New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Fate of Kas'arrata

Grishak/Kanris

'Keep these metal pieces?' How do people this dumb generate the brain power to breathe, let alone survive? Arrrrrrrrghhhhhh!

You fail to see, brother. These are but more pawns in our game. Use them, they will do your bidding. After all, you are the 'Grand Vizier'....

Still want me to kill everyone, Solut?

Perhaps I was ... a bit hasty. But now, I have grown to enjoy the thought of .... minions. As long as we keep from running into a seer or other that could see through our deception.

Agreed.

The small figure takes one step forward into slightly better light and throws back his hood. "As my friend Harkaitz mentioned, I am Grand Vizier Kanris, advisor and confidant to His Majesty Prince Jervain. Forgive our caution, but having seen sights as we have and learned what we know, one cannot be too careful. I believe the Mage's Guild to be much safer than any inn. You can be as safe there as anywhere in the city." The goblin gives them both a toothy grin.

"I destroyed the vampire," gesturing to the pile of equipment and dust left by the murderer of the Merchant's Guild leadership - they should be able to recognize what is left of his equipment - "but he was wounded before we found him. Perhaps, just to ease my caution a bit more, could you describe the nature of his injuries? As you say, you attacked him and tracked him here, so it should be no problem.

Spoiler
    Show

There is still an aiming dot on both of their foreheads for the disintegrate ray. (readied action in case of attack) Just because I am saying nice words does not mean I trust them.
    Touchsight still active
    Energy Retort (Fire) active
    Force Screen active
    One psionic focus available
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vampire Ninja Death Squirrel by Jacklu
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    Frankly, we're a bunch of nerds here, and we like to argue.
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger
    Grishak, Blue Psion Nomad
    Otheym, Warforged Ashworm Dragoon

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Barham
    You hear the priestess groan loudly, then respond in a raspy voice. Hadrim? Who's Hadrim? I want to know who or what a Hadrim is. Also, find their assassin, you called him "Chorus" I believe. I want to know where he is and why the squad I sent to the barges hasn't returned.

Ka Yahn
    Your exploration of the ship is rather uneventful, as there is not too much to find. There are stores of food and fresh water and bunks for the sailors. Otherwise the ship seems rather poorly supplied. It would appear that this particular vessel is a transport, not a warship, made more obvious by a quick scan of the fleet, revealing at there are ships of the size and shape of the one you ride in, and ships that are larger and have ballistas and small catapults on deck. There are hatches along the side that appear to fold up for some sort of weaponry, probably magister's cannons.

Spoiler
    Show
    In world note: I don't like gunpowder in my games-- just my thing-- however in some instances you need something synonymous for a cannon. That's especially true for a warship. I mean, catapults and Ballistas work but for long-ranged weapons and deck guns respectively, but for inter-ship warfare and heavy coastal bombardment, you just need a cannon. Magister's Cannons are pretty much really expensive 50 charge per day use long range staves that conjure and fire much larger Orbs of various elements. Firing them requires they be mounted and operated by 3 people making UMD checks (a typical ship's crew is mostly experts and rogues, with swashbucklers/fighters in small numbers to help should the ship be boarded, and maybe a bard or a cleric) and they can fire off a huge sized orb once every 1d4 minutes at about 500 foot distance with pretty decent aim. I know standard cannons go about 300 but A) these aren't firing a metal ball and B) it's magic. They could hit the castle, the temple, or something sizable pretty easily, but they aren't going to look through their spyglass and go "PCs! FIRE!" and hit you with a big honkin' fire orb. While not necessarily something your characters are experts (or even all that well versed on) I figured my best bet was to lay the cards on the table before someone goes "wtf fireball cannons? DM = noob" or something
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Barham

"Right you are, miss. This'll be a few minutes." Barham lets his mind lapse back into the room

Spoiler
    Show
    It's unlikely, but here's a Lore check to see if Barham has heard of the Hadrim: (1d20+13)[23]

Divination, asking "Who is the Hadrim?" and "where is Chorus?" That will probably be followed up with another Divination asking "What happened to the squad sent to kill Chorus" and... something else, depending on what Barham gets on the Hadrim.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #274
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ursa the Halfling

Holding out her clawed hands and bearing her bear-snout and teeth, Ursa says, "As you can see, I have been taught the secrets of nature. I asked for the spirit of the great bear to aid me. I am certain the claw marks were larger than these for I had grown to a size even bigger than the warrior here." She motions to Meovai. "What told me my foe was blood seeker was my bite. My jaws had taken a viscious bite that would have severed a living's man riverway for blood. None spurted from the tube; it was like a dried root system. Then the beast of darkness vanished in a cloud like the mist over the great water and flew this way."

