New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: City of Broken Dreams: Life's Bazaar

Rolling his eyes, Sodi reaches down and mutes the man with his palm. Moving the man's head to face his own, he looks him blankly in the eyes.

"Shhhh.", he commands.

"Same question. This time, more clear."
    sign by egobuttz

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Thug nods hurriedly, and looks around a bit, then starts mumbling under Sodi's hand. Once it's removed he speaks.

You're not from the temple are you? Please tell me you're not from the temple, I don't want to be made into a zombie! I don't know why we're here, but we were offered good coin to beat up the priest! Please... don't take me to the temple!

At this point he starts hiccuping from nerves, and you can tell he's trying not to cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    You sir, are my hero.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Sodi sighs and almost rolls his eyes again but seems to catch himself.

"You were much more interesting before."

Pause.

"Who paid you?"

The questioning hovering innocently in the air.

"I mean you mentioned the orphanage. What's that about? You got something to do with it? I hope not."
    Last edited by Amotis; 2008-09-04 at 10:58 PM.
    sign by egobuttz

4. - Top - End - #34

He stammers, his voice almost going falsetto as he speaks quickly, hiccuping throughout his words.

I... I don't know who hired us. There was this guy, in the Drunkon Morkoth. He offered us money if we'd scare the priest, beat him up a little. No killing, just intimidation, yanno? Dunno what the guy looked like, he was wearing a mask and hooded robe, the mask was like the one I was wearing. He gave me the mask, said it "helped put fear in their hearts". We just needed to eat, and there's no carts going out of town so we can't get work as mercenaries, we were desperate! And I dunno nothing about the orphanage, is there something I should know?
    You sir, are my hero.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Nodding in an understanding fashion, Sodi waves him off.

"No no no. Calm down. Calm down. The only thing you need to know...is about what you did. I mean, beating up a priest? Really? I get being desperate but that's just stupid. I mean, you wanna end all this? You want a job that doesn't end with me killing you? Then don't be stupid. Don't get in the way of people trying to solve it. And, I don't know, maybe work toward ending this little lull of ours?"

He coughs a bit.

"Unless you think you can't. Then I'm sure I can relieve you of your duties."
    sign by egobuttz

6. - Top - End - #36

He shakes his head quickly.

Nnnnno... I can help... I hear all kinds of things, maybe someone will say something 'bout them missing taxes... if they do, I'll tell the town guard, okay? Pppplease, don't kill me! I just wanted to have some warm food and a place to sleep for the night!
    You sir, are my hero.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Sodi sighs and narrows his eyes a bit. Watching how the man talks, how he stammers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20)[13]
    sign by egobuttz

8. - Top - End - #38

You feel that he's telling the truth, he's too freaked out to be lying to you.
    You sir, are my hero.

9. - Top - End - #39

Angelo Rinaldi

Angelo helps the priest up.

Sure, we can get you to the temple. First, though, could you tell me your name and what you were doing when you got attacked? Anything that could help us learn more about who did this to you?

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+6)[7]
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Baerdog: super genius.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Nodding once more, Sodi starts to untie the man's hands.

"That's good...umm...I'm sorry, I never got your name. Mine's Sodi.", he says matter-of-factly as he extends a hand.

"But very nice having this little chat. Here's a gold piece to find some housing this night, and some hot food. Oh, and please apologize to the priest before you leave. If he lets you leave, that is.", Sodi says as he unties the man's legs as well, placing a gold coin in the man's palm before helping him to his feet.

Sodi then smiles at the priest, waiting patiently for an answer from him.
    sign by egobuttz

11. - Top - End - #41

The Thug lets himself be untied, and then gingerly shakes Sodi's hand.

I'm called Grit. Dunno what my parents called me, but that's what I go by now.

He takes the gold coin thankfully, and stammers a bit more.

I'm sorry, priest. It wasn't nothing personal, yanno? A man has to eat, and all... I'll come to the next mass you're having, an' apologise a bit more when I'm not covered in my own blood...

