New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Of Light, Life and Liches

Matthias

Matthias follows Orrum as he makes preparations. "Orrum... ten years ago, when I was still hunting undead for a living, I frequently found black pearls on necromancers and evil clerics. I thought at the time that it was a cult thing - they like undead, they like black jewelry... it seemed to make sense - but now I suppose that the pearls are somehow related to the creation or fortification of undead. Is that true?"
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

Orrum

"It is," the Dwarf murmured, "And as unsettling as it may be that Radley had a great deal of them stored here, it is more a comfort that they are here no longer," Orrum's tone fell upon the ear like his tread; even, sure, and steady, "I suspect, that Radley himself was unaware of the significance... no, he must have been," Orrum suddenly contradicted himself, "Had he been truly innocent, he would not have bothered to tell us that he'd had them... we shall have to see to it that Master Harin pays especially close eye to him in our absence."
    Amazing Mountain King avatar courtesy of the remarkable Starwoof!

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

At some point Radley manages to nibble on some food and get changed into clothes that haven't been through an undead forest. He notifies Groban and Kerhenn that they'll be in charge of the civilians while he and the others are out reconnoitering, then looks for Harin.

"Greetings, Master Harin. Orrum and Matthias are planning a reconnaisance mission. I think they were intending to go on their own, but I have some spells left in me and, besides, I don't fully trust that Orrum. Do you want to come with us?"
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2009-07-16 at 08:51 AM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

4. - Top - End - #754
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Groban and Kerhenn accept the responsibility, they say they will be hoping for your safe and hopefully quick return.

Orrum finds Harin and they discuss events before Radley arrives, Harin agrees to keep an eye on Radley and the survivors while he takes some time to rest and pray, he has had some disturbing revelations while praying earlier, he'd like some time to reflect on, in any case, please excuse his lack of being talkative. (OOC aka the DM doesn't like to speak for players but it seems the sort of thing Harin would do. Also describes why he's out of it, and when he gets back he'll progress the plot somewhat)
    Last edited by DMfromTheAbyss; 2009-07-17 at 11:05 PM. Reason: ooc events
    Battle Aura by Tavin Mars
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    I Will Let My Presence Be Felt
    To The Utmost of My Ability
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

Giving a final check of his gear (and picking up bolts to replace those he's expended, if able), Matthias tracks down Orrum again. "I just need to get directions to Temple Street from Radley, and then I'll be set. We should be going as soon as possible."

With that Matthias tracks down Radley and asks for directions.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

Orrum

Orrum nodded solemnly, (hopefully) holding the map of the city in his hands.

"It would be most expedient to ask the first citizens we find on our way out; I find no reason why any of them would be more able to identify streets and structures on the map than any others. They're all from, presumably, this city, if not at the least this area. It will be much quicker than searching for Radley; he has many duties to attend to as the self-made leader of these people. I am not a pious man," Orrum said solemnly, "But I pray he is prepared to deal with them, for their sake." Shifting his pack on his shoulders, Orrum began to make for the gates, stopping to question at least three citizens/militiamen before leaving. If nothing else, he's a stickler for having properly identified maps.

7. - Top - End - #757

Flumph

@Orrum and Mathias:
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: yes to the map, no to the ammo (bolts) as there's not alot of crossbows or ammo for such around Radleys home. The locals indeed have no problems giving you directions in Radley's absence (and finding temple street should not be tough), but we may want to wait to see if AP has anything else to add before heading out... unless your going to just ditch him that is?

@Radley:Harin Tells you that he was planning on staying and watching over the people while praying and resting. If you wish to go with them you might want to hurry, they were just leaving it seems.
    Last edited by DMfromTheAbyss; 2009-07-18 at 10:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I can wait for AP; Orrum'd love to give him a quick verbal smack, though he'd never admit it.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Matthias doesn't really care whether they run into Radley or not. He does want to get going, but he's willing to wait if Orrum wants him to.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Orrum also wants to get this show on the road. It's a hundred and six yards to Temple Street, we've got a full tank of spells, half a map and directions, it's almost dark, and the wizard is wearing platemail.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

Radley walks up to the front gateway just in time. He holds clpth-wrapped bread in one hand and a glass of wine in the other.

