New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default How many strips?

...will Erfworld have once it'll be finished? Since OotS had 120, I think it could be 120 for "The Battle for Gobwin Knob" plus 12-15 for Parson's Klog. And the story is definitely coming to its conclusion.
    My random thoughts about:
    Dungeon Crawling Fools - OtOoPCs - NCftPB - War and XPs

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: How many strips?

We're definitely in the endgame, but no idea how much longer it will last here.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

This CHAPTER is coming to an end.

I believe there's far more story to be told.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

That's what the OP is asking, when this chapter ends, like how the first OOTS "chapter" ended at 120.

I'd like to see much more of Erfworld too.
    Last edited by LordVader; 2008-08-11 at 03:51 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

We don't know the answer to this, quite yet.

We have always known where and how the story will end, and the story is definitely in the run to the end of Book 1 here. But typically, I had been scripting no more than 5 or 6 pages ahead of updates, so that if anything was too unclear (based on reader feedback) I could change the script in coming pages to spell out what the board was scratching its head over. (There are some webcomics that want to fool the reader, and put a high price on unguessable twists; we actually just want the story we're telling to be understood.)

You probably noticed that updates have been speeding up. This is because Jamie and I decided that we really want the book to be done in our lifetimes sometime (small exaggeration), and it's going to take a completed script to even set a goal for that. So we've started to push very hard, at the expense of other things.

I have been treating the month of August as a personal NaNoWriMo, dropping almost everything else to get the entire script completed. Each page takes me a minimum of 4 hours just to get the rough script done (maybe 6-8 hours average, counting revisions and difficult pages). But that means every 10 pages is at least a standard 40 hour work week, and lettering takes me more time per page than scripting.

Meanwhile, Jamie has been shelving all optional projects and life stuff, to focus on the hours of work he must do, to pencil, ink and color. His time on a given page is longer still than mine, and he has a wife and a full time job.

So anyway, we will know soon how many pages remain, exactly. But we won't necessarily spill that, because it can be kind of spoiler-y. But knowing that, it will become possible to plan for publishing the book collection.

And of course, figuring out what we're going to do about Book 2. Stay tuned.
    Rob Balder, Erfworld author/co-creator, and creator of PartiallyClips

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

OOOOOO forshadowing in the works.
    So many threads left to deal with - not all should be wrapped up in this book, but surely most of them should be.

I hope to estimate the number of panbels, and divide the panels by 8 to 10.

a) Tool's agenda and the ambush denouement (AT LEAST 5), with maybe Jillians' final parting shot (her leaving, not getting stacked, etc...), so maybe another 2 for any internal conflict there... Being referred to as chicky will not help (and I would not be surprised if that's the tool under the foolamancer ordering her about... but thats another thought). Here is where we MIGHT learn the truth about FAQ, and if that happens, then it will tie into Wanda's 6 panels below.

b) Wanda's relationship with tool, with Jillian, and her motivations/goals/origins (possibly not entirely revealed, but at least deserves another 6 panels AT LEAST)

c) the failure to seal the deal of Prince Ansom (he deserves at least 3 more panels, and more if the arkentools are going to get any more exposure, but as they are Macguffins, I suspect not)

d) Webinar's 'demise' (or not) at Sizemore's now bloodied hands... If we receive less than 4 panels on this, the disappointment will be extreme. At least 6 panels here.

e) Charlie's designs upon Parson. This would have been a far lower count without this latest update, but sadly I see at least 7 more panels of this, just to resolve the situation without direct involvement, BUT, this could very well be the springboard to the next book (final panel, we get to meet Charlie - another Parson, or another Croatan, or someone else entirely, to give us a hook for the next book)

f) The final sword piece and information from the stuipid meal (key). This would be loverly in a klog format, but i fear we might not have the time for any more klogs anymore - there is too much resolution to be had. Although...
    So either one more klog (the last day?), or perhaps 3 panels (listing of forces, sword, reaction shots)

g) I am pretty sure the unipegataurs will appear in battle at one point - there should be at least one panel where their glorious exposure is shown (could be rolled into Wanda's section, but deserves at least on honorable mention)

h) I would love to see the magical Kingdom figure at least again, if not in passing (as it has), then at least at the gates of it (1 panel, when Sizemore or Wanda, or maggie leave GK to escape - I am rossing my fingers for Sizemore), apart from teh battle panels. Sorry - no less than 2 panels.

i) I would hope that Saline IV (in flashback) will make an appearance, to at least shed SOME light on Stanley's suspected regicide, although that too, might be addressed in a later issue. I suspect though that this will be tied in with the exposure explaining the fate of FAQ, and the relationship between Stanley and Wanda. But i would add one panel if not two for this part of the exposition.

