New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: 117 The Battle for Gobwin Knob 105

I can guess what comes next, been in same position in strategy games. If your base is under seige and they will all attack next turn, rather than sit home with defending bonus that won't help against all those attackers, you attack one portion of enemy at a time that surround you. If you have units that can convert the enemy or can level up even better. (Lots of games have seduction or charm on top of what undead can do, this game has something key that a thinkomancer can do, perhaps confusion, suggestion of false orders to move into vulnerable spot, etc)

Since the enemy is close, you can finish off everyone before your turn is over and they have chance to respond by lots of smaller engagements. As well, in this case Bogroll and other sentry units can help in tunnells despite 0 movement.
    Last edited by multilis; 2008-08-16 at 01:34 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Charlie asked Parsons odds of winning - he did not ask about the exact plan...

What if Parsons plan actually includes Charlie's archons fighting Ansom's troops and destroying each other ? So at the end, when Parsons wins, both Ansom and Charlie are too weakened to cause trouble .... That would be a master plan for sure, worth 300k shmuckers.

"I gave you the odds - they were real - you did not ask me if you will be there too to capture me "
    Last edited by Earendill; 2008-08-16 at 02:10 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by multilis View Post
    IMO Parson now has more scheming to do. Not only does he need to defeat the main attackers, he now needs to do it in such a way that he can also repell Charlie after.
    I don't think he needs to do anything of the kind. If he wins against Ansom then he'll probably happily go to join Charlie. Don't forget that Parson is a wargaming nut, and the attraction of winning against impossible odds is what's keeping him in the city, I think.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I don't think he needs to do anything of the kind. If he wins against Ansom then he'll probably happily go to join Charlie. Don't forget that Parson is a wargaming nut, and the attraction of winning against impossible odds is what's keeping him in the city, I think.
    Parson also feels loyal to his friends like Wanda and Sizemore. If they aren't coming to Charlie's side, which I don't think Wanda will, then Parson won't leave them.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Possible -- he was none too pleased with Charlie's hardball approach, but he's enough of a pragmatist to not let it get in the way if that turns out to be his best option.

Continuing to work for Stanley would be a bit difficult if Stanley found out that he'd offered the Arkenpliers to Charlie (and it would obviously be even worse if Charlie actually ends up in possession of it). Come to think of it, Charlie might have that up his sleeve as another hardball negotiating point (even if he somehow doesn't know about Stanley's obsession with the Arkentools, it's just common sense that no overlord is going to be happy about losing something that rare and powerful).

Somehow going "into business for himself" would be ideal, but booped if I can see how Parson gets to that point.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... if Parson could shoot down enough archons to keep Charlie from taking the city that would be the best solution. Sending in the rest would be stuipid; Parson would take the XP for his commanders and uncroak the archons. Maybe with uncroaked Marbit archers, and buying more spells from the magic kingdom.

If Stanley is by Charlie maybe Parson could tip Stanley off to the fact that Charlie has sent out a great number of forces to GK, and isn't heavily defended. Its quite possible Charlie doesn't think his position is known, but I'm sure Stanley knows exactly where it is. That nice little table of omniscience, still coming in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB
    Charlie knows that he's out and about, and at least approximately where he is. (That would seem to rule out any suggestion that he's headed somewhere other than where the Coalition expects -- if anything, he's headed away from Charlie, who refers to this war as "the great western conflict", implying that he's off to the east.)
    Why? Maybe he's headed in the general direction of where the coalition expects, but there could be other things around the ruins of FAQ, dragon roosts, gobwin allies, a city or some sort of convoy with magic items he wants or some sort of hidden mercenaty camp. Charlie's base could be in the west, so maybe his is heading there. "The great western conflict" could be a name or maybe it is on the west side of "the map", it doesn't mean Charlie is far to the east.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Kinko's told me I could have free copies and local faxes
    This line is excellent
    Last edited by drachefly; 2008-08-16 at 03:37 PM. Reason: tag-fix

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Charlie reminds me of D&D devils. They'll make deals with anyone, but it always bites you back in the end. Only fools who think they can out con the con man or the recklessly greedy make the deal.
    Last edited by the_tick_rules; 2008-08-16 at 03:55 PM.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Hmm... if Parson could shoot down enough archons to keep Charlie from taking the city that would be the best solution.
    Presumably he can't. Don't forget that Parson himself told Charlie how many archons he'd need to take the city, and that was presumably taking into account all the air defences; and in any case, Wanda seems to have used up pretty much all of those in taking down the flying units a few comics ago.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I woke up this morning and thought "today would be a good day for Erfworld to update." And lo, it had!

