New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Lightbulb [Power] Coochy coo!

Before the arguments come I'd like to point out that technically you can also do this with Polymorph Any Object to a degree, so think about that before commenting on it's power level.

-=-=-=-=-

Retrogradance
    Psychoportation and Psychometabolism
    Level: Psion/wilder 8
    Display: Olfactory and Visual
    Manifesting Time: 1 minute
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Target: One living creature
    Duration: Permanent or Instantaneous; see text.
    Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
    Power Resistance: Yes
    Power Points: 15

The being before you suddenly shudders and they appear to age in reverse, growing younger and younger...

You put a field of time around a living being, causing them to quickly grow younger and younger until they revert to their earliest stage (Outsiders and Elementals are not affected). This can be anything from an egg or newborn to a seed or spore, depending on the creature, and are helpless. If the target has been converted to another creature, such as a Skum, they revert back to whatever being they were born as. Dispelling brings them back to their form at the time of manifestation.
    Their equipment and clothing and similar are not affected, simply falling off as the being reverts to a smaller size. The being has no memories of their life and their alignment reverts to neutrality unless the race begins with all the memories of their ancestors such as is the case of the Aboleths. In such a case ancestral knowledge and the race's standard alignment still applies.
    This power can be dispelled after up to 1 day per HD of the target. Afterward the duration becomes Instantaneous and can no longer be dispelled or reversed short of Reality Revision, Wish, or Miracle. If the power is dispelled in some way the being reverts back to their age at the time of manifestation with their memories intact.
    All wounds the being suffered is healed, though diseases, poisons and any powers or spells durations still remain in effect.
    Even if the save is made the being is Shaken for 1 round.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Aberrations - At DM's discretion. Aboleths and Illithids for instance grow from eggs, while a Beholder gives live birth. Some others may have stranger ways of reproduction.
    Animals - Newborns or Eggs
    Fey - Newborns
    Humanoids - Newborns
    Dragons - Eggs
    Giants - Newborns
    Monstrous Humanoids - Newborns or Eggs
    Magical Beasts - Newborns or Eggs
    Ooze - Puddle
    Plant - Seed or Shoot (if plant) or Spore (Fungus). Some plants like Treants may have newborns.
    Vermin - Eggs
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-08-20 at 09:05 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [Power] Coochy coo!

...remind me to have all my BBEGs have good Fort saves

This is a great way to nullify an enemy (or a PC if the DM hates them...), I'm no judge of balance though... I just know I like it...
    Amazing Abjuration Avatar made by Serpentine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramarie IRC
    <Fako> Most of my contributions to the system have been in the form of taking a baseball bat to other homebrewer's works.
    <~sirpercival> haha
    <Fako> You laugh because it's true :P
    <~sirpercival> yes. yes i do.
    Skinshred Swarm (CR 9) / Reaper Wolf (CR 5) / Demonecris (CR 18)
    Indomitable (Melee PrC [5 Lvl])

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

From experience, this is a hell of a debuff. It leaves a lot to the DM though, I'd recommend sketching out at least some rough mechanical guidelines.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Alright, I've elaborated a bit more and made outsiders and elementals immune.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    From experience, this is a hell of a debuff.
    True, but it does have a ten-round manifesting time. Basically, it lets you take care of an enemy without worrying about them being resurrected later. Plus you get to adopt the BBEG, which is just all sorts of fun.

Question: What happens if you tag the evil wizard with this power when he's thirty-five years old, then he discovers what he once was and wishes himself back when he's fifty? Does he revert to thirty-five years old, or does he just gain all the memories he used to have?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

A lot of vermin are actually mammals. So they should become newborns not eggs.

Also, wouldn't this require some additional stating? I don't think we have stats for say what newborn beholders are (of course, if someone wants to work that out, I will very much not object and then swipe them for use in a later campaign).

7. - Top - End - #7

Question: Shouldn't Undead and Constructs be immune, as well? Or does this just turn them into corpses and inert raw materials, respectively?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Question: Shouldn't Undead and Constructs be immune, as well? Or does this just turn them into corpses and inert raw materials, respectively?
    "Target: One living creature"

A lot of vermin are actually mammals. So they should become newborns not eggs.
    Which ones? I don't think I've seen any mammalian vermin in D&D.

Also, wouldn't this require some additional stating? I don't think we have stats for say what newborn beholders are (of course, if someone wants to work that out, I will very much not object and then swipe them for use in a later campaign).
    Elaborated that they are like second old at the time, and basically helpless.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post

Which ones? I don't think I've seen any mammalian vermin in D&D.
    Hmm. I thought there were a few. But the SRD disagrees with me. And I can't think of any off the top of my head. I'm probably wrong.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

what about living constructs?
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

VT, you scare me sometimes.

Like, whenever you make something.

Also though, this is reassuring to me, because I was just rather worried over whether my 8th level rune which destroys your soul was overpowered. (2 DC 26 fort saves, can be brought back by Wish/Miracle + True Resurrection even if failed). Runes being part of the set of classes I'm still working on. Anybody curious, you'll be seeing it within a few months, probably.
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2008-08-23 at 12:57 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Jeff: Dude, how much HP does this guy have?
    DM: Barbarian with 26 Con, and he took Toughness as every feat.
    Bob: I cast Retrogradance. Everyone defend me for 10 rounds.
    Jeff: ?
    Bob: Just do it!
    Jeff: Okay, okay. I move besides Bob and use Combat Expertise!
    *10 rounds later*
    DM: ...Uh. You all see Mortok the Destroyer turn into a baby.
    Jeff: Oh good job, Bob. Now we can't kill him!
    Bob: But we can raise him up to be Mortok the Cuddly now!
    Jeff: Le sigh... Alright, let's loot the place. What do we find?
    DM: ...Heh.
    Paragon Badger (14 HP)
    Str 23, Dex 32, Con 30, Int 17, Wis 27, Cha 19
    AC: 33, Claw: +29 Melee (1d2+19)
    Body by Jake Army. Avatar by Kyace.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    True, but it does have a ten-round manifesting time. Basically, it lets you take care of an enemy without worrying about them being resurrected later. Plus you get to adopt the BBEG, which is just all sorts of fun.

Question: What happens if you tag the evil wizard with this power when he's thirty-five years old, then he discovers what he once was and wishes himself back when he's fifty? Does he revert to thirty-five years old, or does he just gain all the memories he used to have?
    Almost exactly what I thought. I always want to adopt the BBEG .
    This is how to deal with villain like Nale. If you kill them, their underling would just resurrect them, so you turn them into baby! and then you can make him grow into a good guy :)

And almost exactly my question. What happen if the target grows older than his actual age ?
    Last edited by Fri; 2008-08-23 at 03:54 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stycotl View Post
    what about living constructs?
    Well, going with the example of warforged, they spring fully-formed from the creation forge. Might regress their memories, but it couldn't physically affect them.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

^makes sense.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”