"Whoa friends, I'm coming too," he says. He looks pretty good in his fresh new clothes. Light wool over linen this time, no silks. Maybe there is a practical bone in his body somewhere. He tosses a hunk of rich, oil-fried bread to Matthias and one to Orrum.

"Kherhenn and Groban have things in hand here, and Harin is staying behind. Shall we?"

He takes a final bite from a third piece of fried bread, wipes his hands on a linen napkin and sets his empty wine glass on the base of a pillar. He motions to one of the militiamen to help him open the gate.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MountainKing View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Orrum also wants to get this show on the road. It's a hundred and six yards to Temple Street, we've got a full tank of spells, half a map and directions, it's almost dark, and the wizard is wearing platemail.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of the PCs has been approved.

Matthias turns to Radley. "This is a scouting jaunt, Radley. I plan on spending most of the time lurkin' in shadows and movin' like a church mouse. For his part, Orrum'll probably be invisible the whole time. Can you do that?"

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

"I can follow at something of a distance. Close enough to help you if needed, far enough to not draw any attention to you."

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ogre in the Playground

Orrum

"And far enough away to make protecting you difficult," Orrum stated flatly, "Your people require your presence, Master Radley. For good or ill, you've made yourself their leader, if not their savior. That makes you responsible for watching over them directly," Orrum rolled up the map, having memorized the directions and route given to him. He didn't stow it away just yet, however.

"The vault door has been repaired, your people are settling in... now is not the time to leave them unguided. Even with Master Harin present, it's still your estate. You ought tend to your duties here, Master Radley," Orrum said calmly, "The more we spread ourselves out on a scouting mission, the more time we will waste ensuring everyone's survival." The Dwarf patted Radley on the back and turned for the gate.

"Leave this to those with few or no obligations to these people, Radley. We're in this together... but that does not mean we cannot act while separate."

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

The ranger nods, stating, "We're not stormin' the castle, Radley, and we're not gonna run off with all the loot while you're not there. That's not how we do things. Stay here and keep an eye on your new followers - nasties could come for them at any time, so stay sharp - try and get some leads on where those pearls might've gone if you get bored." With that, he heads out after Orrum.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2009-07-20 at 06:53 PM.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

The merchant keeps his head held high and give an indignant sniff. But he accedes.

"I hope you can survive out there. I'll post a watch to look for your return."

He supposes they already know that, once they are beyond easy bowshot from the mansion, he cannot in good conscience mount any rescue missions to their aid. The two seem practical enough, and surely understand what they are undertaking.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2009-07-21 at 11:46 AM.

17. - Top - End - #767

Flumph

@ Mathias and Orrum: You walk, following the carefully remembered directions.
    The streets are creepily quiet and empty, no sign of the zombies or undead of any variety. As you get closer you begin to smell something burnt.

Coming into sight of Temple Street you see the source of the smell. The entire area has been devastated. Burnt ruined husks of buildings are all that remain. some of the stone buildings look crushed, some look... melted, the ground itself seems to be missing in places as if some great destructive force had blasted and scoured the ground itself.

In the distance a single temple stands, stalwart and solidly built of solid granite, it still has a ravaged appearance. In front of it wandering back and forth is what looks like a group of large humaniod figures. Though detail is hard to see as the figures are immolated in an undying supernatural flame. Perhaps twice the height of a normal human they seem to be blocking access... or escape from the temple.

OOC: info checks possible?
    Spoiler
    Show
    DC 20 religion or DC 15 Street wise will identify the remaining temple.

@Radley: Harin appears to be deep in meditation, leaving you to deal with, well pretty much everything else. A few of the survivors are asking if they should start looting nearby homes and buisnesses for supplies or not?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

Orrum

The armored wizard ducked behind a corner, peering out briefly again as he checked over what he knew.