A truly excellent page, and Charlie remains the #1 Magnificent Bastard in Erfworld. I mean, look at the smile he added to his mortal threat in panel 4. That's golden.

Parson can remain #1 Chessmaster for the time being.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

Twice now Charlie has used the :) in a rather menacing manner.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

So… there are three sides now?
    For another fantasy webcomic with Dungeons and Dragons, read Heroes of Lesser Earth now, before it becomes cool and everyone starts doing it!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

A bunch of observations:
    Charles asked for a calculation. 9 Remain.

Parson had provided how many Archons it would take to take Gobwin Knob, not how many Gobwin Knob could effectively destroy. That and Parson asked Charles to hold off one round makes me think he has an ace up his sleeve.

Looking at this page, I think their's a train coming:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0041.html

Parson has managed to get part of a sword every single turn. We have yet to see what this sword actually does yet.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Charlicat View Post
    The computation also does not include whatever UberSword does if it gets completed when the turn flips. Yummm...that should be in the next panel or two.
    You know, people have been arguing against ubersword being uber, and I understand why. But, maybe the benefit of the sword will be something more mundane.

You know how magic swords are covered in runes? Well, maybe "ubersword" is covered in runes too. Runes that are really our world language so Parson can read it but no-one else can. Some piece of critical advice, or maybe a cheat code.
    Last edited by ishnar; 2008-08-16 at 05:31 PM.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

15. - Top - End - #75

Hey, long time lurker, first time poster :)

All mercenaries are loyal to one person, themselves. Charlie doesn't care any more about his archons than Stanley, Ansom or any of the coalition care about the lowest infantry units.

In the event Parson had not covinced him to back off, Charlie would have initiated a bloodbath that may well have ended with one surviving Archon to 'pry the artifact from the blackened corpse'...

Now Charlie seems to be using the tried and tested 'overwhelming force' method of warfare but there is no way he could croak the entire garrison without taking a few casualties, so it seems to be a case of 'Can't make an omlette without... killin' a few people'

NOW FOR THE LAST TIME!

Jetstone hired 15 Archons from Charlescomm.... Charlie has many more Archons that were not part of the coalition.

BTW if anyone didn't know, the reason Switzerland is neutral in all wars is because every other country in medival europe asked them to please stop selling the services of their elite 'Swiss Guard' (because it's hard to tax provinces that consist of smoking ashes)

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

One thing that I noticed, Charlie didn't ask Parson to calculate odds of winning, but odds of not losing this coming turn. That might be important.
    All I want for Christmas is one uncensored cuss word

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

But Charlie doesn't care if Parson wins. Only that he's still there the next turn to be convinced to join Charlescomm and/or robbed of his calculator watch.

Well, technically, Charlie does care to know whether Pason can win, but that's not as important, and he's not going to waste one of his 9 remaining calculations just for that.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ishnar View Post
    You know, people have been arguing against ubersword being uber, and I understand why. But, maybe the benefit of the sword will be something more mundane.

You know how magic swords are covered in runes? Well, maybe "ubersword" is covered in runes too. Runes that are really our world language so Parson can read it but no-one else can. Some piece of critical advice, or maybe a cheat code.
    I like that idea a lot. The problem is Parson speaks the same language as everyone else in Erfworld. We know they can speak english, just look at the Eyebooks. However I could see it being maybe leet reference or slang. It would require references from our world to understand.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shamelessmerc View Post
    Hey, long time lurker, first time poster :)

All mercenaries are loyal to one person, themselves. Charlie doesn't care any more about his archons than Stanley, Ansom or any of the coalition care about the lowest infantry units.

