New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron: The Secrets of War Group A IC

Arturo

Shocked that he had just been accused of insulting Mortimus, Arturo pipes up, "You've got me wrong, sah. I wasn't making light of your performance in battle, only inquiring if you're going to be the sort of 'leash'-type gent that I've been evading all my life."
    RIP Richard Wright: 1943 - 2008

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Mortimus

Mortimus stares at Arturo for a few seconds then bursts out laughing.

Arturo. You are a grown man and I have no business interfering in your life. I can barely live my life as it is, and let alone all the mistakes I have made. No friend, I will not put you on a leash as you call it so.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zalivane

"We are following too many leads at once. This mystery only deepens."

"I get a hunch, however, that these incidents are not unrelated. The wheel of fate binds all things together; spinning large crimes and small crimes into a fabric of life."

"And when the wheel stops...
    you die."

Zalivane scratches his nose, and makes sure all of his gear is still on him. He slings the shield across Brunt's belt.

"I am very tempted to kill you now. I could. It is completely within my power, we both know that."
    "But, inexplicably, I would recieve neither pleasure nor reward. Perhaps this is what Aurelia meant when she explained the concept of 'empathy'."

"So your trip to Dolurrh stays for a short time longer. Mortimus, Arturo; we need to decide what we are doing. Not that I do not support your bickering, of course. We are only in need of a consistent plan."

"We can investigate this mysterious employer who arranged the ambush. We can investigate Sebastien, who appears to be an enemy of our newfound employer, Aelton. We can also continue with Aelton's final task, the investigation of his apartment while the scene is still fresh."

"It is my expert statement that we investigate Brunt's benefactor. The trail at Aelton's home is likely long gone, Sebastien is unlikely to have an inkling of our suspicions, and thus can be visited anytime,"
    the drow opines with a nondescript, sleepy expression.

4. - Top - End - #154

Arturo

"Ah, good! That means I don't have to put this" Arturo pats his shortsword at his side. "Through your shoulderblades while you sleep!" he says at Mortimus' comment.

After hearing Zalivane's explanation as to why doing what Arturo was going to do all along was the best course of action, Arturo laughs, and, 'motivating' Brunt with his boot, pipes up, "There is always method to my madness, Zalivane! I am just so used to being the only one to be convinced of such."

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zalivane

"A method to your madness?"

"None of that... made sense. Your words are garbled, your laughter misplaced. I think."

"I am not so convinced, friend."
    "Hah. Friend."

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Mortimus

He smiles slightly at Arturo. Even if I was asleep, I doubt you could hit the pillow with your aim.

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show

well mort/arturo are going to be walking beside Brunt as he takes us to the building. So he doesnt chance escape.

This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

7. - Top - End - #157

Arturo

"I fear I'm too used to 'adventuring' alone. See what I meant was that your explanation just then - it was my own to myself. We are on the same page so to speak. I don't think I'll bother explaining more until my head is clear of the taint of ale." he says, more up to the night sky than at the Drow fellow.

With a burp that leaves a grimace on his face, Arturo adds, "If you'd call that ale."
    Last edited by Hlaine Larkin; 2008-09-19 at 01:15 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Bugbear in the Playground

With the prodding, kicking and pushing provided by Zalivane, Mortimus and Arutro, Brunt makes excellent progress down the street. The two kobolds follow you for a short while, but when it seems as if you aren't going to cut his throat and walk away they hiss and disappear into the darkness.

It only takes two minutes to get to your destination, which is evidenced by Brunt swearing loudly at a broken door in the middle of a heavily planked alleyway. Like he described, it really looks like someone started to board up the space between two buildings.

Brunt shuffles into the doorway and growls into the dark space.

"You had to leave one o' me gang alive, huh? Was that Kulp I saw runnin' off earlier? Th'bastard came back and took most everything."

As you each enter you first notice that extensive work has been done on this 'building', and planks of quite possibly every kind of wood have been cobbled together to create a live-able space raised just a foot off of where the alley's grim ridden cobbles would be. Ten hammocks and bedrolls hang and lie around the room, each with a backpack beside them. The backpacks seemed to have been rifled through quickly, with food and clothing spilled all over the floor.

Swearing again Brunt walks towards a hammock towards the back of the room and starts stomping on the floor.

"Always *crack* have a hidin' place *crack*, just in case *creak* one of your mates decides he ain't a mate *crack* no *crack* more *CRACK*," Brunt grunts and manages to put his boot through one of the planks, and with a hoping lurch, pulls his foot back out, revealing a small crawl space that has several items with it.

"All right, that's all there is that's worth anythin'. You take all that, then you let me go. Deal?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Looking into the hole you see only a few things. A full bottle labeled Jimkin Bearhugger's Finest Whiskey, two scrolls, a pouch of gold (100 galifers), a small crystal and a sheet of paper.
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2008-09-20 at 03:18 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eberron: The Secrets of War
    Dance my PC puppets, dance!