The priest looks to Grit, and notes his bruises and sorry state, listening to his apology before speaking.

Well, I guess that makes us even. These people served as St Cuthberts vengeance tonight, so YOU won't have to worry about our people hunting you down. And if you want to come to the next mass, you're welcome. Just remember to follow the law, and no harm will come to you.

My name's Ruphus Laro, I was on my way back to the temple after visiting the orphanage. Jenya, my superior, had heard of the missing children at the orphanage and she asked me to go over and have a look. I couldn't get in though, because of the mob.

He looks at the mask, now dull grey and shakes his head.

Those masks, they're worn by the local thieves guild, the Last Laugh. Not sure what they've got to do with all this, but they're an unsavoury lot at best. If you've made an enemy of them, I'd watch your back.

With that, Grit scampers off and Ruphus stands up.

Shall we go to the temple then?
    You sir, are my hero.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Katherine

If needed, Kate also helps the priest get up, and adds a cheery "Certainly!" when Angelo assures him that he can be brought to the temple. When she hears the young Pelorite move on immediately to questioning, she raises an eyebrow, assuming that the man was still too worn out for answering.

She is just about to suggest waiting until getting to the temple to ask questions of the priest when he seemingly gets his second wind. Shrugging her shoulders imperceptively, she just stays quiet for the moment and watches the show, introducing herself when introductions are thrown around.

To Ruphus' question she replies with a smile, "Yes, let's go...I'm sure we'd all like to get out of the rain for a while."

13. - Top - End - #43

The trip to the temple is uneventful, the rain finally starting to abait slightly. Rufus seems able to walk under his own speed, he's a little unsteady on his feet but with help from Angelo and Katherine he gets there just fine.

As you approach the church of St Cuthbert, you can't help but feel a little better about the night. The building itself is two stories tall, and made of white marble with vivid blue veins, in sharp contrast to the majority of Cauldron which is either wood, or black stone. A pair of white marble statues depicting armoured warriors stands on either side of the temple's heavy oaken door. Each of the statues raises a great mace to the rainclouds, and above the door's marble architrave are boldly inscribed the following words "WITHIN LAW LIVES HOPE."

Rufus makes his way up the stairs, and raps loudly on the door. About 30 seconds later, the door opens, with a small baldling man sticking his head out.

Rufus? Is that you? What are you doing out on this terrible evening?

I had some... problems, brother. Is Jenya still up?

Aye, she is, and in a terrible state. I'm guessing it's over you, she wouldn't give me word of why though.

Well, at least I won't have to wake her. Can we come in out of the rain? It's pretty miserable out here...

The door is flung open.

Of course! My apologies, I'd forget my own head if it wasn't attached, St Cuthbert guide me. Come in, come in. The sitting room has a warm fire and a good pot of stew if you have need of a meal.

Rufus motions to the hunters.

Would you come in? I'm sure Jenya would want to meet you and thank you in person. You've saved my life tonight, of that I'm sure.
    You sir, are my hero.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Rilian became noticeably agitated as the group approaches the church. He didn't like clerics, even of those who preached of their deity's benevolence. The bad ones could be cruel, capricious, and sinister, but people had come to expect that behavior from them. The only good clerics he had met in his life on the streets had been those who saw fit to witness to the street rabble. The only mercy he'd ever seen one of them offer had a hook in it: "become one of the faithful and then you shall be fed." They preached of compassion... but were as stingy with their own as a merchant with his prices. He paid lip service to the god of thieves because of his circumstances, but his experiences had taught him not to put much faith in higher powers. If they were as dubious as their servants seemed, they couldn't be relied on.

He acknowledged that there were probably clerics out there not like that, but he had yet to meet any of them. He hadn't quite made up his mind about the priest of Pelor who he was working with yet.

