New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Nobilis: A Game of Powers

"They're hailing us already! Smart ones." She thinks to herself for a moment. "Yes, hello? Stuck in a lightning storm... Radome struck by lightning... Mayday, etcetera. Classified intelligence... Utmost importance... Look out for crash landing." She gets up and walks over to a panel displaying the weapons systems. A single finger hovers across several of the buttons on the touchscreen but she can't decide on just the right one. "Did someone happen to install a cloaking device? Even if it were just for radar? I sure hope so."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

"Please. I am the cloaking device. Didn't think the Cammorae called me The Blank Spot for no reason, eh?"
    Mike wanders over the intercom. Tapping the button he speaks into the microphone.
    "Yes. Hi. Good evening. Or day. When you stop sleeping everything runs into one. Man, everything has just been one for so long. I miss sleep. Anyway. Nameless faceless plane voice, we are going to land a very shiny jet. Please do not be alarmed. We are only armed to our teeth. Apart from Abis, who doesn't have teeth. Just a shapeless body built from hate. If you'll just let us land, then we can explain ourselves fully."
    He moves away, looking very smug.
    "Now we land, and I wipe the memory that we were ever here. And any else I think would be funny."
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Looks at Mike Alrighty then. We could do it that way then. On the other hand, I could just give them codes that identify us. Either way, doesn't matter to me. Of course, I can fly.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Roy just sat, with his face in his hands, as he listened to his family make utter fools of themselves. David offered a few choice words of reason, but somehow the Baron Tyranny doubted they would do any good in the face of Mike and Anna’s astounding display of contradicting information. It was a wonderful start to the day and one, Roy hoped, that would be over very, very soon. He took a deep breath and stood up, walking over to one of the windows before peering outside at the fluffy clouds and deep blue sky…

“Yes, we have weapons and shields and a cloaking system. We’re the most heavily armed luxury jet in all Ataraxia – and no doubt all of Earth as well. You could probably conquer a small nation with this thing alone and do it in absolute comfort. Regardless, I’m liking David’s idea. Give the poor men their landing codes and then we can brain wipe them on arrival. Delphi will remove all trace of us from the system and someone can hide our jet. I don’t know…maybe in a sudden bout of random chance it’ll turn into a flower pot – chaos at its finest…”

He turned back and looked at everyone else, tilting his head a little: “Someone do something quickly though or we’ll have to deal with missiles and bombs. Which we can do – I just really want to avoid making a scene.”
    "Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
    – said G. K. Chesterton

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

After Mike responds, the voice takes some moments to reply, now more stern than before. "Who is this? Please send your ID codes immediately."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh sure. I try and be helpful for once and get shot down. Naturally. I'll guess I'll just sit and continue not caring."
    And he does, making a point of shooting Roy a dark look as he does.
    "Good luck trying to sort these guys out now anyway."
    Nothing but a Nobody

Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

*Uses Lesser Divination to get the appropriate ID codes*

This is flight number 4242, ID code (whateverthecodeis). Due to a...mechanical error, We seem to be having some...difficulty...with some of the passengers. Request clearance to land"

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quietly, Abis speaks to Mike:

"Mike Anders, perhaps it would be best to cause them to forget us now. Once done, I can limit their perception. However, if I were to do so before we are forgotten, then it would raise suspicion and cause difficulty to execute Roy von Cale's plan."
    Last edited by TakeV; 2008-08-22 at 01:10 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

"Fair point."
    He blinks but once, his eyes flashing for but a brief speck of time with a brilliant miasma of fire.
    "Glad someone around here let's me do my stuff."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lesser Destruction of Memory to make those who heard the previous intercom conversation forget.
    Heh. Don't have to spend any miracle points for this. Go Regal.
    Nothing but a Nobody

10. - Top - End - #130

The power of Mike over his estate cannot be denied; immediately the radio falls silent, the plane forgotten, and moments thereafter with the Power of Limits it is unperceived.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

looking down at the ground, may I ask why we're landing at a public airport? it seems a bit conspicuous?
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

12. - Top - End - #132

Spoiler
    Show
    You're not, or at least that wasn't my intention. You are, however, still in their airspace, which was what prompted the inquiry.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well I didn't want to waste a missile anyway." Anna crosses her arms. "You all seem to have the situation under control. So, first stop? The capitol? Or maybe start from the outside in? It doesn't matter. We should first make a king from a man, and a puppet from that king."

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Mike stares at the intercom intently. His brow is furrowed as he frowns, something obviously agitating him.
    "They didn't threaten us at all. An unidentified aircraft carrying what must have sounded like a group of madmen. They should have shot us down as soon as Wealth opened her mouth and no code came out. But they didn't. Because without tyranny... they had nothing to fear..."
    His voice trails off and he keeps staring at the receiver.
    Nothing but a Nobody

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

TO Mike
    nonsense, is Terroism gone? paranoia? insanity? chaos? evil? no, they were just astoundingly stupid, lax, or were expecting us.
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

"That is unsettling." She digs behind the seat for her elephant gun. "Normally I would say you were overthinking about these sorts of things, but our business here is vital. Let's not end up surprised, shall we?"

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

very well.better be prepared. holding a cell phone should we alert our servants of our arrival?, anyway, we should get armed. and with that, he pulled out a high-tech machine gun from the cabinet, stuffed two pistols in his pockets, and put on a belt of nerve-gas grenades under his coat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

18. - Top - End - #138

Spoiler
    Show
    Keeping things alive.

