothing said ‘tyrant’ like a good, mad rant and Roy was currently in full swing; his spirit flaring as he become more excitable, exuding charisma and authority without any conscious effort on his part.

“And of course we’re not going to leave our terrorism to armatures. Not a chance! We have biomechanoid commandos and quantum hackers waiting for us to command them to action; our acts of sabotage will be perpetrated by the uncatchable, the untraceable and the unstoppable~!...” he stopped to breathe for a moment “…and here’s where it gets tricky. When our victim country starts to respond, he has to respond correctly. If he doesn’t dance to our tune then the plan falls to pieces and to see that happens we have David and myself: David who controls, all knowledge, can certainly manipulate people into choosing the ‘right’ ideas…ideas that seem to be the very essence of Tyranny; ones that, while beneficial to people when viewed objectively, are the sort of ideas that become gradually more controlling and restrictive than pure freedom.”

He sat back into a chair a twirled around on it a little.

“After the country becomes run by the rules of a benevolent tyrant, we simply replace the leader with a puppet of our own and take a direct hand in its governance. Play our cards right and we can snowball the effect - use the cold war state to our advantage and force the 3rd most powerful country (whom we initially framed) to go through the same process in the interests of ‘secruity’. Viola, Tyranny carefully implemented for the benefit of the people and my estate restored.”
    Last edited by Cannonball; 2008-08-15 at 05:08 AM.
    – said G. K. Chesterton

15. - Top - End - #75

"I like it," William says, beaming as soon as the prospect of sowing some disorder is raised. The current state of the world aggravated him greatly, and the desire to change it was strong.

"That is, however, a great deal of miraculous power to invoke lightly. The faintest suspicions of Noble tamperings, and our involvement will be easily traced, by curious Nobilis if not by the Excrucians themselves."

Ignoring her, William continues "I'll get John in position immediately."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel that I should point out that we WILL leave evidence behind. Which can be a problem for me.

17. - Top - End - #77

"What, afraid to get your hands dirty, David?"

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

There might be some miraculous power involved, yes. I admit that I don't like resorting to it if we don't have too when at all possible - hence I do intend to make use of our impressive resources as much as we can. However, the beauty of the miracles involved is they're...small scale. We aren't changing the world, just the minds of a few people."

Roy steepled his hands and looked at the ground in thought.

"The hardest part is influencing the powerful government members to willingly surrender themselves to tyranny - that's the bit most likely to be watched and tracked. Regardless, this plan is just a preliminary using all our unique talents. As we plot out the details, we should be able to readily replace some of our divine power with more mundane solutions. That's my hope at least."
    Last edited by Cannonball; 2008-08-15 at 12:29 PM.
    – said G. K. Chesterton

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

"If man could do something themselves, why would they rely on the power of Gods?"
    Mike looks at the map, flicking a cigarette stub through the hologram.
    "I don't like this Roy. What you're planning... it'll have a profound effect. Not just locally or even globally, but through time. This is the kinda thing that shapes history. I know. And it is going to attract Excrucians. Soon as they get a wiff of Tyranny they'll descend upon us... you. And I hate fighting Excrucians. I'm useless in a fight... I hope you aren't. Hate to lose a Noble in record time."
    He smiles to himself, amused.
    Nothing but a Nobody

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

"It must not be forgotten..."

Abis takes a quick glance at Memory,

"...that the Excrucians had fallen relatively quickly once discovered. There has not been a new breakthrough in some time, and the difficultly of such a feat shall grant sufficient time in which to prepare. By following Roy von Cale's plan, Tyranny will have gained considerable strength. Strength that would be far more difficult for an Excrucian to perform an attack against Tyranny again.

Your plan is a wise one, Roy von Cale.