He took a step forward towards the doors of the church, awkwardly, then another. Looking up at Rufus, he spoke up, for the first time since the man had awoken. "I-I'm sure she will." he said, intentionally noncommittal. He had never been inside a church before... he wasn't sure if he wanted to be here, even if it was to be thanked.
    Last edited by Taren; 2008-09-05 at 03:43 PM.
    Eventually I'll return. Eventually.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

It hadn't felt the way she hoped it would, to stare Evil in the face and strike it down. She stared into the rain as the thugs had scattered before her companions like leaves, stared into the rain as Sodi questioned his captive, stared into the rain as the priest was brought back to his feet. Following, of course, was automatic, but only after the trek was started (and a fair while after, at that) did she remember to return her sword and shield to their resting places.

But then... perhaps the reason it didn't feel right because what she faced wasn't Evil. That was just Cauldron, right? Just the symptom. An attack was stopped, and nobody died. An innocent was saved. Everything happened the way it should have. In any case, all this thinking and brooding wasn't getting anyone anywhere! A deep breath, and the cloud over her head departs as quickly as it came.

Noticing Rilian's agitation, Erica is quick to get close to him, offering a smile and a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"It's ok, the church won't bite." She giggles. "Maybe you're worried about the ones inside? People are people, don't you think? We take them each as we find them. Come on, smile! We did a good thing, let's feel good about it for a minute before getting back to worrying. What do you say?"

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Rilian felt a hand fall on his shoulder. His entire body tensed and he jerked away. The grip wasn't that strong; he could break it. As he twisted, his head whirled around, eyes locking with hers for just a moment. His eyes betrayed fear. Anger. Desperation.

The grip wasn't strong. It wasn't trying to restrain him. It wasn't the tight, clamping grip of a guard seizing him as he held a lady's coinpurse in his hands. It wasn't.

He stopped and stood still. "Sorry. I... am not used to being touched." She had asked him to smile. After his reaction, he owed her at least that. His lips bent upwards slightly, as much as he could muster. It wasn't genuine, but hopefully it would satisfy her. "Y-yes. Let's f-feel good about what we've done. At l-least for now."
    Last edited by Taren; 2008-09-05 at 09:16 PM.
    Eventually I'll return. Eventually.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Ydresse

"Within law lives hope." Ydresse murmurs, as if tasting the phrase, before shaking her head in dismissal. "The guard will be expecting our report." She reminds her comrades mildly.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Erica frowns.

"You don't agree? You won't smile... or, you can't smile?" She sighs. "Well, let's make a deal, ok? We'll be brave, and go into this temple, without even worshiping their god! And then, when we get out, I'm going to stay with you and protect you until you learn how to smile for real. And, if I let you down, if I ever hurt you... then you get to pick my punishment, ok?"

She beams at the trembling young man, radiating an excess of confidence to make up for his seeming lack. And with that, she turns to enter the temple.

"Anyway, maybe they have a lead here the town guard doesn't know about... our report can wait a bit more, yeah?"

19. - Top - End - #49

Default Katherine

Her sharp ears picking up bits and pieces of the other conversations going on, Kate chimes in on the subject of report giving. "Yes, Erica; I would also think it could wait. With all that we'll have to tell tonight, I'm sure they won't mind if we're a bit late."

Upon seeing the words inscribed above the door, Katherine ponders them for just a moment...

Hm. That reeeeeallllly depends on who made the 'law', doesn't it?

...before mentally dismissing them. All laws were superfluous, as far as Katherine was concerned...except one. And that one was more of a guideline, really. But, this was not a time to engage in philosophical debate, and the adherents to those four words certainly had the right to their own opinion...so long as they didn't force that opinion on others.

