New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default jack sane again?

I don't know about you, but to me he seemed to be fairly aware of the situation in the most recent comic. While yeah, he did talk in shakespear, the shakespear was relevent to the situation, followed up with his question for orders.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: jack sane again?

I wholeheartedly beleive that jack is Back, but desires to keep his sanity couched in confidence, smothered in solipsis.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by krossbow View Post
    I don't know about you, but to me he seemed to be fairly aware of the situation in the most recent comic. While yeah, he did talk in shakespear, the shakespear was relevent to the situation, followed up with his question for orders.
    The one asking for orders was one of those Gobwins that went with the group, I think. That guy's on a different Dwagon from Stanley.
    "Come play in the darkness with me."
    Thanks for the avatar, banjo1985!

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

"The medium... is the mess.", basically means his mind is altogether but his speech isn't yet.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The Tool, if not cool, is starting look less, like a drooling fool. Like he might just be, worthy of his Rule. (Of this rhyming, how far will it spool?)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

Worthy of rule? No.
    Worthy of being a warlord? Yes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Is it just me, or did Jack being sane again seem to be purely stalling for time until Stanley's group hit the choke point --- and was spotted by Jillian? Mind you, I still have no clue how loyalty factors work here, but in the perspective of a RTS game, Jack didn't seem very loyal to Stanley; In a Koei game's perspective, Jack seemed to have a dismally low loyalty score, and he looked ready to defect the moment someone nudged him...
    Last edited by Cybaster; 2008-09-16 at 09:12 PM.
    : "My name is Miko...Miko Miyazaki, a**hole."

Rest in peace, Miko. Power to you for not becoming a Blackguard.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cybaster View Post
    Is it just me, or did Jack being sane again seem to be purely stalling for time until Stanley's group hit the choke point --- and was spotted by Jillian? Mind you, I still have no clue how loyalty factors work here, but in the perspective of a RTS game, Jack didn't seem very loyal to Stanley; In a Koei game's perspective, Jack seemed to have a dismally low loyalty score, and he looked ready to defect the moment someone nudged him...
    Well, it's an established fact that captured units have notoriously low loyalty, so that would fit.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Jack is sane, but there in lies the problem: Jack is sane. Stanley destroyed everything he knew and loved, and he's going to jump at the chance to get revenge. Jack is betraying Stanley right now, and things are going to get hairy when he sees Jillian.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Are we sure that's Jack and not Vincent? Coincidence?

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Butters_I View Post
    Jack is sane, but there in lies the problem: Jack is sane. Stanley destroyed everything he knew and loved, and he's going to jump at the chance to get revenge. Jack is betraying Stanley right now, and things are going to get hairy when he sees Jillian.
    I think saying that "Jack" is betraying Stanley might be jumping to conclusions. I mean, it was never his idea to go to Faq, and Jillian clearly made her guess without anyone's help, so I'm not even sure how exactly the foolamancer would have tipped the balance anyhow. But at the moment, for as much as we know about him, it's just as likely that the guy is loyal to Stanley as it is that he worships a golden turkey sandwich.

I have a suspicion that "Jack" is only a nickname (like he's the jack of all trades or something), or short for his real name (Jacob, for instance), and so the spell is only partially broken. He can think, but he cannot communicate he thoughts. Thus, he cannot suggest orders to The Tool. Couple this with Parson being barred from speaking to Tool, and you've pretty much got a massive internal communication blackout.

Stanley has only himself to thank.
    Last edited by Yodimus; 2008-09-16 at 11:47 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Jack is completely sane, and is both smarter and quicker on the uptake than I am. He's using the wierd speech patterns (assuming he CAN speak right) to fake stanley into thinking he's still nonfunctional, then he's foisting the illusion off on his own stack to get them to attack the wrong direction. Look at the last panel, where stanley charges? What is that behind him? I'll betcha it ain't dwagons.

Oh, "The medium is the mess" is a pun off of "the medium is the message." Probably not shakespeare, but I'm sure we've heard it all before.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

in panel two of 122, (page 110) Jack reminds me heavily of Jack Nicholson. Jack Nicholson of course was the star in "One who flew over the cuckoo's Nest" and the Joker in "Batman" seems to fit with "foolamancer"

also anyone else notice that in panel 10 the Zammussels/Translavito forces were in front of the Dwagons, and in panel 11, the Zammussels/Translavito forces were in behind the Dwagons? Perhaps Jack did something? or it it just a representation that they are surrounded?
    Last edited by bdh5533; 2008-09-17 at 01:17 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Look again. Panel 10 and 11 are merely the front and back view of the same shot, indicating that The Tool and his knights are surrounded. A glance in the background of panel 9 confirms this. Stanley is actually making a good call here (though I doubt he would have ordered anything else, considering his incapacity for lateral thinking)

So no, Jack has not done anything yet. Not that we can see, anyways.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

http://www.cartoonistusa.com/Colin%2...0Nicholson.jpg

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0122.html

i think there is some similarity here :)

also i agree it seems they are surrounded, but i guess i'm a bit confused about how they came to be surrounded on their movement turn, on a choke point, when the enemy had no veil?

