New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default I need some things cleared up.

It is clear that Jillian is talking in this episode. But I could've sworn that GK's defences turned her and the rest of her stack (that wasn't outright croaked) into stone.

Either that, or I missed something...

Also, was the last panel of this strip foreshadowing? If it isn't...then that makes the current strip make no sense. Also, regardless of it being actual or imagined, what is the theory behind the power they are using to defeat the dwagons?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: I need some things cleared up.

The first link is not that they are stoned (you would need flower-power for that), but that they are depressed and just suffered a massacare.

The second link is what Vinny wants to happen, not what will happen. (The most likely happening is painful at the hands of Stanley)
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

3. - Top - End - #3

From what I can tell, only one day has passed then since they became depressed. When did Jillian leave GK's airspace? (or did more time elapse than was shown, which I really doubt, considering the prince's plans...)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feirgon View Post
    It is clear that Jillian is talking in this episode. But I could've sworn that GK's defences turned her and the rest of her stack (that wasn't outright croaked) into stone.

Either that, or I missed something...
    That image is done in a limited color palette (and slight misregistration of the color fills and outlines) for artistic effect. It conveys the fact that it's twilight (i.e. end of Ansom's turn) and highlights the downbeat mood of the characters.

(I can't speak for Jamie, obviously, but the above seems fairly obvious to me.)

Also, was the last panel of this strip foreshadowing? If it isn't...then that makes the current strip make no sense. Also, regardless of it being actual or imagined, what is the theory behind the power they are using to defeat the dwagons?
    That panel is Vinny's mental image of how he expects his prediction that they'll "dance on [Stanley's] little square head" to play out. Apparently, he assumes that Don King is sending ten warlords in addition to hiring the Archons currently accompanying the group (which would be a force capable of easily defeating Stanley)... but it turned out that Don King sent the warlords instead of hiring the Archons (because Charlie deliberately made him an offer he couldn't accept).

From what I can tell, only one day has passed then since they became depressed. When did Jillian leave GK's airspace? (or did more time elapse than was shown, which I really doubt, considering the prince's plans...)
    After the confrontation with Wanda, presumably everybody retreated and met at the rendezvous point, as per Jillian's orders. Nothing particularly interesting happened during that time, so it was left offscreen.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-09-05 at 04:57 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    That image is done in a limited color palette (and slight misregistration of the color fills and outlines) for artistic effect. It conveys the fact that it's twilight (i.e. end of Ansom's turn) and highlights the downbeat mood of the characters.

(I can't speak for Jamie, obviously, but the above seems fairly obvious to me.)
    Ahhh! Thank you, that panel kept bugging me. I couldn't interpret it. But even with your help, one annoying insect still lives: Who's the guy on the far left? Apparently a blond dude in Earth-like street clothes. Too skinny to be Parson. Not Transylvitian. Doesn't look like any Erfian at all.

That couldn't be... Charlie? Upset at the death of Jaclyn?
    Last edited by CaptC; 2008-09-05 at 07:21 PM.
    Dibs on his dice.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CaptC View Post
    Ahhh! Thank you, that panel kept bugging me. I couldn't interpret it. But even with your help, one annoying insect still lives: Who's the guy on the far left? Apparently a blond dude in Earth-like street clothes. Too skinny to be Parson. Not Transylvitian. Doesn't look like any Erfian at all.

That couldn't be... Charlie? Upset at the death of Jaclyn?
    That's Vinny. In profile. In Dance Fighting cloths.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    If the players figure out and try to stop this from occuring, the wizard instantly crafts a HUGE mound of quarterstaves and clubs to obscure himself before teleporting out.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah, ok. Doesn't really look like Vinny to me, but then I keep seeing the hair as blond. I suppose he would be upset at Jaclyn's death, too.
    Dibs on his dice.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

You're not the only one who needed these things cleared up, and we appreciate the feedback. The best thing about the forums is that they tell us when we have failed to communicate something vital to the story.

As we prepare the book, there will be a process for fixing stuff mentioned in the "bloopers" thread, and clearing up any major points of confusion. Enough people have commented on thinking Jillian was dead, or turned to stone (because of the stylized art in the Klog) that we're simply going to have to add a new page after the air battle. It will show the remains of the air group on their retreat, arriving at the first rendezvous point with the first 12 Archons. That was the end of the Coalition turn, prior to Charlie's gambit (in which he has those 14 Archons (12 + 2) fly back to Gobwin Knob's airspace, meeting up with an additional complement of 18, which Charlie has sent in response to Parson's calculation).

I just violated the hell out of the "never explain" rule, and I am therefore a bad storyteller. But I just wanted to let you know that we're planing to clarify this, and a few other points, in the final book.
    Rob Balder, Erfworld author/co-creator, and creator of PartiallyClips

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    I just violated the hell out of the "never explain" rule, and I am therefore a bad storyteller. But I just wanted to let you know that we're planing to clarify this, and a few other points, in the final book.
    On the other hand storytellers that don't explain some unclear vital points of the story are even worse. Like what I once encountered in a game : We were supposed to escape the city through roof of an inn ... which happened to be 8 meters tall stone building right next to the 10 meters tall city walls in the area of wooden shacks of the poorest where we hid ( in the setting of 12th century city - such buildings were rare even in capitols of empires ) . We "forced" it out of our storyteller after all-party execution by City watch. Our characters apparently "overlooked" the fact that the building had been almost as tall as the walls when visiting it. Don't ask me HOW and WHY.

Thank you for all the great work to keep Erfworld really good story-wise.

( and final comment : Never say NEVER. )

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

thats an Ouch right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

It would be simpler to add a couple of tears and a balloon: Jacylin! She's-- gone!.

12. - Top - End - #12

Wow...I feel so cool for creating this thread. If only because of the awesome responses I got.

Thank you everyone so much!

(P.S. I so want an Erfworld game! I sorta imagine it to be in the same style as Advanced Wars.)

(P.P.S. That last comment was really just in case pclips read this thread again )

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

(P.S. I so want an Erfworld game! I sorta imagine it to be in the same style as Advanced Wars.)
    The closest thing I've ever seen to Erfworld is the Total War series, we should get a modding community together and create an Erfworld mod for Medieval 2.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dr pepper View Post
    It would be simpler to add a couple of tears and a balloon: Jacylin! She's-- gone!.
    Except it's a parson's klog, those dont have speech baloons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    Except it's a parson's klog, those dont have speech baloons.
    ...And while conveying the emotional statement, it would not clear up the question about how 14 Archons showed up at GK the next morning.
    Dibs on his dice.