j) As Wanda has no mastery but has access to multiple schools, could she not affect the outcome of a battle through some form of fateamancy in combination with the mathamancy from the gauntlet? I doubt it, but if so, would this even beshown on-screen? In any case, this is not a plot, and more of a plot device... never mind. (and no, delete is not my friend)

k) Bogrolls' fate has to be decided. he has stated his fondest wish is to save Parson's life. This chapter (book) is the battle for GK, and I can only surmise that the next one will not be situated in GK. Bogroll's story-telling potential nears its end - he is the garrison, and a bloodthirsty twoll. I could see at least a couple of panels for this, either through some self-sacrificing heroic act, or at least the realization that the armor he crafted for Parson did so, but that prediction needs to occur, so he can live (or die) fulfilled.

l) The resolution of the conflict between Ansom and Vinny (or lack thereof) has to take one panel at least. Either the fact that they will never share the casks (casket only?), or will do so, so at least a panel right there.

m) The Holy war/chosen of the Titans thing will not be resolved, but the pacing demands at least one more panel devoted to at least one of them, if not more. Although this might be during Stanleys' battle, or Parson;s visit to Charley (if it happens), or Parson's sword (would you ever admit you got it from a stupid meal?), or the mysterious 'fourth known arkentool', SOME exposure as to their power needs to take place. Okay, maybe not, but one panel of flashiness for sure, if not two.

n) the siege engines arive this next turn - their arrival would be worth noting, as their numbers would signal the end of GK (unless they were to get destroyed - in which case this event would take place in these panels). This is at least a two-panel if not a three-panel exposure.

o) i would have to say that a few panels of goodbyes or frozen troops, or burnt battlefields or disappearing corpses, or a crumbling tower, or hoisting flags, or half-masted flags, or a smouldering volcano, or a single tear rolling down Jillians' face (or the Tools' face - as he sees his dragons' bones littering the valley floor?), or the archons frozen in space as Charley is offed by the Tool by surprise... so at least a few panels there.

So as a quick tabulation, I have 40 to 45 panels left, or basically 5 or 6 strips with one of them being a klog, and maybe the last page maybe, just maybe being a splash page or at least with one half page half panel to lead us into the next book... although to bookend the story, i would love to see a picture of the titans, or Parson's friends, or something to hearken back to the stories' humble beginnings.

There will be a huge surge in August, but this pace cannot continue, so i predict (damn my crastalballamancy) that this story will end early September, so that it can come out in print in time for Thanksgiving ship dates.

Man.
    I like this strip waaaaay too much
    :)

Good job hooking me into it, Rob & Jamie.
    If some person called Nick or Lucien approach you at GenCon (Do NOT tell me you are not going :)), say hi to them for me.
    Last edited by Richbin; 2008-08-12 at 12:54 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    So anyway, we will know soon how many pages remain, exactly. But we won't necessarily spill that, because it can be kind of spoiler-y. But knowing that, it will become possible to plan for publishing the book collection.

And of course, figuring out what we're going to do about Book 2. Stay tuned.
    I don't know anything about the process of converting writing to a book, in terms of getting a contract signed and such. Generally speaking, is that something that an author would be looking into with this much of the work completed, or do publishers want to see the finished product?

I know that there are a number of reasons why you probably can't discuss specifics; even if you are negotiating with a publisher and have everything done but the signatures, you likely couldn't tell us until it was finalized. So please don't feel pressured to discuss reality, I'm asking a theoretical question only, looking for a rough idea of the timing of the process and the like (read: when might I be able to preorder? ).

Anyway, good luck and I hope the whole process goes well for you two. I'll be offering bribes to whatever Greater Power(s?) care to accept them on your behalf.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

As to future elements in Book 2, I wonder what they could be. So much of it depends on where this one ends off...

Will Parson be around? Or was he only the vehicle to have us discover Erfworld in the first place?
    If yes, then odds are strong that he will get hooked in with Charlie, which will allow him a far greater exposure to the world, as Charlie is a mercenary.

There are many more factions to the world than we have seen, and GK held 11 cities before Stanleys' quest ever started. That is huge and speaks quite a few volumes on the forces required to bring him down, and how far he has quested for the arkentools, but leaves a lot more room for development, as many might have been untouched by his quests (such as the magical kingdom)

The magical kingdom will surely make an appearance, and the DON is just too good an NPC not to be represented in the next book.

If Wanda were to fall, it would not be before her 'secret' would be exposed, and only if it came at Jillians' hands - so if the tension has not been resolved in this book, it will continue onto the next one. they are tied, these two are...

Some more exposition on the titans, maybe? or are they simply a plot tool?