All of a sudden, the intercomm crackles to life once more, this time with an all too familiar voice: "Where is the tyrant I have asked for, my children? You've been gone entirely too long, and here I am still with NOTHING!" Soraire bellows, his voice feeling all with unease. Impatience on the part of the Imperator was hardly uncommon, but never pleasant, and always dangerous.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I was considering landing the plane for us, just to get things going. This though? This is much better.

At the sound of their Imperator's voice, Mike's face breaks into a huge grin... after the natural wince.
    "Now this... this I can handle."
    He practically leaps from his seat to the intercom. He pauses, wipes a hand over his face and instantly becomes serious.
    "**** off you daft ****, we're working on it. It's a long bloody plane ride. Leave us alone!"
    As soon as he lets go off the mike button, he starts giggling uncontrollably.
    "Ah... that cheered me up no end.... if he calls back, somebody else answer it."
    Nothing but a Nobody

20. - Top - End - #140

Without missing a beat, Soraire responds. "I see. Thank you, Mike. That is indeed a problem."

Then the plane lurches.

It pauses for a moment, then shudders heavily again. William can feel his Estate, in its most pure and natural form, coming into being all around. The plane takes a sudden sharp downturn. The lights dim, then cut out completely, as the order that every component of the craft relies on suddenly ceases to be.

Every component save one, anyway.

"I believe I have solved the matter of your long flight. Now go find me my tyrant!"
    Last edited by JMobius; 2008-08-25 at 12:10 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

Abis buckles his seat belt.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

"I have always admired Soraire's persuasive capacities. Parachutes, anyone? Is the pilot - oh, nevermind. Hehe." She strolls over to the exit with one hand on a parachute and the other on anything else she can find. "See you below, gents." Anna salutes, pulls the door open, and jumps out with the glitter of gold in her wake.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

Mike throws his arms up into the air, a grin plastered onto his face.
    "COME ON! Come ooooon! This is why I am here! This is why Soraire gifted me with immortality! **** you mortality! It's goooood to be alive!"
    He stands in the centre row, waiting, smiling ridiculously.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not so grumpy now, is he? Just checking though, I can survive this, right?
    Last edited by Jibar; 2008-08-25 at 12:43 PM.
    Nothing but a Nobody

24. - Top - End - #144

Spoiler
    Show
    Damn right you can.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

*Blinks, watches as the plane falls downwards* Right. It's days like this that I miss college, ya know?*grabs a parachute and heads for the exit

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

and this is why I love this job. william says as he jumps off, yelling F*** you Physics!
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Very well, I shall join you."
    Abis shifts into mist and jumps out with the others.

28. - Top - End - #148

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to assume that Cannonball also bails.

As they tumble through the air on their parachutes, the Powers -- and, no doubt, anyone within many miles -- have a sight to behold. Utterly unsystematically, the plane tears itself to pieces, as exotic and arcane fuels and technology begin to combust. The flaming, flightless shell tumbles end over end, eventually impacting the ground with an impressive explosion, the heat of which singing the descending Celestial Family even at great distance.

Mike is, naturally, unharmed.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

“Oh shi-!”

Five minute flashback: There was something mildly disturbing about being in a plane headed towards the ground at an incredibly unsafe speed. But not quite so disturbing as having to leap from it carrying half a metric ton of gear and only your own equipment and a flimsy parachute to see you safely down. At least – wounded as he was – Roy was still ‘tuff’. Yes, that’s right, ‘tuff’ – with two Fs; though apparently not nearly as confident (or should that be suicidal?) to trust in that divine protection without some way of slowing his fall. Mike and Abis begged to differ…but then again, they’d been doing the job a lot longer than he had. Roy jumped.

Back to the general present and the ground below his rapidly descending self seemed like it would be mildly uncomfortable to say the least. The ground proved mildly uncomfortable as he hit it like a sack of bricks; even with the forcefield and the badly coping parachute the impact was akin to standing in front of a freight train and the last things he could think of involved skidding, tumbling and general pain.

Roy opened his eyes and finished putting everything together in his head: “…he blew up our plane over the middle of nowhere. We’re lost in some godforsaken mountains and with our luck there’ll be a military base around here just waiting to take us in. Or, wait, actually that would be pretty helpful. I wish there was a military base around here somewhere though I’ll be damned if we find anything other than a Mountie’s hut. Oh well…”

And with that, he stood to his feet: seeing what exactly happened to the plane (there was nothing left but cinders and a long fiery streak) and everyone else. “Hello~ did anyone die over there while I wasn’t looking…?”
    "Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
    – said G. K. Chesterton

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

A hand bursts out from a clump of snow in the middle of the wreckage. It gropes around for a moment before it is joined by another. Together, they dig in and start pulling.
    "Hmog mshwoet mushiaure fibs..."
    A head suddenly comes bursting out of the snow.
    "COLD!"
    He gasps for air for a short moment, then pulls himself out of the snow completely. Mike brushes as much snow off his coat as he can, then looks around at the flaming wreckage surronding him. The mad grin returns.
    "**** yeah! **** yeeeeaaaaahhhh! Look at that! Look at that! I survived that. Not a scartch on me! Not one! Come oooooon!"
    After the mad dance accompying this, he notices Tyranny and waves before almost skipping over to him.
    "Newbo Uno! Nice to see you survived. Wasn't that incredible?"
    Nothing but a Nobody