Image courtesy of iceddragons

Wonderful Avatar of Mehk, kobold Puppeteer of Legend, by Sneak

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zalivane

"I forgot about him."

"Good for him. Then he made off like a king. I hope that he enjoys it."
    "On an unrelated note, I never said that I would 'let you go'. You simply inferred as such."

"I saved your life with marginal assistance. As such, I expect that, if the situation so calls for it, I will be able to call on your 'expertise'. Though you probably will not be able to help physically, I know that -"

Zalivane completely trails off. He seems distant, distracted, and almost bored. His eyes glaze over, though with an appearance of a sleepy child than a possessed spirit.

The Drow seems absolutely fascinated with the state of the shack.

"I am quite enamored by architecture. The dilapidated, real, 'lived-in' appearance."

"Though, Arturo, you are likely more fascinated by Brelish finery."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Barbarian in the Playground

Garome

Garome follows behind, frowning, arms folded. He didn't perticularly like the detour to the thug's hideout. HHe hoped it would help shorten the time he had to spend in the city today, but, as he surveys the thug's hideout and meager possessions, it become obvious to him that it may not be the case.

Still, the Talenta hunter keeps his eyes peeled, to try to spot something the thug might be hiding from them, as unlikely as the hovel made it seem.

Spot - (1d20+8)[21]

11. - Top - End - #161

Gabe

Gabe wastes no time in removing the contents of the crawlspace. He looks gredily at the gem for a moment and the coin pouch fr a few more, but lays them aside eventually and checks both sides of the paper, hoping it might be the order that Brunt mentioned.
    Avatar by Vulion. Vectored by me.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Mortimus

he looks around and listens to see if anyone is still in the building. He doubts it though.

He stays behind Brunt making sure he doesnt cause a commotion.

13. - Top - End - #163

Arturo

Responding to Zalivane, Arturo cuts in, "Don't be so cold. He's small-time. He's no use alive or dead, so best take the road of less work. Let him live."

His eyes widen at the stash of gold in the floorboards. "Let's... Uh, let's... divvy this up, eh guys? Fair share for all, savvy?" he says, not taking his eyes off of the gold the whole time.
    Last edited by Hlaine Larkin; 2008-09-21 at 11:11 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164

The paper only holds a simple note written in common, with handwriting that is truely horrible.

"When the half-elf Aelton is dead send a message through any Sivis courier to the Blue Promise in Redstone of the upper levels simply saying that the job is complete. Within two hours of sending the message, walk into the shop and the keeper will give you the location that we will meet for your second payment. If you have not sent word within three days the deal is off."

When Gabe picks the crystal up it begins to glow with a sickly brown-green light and just touching it makes it feel like his energy is being sapped. The two scrolls each have a small picture in the margins, one of a screaming elf and a trio of goblins weeping before it, and the other of a bugbear frozen in mid club-strike.

Though you are all innately suspicious of the hovel, none of you see anything other than what it is, though Garome does spot some strange looking mushrooms growing in one corner of the room that he doesn't immediately recognize.

"Alright," Brunt shifts a little, "That's all I got. That crystal there was on the weapon of my commander during the war. Never took time to figure it out, but it's got some kinda magic," he grins, "Just don't ask me how I got it. Hope you're all happy though," he kicks at one of the packs, "Word gets out about this, and I won't run a gang again. Gonna have to go back to merc work again. So, you lot going to let me go?"
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #165

Arturo

"Meh. You've kept your word good enough, but I bet the Drow'll try and stick you." Arturo says offhand, looking about the place, occasionally taking on a shocked face as the idea that this... shack could be lived in.

As if not really interested, he questions the thug leader again. "What sivis box is it? I mean, so we know."

Turning to the others, he says in Halfling, "We'll check the sivis box after Aelton's place. We'll put the message in saying that we've killed Aelton, and then we should wait and see who comes to collect the letter, no? As for this place, I think we're done here either way.", switching to elvish, he says "Zalivane, go ahead and kill Brunt here if you wish. I'd rather you didn't, but follow your heart, my friend."
    Last edited by Hlaine Larkin; 2008-09-22 at 10:56 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166

Gabe

More unnerved than usual after holding the small crystal, Gabe asks "Do... Do you know what it did? Not how it did it, wouldn't try to figure it out myself. Just... Just what he used it to do." He stops for a moment to calm down, but soon he lifts the scrolls and says "Anybody think they could find a use for these?"
    Avatar by Vulion. Vectored by me.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zalivane

With no beard to stroke, no stubble to scratch, and no pipe or cigar to fumble with, Zalivane, has no way to idle or fiddle with his hands. Instead, he opts to cross his arms.