"Master Matthias," he whispered, "That appears to be a temple to foreign gods; the fact that it survived what happened here is really quite incredible. Surely there must be survivors hidden within, and quite likely, they will be powerful allies. However... those creatures... I am uncertain what they are. They could perhaps be some manner of construct, or undead... they do not appear to be true elementals..." As he spoke, Orrum took great pains to convey the information he had in a very low whisper; he did not want to chance ruining their good fortunes thus far by drawing attention to his voice.

"Also... if they are barring escape from the temple, they could well be enhanced by the same vile power that strengthened the magics that were at hand here... these buildings were laid waste by powers drawn from beyond this world."

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

Matthias also keeps his voice down.

"This looks heavily guarded. Not a good target for a two-man expeditionary force... though we should return with a larger group if there is indeed any chance of living people yet inside."

He ponders.

"Orrum, perhaps we should check the basements of some of these ruined temples? Or the houses nearby them. The undead may have hit the temples proper but neglected their rectories."

Radley

Radley agrees, though only because he figures any nearby undead are currently preoccupied with eating his two companions. Of course, he doesn't say that aloud. He organises three small raiding parties, a couple militia and some armed civilians with each group. He will personally lead the three-party expedition. He leaves Groban and Kherhenn in charge at the mansion, with Kherhenn having final authority in his absence.

The plan is this. No more than two of the three parties will enter buildings at any given time. The third party will always wait out in the street to assist either of the other parties if they run into trouble. They bring a couple of hand carts with them to move supplies. They never go more than 3 blocks from the mansion, for now.

Commence Operation: Peasant Grinder.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ogre in the Playground

Orrum

"Perhaps... perhaps..." Orrum's eyes were calm, but Matthias could see the wheels churning in Orrum's head again, "...but we've seen no undead, nor heard any undead, thus far... and we may not be able to access the basements or rectories due to the destruction... we ought attempt to search the church that's yet standing. It carries much risk, but our situation affords us little time to sit and contemplate matters in this place. Who's to say this church will be standing if we leave and return tomorrow?" Orrum glanced out again.

"We could attempt splitting up, and begin a cat-and-mouse game to draw the creatures away from the temple. The other, will attempt to enter, and find out what is inside."

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

Spoiler
    Show

Be it noted, I TRIED to get Orrum njot to walk Matthias into a death trap. I really tried.

Matthias agrees. "True, we must take the opportunity now. But at least let us circle the entire temple once, from a distance, and see if there are any unguarded spots. It would be better to sneak in than to split up for a distraction."

((If Orrum agrees you can assume Matthias goes along with him.))

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

Orrum

"I am no master of stealth, Matthias," Orrum murmured, glancing out once more, "I can cast a glamer that will strike you from the seeing eye, for about ten minutes. Do you think you can get a closer look from less of a distance under such a spell? I will remain here, and monitor the creatures; should I see them suddenly begin to act, I will react to them in force, and draw them away from the temple," Orrum nodded gravely, "You will know if something has happened; if it does, make haste, and get inside."

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

Matthias nods. "It should work."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, I'm back, let's do this. "LEEEEEEEERRROOOOOOOOYYY...."

24. - Top - End - #774

Flumph

@Radley: Operation: Peasent Grinder seems to be going without a hitch, a good amount of useful goods is being recovered, including a decent amount of foodstuffs. Having gotten most of the first block around your base of operations "looted" of anything useful, things are just picking up steam when your lookouts yell that they hear horses coming fast from the direction of the city's entrance (The north gate specifically). They look to you for instructions as you can hear the sound of galloping hooves getting closer.

@Mathias and Orrum: The Fiery beings continue to shamble back and forth, apparently not noticing you. You do hear what sounds faintly like prayer coming from the temple, definately indicating survivors.

