New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Ruins of Rubix (IC)

You all stand in a room, along with many other, you estimate that there are a hundred men and women in the room, and a platform in the center that a sign tells you not to go up on.
    The people talk to each other, all wondering who called them here and why, each has his own story but everyone in here seems to be either well-armed, or powerful with the arts of magic. you wonder who manage to get all these people here, after all you yourself have been blackmailed in here, who has the power to blackmail so many powerful citizens? half of them has the mark of the golden inn, this group can fight off even the noble houses if united.
    The room is large, the many pillars in it block some of the view but you all have a position near enough to see the platform, you assume something will happen there.

After watching the stage for awhile a person appears in it, and he is making it obviously an illusion by the fact there are three of him, each looking at another part of the room, all three speak to you all:
    "My name Is Taragos of house Sido, all of you have been blackmailed to come here by one way or another, it matters not, you may leave and the threats will never be made, they were only to get your attention."
    To these words you see that about two-dozen people leave the room, without hesitation.

The images wait for them to leave and then say "For these of you still here I shall say I have an offer, a job unlike anything you have ever done before. the risks are hight, but the payment is well worth, any that will survive will have more power and influence then even me."
    Some man leave again, only sixty remain.

"But not everyone fits the job, If any of you has ANY rift-based powers he must leave now, as it will be fatal to him. and I do not need agents that will die in an instant."
    Half the people leave the room. leaving you as thirty.

"For these still here, please step onto one of the portals." then you see six circles appear. "Please split into six, five-people teams so I could assess your skills, rumors alone does not satisfy me."
    People across the room step into portals, until only you and four others remain, you look at each other, figuring you form the last team, and step into the last circle.

The room around you darkens and you find yourself in an empty room, with no doors or windows, but it is well lit somehow.
    You hear the voice saying "Please stay calm, the test will begin in a few minutes."
    And then, silence. each looking at the others, wondering who will be the first to talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ruins of Rubix (IC)

Jack

Where other had been mingling aimlessly prior to the speaker's words Jack had been moving purposefully. Blackmail was nothing new to Jack, (he'd done enough of it himself at times) but the shear number of people who showed up was impressive. All of this pricked his professional curiosity on just who was behind this, which was the reason he was carefully asking questions and comparing stories. Gather Information - (1d20+14)[23]

His curiosity burning more than ever (either from his knowledge or lack thereof) he steps into the circle... and finds himself with the others in an apparently sealed room.

"Well now, this sure ain't what I was anticipate'n!" He begins to break the silence as nothing else happens for a moment. "Y' can call me Jack since it looks like we'll be stuck wit eachother for da moment. Mind tell'n me who y'all might me while we wait?"

Apparently Jack isn't a member of the cultured nobility.

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Joshua

Joshua stayed out of the meaningless conversations going on before the speakers arrival. Eyes flickering around the room, he kept an eye out for those who may have connections to house Vendata [roll0]

Now in this small room, he immediatly began looking over the walls, searching for any dangers. ([roll1]) At Jacks introduction, he briefly looks over, responding "I'm Joshua." He turns back to his search without saying any more.
    The Ishka wiki. Check it out people, it's a cool little city.

My memorial spoiler. Please give a moment of silence for those who have died.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gary Gygax.
    1938-2008

Lord Shojo
    266-407

Miko Miyazaki
    120-464

Therkla
    484-593

Thanh
    511-827

Durkon Thundershield
    001-877

4. - Top - End - #4

SolithKnightGuy

Crap, try those rolls again:
    spot (1d20+4)[13]

search (1d20+14)[17]

Spoiler
    Show
    Gary Gygax.
    1938-2008

Lord Shojo
    266-407

Miko Miyazaki
    120-464

Therkla
    484-593

Thanh
    511-827

Durkon Thundershield
    001-877

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Taragos seems to be some well known high-rank in house sido, and in the inverted tower. other then that nobody knows, or they simply don't tell you.