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Izad View Post
    Oh, "The medium is the mess" is a pun off of "the medium is the message." Probably not shakespeare, but I'm sure we've heard it all before.
    Oh my god, I just remembered why that's familiar.
    That's right: because it's a Marshall McLuhan quote.

"Marshall McLuhaaaaaan!
    You're such a groovy thinkerrrr
    And we really dig what you say cuz
    You got the best
    Insights into maass mediaaaaa...
    This side o' the Rio Graaaaaaaaaande!"

Now there's a man, right there.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

It should be noted that there are more units in those two frames than there actually are, thus it would seem Jack may have a hand in it. As for him defecting I don't think so, personally I think Jack is helping.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

I going to say this played straight, that Jack is sane now but unable to speak properly and still loyal to Stanley. He probably hasn't actually done anything yet, but will probably play a critical part in the battle, probably saving Stanley's life somehow. The group in front includes peeps and Jillian and the group behind are all vampires, so I don't think either is an illusion.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I don't think that Vinny is going to make his 3-casker appointent with Vinnie

20. - Top - End - #20

RangerGuy

I'll have to admit, i'd dislike it if the foolamancer betrayed stanley; this last comic was the first one to actually make me like the guy.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Jack is sane.
    The problem is, is that I suspect he has decided to betray Stanley.
    Stanley ordering him to forge the link was shrewd, but ruthless.
    It resulted in Misty's death, which Jack might well have felt directly.
    Wanda might well also have been a mitigating influence on him earlier... but she went... well... belly up for a while, and he had no one to turn to.

I think that as a 'captured' unit, his loyalty was low to begin with, but to top it all off, seeing the dangers that his paramour Jillian was exposed to, with orders to transmit CROAK orders against her, might well have contributed to his 'snappage'.
    I am sooooo looing forward to seeing how he might react to seeing Jillian now...

22. - Top - End - #22

To clarify your speculation – you believe Jack has been sane from the beginning.

I add this caveat because it's the only way that thread of speculation has any merit. If you take for granted that Jack was insane prior to Parson saying his name, and believe that Jack somehow chose to be disloyal directly after 'waking up', then all you've got to go on is vague expressions and minute details about where people are pointing. You may as well be speculating that Jack is a vegetable in disguise at that point.

And honestly, having it turn out that Jack has been faking it the whole time would actually be kind of a cool plot twist. It would explain why, even though Parson had perfectly accurate info on Jack's name, Jack failed to be fixed.

Of course, it's just as likely that there's more to it than naming someone. After all, erfworlders have taken other important details for granted before when explaining things to Parson.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Yodimus View Post
    To clarify your speculation – you believe Jack has been sane from the beginning.

I add this caveat because it's the only way that thread of speculation has any merit. If you take for granted that Jack was insane prior to Parson saying his name, and believe that Jack somehow chose to be disloyal directly after 'waking up', then all you've got to go on is vague expressions and minute details about where people are pointing. You may as well be speculating that Jack is a vegetable in disguise at that point.

And honestly, having it turn out that Jack has been faking it the whole time would actually be kind of a cool plot twist. It would explain why, even though Parson had perfectly accurate info on Jack's name, Jack failed to be fixed.

Of course, it's just as likely that there's more to it than naming someone. After all, erfworlders have taken other important details for granted before when explaining things to Parson.

You might be right.
    Tell me how you would see the encounter between himself and Jillian going, as he 'had a crush on me', according to Jillian.
    Speculate both ways - if he is sane, or if he is insane...

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Richbin View Post
    Tell me how you would see the encounter between himself and Jillian going, as he 'had a crush on me', according to Jillian
    Really poorly, or way too well. ;)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe seeing Jillian will remind him of his previous life and snap him out of his... condition???

26. - Top - End - #26

I don't know if Jack is betraying Stanley. He seems genuinely shocked when he sees the ambush.

This may change if and when he sees Jillian, but as far as he knows, they are being ambushed by vampires, or unknown enemies. Why would he betray Stanley and get croaked in the process?