New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gargexs Lair

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Gargexs Lair

It seems your journey from Stonewater has come to an end ,The ruined tower sits atop the largest hill in the area , sticking out like a broken tooth as the moon rises above it in the distance . You approach caustiously and can see the state of disrepair it finds itself in now , whatever doors it once had have long since turned to dust and all that remains of the tower top can be seen scattered around the base of the tower , with lichen and moss growing atop them . The air seems positively charged with a malevolence unlike anything you have felt before and even the foolhardiest of adventures and treasure seekers would feel ill at ease in such a place .
    Where once there was a door all that remains is an opening in the tower and darkness within .
    It is said within those walls is an entrance leading down into the depths of the halls of Gargex, where wealth and items of great power await those brave or crazy enough to enter .
    You..................
    Reduced posting til monday , sorry those I am gaming withSeven Provinces

Cliche

Tophats Gauntlet

2. - Top - End - #2
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Default Re: Gargexs Lair

Nevik, Human Cleric

"Ah. This must be the place. Shall we go in?" He is a relative nondescript individual, wearing scale armor and carrying a large wooden shield as well as a morningstar. A holy symbol of Fharlanghn dangles at his wrist. Plodding along behind him is "Chuck", a pack mule.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurgnath Stonespit, Dwarven Fighter

The dwarf shook his head at the dillapidated state in which the tower now stood.

"No dwarf work woulda fallen down like this after such a short time."

Seeing his cleric friend making for the entrance, he hurries over on stubby legs, armor creaking all the while to stand in front of the entrance.

"When we do go in there...ye'd better make sure y'all 'ave somethin ta shine the way. I'll go in first when we go, but make any finger-wagglin preparations a'fore we set foot in there. An, you'll likely need ta find a place ta tie up ol' Chuck there. I dinnae think e'll like trudging around inna tower or down into whatever tunnels we find down there."

Kurgnath pulls his crossbow off the loop on his belt and cranks back the strings, affixing a bolt in place carefully. With that done, he again hangs the weapon from his belt. Reaching over his shoulder, he pulls the large wooden shield over his shoulder and begins fastening it to his left arm. The protective item shows many signs of use from previous battles. With that finished, his right hand strays down to the haft of his axe and makes sure it is plenty loose in it's belt loop. With a nod to himself, he hops around a bit and squirms slightly, making sure his chain armor is properly settled on his squat form.

Green eyes beam excitedly from underneath bushy yellow eyebrows that could use a good combing. His long blonde beard is pulled into three braids, two smaller ones flanking a larger middle one that has a few metal rings intertwined with the thick hair.

He waits patiently for the others to make themselves ready.......for now.
    Last edited by Diarmuid; 2008-08-20 at 01:33 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Leon, Human Duskblade

Standing tall and muscular, Leon seems to having a hard time to decide which weapon to use, finally he decides for his Falchion.

"Yeah, seems like the right place, feels awful enough"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hugo Human Rogue

The lanky blond human smiles as he casually holds a crossbow.

"I suppose we need to be checking this place out now. After all no need to go rushing into an evil man home..."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

So your band has gathered at what once was the gate to the lair of gargex the mad . Ahead lies your destiny or possibly just your doom . The dark entrance to the tower stands before you ...

Cliche

Tophats Gauntlet

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurgnath Stonespit, Dwarven Fighter

The dwarf had been looking expectantly at the cleric, waiting for him to do some of his magic crap. When it became obvious he had no intentions of casting any spells, he looked to the others and again saw no intentions for making any preparations, magical or mundane. Kurgnath knew he would be able to see in the darkened tower, the others would have to fend for themselves.

Reaching up, he pounded down onto his metal helm, securing it in place. Pulling his axe out, he puffed his chest up, stuck his chin out and strode forward into the tower alert for danger.

Spot - (1d20+3)[15]
    Listen - (1d20+3)[23]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

You all see a rather tall elf with deep forest green eyes, and sparkling white hair. He wears a blue leather suit of armor. He has a small bow latched onto his backpack, he has 3 notches in his belt. The two notches on the sides hold sheaths for his swords, the left one holds a shorter sheath, and the right side holds the longer one. Closer to the left side holds a stick that has a cloth over the top of it concealing a flame which oddly enough doesn't burn the cloth.

Before entering the tower, Makrian, says, " If it isnt too much trouble, I suggest that someone that can defend us go into the front." He pulls a cloth off of the stick revealing a burning torch, "Here this torch will burn forever, and will not burn you. I can see in the dark better than you people, so take this if you want to see." He stretches out his hand to give the torch to whoever wants it. After whoever takes the torch, Makrian pulls on his leather armor as to stretch it into place, it makes a loud squeaking sound. "I would prefer to go first, using my swords as my weapons, but if someone else wants to, I can provide support with my bow." He then proceeds into the tower.
    All the Credit for my Avatar goes to Exeson.

9. - Top - End - #9

Hugo Human Rogue

"I'll take it." Said to the elf about the magic torch. "I am more then willing to let the tougher people go first... However if you are thinking their might be a trap and want to spend the time looking..."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kurgnath heads in through the opening , his finely tuned dwarven eyes scan the area , he can see that the inside of the tower is pretty much as dilipitated as the outside , broken walls and rotting wood are the main features of the inside of the tower , hardly any roofing remains at the rear of the tower there appears to be a set of stone stairs leading down , once their was a door at the top but now it is simply a door surrond ,at the bottom of the stairs it appears their is a door ,which looks far sturdier than anything else in the area .