Not one to let her difference of opinion spoil the moment, however, Kate keeps a smile on her pretty face as she replies to Ruphus. "Sure, I think we can come in for a while...we'll have to be going before too long, though."
    Last edited by Toxic Avenger; 2008-09-07 at 01:52 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50

Angelo Rinaldi

Angelo observes the unease shared by some of the others at the prospect of entering the temple. He never understood the fear that some people had of the gods. Sure there are evil ones, but there are also good ones that provide healing, strength, and guidance for those that worship them. He couldn't imagine trying to go through his life without the light of Pelor to guide him and it seemed to him that a life without faith would be terribly...lonely.

Come on, he says, mounting the steps. Clerics of St. Cuthbert can be stern, but they won't smite you for following a different deity, or none at all.

He bows to the other cleric as he reaches the top step. I would be very grateful for a place in your sitting room and a bowl of stew.

21. - Top - End - #51

Rufus nods to the hunters, and heads in, motioning for them to follow him. The church itself is a stately affair, with a high ceiling and stained glass windows that flicker in the light of the many candles, the rain bouncing off the window surfaces with a tinkling like many bells.

He leads the hunters through the church and then to a door on the left of the main dais. He opens the door, and ushers them all in.

The room you enter is warm and well lit. Whilst it is made of marble like the rest of the church, there are many tapestries on the walls, as well as a bookcase filled with scrolls and texts. The tapestries seem to show the saints of the church in various scenes, and there is a large one of St Cuthbert himself, standing with a book in one hand, and his cudgel in the other.

On the floor of the room is several large cushions, big enough for someone to sleep in if the need came, as well as a few wooden chairs, and a large fireplace set into the stone itself.

The fire is glowing with heat and warmth, and there is a large stew pot over the fire, and a kettle sitting on the stones just in front of it. To the left of the fireplace is a table with some bowls and spoons, a ladle, and a large cob of bread.

There is another door leading out of the room, and Rufus makes his way over to it, indicating as he does to stay here.

He smiles to the hunters before he goes through.

Relax here, dry off and have some food. Jenya will see you shortly, and Brother Pindle will be here to look after you. I need to go and speak with her for the moment, but she shouldn't be long.

The priest who opened the front door nods, it seems he's Brother Pindle. He takes a wooden seat and settles himself in the corner near the food, offering to serve those who wish it.

There is a window in here to the outside, through it you see the occassional flash of lightning, shortly followed by a roll of thunder.

He looks out the window and sighs.

Flood season is fast approaching, I hope we'll be okay this year.
    You sir, are my hero.

22. - Top - End - #52

Angelo Rinaldi

Angelo deposits his soaking pack, cloak, helm, and crossbow by the fire. He graciously accepts a bowl of stew and piece of bread from Brother Pindle before taking a seat on one of the cushions.

So Brother Rufus told us that he was coming back from the orphanage when he was attacked. Is the Church of St. Cuthbert also investigating the disappearances?

23. - Top - End - #53

Brother Pindle nods and hands him a bowl full of stew, smiling.

When the orphanage was being built, we helped with its construction. Since then, we have aided those who run it with both their spiritual and physical needs, as well as teaching the children reading and writing, as well as the word of St Cuthbert.

One of the main concerns there is with orphans, asides from their welfare, is that they are preyed upon by the thieves guilds for employment purposes. They take the children and exploit them, teaching them the way of the street and inducting them into crime. By teaching the children how to read and write, giving them a safe environment, and teaching them the words of St Cuthbert, we hope to minimise the harm that the thieves could do.

Within law lives hope, after all.
    You sir, are my hero.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'm pretty sure it's the other way around..." Erica muses as she stares out the window.

"I mean, Law's all well and good, but it doesn't really make people happy. Unhappy people don't like to follow laws, right? I think happiness comes first, and then it's Law's job to make sure it stays safe. It's about letting them hope, not making them hope... yes?"

She smiles softly, and then gestures towards the stew.

"Oh, uh, and can I get some of that. I didn't think I was hungry, but that smells really good."

25. - Top - End - #55

Brother Pindle shrugs at Erica's words whilst handing her a bowl of stew and some bread.

