New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default How large is Gobwin Knob?

Is it just a single hex? or is it bigger than that, and if so how many hexes is it?
    Memento mori

I see that your Wiki-Fu is strong.
    --The Chuck

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: How large is Gobwin Knob?

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    Is it just a single hex? or is it bigger than that, and if so how many hexes is it?
    Just a little more than one hex, if you consider as indication the real-life Parson's game board, where the volcano is several hexes wide, and city itself is much smaller
    Probably more that an hex, if you consider the sheer number or the Coalition army, that travels occupying several hexes, and is supposed to surround the whole city.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

There's no reason there can't be a map inset. GK can be one hex on a strategic level, and multiple hexes on the tactical level. But don't confuse things with facts. Godwin Knob is exactly as many hexes as required by the plot, and therefore currently subject to change.
    Dibs on his dice.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Within the walls, everything fits within one hex on the big board. That's why Parson finds that his garrison units can move around within GK as much as they want. No matter how many times they move from walls to tower to tunnel and back again, they've never left the hex, and so it is all still zero movement.

The hex is divided into different tactical areas, but they're all in one hex.
    Animalball Games: Every time you can has, Jesus kills a LOLcat.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CaptC View Post
    There's no reason there can't be a map inset. GK can be one hex on a strategic level, and multiple hexes on the tactical level. But don't confuse things with facts. Godwin Knob is exactly as many hexes as required by the plot, and therefore currently subject to change.
    Remember that pclips has told us that TBfGK is already scripted, so there are no surprise plot occurrences that he'll need to handle. Since he already knows it all, the maps etc. are likely fixed. The only question is when things get revealed to us.
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

GK is rather big, but from what I infer from the klogs cities work as a single move unit, but with several engagement zones. Another example of the simple rules in Erfworld?
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CaptC View Post
    As others, I disagree with this. GK is not The Order of the Stick.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

As others, I disagree with this. GK is not The Order of the Stick
    Wait....what?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy9000 View Post
    Wait....what?
    It's almost official that Order of the Stick author follows the Rule of Plot, and nothing (from the material is he's referring to, to the rules of physics) is more important than the plot or the delivery of the punchline. As Mr. Burlew doesn't abuse too much of this "power", it's usually a good effect working.
    On the other hand, Erfworld seems to have a "mechanical" engine that is structured and respected by the authors. I say "seems" because we have only 120 pages, and even if didn't see any breaking of enunciated rules, could be just to early.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

I suppose that it would have been prudent to know the size of a hex efore I asked my question. Not size as in feet or miles, but rather size as in how many units it can hold.
    Memento mori

I see that your Wiki-Fu is strong.
    --The Chuck

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy9000 View Post
    Wait....what?
    Exactly what Laurentio said. I can remember FAQ of the author of the Order of the Stick saying for example that the characters move "at the speed of plot" between cities and countries.

I was trying to keep my opinion about this appart. But I cannot deny that I am fan of Erfworld. I am also gamemastering role-playing games for more than 20 years, this has probably some influence on my way to see the subject "inner world consistency".
    Last edited by MoredanKantose; 2008-09-12 at 03:48 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

I suppose that it would have been prudent to know the size of a hex efore I asked my question. Not size as in feet or miles, but rather size as in how many units it can hold.
    Uhm... orientatively, a mounted gwiffon, quite a fast flier, can move 52 hexes from dawn to twilight, no stop; a man 8 hexes. So my really-not-informated quest is 9 kilometers for each hex, top. This would make a gwiffon fly at like 40 km/hour.
    Other forum users deduced 2 kilometers by other ways.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

There's pretty clearly a mini-game being played in the tunnels. Not all stacks have leaders, and thus there must be multiple hexes or battle areas.

Until this last strip, that wasn't clear. Now the apparent size of the tunnels has grown from "maybe only one hex" to "clearly more than one hex".

A slow reveal has the same effect as plotting on the fly, to the outsider viewer. Hence my previous reply, and I still stand by it. The size of Gobwin Knob will change as required by the plot. I applaud the author's for figuring it all out in advance, but from my viewpoint, they can just be making it up. I'm happy either way, as long as it all holds together consistently.
    Dibs on his dice.