Exploration would have to be limited, so no free ranging travels should be scheduled, so I do not see Stanley's Dwagons being available for transport... come to think of it, because of Parson's size, with three archons requiring to move him, I suspect there will be little travelling in Parons' future. I would like to see morte of Parson in book 2. He still has much to learn of the world, and still to grow as a character (not in size, please, unless its to get into better shape :))

Parson needs to develop some form of relationship, perhaps romantic, or duplicitously so. Either that, or a master-pupil sort of thing with Charly... although that does not quite ring right - both would be very hard to script in their outplaying the other (or trying to) at every turn. Although Parson has stated that he always like to play the 'bad' guys, I would love it if he found himself on the 'good guy' side for a change, and recognized its inherent strength. Protagonists (Parson Gotti) are generally 'good' (except for Anti-Heroes).

If you pick the same Macguffin - the Arkentools, then it would have to be presented as something 'Perfectly Parson'. I laughed so hard when Maggy pointed out that Parson's mind is the best weapon they have. That happens to be Charlie's specialty as well - thinkamancy. I still like the idea that Charlie is a future Parson, and he will now step aside and send Parson back though time to be the earlier Charlie. This makes book 2 about Charlie up until he sends Parson back. A prequel if you will, during which we might learn why there is bad blood between Stanley and Charley, and many of the events that led up to the present in Erfworld.

If this latter is the case, then the tale can be ended in half the time i stated in the prior post - about three strips plus a klog.

Ooooh I cannot wait - the anticipation is cutting me sweetly

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

I vote no on the time travel thing. I've read "By His Bootstraps", "All You Zombies", and "The Man Who Folded Himself", i'm over that particular plot device.

Actually, i like the idea of Parson going home but the story continuing. We could have episodes set in the real world where Parson's friends wonder what happened to his killer instinct as he now seems to act as if he cares about casualties interspersed with erflings trying to push the limits of the turn system the way Parson did. And we could have some scenes of Parson lying in bed suddenly finding himself getting a thinkagram from Charlie, or Maggie, or maybe even the godfather, asking for advice. Maybe even some two track stories where something happening in Parson's life has an uncanny correspondence with events in Erfworld.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Actually, as much as you might be down with time travel, the dual dimaensional thing has me down as well - the Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever series filled me with that dual life/fantasy stuff.

If Parson returns, I would rather not see his story continue other than an epilogue. The scene where he cares about his 'pawns' as you pointed out, would be a nice finishing touch, but that's sufficient.
    I find, though, that us learning more about Erf, or Ark, is much more interesting through the eyes of a stranger (Parson's) than through another pair that is morew famailiar. And to spend another few strips to situate another individual, who then would have to learn the rules again, summonned somehow, again, would be redundant.

Parson's adventures will continue in Erfworld, with or without time travel. Unless... the story becomes more skewed from Charlie's perspective, and Charlie becomes the protagonist somehow...

In either case, I look forward to what the Arkencreators have coming.
    :)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Ah, Thomas Covenant, the book to avoid if you are at all suicidal.

Fine, no time travel, no dual dimensional storylines. But we both agree that Erfworld should continue.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sounds rough for the authors. However, while we fans can't do the drawing, we CAN help by finishing the story for him.

*Parson comes out to the deck area*
    Parson: I'm told you can help with my current problem
    Archeon: Yes.
    Parson: Well, ya see, I find that hard to believe because my MOST current problem, the one that I have to deal with immediately, is your group of Archeons. I'm really at a loss how to deal with it. Makes me wish that I had a dues ex mecca {I'm sure I'm spelling this wrong}.
    *Mary Sue teleports in*
    Mary Sue: *flashing her green eyes*Did someone call for a dues ex mecca?
    *whispers from the archeons that all say the same thing, "Dues Ex Mecca Girl"*
    Archeon: This is one of your affair, Mary Sue.
    Mary Sue: On the contrary, whenever *staring with her stern, icy blue eyes {yes they change color, she's a boopen Mary Sue}* someone calls out wishing for a Dues Ex Mecca, I shall always be there to answer the call. That is why I have the Arken(dragon)ball!*she begins to glow white fire and her muscles begin to bulge*
    Archeon: She's powering up, KILL HER QUICKLY.
    Mary Sue: Too late, I've gone Super Sayen *does a yell*
    *Parson puts on his stat glasses*
    Parson: Oh my God, she actually has a power level of OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNDD! (Heh.)
    Archeon: Fire!
    *they fire but this is repelled by the awsome might of DEM Girl.*
    Mary Sue: Goodbye Archeons!
    *she sends he own blast and though teh Archeons try to counter it engulfs them. There is an explosion but when it clears they are unharmed. Mary Sue is agog.* Impossible. Unless... Charlie?
    *Charlie comes to the front, also all glowy, so glowy that his features cannot be made out*
    Charlie: That's right Mary Sue, I expected that you might show up so I came prepared.
    Mary Sue: I'll destroy you yet.
    *fighting, Charlie wins. He tellls her to surrender, she laughs and becomes an Ultra Sayian, now this is an even fight and she now gains the upper hand. However Charlie has been holding back too.*
    Mary Sue: Your talking about an Arken Sayian? BUT THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!! It's a theoretical level, no one has ever managed it!
    Charlie: And yet you will now witness me doing just that.
    *he transforms and starts winning again*