However, I must confess my concern over one more loose end. Perhaps it would be prudent to seek Lord Entropy's permission before enacting this plan. I shall compose a letter. If any of you wish to seek me out, request that Delphi delivers a message.
    "
    Last edited by TakeV; 2008-08-15 at 01:32 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Not so much an issue of getting my hands dirty, as a...."problem" I've found I have. I can't destroy knowledge. Hide it, misplace it yes. Destroy it, no. Which means I can't hide the effects of tampering.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Mike shoots a sarcastic smile at Abis.
    "Har har. Never heard a pun like that before. Listen. Plan... what you need to plan. Do what you need to do. Leave me out of it as much as you can. I don't want to be connected with this. I have to be, because I'm connected to the Imperator, but I don't want to be. All this... planning and scheming, I am a man of action and right now I want my action to be getting the Hell outta this Chancel and going to Earth. We can plan when we're dead and we'll be dead when the Excrucians catch us. Well..."
    His smile now takes on a sinister tone.
    "You guys will be."
    Nothing but a Nobody

23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

"We're all worried about the Excrucians - even Soriare. This is why we have to do this. Not for my sake or our Lord's but for the sake of creation. Tyranny is weak, I feel that, but the wound isn't mine to bare. Our Imperator must deal with it while He fights a force beyond understanding or reason. Repair Tyranny and make Soraire stronger. The stronger Soraire is, the less likely He is to loose. The small the chance He has of loosing, the better off we and all of creation are."

Roy glanced over and watched the nano-cleaner dust eat away at Mike's cigarette; split it apart and chew it all down into parts too small for even his God-born eyes to see. He looked up and smiled back at Mike before glancing over at the Power of Knowledge again...

"David...time gets a bit funky around all this mystic happenstance. Is it possible for you to have a knowldge of the 'future' (as we understand it at least) by any chance? I only ask because it would be incredibly handy."
    Last edited by Cannonball; 2008-08-15 at 02:07 PM.
    – said G. K. Chesterton

24. - Top - End - #84

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll allow it, but it will be fuzzy, at best.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

I...can try. I'm kinda new at this sort of thing though. What are you looking for, specifically?

26. - Top - End - #86

William frowns as Mike snarks: "You're going to Earth... personally? Why in Hell would you do that? This is the kind of job we have anchors for."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

"You have anchors. I don't. Some of us have been around long enough to learn why Entropy forbids love. Besides, I like Earth. Nice place. Very big. Very free. Not like this Hell hole. 'Course it's very free 'cos Tyranny got killed, but oh well. LET'S GO. I'm bored."
    He looks around and, dissapointed with the lack of chairs in the room, leant against the wall, arms folded with a sour expression upon his face.
    Nothing but a Nobody

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Another point, I've got plenty of mercenaries anarchists in my service besides the cult, so a little jumpstart to our terrorist organization
    could be easily arranged. If we're going to get a lo of public support, may I suggest making a lo of unrest and violence. This will either cause the government to lose credibility and be easy to replace, or cause it to take drastic measures, making it unpopular and a bit tyrannical, both boosting your estate a little, and making it easy to gain public support. also, are we supposed to each choose a country? thats the gist I got
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

"Nothing in particular, David - just curious. You have to admit the power of prophecy is a useful talent. And almost, William: our attacks will be carefully planned with the aim of making them take measures to stop it. But we're the ones who'll point them towards the right measures to take. So unpopular would be the wrong word...but more opressive definitely; in the interests of safety and the wellbeing of the citizens. That said, I'd planned to work only on one country - we all have vastily different talents and it would be much better to work together."
    Last edited by Cannonball; 2008-08-16 at 06:04 PM.
    – said G. K. Chesterton

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, as I said, I'm still new at this. I'm not even sure how to go about getting information from the future. However....It occurs to me that I might be able to give us a probability evaluation given any plan of action. Although, I'd give serious weight to anything Memory says. I mean, anything we try has probably been tried before, and he'd know the results.
    *pauses for a moment*
    You know, something just occurred to me. We may not even have to actually conquer a nation directly, or even through violence. We could take a corporation, like say Tinysoft, and conquer a heck of a lot more than just one or two nations. Control the computer networks, and you control most of the world
    Last edited by Krrth; 2008-08-16 at 11:45 PM.