"..."
    Zalivane squints... and punches Brunt in the groin.
    (d20)[2]+2

"You are a has-been; beneath me. Should the situation occur that we require your assistance, we will ask you."

"We should make our leave. Arturo, you make a most excellent suggestion. I would agree, and propose we follow said course of action."

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

In Elven: Why are you both so eager to kill? This man was paid to do a job. True he might inform his employer that it went horrible, but I for one say we let him go. He kept his word, so let us keep ours. Or are you not men of your word?
    Last edited by Deathslayer7; 2008-09-24 at 01:15 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169

With most of you talking in elvish and glancing towards him Brunt starts to look edgy and shuffles back from you all a little, and so when Zalivane goes to punch him in the groin, Brunt is mostly ready for the hit. Even so, the thug still gets clipped in the testicles and sags like a willow tree.

"Aye... fine..." he gives a little wheeze and tries to stand up straight, "Just so you know... whenever he hit anyone with his sword the crystal," he folds up a little more, "glowed and some of his wounds closed."

He takes a moment and a few deep breaths before continuing.

"I don't think I'll be stayin' here though. I got a few favors to call in with some friends so if you want some help, you'll have to hire me. I like that you ain't killin' me but I need some way to make a living now. Hell, check the Deneith enclave if you want to find me, got no choice but to be a merc now"

[OOC: unless anyone wants to do anything else with Brunt, I'll move the story ahead by 8 oclock tonight.]
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zalivane

Zalivane looks very bored.

Accented Elven:"What makes you think I was going to terminate him?"

"I punched him to the ground. I thought it a suitably dramatic exit."
    "I don't care enough to kill him. Really, now. I never said what I would do one way or another."

"...though I would like to point out..."

Zalivane stops what he was saying halfway through his sentence.

21. - Top - End - #171

With weapons leveled at him, Brunt does not move at all as you recover your rope, and he merely sits on one of the hammocks as you all move off seemingly preoccupied with his own thoughts.

The streets are still encrusted with mud but Aelton quickly takes the lead, weaving and hopping over patches of the most foul muck.

"It isn't much further, I do hope that Massie hasn't become impatient with us. She's a very nice woman but you need some time to get to know her."

You only walk another block to the east before you notice a blocky shape in the distance that after a moment you realize is the skycoach that Aelton was talking about. Normally, skycoaches are sleek devices made from soarwood and with speed in mind, this however seems to be a miniature passenger compartment taken straight from an Orien train car. It's about twelve feet long, and has a glass bubble on the front of the car that has a large leather chair and a glowing pedastle inside of it.

As you near it you see a human woman smoking a cigar and leaning against the side of the box. She's wearing a long leather coat over a faded red doublet and gray pants. From the light of the cigar you can see that her hair is done up in a tight ponytail underneath a wide hat, and she has a patch over her left eye that has a gear on it which spins as you watch.

"Took you long enough prof.," she takes out a dagger and cuts the burning part from the cigar before putting what's left into her cloak, "The name's Massie, and this is Cinderblock, the best lump of metal you'll ever see in the air that isn't falling," she slaps the side of the coach and a door slides open, revealing a well-lit interior, "Alright get in and..." she stops and peers at the lot of you, "Soverign Host, please tell me that you all aren't going to the upper city with all that muck and blood all over you, and with a bloody insect to boot!" she jumps into the coach and after a couple of banging sounds returns outside with a few folded towels which she throws at you.

"Here, clean yourself up inside, and try not to get the seats dirty."

She walks around to the back of the coach and slaps part of it, causing a large compartment to jut out of the bottom of the coach. The compartment is a about two feet deep, five wide and

"Alright, toss the thing in there, then give the box a slap and it'll retract itself. It's nice and cozy in there so it'll be fine."

Without waiting for any of you to reply she pulls herself into the cab and moves up into the cockpit from there. Aelton follows her into Cinderblock and takes a seat, beginning to wipe the muck from his feet on one of the towels.

"Don't worry everyone, Massie's strict but fair. And a brilliant artificer to boot!"

The pilot responds with a loud snort from the cockpit.

[OOC: Handle Animal check from Zalivane to get the scorpion into the box, if you want]
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zalivane

"Oh, uh... my sincerest apologies, Miss Massie. Please, forgive my unkempt appearance."
    "Thank you for allowing me to bring my companion along with me."

(d20)[13]+4 Handle Animal
    "Come along, Pex."

Zalivane, clearly somewhat smitten by Massie, tries his absolute best to look dignified. He stands up straight, makes futile efforts to clean his gear, and sheathes his weapons.

"Please do not sting me, Pex..."

"You are an artificer? How is... how is that treating you?"