In the event Parson had not covinced him to back off, Charlie would have initiated a bloodbath that may well have ended with one surviving Archon to 'pry the artifact from the blackened corpse'...
    I don't think so. If Charlie is a real mercenary, then he understands the phrase, "Don't eat your seed corn."
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

20. - Top - End - #80

Quote Originally Posted by MuseUnchained View Post
    Why exactly are we surprised? Charlie is a mercenary, the reason that he pulled out of the Transylvito contract is because the mathamancy was worth more to him than the money. He doesn't get to the position that he is in by being nice.
    When you think about what that position is; ie. universaly mistrusted and disliked, it seems likely that Charlie actualy gets a kick out of betrayal.

"However... who could resist a show like that!"

Charlie seems to be treating the whole thing like it IS a wargame, which could be significant or it could just mean he is a sick SOB

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, if Parson's jibes to Ansom earlier got under his skin, it's possible he could try and convince Ansom that Charlie is actually there to help Gobwin Knob. That seems difficult, though.

I would assume, though, that even though Charlie is implying he might help Ansom, if push comes to shove he'll side with Parson. This is just common sense; it would in theory be easier to recover the Arkenpliers and other artifacts from a wounded Parson than from a wounded alliance, since the alliance has many other resources to draw on. It would offend the alliance, of course, but it's probably a bit late for Charlie to be worrying about that.

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by MuseUnchained View Post
    One thing that I noticed, Charlie didn't ask Parson to calculate odds of winning, but odds of not losing this coming turn. That might be important.

WINNING = coalition forces retreating in horror and dismay

NOT LOSING = coalition troops engaged in bloody street fight with GK garrison troops for next few turns

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shamelessmerc View Post
    NOT LOSING = coalition troops engaged in bloody street fight with GK garrison troops for next few turns
    Is that even possible?

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Is that even possible?
    Am I a Mathmancer? :)

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faithless View Post
    I like that idea a lot. The problem is Parson speaks the same language as everyone else in Erfworld. We know they can speak english, just look at the Eyebooks. However I could see it being maybe leet reference or slang. It would require references from our world to understand.
    We know Parson can speak their language not that they speak Parson's. I think the fact that he says "Boop" now is proof enough that he was converted to speak their language and breathe their air with the Fate magic invested in the scroll. Just as he was bound to obey Stanley's orders.

Don't forget Parson's massive headach after being summoned.

Btw, I think I see a potential here for a surprise that was forshadowed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wanda says herself that she is good at many magicks outside of croakmancy.

Everyone's speculation about Wanda involves her uncroaking powers. But what if her biggest contribution to the battle ends up being under another discipline?
    Last edited by ishnar; 2008-08-16 at 06:13 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

Quote Originally Posted by ishnar View Post
    I don't think so. If Charlie is a real mercenary, then he understands the phrase, "Don't eat your seed corn."
    It really depends on how secure Charlescomm HQ is... it looks to me like an ice fortress accessable only by air.

Ultimately Charles' seed corn is greenbacks... he can pop more Archons and weather the cash flow drop from losing his merc merchandise; as long as he has a financial cushion to get him past the hump

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Is that even possible?
    Apparently parson has figured out how to do at least that much. Otherwise i'm sure he would have taken charlie's offer out.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    Apparently parson has figured out how to do at least that much. Otherwise i'm sure he would have taken charlie's offer out.
    I mean, for a fight to go on for multiple turns with two hostile sides in the same square. In most games of this type it wouldn't be possible, I think -- time is 'frozen' until the fight is resolved.

Come to think of it, time doesn't seem to pass until a side ends their turn. What happens if one side simply refuses to end the turn?
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2008-08-16 at 06:14 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89

Much has been made of the fact the Archons are wearing dance fighting outfits. In the right bottom corner of panel 5 there is an archon still wearing her 'Air Hostess Chip-poke'

should be interesting to see how many non-scots get that reference ;)

30. - Top - End - #90

I mean, for a fight to go on for multiple turns with two hostile sides in the same square. In most games of this type it wouldn't be possible, I think -- time is 'frozen' until the fight is resolved.

Come to think of it, time doesn't seem to pass until a side ends their turn. What happens if one side simply refuses to end the turn?
    1) large numbers of Marbits are already 'inside' GK so it is at least possible for them to co-exist where there are in-hex physical barriers. Indeed we don't know how 'large' GK is in terms of the rules

2) interesting question, very interesting question, I am very curious indeed about that one... maybe the turn auto-ends if you don't move, maybe no-one in the history of erfworld has ever tried it.