Joshua
    Spoiler
    Show
    There were a few vendata symbols going around, some of them even stay for the portals.
    You don't find any dangers, except that one wall is actually an illusion.

Nirshal: (Thats my friend's char name, he didn't set up an account yet.)

"Well, you can call me Nirshal the undying, and thats jest about all you need to know about me right now."
    says the well armored human, with his sword drawn out and his tower shield ready for battle, he looks at all of the rest with slight disgust.

2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

6. - Top - End - #6

SolithKnightGuy

Joshua

"Hm... More illusions..." Joshua mutters as his hand slips through the wall. Backing away again, he quickly retreaves some paper, ink and a pen out of his pack. Crouching down, he quickly scribbles "Taragos; house Sido, illus?" Returning the paper, he stands up and quickly looks over his new allies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gary Gygax.
    1938-2008

Lord Shojo
    266-407

Miko Miyazaki
    120-464

Therkla
    484-593

Thanh
    511-827

Durkon Thundershield
    001-877

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Joram Looks around at the assembled crowd. As soon as the speaker starts talking he takes out and animates his psycrystal, sitting it on his shoulder like a bizarre parody of a parrot.

My name is Joram, and I think that we are about to have some nasty friends. "Test" is always code for "Don't die cause I have something for you to do after this life threatening experience". I suggest we work on living through this.
    Hey Joram Hey Joram! lets tell all these guys about that time with those kobolds and the sphere of annihilation.
    Maybe some other time Mini Me.

He then quicken casts force screen and manifests touchsight. A neon green grid aligns over the floor briefly and then dissipates.

Spoiler
    Show
    I now "sense" everything within 60 feet Ignore darkness, Invisibility and concealment but i need line o effect
    Last edited by Roland Deschain; 2008-04-26 at 11:56 PM.
    Sig is getting out of hand, so into the spoiler box it goes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Special thanks to Fayt for the AWESOMEly complicated and cool avatar! i gave him a hypnotoad in return!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

If we hit the Bullseye Then the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...checkmate

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Joram
    Spoiler
    Show
    You sense something from behind the illusion wall joshua found

Nirshal: (he did not set up his account yet....)
    "What do we do now? should we go through that illusion wall or wait?" he asks, puzzled.

9. - Top - End - #9

SolithKnightGuy

"I can scout it out." Joshua says quietly. "But the question is, do we wait for Taragos to say go, or start looking around ourselves?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Gary Gygax.
    1938-2008

Lord Shojo
    266-407

Miko Miyazaki
    120-464

Therkla
    484-593

Thanh
    511-827

Durkon Thundershield
    001-877

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

There is a creature back there. I will destroy it unless it responds to my peaceful attempts at contact. YOU THERE BEHIND THE WALL! STAND STILL AND ANNOUNCE YOUR INTENTIONS OR DIE!

readied action:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If the creature does anything other than attempt to verbally comunicate than Joram blasts it with a 10d6 electricity missile [roll=damage]10d6[/roll] reflex save 27 [/roll]

boomwolf
    Spoiler
    Show
    since I ignore its concealment, what kind of creature is it? Its as if I can see it.
    Last edited by Roland Deschain; 2008-04-27 at 01:12 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Special thanks to Fayt for the AWESOMEly complicated and cool avatar! i gave him a hypnotoad in return!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

If we hit the Bullseye Then the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...checkmate

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack

"I guess wait'n a few moments won't hurt much, but we likely'll be head'n that way sooner than later anyway. Personally, I'd say that looks ta be test one right there! I'd reckon we'd want'a pass it, just as soon as Joram here sees what's on da far side. True da voice implied da tests aren't yet started, but dallying too long could be a big 'ol mistake." Jack begins just as Joram states his ultimatum. "Reckon that works too..."

He runs a hand through his brown hair, and then briefly glows emerald as he manifests inertial armor on himself. Joram's advice might be a good idea.
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2008-04-27 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Ninjed!