ooc: I am going to assume that this is what happened. If it is different - Ursa will describe what really happened.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keishara Embermist in A World Bound Together
    Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Bree Yark in Barrowmaze Grp 2
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Ka Yahn

The demon frowns at the lack of anything to do at all on the ship, and thus just finds a place for meditation as he waits for something- anything- to do, contemplating the mysteries and power of Pale Night.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Barham
    Spoiler
    Show
    I decided to go a little excessive here to speed things along, since I know what questions you'll be asking next. Chock it up to the enhanced divination of the chamber

The Hadrim are an ancient Flock of Raptorians who once dwelled in the city of Corpus Hartus, now known as Kas'arrata.
    The vampire Chorus has been slain. His remains are on the barge in which he made his nest.
    The Squad sent after Chorus succeeded in weakening the vampire, and then retreated to allow the Ruby Knights to assist them to prevent Jasite blood being spilled. They never returned to the temple to requisition this assistance. Their current whereabouts are shielded from divination.

Ka Yahn
    Your meditations are suddenly interrupted by Gurb, who looms over you with a grave and serious expression. They want to speak with us. Bring your wits. The halfling shakes his head and turns, hobbling back towards the council chambers you emerged from earlier in the day.

Ursa, Meovai, Harkaitz, Grishak
    The distant and faint sound of the bell tower reminds you of your interest in General Hobart's meeting. You still have an hour or so, but the time approaches.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Ka Yahn

The demon pulls himself to his feet, following Gurb as he gathers his thoughts and pulls up the mask he has been using, presenting himself as polite, slower to trust, and thoughtful.

8. - Top - End - #278

Meovai

Hearing the bells, Meovai has no choice but to attempt to leave and make it to his meeting. If that satisfies you, gentlemen, I am afraid I actually have somewhere to be in an hour, so I will take my leave. I thank you again for dispatching the vampire. He begins moving slowly, so as to not appear threatening, towards the door. Quietly, as he is leaving, Ursa, you can come with me or I'll meet up with you at the inn later. Leave word for me there if you plan to stay somewhere else.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Barham

Barham relays his findings to the priestess more or less accurately. "Can't say what happened to your squad, miss; they wounded Chorus and fell back to ask for assistance, then somethin' happened that's hiding them from me. Chorus is dead and gone now, though."

"The Hadrim are a flock of bird-folk, lived in this city before it was called Kas'arrata."
    He awaits her next questions, content to let the person who knew more about the city direct his efforts for now.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Ka Yahn
    Gurb leads you back into the cabin where the Raptorians had adjourned. They are still standing around the outskirts and the same chair remains, which Gurb sits in quietly. After a few moments, the Raptorian Chieftain, Sellon, reemerges from wherever he had been to speak to you. The time has come, Master Gable and Dhomus Haru, to make your true intentions known. By decision of the council of elders, at the behest of the War Chief, this flock shall invade the city now called Kas'arrata. Your choices are to either remain with this flock and aid in this effort, or be set aside someplace safe where you will not be harmed in battle, most likely upon a small island nearby. The Hadrim Warpath is a long one, and as such you will have until dawn to make your decision. Once you have chosen, there is no recourse. You are either a soldier or a civilian. Choose. With that, Sellon turns to walk out of the room.

Barham
    You hear the scoffing of the old priestess in the darkness. She sounds displeased A flock of wha?. She sounds confused and generally dismayed. That damn wizard has been fiddling with my seer's chamber again! Her voice is loud and forceful, and it sounds as if she might break something in her rage. However, after a moment her anger seems to subside and there is a chilling silence, broken only by her voice. Unless you are lying to me, that is. No, I mustn't jump to that conclusion yet. There is more to be asked... Ask the fates when it shall be that war next descends on this city?

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Barham

"I only say what I see, ma'am. Not my fault if the future is strange." Barham lapses back into a trance, asking when Kas'arrata will next experience war, and who its enemies will be, which seems at least as important, to him. He needed to give the priestess something to occupy her time, before she decided he wasn't worth keeping alive. Suppose when you're a priestess of death, death is a natural method to use. Don't like it, though.

12. - Top - End - #282

Grishak/Kanris

As I suspected, these do-gooders were not the only ones to attack the vampire. Those wounds were there, but he had also been attacked after they did. Someone did not want him to talk it would appear.

Agreed. We can use that to our advantage perhaps.