Announcer: Is this the end for Mary Sue? How will Parson be able to fend off Charlie if she fails? Is Gobwin Knob doomed? Stay tuned for the next book of Erfworld Z!
    --------------------

There I've given you the outline of how to finish your book. I'm sure everyone wants this to end on a cliff hanger and nothing bad will come of it. Wow, I'm so impressed by all the work I just saved Pclips. No need to thank me though, I'm just doing my part to help things along.

PS. I wrote this because just really wanted Parson to scream " his power level is over nine thousand". I know he'd feel the same way. I also think it would be funny to meet a Mary Sue in the comic too. heh.

PPS. Also, when the heck are we getting some Dragon Ball Z references? The fans demmand it! Right Guys?

EDIT: Well fine then Richbin! Why don't you write your OWN ending to the book?
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2008-08-14 at 10:52 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Should Erfworld Continue? Abso-boopin-lutely! And why should people who veer on the darker side avoid those novels? I love my lofty forays over the cliffs of despair - the winds tend to bring me back to the lofty perches atop the razor-edged, jagged rocks quite consistently :)

Should Dragoon-ball-Z references be ever mentionned in its pages? Prefereably once the plains of Dis spread their cold into the very bowels of the most hidden parts of infernus. But until then... no, not really, no thanks you... very much...

Deux ex mecca girl, though... how... <twitch> funny...<twitch>

That would be tantamount to Parson waking up and realizing the last 90 strips or so were just a dream. No thanks - I will leave those kinds of unimaginative endings to the television hacks from Dallas...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    You probably noticed that updates have been speeding up. This is because Jamie and I decided that we really want the book to be done in our lifetimes sometime (small exaggeration), and it's going to take a completed script to even set a goal for that. So we've started to push very hard, at the expense of other things.

Jamie has been shelving all optional projects and life stuff, to focus on the hours of work he must do, to pencil, ink and color.
    So much for that huh?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rosnet View Post
    So much for that huh?
    Sorry, but there was a hitch with the art for p107, a miscommunication between writer and illustrator that happened to be poorly timed with the holiday weekend. It was better to delay the update than try to post a correction later.

I considered putting up an announcement when it happened, but even posting in this thread is kind of a slippery slope. Best to go back to not discussing updates (my bad for mentioning this even tangentially). As always, we're making no promises other than "we're doing the best we can."
    Last edited by pclips; 2008-09-02 at 05:53 AM.
    Rob Balder, Erfworld author/co-creator, and creator of PartiallyClips

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

cool Welcome Back

Crikey! You know. this is one of my favorite comics on the web. I seriously thought this thing had great potential for both future books/stories and an awsome RPG layout. (the hamstard website was a stroke of genious in my books)

But then I saw the updates become few and far between, the writer and artist almost completely stopped posting on the forums and everything seemed to grind almost to a halt.

I'm sure they had life and work, but I also felt like they may have lost motivation for the project thanks to so much negative and (at least what I felt to be) non-constructive critiscisim. Plus a clip I saw from one of the conventions where Rob (or maybe it was Jamie) noted that they had one guy come up to them about Erfworld, just to comment that he'd seen them on the OOTS site.

But my confidence has been renewed by Rob's statement further up and the fairly consistent updates we've been seeing. Where once I felt like the artist and writer had all but given up on this project due to lack of motivation, now I feel like something has fired them up once again and we can not only expect the book to end but the series to continue with strength and more greatness to come from Rob's witty writing and Jami's fantastic art.

Welcome back guys. I hope you can ignore the negative fools who can say little more than "it's not OOTS" and learn from the constructive criticism while thriving off the support, investigations by fans and cries for more. All new comics take a while to get up with the ones that have so many more pages and history for fans to go over, but now you've lasted the time and are about to release your first book. I've every bit of confidence that Erfworld is destined for greatness.

And if not, then you've got Hamstard the Bastard Hamster as a perfect fallback.
    Always spread Vegimite behind your ears to prevent attack by drop bears.
    SHADOWGIRLS FLIPSIDE