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Rovinel

Hovering above the crowd, Rovinel stiffens slightly when Taragos steps onto the stage. He quickly descends into the crowd, and tries to find out what this damned arcanist is up to. Even in his previous dealings with Sido, Rovinel always tried to minimize his contact with mages.

Gather Information - (1d20+16)[19]

Rovinel stays throughout the lecture, hoping to get some hint as the what in the nine hells is going on. When the images summon the portals, he eyes them suspiciously, trying to deduce their function.

Spellcraft - (1d20+16)[21]

His reluctance leaves him around with only four other people, who appear to be heading into the portal. He gives them a quick overveiw as they step through, trying to see if there are any "old friends" he might say hi to.

[roll=Spot (to see if they're arcanists)]1d20+13[/roll]

Rovinel sighs under his breath and zips through the portal, seeing no alternative. Once inside the darkness, he immediately whips out his daggers and flickers out of sight, cursing the untrustworthy mage. He waits as the others introduce themselves, and doesn't recognize any of them. You can call me Rovinel. The voice, tiny but hard, comes from slightly above, then to the left, as he flies about. He starts to say more, before cutting off when this Joram speaks of another creature behind them. With that he flies up 10' and prepares to attack whatever monstrosity that cursed Sido Wizard summoned.

* post roll count doesn't match database

13. - Top - End - #13

SolithKnightGuy

Joshua

Joshua sighs as Joram makes his yell. "That may be unnecessary. Whomever is on the other side may not be able to respond. Let me check it out before we get hostile"

He draws his sword and raises his hands up in front of him. After a moment of concentration, he begins fading away into a fine mist. He begins moving even before he disappears entirely.

Unless anyone interupts, using 1 ki point to turn ethereal. Will then hop up to the wall and peek through. He'll pull back again before the effect wears off.
    "listen" - (1d20+4)[13]
    "spot" - (1d20+4)[23]

Spoiler
    Show
    Gary Gygax.
    1938-2008

Lord Shojo
    266-407

Miko Miyazaki
    120-464

Therkla
    484-593

Thanh
    511-827

Durkon Thundershield
    001-877

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Rovinel
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everbody else is wondering about it too.

The images are triple casting of a very talented Programmed Image.

Your "friends" does not look arcane.

Joshua
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seems to be a gnoll. you can't spot any weapons.

The figure behind the wall makes a growly noise.

Roland-There is not an illusion ON the creature, there is one in front of him, blocking your view as if a real wall was there, so you can't see it even though you know it's there.

15. - Top - End - #15

SolithKnightGuy

Joshua

Joshua fades back into view by the rest of the group, saying "It seems to simply be a gnoll. I didn't see any weapons on it though."

Spoiler
    Show
    Gary Gygax.
    1938-2008

Lord Shojo
    266-407

Miko Miyazaki
    120-464

Therkla
    484-593

Thanh
    511-827

Durkon Thundershield
    001-877

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

ok everybody wait. Its just a gnoll. Maybe the test is not to kill it. lets just sit and wait for it to make its move.

readied action:
    Spoiler
    Show
    adjust readied action to fire the same bolt if the target takes any hostile action towards a party member.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

You wait for a few moments, yet there is no response on the gnoll's side.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

(Hi yoash, got my accout now

got the avatar I asked ready?

Right, now into character.)

"Should go through that wall or what?"

I look at the people, as I swing my sword around to show I want to see some blood, and I don't care who's.
    Last edited by hexbox; 2008-04-28 at 08:07 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Thats...a very stupid name you picked yourself shir...and its not done yet...

Anyway, any of you guys plans on DOING something?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

((Sorry for lack of posts. Exam ate yesterday morning, severe lag ate yesterday afternoon, and a forum shut-down ate yesterday evening, by my time zone at least))

Jack

Jack looks from one ally to another. Great, I'm locked in a small room with a big restless guy with a very sharp sword, a power crazed manifester who wants to fry first, ask later, and... two others.