<common>"I believe you, friends. I thank you for your assistance, unwitting though it may have been, in dispatching this fell beast." He bows to each Ursa and the goliath, a friendly smile upon his hideous face. The sounds of bells fill the air, and the goliath makes his move to go. "May I ask where you are headed, friend - and what may I call you? As the elf may attest, I am very new to this fair city, and would learn more of it. And you, friend halfling - Ursa - you do not seem to be from here. May I ask what brings you here to this fair city? I came to do some research, but may have some time to learn from the city and from yourselves. We -" gesturing to Harkaitz and himself "- are scholars of the highest order. We yearn for nothing more than knowledge."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Ka Yahn

Ka Yahn turns towards Gurb/Gable/Mr. SilverTonguedGimp and looks him in the eyes.
    "I plan to fight with the Hadrim, but my presence here is much tied to yours. If you choose to stay behind, I think I will have little choice but to follow suit. I doubt, however, that is your plan... so, shall we go announce our intentions?"

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Barham
    The veils of fate cannot say when war will next approach, except that if it is not by the next full moon, it shall not come to pass for years on end. Though not certain, the Hadrim, the Mage's Guild, and the Army of the Arch are all possible invaders of this city.

Ka Yahn
    Gurb nods at you and smirks. Good thing I packed my war-crutch. He then motions for you to go, not intending to follow. Go let'm know that we're in, Dhomus. They will accept you if you tell them you're acting as my mouth.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Ka Yahn

The demon frowns, but nods to Gurb.
    "Very well then..."
    He turns and moves off to find the Chieftain.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2008-10-06 at 12:14 PM.

16. - Top - End - #286

Quote Originally Posted by Meat Shield View Post
    Grishak/Kanris
    "May I ask where you are headed, friend - and what may I call you? ..."
    Meovai

Oh, of course. My name is Meovai and I have an appointment with General Hobart in roughly an hour and I do not wish to be late.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #287
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Harkaitz

*Hobart... he's headed into the arms of the enemy. It would be a shame to lose a potential ally such as this one... But wait, perhaps I could learn something of the General from him...*

"You're meeting with General Hobart, you say?"
    Harkaitz asks, "Are you a friend of the General's, then? I've never had the pleasure of meeting him. What is he like?"
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

18. - Top - End - #288

Meovai

I don't know the man personally. I'd heard that he was interviewing candidates to guard the king. I've been searching for a location to found a martial arts school, but so far have not found a suitable location I can afford. I thought that the favor of the king would aid me in my search. Have you heard anything of this Hobart that may help me impress him?
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #289

BlueWizardGirl

Harkaitz

"I have heard only that he is strong and the king he guards is weak. This city's ruler is in sore need of dependable bodyguards, yes... but the danger to such bodyguards will be great, and even a man as strong as you might not be enough to safeguard the king through the chaos which is to come. Are you sure you want to put yourself in the line of fire like that?"
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Barham

"The war will come by the next full moon or not at all, and it might come from the Hadrim, the Mage's Guild, or the Army of the Arch." He pauses, trying to remember if he's heard of an Army of the Arch. "It sounds like your city's got more than its fair share of enemies."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (geography or local) +12, Lore +13

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Ka Yahn
    You enter the make-shift council chamber of the Hadrim elite, which is now empty save for a single Raptorian sitting quietly and reading a prayerbook. He looks up to you, seeming mildly surprised by your visit, and asks in a clear voice, Can I help you sir?

Barham
    You hear Groenig choke on her breath, followed by the sound of stamping feet. The Mage's Guild?! I've heard enough! This...This is it! If those book reading fools want a war, Harpilla Groenig will give them a war! There is a long silenced, followed by the bright light from outside the room peaking in. You see the figure of the knight-captain, Harlowe, standing over you as your eyes struggle to focus in the light. I see you made it through your first session, most can't say that.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Ka Yahn

A single raptorian. With a prayerbook. Bah, not anyone worth his time. He needed to see the chieftain, or at least someone of more obvious importance.
    "I am looking for Chieftain Sellon. He wished to know the decision Brother Gable and I had made about our places in the war."

23. - Top - End - #293

Grishak/Kanris

A suggestion, friend.......

Perfect, Solut!

"This General Hobart seeks people to protect his King, hmmm? Harkaitz, perhaps we should visit this General as well. I for one would like to repay this city for allowing me to perform my research. Besides, our work is not finished yet, correct Harkaitz? We must continue to hunt our foe."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Barham Leight

"Would have maybe been good," Barham says, struggling to his feet, "to know that beforehand." He has an idea what happened to the others. This, he reflects, is why he doesn't like dancing with the powerful. They have heavy feet, and they don't care to watch their step. Man could get stepped on easy.

At least the Knight-Captain's friendliness has lasted more than the few minutes he would have expected a sham to last; he has no illusions that Harlowe would do anything to defend him from the priestess, but he might at least put in a good word. "Do we get breakfast now?"