23. - Top - End - #173

Arturo

Approaching the Sky-coach, Arturo perks up at the sight of it. "Finally, I can take a seat!" he exclaims, gleefully wiping the muck off of his boots. Finishing up and tossing the towel in the hatch, he ends up in a pose that, mixed with his attire, makes him look like a swashbuckling pirate more than ever. Except he clearly pays careful attention to hygiene.

Eyeing the pilot up and down, Arturo's mouth distorts into a careful smile. "If you need any help up there, Arturo Haus knows how the ladies like it." he says, his eyes following her behind as she walks around to the front.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174

Fierna

ah, much apreciated, thanks. Fierna takes the towel gladly, she had done her best to stay clean during the fight, but there's always some blood stains when you need to resort to a blunt-but easier to handle- weapon.

Give me some of those items we found, hopefully, i'll be able to detect something of them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Arcana.- (1d20+10)[4](14);(1d20+10)[15](25) to attempt to identify items.

Inner Circle

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by radikalskippy
    But I must say the Izzet bunch are as crazy as a rabid goat with a rat biting its tail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon_Called View Post
    *ahem* *picks up megaphone*
    Attention everyone! Mal absolutly rocks!

Mal, I name you Fangirlfreind. Whenever you are in aid, call and we shall answer.
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...alpromteal.png

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Mortimus

He wips off his shoes before entering the cart, but keeps the towel, putting it across his wounds to help clot the bleeding. At least the clean side.

26. - Top - End - #176

Garome

Garome takes the towel with a frown. "Stijve halzen," he mumbles, spitting on the ground. "No resepct for earth." The halfling does a half-hearted wipe at the mud on his boots before marching into the coach.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zalivane

Zalivane appears to be gritting his teeth tightly. His fingers twitch and writhe as he sits.

He calms slightly.

"Garome, what do you mean? I do not understand."

28. - Top - End - #178

Garome

"They lift themselves as far from Eberron as possible," Garome replies. "They no longer see the schoonheid of sweat and dirt. They call the things of the earth 'grime' and 'filth'. Things to keep from their presence." The halfling waves a hand dismissively at Zalivane, and settles down grumpily into seat, folding his arms and frowning.

29. - Top - End - #179

It takes Zalivane a half-minute but he manages to coax Pex into the compartment. At first the scorpion balks at getting into the strange space, but when it feels warm air rise up from it Pex climbs in and settles down to bask.

Massie herself is in her low to mid-thirties, and has a very fit frame. Her hair is a deep auburn and her skin a light tan, the only feature that stands out is the edge of what looks like a scar poking out from her strange eyepatch.

She laughs a little as Zalivane tries to coax Pex into the compartment while plaintively asking the scorpion not to sting him, but when he gets into the coach she gives the drow an odd look at his question of how her vocation is treating her.

"Fine enough..." her mouth curves into a smirk, "how's carting around that insect treating you?"

Arturo however, gets a full smile.

"Well, I'm glad to hear that," she touches the pedestal and a soft hum resounds through the carriage as a soft orange glow surrounds Massie, "Cinderblock says she hasn't had a good tumble in decades."

The seat beneath Arturo shifts in a decidedly unwelcome manner.

Seeing that everyone has cleaned off and is in Cinderblock, Massie puts both hands on the pedestal in front of her and the glow around her intensifies.

"All right it'll only take a ten minutes, give or take a few, until we hit the professor's apartment so settle back."

Cinderblock's carriage resounds with a soft hum and after a short jerk it sails into the air.

"I don't know about natural," she calls back to Garome, "Seeing how I spent my whole life in this city, but think about this. That was a tavern district, you ever wonder how they get rid of their slop and clean out the outhouses? It all gets tossed into the gutters, some even ending up in the streets. So, if not cleaning piss and crap off of my boots isn't following the natural way," she turns around and winks at the druid, "then I'm glad I stayed in the city."

Though Fierna can't quite tell what the wand does, she know that it has magic from the conjuration school and most likely has a healing spell stored in it. The bag of caltrops is something that she's seen before, and she is easily able to determine what they are.

The are called Jumping Caltrops for their ability to follow targets and attempt to hop underfoot of any enemies around them. By spreading the caltrops and then saying the command word, "Bounce", the caltrops are able to move around a battlefield and cripple multiple enemies.

At the start of each round if there are no targets in the caltrop's square they move 5 feet towards the closest target and then 'attack' them as per normal for caltrops. The caltrops remain activated in this way for five rounds, and then they become normal caltrops until their magic recharges at dawn the next day.

[OOC: When I get home tonight I'll move the story on to the apartment, for now you can all RP a bit if you like]
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Mortimus

Mortimus shifts around uncomrfotrably before finally asking. Can someone pull out this bloody arrow! It's bugging me! Just delicately please.