There's a difference between happiness and hope. You can hope whilst being unhappy, can you not? Indeed, most people hope when they are unhappy. When they are happy, they have no need to hope.

St Cuthbert's word teaches that when the law is obeyed, then there can be hope. Without the law, there is no chance for hope as chaos and entropy rule.

Jenya was once an orphan, and she learnt of St Cuthbert through our work with the orphanage. The elders taught her to read and write, and the word of St Cuthbert. She grew up with the hope of salvation, and she is now one of our most senior priests, second only to Father Delasharn. Her adherence to the law and order within the orphanage helped set her apart from the other children, and her diligence at learning set her on the path to enlightenment.
    You sir, are my hero.

26. - Top - End - #56

Default Katherine

After finding a safe place where she can leave her weapons, Katherine places her pack and cloak close to the fire - but not too close. Then she also graciously accepts some bread and stew from Brother Pindle before sitting down on one of the wooden chairs.

For a few moments, Kate listens intently to the conversation, not surprised in the least when it makes its quick turn into the philosophical realm. Finally, after taking in some of the other viewpoints, she weighs in with her own. "Love..." she begins with the Celestial word for Love before catching herself, and pauses before continuing on in the Common tongue. "...I would think that within Love, lives Hope..."
    Last edited by Toxic Avenger; 2008-09-08 at 10:20 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Ydresse

Her Ladyship mutters a spell and begins drying out her soaking clothes. "I had always heard it that where there was life, there was hope." She puts in.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

28. - Top - End - #58

Brother Pindle looks at the hunters curiously, and puts down the ladle before sitting down again, a sad look on his face.

You all have an opinion. That is good, at least you are willing to think about what it is that gives you hope. I have found in my life, that everyone has something different that they hold onto, something that gives them hope. For us, it is the law.

But, at least you can all hope. There are many in this city who have lost that. We have tried many things to help them, but there is only so much we can do, especially when the law is not just. We follow the laws of St Cuthbert, and try to follow the laws of the land, but that does not mean we agree with them all. The law on our special "taxes", for example. There are some laws that should not be, but we do what we can to change this, through politics and through appealing to the better natures of those in control.

He looks up and smiles

Let us be united in hope, regardless of how we find it, eh?
    You sir, are my hero.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Sodi enters behind everyone, giving a nod to Brother Pindle as he enters. Dropping his pack near the fire, he reflexively rips off a piece of bread and circles the room as the other talk. Listening. Tapestries. Window. Tapestries.

Munching along, he pauses at one of them. Looking up, he reaches out as if to touch it. Tactile.

Pause. Hesitates.

Retracts his hand, and turns back toward the group.

"Yes. That's true."

Pause. Hesitation.

"Right? I mean...well hope is leaking from our city. We need more comfort. Laws do comfort people..."
    sign by egobuttz

30. - Top - End - #60

The door that Rufus went through swings open, framing an attractive woman. She wears the robes of the office of priestess, and her hair is long and dark, flowing down below her waist. She takes a quick note of the room and its occupants before she introduces herself.

Good evening to you all. My name is Jenya Urikas, Priestess of St Cuthbert. I understand I have you to thank for returning Brother Rufus to us. I would like to offer you all three things. Firstly, my gratitude for your aid to him. Secondly, a gift, to show our appreciation for what you have done. And thirdly, if you are willing, I would like to offer you all a job.

With that she offers a bag to Sodi, smiling at him as she does.

This is for you all, share them how you see fit.

When he opens the bag, he sees several small flasks with the holy symbol of St Cuthbert emblazoned on the neck.

They are holy draughts, they will heal your wounds in battle, and aid you should harm befall you.

She looks around the room to see the responses of the hunters, and waits for their questions

Spoiler
    Show
    The potions are all maximised Cure Moderate Wounds potions, healing 19hp each. There are 6 of them in total.
    Last edited by Rei_Jin; 2008-09-09 at 06:01 PM.
    You sir, are my hero.