@Harin: You continue meditating, concerned with some of the odd portents and the earlier slight difficulty you had praying for spells. You come to a startling conclusion in the form of a vision.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A tall red armored figure, wielding a large unfamiliar polearm stands before you. "Your God will not be able to help you for long, his strength, though respectable cannot breach the dimensional magics being released in the city. If you wish the power to fight this evil you will have to retreat, or trust your powers to a diety from the other side of the portal. Luckily for you not all the beings from the other side of the portal agree with what is being done, some, like myself wish to aid you in destroying the portal before it causes more problems from those on both sides. If your Dieties powers fade in this region, and you are willing to accept the aid from another, call upon my name and I shall aid you as he would. But be warned, those you act against are very powerful mortals, a direct confrontation will not end well for you and your companions. However they do not yet possess what they seek, they can be stopped, and your "friend" already has the first piece of the puzzle, but beware the creature of chaos who served him, the abyss has it's own foul agenda counter to all other plans in action." The vision ends with a single rune like symbol, not entirely different from the head of the beings polearm and the name "Tahrain" appearing in your mind as though you had read the symbol.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ettin in the Playground

Radley

Radley immediately orders two of the teams to take all the hand-carts and move at top speed toward the mansion. He sends any non-militia from the third team to go along with them. The remaining handful of militia, now without hand-carts or peasants to worry about, he orders to stand beside him. They will perform a rear-guard action to hold the street while the supplies are carried to safety.

A lesser man would pray.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground

Orrum

Pressing a finger to one of the runes on his shield, Orrum murmured a few simple arcane syllables before touching Matthias' shoulder, casting his spell. Gripping his shield tightly, Orrum waited a few moments before peeking out at the shambling beings; he would remain true to his word.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ettin in the Playground

Matthias

As he vanishes from sight, Matthias begins his trek around the temple, spiraling ever closer to the structure and doing his best to remain silent. If he sees an opening, he will note it before returning to Orrum. If he gets a reaction from the guardians, then he will either dash for the opening after Orrum's assault (if he's found an opening by that time) or book it to Orrum (if he hasn't).

If the guards react generally, but don't seem to be sure that something is really there (I have no idea what role would be used to determine that, but hey), then Matthias will freeze. IC, he knows that a moving target is easier to spot and that his movement might be tipping them off. OOC, I know that freezing in place will bump up any further hide checks by another +20 and that if I'm frozen their listen check DCs get a lot harder.

If no reaction is forthcoming, he will go no closer than 20 feet away from the perimeter the guardians have established. Two circuits around the temple will suffice - after that Matthias will return.

It occurred to me that if they have lifesense then this entire post was pretty much pointless. Oh well, here goes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide (with +20 from moving under Invisibility):
    (1d20+40)[48]

Move Silently:
    (1d20+20)[31]

Spot (openings, curiosities, guardian movement patterns):
    (1d20+13)[26]

28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground

Harin

Thrust from his dreams in a red flash Harin stands warily, not sure if his legs will hold him. Steadying himself he immediately questions the civilians as he seeks out Radley.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

29. - Top - End - #779

Flumph

@Harin: The civilian survivors will readily point you toward the direction of Radley, and offer you some food while they are at it, you've been mediating for almost a few hours and look a bit pale. (according to one old matronly woman)

@Radley: The sound of hoofbeats gets closer and you see a skeletal group of cavalry, ragged banners flapping in the breeze of their rapid passage. they appear to be heading past you (a street down or so) and they seem to be ignoring your presence entirely... though they are temptingly within range of several of your spells for a moment...?

@Orrum and Mathias: Orrum waits patiently as Mathias heads around the temple. Orrum notes no difference in the flame "beings" behavior.

Mathias however notes a few key things on his first wide trek around the temple of foreign gods.
    Spoiler
    Show

The "beings" appear to be very concentrated by the front entrance, only a few patrol the other sides of the temple.

The Temple has a small easy to miss "backdoor" though it appears to be made of stone and doesn't look like it's seen a lot of use. There is not so much as another window or opening that you can see however.

The entirety of the temple is quite tall, over 40 feet.

The grass and turf immeadiately around the temple are not destroyed, though only a few feet are so protected, with nothing left unburnt outside of the narrow radius of the temple.

The radius of the protection seems to be losing a few blades of grass to the heat of the creatures on each pass... getting slowly smaller.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ettin in the Playground