Cliche

Tophats Gauntlet

11. - Top - End - #11

Nevik

"Aha! So something solid does exist within this mess. Perhaps our scout," he says nodding to Hugo, "should check it out for us."

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

12. - Top - End - #12

Hugo

"Of course..."

OOC: Assuming everyone is willing to let him take the time... He will take a 20 on his search check for a [27]

13. - Top - End - #13

Leon, Human Duskblade

"Take your time Hugo, better to be safe then sorry, and remember what we talked about before, I am only a few steps behind you, when we run into problems."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurgnath

The dwarf grumbles loudly and kicks some broken stones around while Hugo take his sweet time with searching the door.

A couple times, it looks like he is going to interrupt but instead just rolls his eyes and grumbles some more.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

The door is fairly sturdy , dosen't appear to be trapped , although it does appear to have a sturdy looking lock in addition to a handle .

Cliche

Tophats Gauntlet

16. - Top - End - #16

Hugo

Given that he didn't find any traps, Hugo tries to open the door. If it is indeed locked he breaks out his tools and goes to work.

OOC: Take 20 on opening the lock with MW tools for a [30]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Slowly and carefully you line up all the bits and pieces inside the lock and with a low click the lock is opened .

Cliche

Tophats Gauntlet

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurgnath

The dwarf loomed over the man working on the lock, his beard dangling almost in the way at times. A couple times while he was working, the dwarf appeared to be sizing the door up, guaging its structural integrity.

"Are ye done yet?"

He grumbles impatiently.

19. - Top - End - #19

Hugo

The human feels the click right as the Dwarf asks. With a smile he turns the knob and opens the door. To the dwarf he says, "After you."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Krugnath

Krinkling up his nose at the rogue's "bravado", the dwarf steps past him through the now open portal.

Spot - (1d20+3)[7]
    Listen - (1d20+3)[8]

21. - Top - End - #21

Hugo

Putting away his tools Hugo loads his crossbow before following the dwarf in.

Listen - (1d20+6)[8]

spot - (1d20+6)[22]

22. - Top - End - #22

Nevik

Chuckling slightly at how easily his comrades squabble, Nevik follows the others.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Opening the door you see a largish square room about 50 feet each room , a bunch of goblins are in the middle of the room squabling over an assortment of objects . One of the goblins spots you and squarks in alarm and points but the other two dont pay any notice to him and continue squabling between themselves .

The most observant goblin goes for one of the three spear's that is discarded near the wall at the far end of the room . Still shouting in the goblin tongue.

Spoiler
    Show

inititive for active goblin (1d20+1)[9]

Ill try and get a map up of the room when i am at home tonight , the goblins are near the back of the room aproximatly 45 feet from where you are , they are standing in front of another door , the room has two more doors (in addition to the one you came in )

Cliche

Tophats Gauntlet

24. - Top - End - #24

Leon makes himself ready for battle

Spoiler
    Show

Init - (1d20+2)[14]

Last edited by vargen; 2008-08-29 at 11:28 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Makrian, draws his swords, and says Finally, something to do myself, this is not going to be a workout in the least." He prepares himself for battle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initative (1d20+3)[21]
    All the Credit for my Avatar goes to Exeson.

26. - Top - End - #26

Nevik

The cleric chimes in with a lighthearted bit of sarcasm, "I suppose negotiating is out of the question?"

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative - (1d20-1)[13]

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

There will be a better map later but as a prilimanary guide , each O is a 5 ft square .G are goblins KHN are you guys , the other two guys are yet to come down into the room D is for door

llllllllllllllllDllllllllllllllllll
    lllOOOOGGGOOOl
    lllOOOOOOOOOOl
    lllOOOOOOOOOOl
    lllOOOOOOOOOOl
    lllOOOOOOOOOOl
    DOOOOOOOOOOD
    lllOOOOOOOOOOl
    lllOOOOOOOOOOl
    lllOOOOOOOOOOl
    lllOOOOKHOOOOl
    llllllllllllllllNOllllllllllllll

Last edited by tophat; 2008-08-29 at 07:23 AM.

Cliche

Tophats Gauntlet

28. - Top - End - #28

Hugo
    Hit points: 8
    AC: 16 Touch: 14 Flat: 12

The young human quickly steps to the side so that he doesn't block the door.

Then he lifts his loaded crossbow and fires. He didn't really care which one they would all die

Spoiler
    Show

Five foot step to the side
    Init - (1d20+4)[6]
    Crossbow Attack - (1d20+4)[17]
    Damage - (1d8)[1]

Last edited by estradling; 2008-08-29 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Coping Diarmuid's Idea

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurgnath
    Hit Points: 14/14
    Armor Class: 19, Touch: 11, Flat: 18

A satisfied smirk plays itself across the dwarf's face under his helm as the goblin's eyes widened at the sight of the group. Hefting his axe, he prepares to charge forward and attack the golbins.

Initiative - (1d20+1)[13]

Spoiler
    Show

Plan is to charge 40' and attack the closest goblin. If charging isnt possible due to others' movements, then I'll just double move into a threatening position, flakning with someone else if possible.

If I can charge:
    Attack - (1d20+7)[23]
    Damage - (1d10+3)[8]

30. - Top - End - #30

Leon charges nearest available goblin, finally will his blade taste goblin blod.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+7)[13]

(2d4+3)[7]