"Shoot, if this wasn't de test dey likely would've done started sometin by now. We got ourselves a lovely 'ol fake wall an a greeter on de far side." Jack suddenly says as the silence stretches thin. "Ya may well go on though ta say hello. We'll be follow'n right behind... right gang?"

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

SolithKnightGuy

Welcome to the playground hexbox. Please leave your sanity by the door, you won't need it here.

Joshua

Joshua sighs yet again. "Very well. If one of you wishes to move through the wall, I'll provide support." He re-sheaths his sword and pulls out a small crossbow. "But I don't want to jump needlessly into a battle."

Spoiler
    Show
    Gary Gygax.
    1938-2008

Lord Shojo
    266-407

Miko Miyazaki
    120-464

Therkla
    484-593

Thanh
    511-827

Durkon Thundershield
    001-877

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Rovinel

"Something tells me that the man looking for blood ought to be the first one through. I know I don't want to face whatever that sadistic bastard has to greet us."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

"Right i will" i say and prepare for combat in case necessary and i walk through the wall to our "friendly" gnoll (You really need to be more original on your NPC's BTW, i dont think you ever did a game without a bunch.)
    Last edited by hexbox; 2008-04-29 at 10:55 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

SolithKnightGuy

Joshua

Oh gods, this is not the way to avoid attention... "Very well then." He slides up right next to the wall and will wait there listening for anything indicating a struggle. "listen" - (1d20+4)[11]
    Last edited by shaddy_24; 2008-04-29 at 11:00 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gary Gygax.
    1938-2008

Lord Shojo
    266-407

Miko Miyazaki
    120-464

Therkla
    484-593

Thanh
    511-827

Durkon Thundershield
    001-877

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

The moment Nirshal goes trough the wall completely it disappears and a voice says "part one completed.", the gnoll however reacts badly and sends a mighty fist at nirshal that knocks him 20 ft. away, dealing [roll]1d6+5d4[/roll] damage, then he moves into an attack position, and waits.

Jack:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A good knowledge (the planes) check tells you that this was a voidspell of some sort.

Joram:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A good knowledge (the planes) check tells you that was a second level voidspell of the earth link.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Rerolling damage as It did not work for a reason.

27. - Top - End - #27

SolithKnightGuy

Joshua

"Blast." Joshua mutters as he sees Nirshal fly though the air. He quickly lines his crossbow up and launches a shot towards the gnoll.

Spoiler
    Show
    How far away is the gnoll? What does the room look like (I forgot to ask that earlier). I'll base my move on how far away it is.
    Last edited by shaddy_24; 2008-04-29 at 12:34 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gary Gygax.
    1938-2008

Lord Shojo
    266-407

Miko Miyazaki
    120-464

Therkla
    484-593

Thanh
    511-827

Durkon Thundershield
    001-877

28. - Top - End - #28

SolithKnightGuy

And I accidentlly hit submit, so here's the rolls:
    "attack" - (1d20+13)[28]
    [roll="crit?"]1d20+13[/roll]
    "crossbow damage" - (1d4+1)[4]
    "shock damage" - (1d6)[2]
    "sudden strike" - (5d6)[18] (not likely, but might as well roll)

* post roll count doesn't match database

Spoiler
    Show
    Gary Gygax.
    1938-2008

Lord Shojo
    266-407

Miko Miyazaki
    120-464

Therkla
    484-593

Thanh
    511-827

Durkon Thundershield
    001-877

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

WTF is wrong with the rolls today?
    [roll]1d6+5d4[/roll]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

maybe it can't read 1d6+5d4?

(1d6)[3]+(5d4)[11]

A sixth level immortal struck for 14 damage, thats pointless.
    should have made the gnoll use a better attack.

Anyway, waiting for others to take their actions.

The gnoll is 5 ft. away from the wall-gone-missing. that means that the farthest one of you is to him right now is 25 ft. away. and thats hexbox.
    Last edited by boomwolf; 2008-04-29 at 12:48 PM.