New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Halfling in the Playground
    Default Re: Personal OOTS Avatars

I use photobucket, see if that works.

If that doesn't work, perhaps you are doing something wrong. Keep posting til you get the problem resolved.
    Veeratars Unite!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Halfling in the Playground

I made it work. Hah! I'm smarter than a picture.

Right click, click "Properties" and copy/paste the address there into the space.
    http://www.geocities.com/enaronia]My homebrew, under construction. Feel free to drop by and criticize.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cyberkitten
    Thanks, but it doesn't seem to like me, as it isn't working. :-/
    What file format is it? You said you made it in Paint - so is it still a bitmap? Avatars have to be JPG or GIF.
    The member of the Australian Society for the Encouragement and Propagation of Beards. - Custom avatar by Moonsinger. Technical assistance by Quasimodo.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's not exactly OOTS-related, I use it everywhere...
    I suppose I could claim it's inspired by the creature in the shadows but I made it before I found OOTS...
    Full picture is here
    Probably the only decent picture I've ever actually finished...
    <link rel="signature" type="text/hilarious" href="/funnysig.txt" />

5. - Top - End - #275
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Heres mine! Paintshop all the way! man it took forever, but it's worth it!
    "The forest is a dangerous place to those who don't know its secrets, your in luck though because i know them" -Tharar Greenleaf, Ranger, to my weekly D&D group

6. - Top - End - #276
    Pixie in the Playground

I have made a few, in addition to the one I am using. (If you look closely, you can see he is using all but one of the items from my entry in the Magic Items Contest.)

This is a half-orc Cleric1/Paladin6 about to enter our game...

This is Haegan Faersall, a Fighter4/Cleric3

This is Raeth, an albino elf Fighter3/Rogue4

I did them in Campaign Cartographer (Great for the simple lines and shapes) then imported them into Photoshop to turn them into transparent gifs.

If you want to use them, please be kind and follow these rules.
    [list][*] Ask me first[*] Don't alter them[*] download them to your own site before using them (I can't take the bandwidth otherwise...)

7. - Top - End - #277
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RawBearNYC
    Graphics 101 time:

Scaling

Browsers can be set to display an Image at a certain size. The avatars here on the site are 117 x 117 (I believe, too lazy to confirm). If you use a very large image as your avatar, the browser will try to shrink it to 117 x 117 (or grow in the case of small images).

There are two problems with this: First, web browsers use the worst algorythm for resizing images, and unless the resize ratio is by halves or doubles, the image WILL look like crap. Second, the aspect ratio becomes important. A rectangular image stretched or shrunk to square dimensions (117 x 117) will have the smaller direction stretched more than the shorter direction, distorting your image.

With that in mind, your final result should be 117 x 117. If you chose to make the image larger, make sure it starts out as square and then scale it down in the program of your choice. to get the best results.

Last thought

I've mentioned before that Microsoft Paint doesn't do anti-aliasing. This will create images with lines that don't look smooth. However, some people have had some limited success with making very large images in paint and then scaling them down, so give it a try.
    So would it be better to start with a large square and shrink it down or just the 117X117 pixels and keep it the same size?
    Look behind you!

Spoiler
    Show
    Made you look

8. - Top - End - #278
    Orc in the Playground

The best thing is to begin with 117*117 and make sure to draw all the way to the edges.. or begin with something somewhat bigger and then crop out the edges.. resizing will usually screw up on angled straight lines.
    The Giant Wrote: I bend the rules when it makes it funny. Accept.

Unrelated to the above:
    I was gone from the forums for seven years, two months and a week. Let's see if I've been reeled back in.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

I made this avatar, but I'm having some trouble, cuz the white background around the image just won't go away. &gt;:( I also made the one in my sig and some other goblins, all with the same goblin head I made. Here they all are: http://img211.echo.cx/img211/5121/oots4bo.jpg

edit: changed avatars and sigs, the ones I was talking about is on the link.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Pixie in the Playground

My current one is a drawing I did of myself a few days ago. I did this one (in my normal everday clothes, I barely change out of this) and another one (my sweet sixteen outfit. I sewed it myself. I embellished it a bit in the picture, but the concept is the same.)

http://www.neon-nerd.net/me.gif

http://www.neon-nerd.net/alldressedup.gif

11. - Top - End - #281
    Pixie in the Playground

I've decided to upgrade! This is my first OotS-style avatar attempt.

How many of them can we make die!

12. - Top - End - #282
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Starla

So would it be better to start with a large square and shrink it down or just the 117X117 pixels and keep it the same size?
    It depends. If your software can handle anti-aliasing, then it's better to make your image at size (117x117). I've just heard that users of Paint (no anti-aliasing support) have had some luck with making larger images and scaling them down to 117x117. So, it depends on the capabilities of the software you're using to create the avatars.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Pixie in the Playground

Yeah, well, the guy on the left is my first work. it took me hours on paint to do his feet. i enlarged an image of belkar to examine the pixels hmore clearly. i painstakingly made hime pixel by pixel, and am pleased with the final outcome. :)

14. - Top - End - #284
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey all, this is my first post ever, so be kind. I wanted to try my hand at OOTS-style art, and I figured my first attempt should be my own avatar. Eat your own dog food, and all that. :) So here it is:

It'll probably change over time as I get better with Inkscape. What a great application that is.

Simon

15. - Top - End - #285
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow! Wish my first OotS style avatar turned out that well! Good job.

Here is the latest avatar I did for PhoenKun, hope he doesn't mind me sharing it here. I'm waiting on feed back now on what needs to be altered on it. :)

Omen Darkwoods Best Free RPG System Ever!! <--- TAKE A LEAP AND CLICK!! Portfolio

16. - Top - End - #286
    Dwarf in the Playground

Throwing out another avie. Man, Inkscape makes it soo easy once you get the hang of it... now if I can get my artistic ability up ;)

Underworld:

Think I might do an animated gif of her lowering and shooting.
    Omen Darkwoods Best Free RPG System Ever!! <--- TAKE A LEAP AND CLICK!! Portfolio

17. - Top - End - #287
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks!

First I followed through the great tutorial and that didn't turn out too badly. With a little more practice I might start taking requests.

Simon

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

And here's my random lich avatar that's part request and part random fun for me...

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Hey guys, new to the forum, but I've been following OotS for what seems like forever! Anywho, here's not only my first attempt at drawing an OotS character, but also my first time using Inkscape!

Goblin Wizard

Any and all feedback is welcome! ;D

EDIT: Updated in accordance with Omen's suggestions. It looks much better now, thanks! Keep the feedback coming ;)!

20. - Top - End - #290
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow! 1 ~ wish I would have started using inkscape sooner and 2 ~ wish I was as good at it as the recent posters. Very nice with only one suggestion...

The magic hand... there is a box just to the right of the sold fill that gradient, try that with adjusting the transparency slide at the bottom of the window that pops up to make it look more magiky. ;)

Other than that = awesome IMHO

21. - Top - End - #291

Beholder

Ah, yeah, that does look better. Thanks, Omen!

22. - Top - End - #292

Beholder

Ok, I've found my speciality: goblins! Anywho, I can't decide which one to use as my avatar, and suggestions and feedback on either of them is most definetly welcome!

Goblin Ranger

EDIT: Ok, this time I made a goblin cleric. I really like the way he came out, so I've found my new avatar ;D!

Goblin Cleric

23. - Top - End - #293
    Pixie in the Playground