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Ka Yahn
    The young Raptorian looks up at you for a moment and smirks, returning his eyes to his prayer book. I'm Gilihar, Sellon's mouth. People like Gable and Sellon very rarely meet for little things like this. Tell me what you'd tell him, and I will relay the message.

Meovai, Grishak, Harkaitz, Ursa, John, Paul, George, and Ringo
    You finally decide that you're all going to go see General Hogart. You leave the barge and traverse the waters (either magically or by a swim) and are quite surprised to see a rather exhausted looking young woman waiting for you on the other side. She appears rather suddenly, staring the four of you down like errant children. Master Harkaitz, I've been looking for you. She says in the familiar tone of a scolding mother. It is obvious to Harkaitz that this is Miss Chase, but the rest of you don't recognize her. However her sudden appearance (Ursa will have smelled her perfume before seeing her, but not quickly enough) and demanding posture seems to require at least passing acknowledgment.

Barham
    Harlowe smiles at you warmly, patting you on the back and leading you out of the room. My word is my bond, Leight, let's get you fed. The High Priestess has gone so far as to allow you to leave the temple for a spell-- so long as I accompany you, that is. I happen to know a delightful little tavern near the docks that-- He stops short, cocking his head. Wait, no. That's the one we picked you up from. It's still really rather destroyed inside isn't it? Also the wiggly little scamp who ran it up and disappeared. He pauses for a moment, then smacks you on the back. Do me a favor Leight, stay right here while I get my coinpurse. Don't wander off, or we'll both get in a bit of trouble. With that, Harlowe wanders off down a pathway, seemingly in good spirits. You can't help but notice the difference between the stoic slayer of men you first met and the seemingly personable man you speak with now. You might even find his attitude akin to your own in ways, that of a man raised by good simple folk.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Ka Yahn

Interesting... maybe he had a bit more importance than it seemed. Ka Yahn frowns thoughtfully, then smiles slightly and decides to tug at the situation a little, wondering how the raptorian would respond.
    "I believe you put a little too much emphasis on those who are not present... I do not know your situation, but I come here on behalf of myself as much as Brother Gable's. I was expecting to come here with Brother Gable, to be honest, but it seemed he didn't want to over exert himself... so out of convenience, I brought his message for him."

27. - Top - End - #297

BlueWizardGirl

Harkaitz

"Yes, Miss Chase?" Harkaitz replies smoothly, betraying none of his suspicion that the woman may have put into action her traitorous schemes, "What does the Guild require of me?"
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #298

PirateCaptain

Ursa and Brun

Ursa watches and listens intently to conversations inside and without. It is common for her people to wait such as this. Strange, she thinks to herself, when asked twice by me, the one called Meovai would not give me a name. However, when this one requests it - he answers. I best keep quiet and continue to observe. When the group heads outside, she releases Brun of his command so that blood is not shed by him. Then, she has has the bear join her on the swim back to the warf.

With the sudden appearance of Miss Chase, Ursa keeps Brun calm and listens and waits.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keishara Embermist in A World Bound Together
    Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Bree Yark in Barrowmaze Grp 2
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Ka Yahn
    The Raptorian smirks a bit, barely looking up from his book. My duty today is to serve as Sellon's mouth, and if I do that duty with competence and respect, one day I'll have a mouth of my own. He looks up for a moment, seeming rather puzzled by you. Alright then, what message do you bring from yourself and Brother Gable? He speaks with a low chuckle.

Harkaitz, et al
    Miss Chase seems horribly distraught but something, and reaches to grab you by the hand. Everything! The Guild requires everything of you. There's no time, I'll explain on the way. With that she raises a hand to teleport you both back to the Mage's guild, but pauses a moment, noticing your companions (and giving you a chance to speak).

30. - Top - End - #300

Grishak/Kanris

I don't like the idea of going back to the Mage's Guild, especially not with one like that hawk of a female.

Agreed. To many chances to see through our guise.

Send a message for me then please, Solut....

Once again, the odd not-quite-Kanris voice appears in Harkaitz's head. "I will meet you later in the library, Harkaitz. See if you can find more about our foe. I will do the same from the palace and this General Hobart. Remember, your discretion is appreciated in this manner - the fewer that know of me the better."

And then aloud, "Good day, Harkaitz. Please, do not let us delay you." To the halfling and the goliath, "Come, friends, we must not be late," as he shuffles off toward the center of town.

Once the trio (plus bear) are out of earshot and around a corner, 'Kanris' speaks in a low voice, "I apologize for the brusqueness of our exit, but my mission here is secret. Having mages around other than Harkaitz would put to many risks in place to where my true identity may be revealed. I wish Harkaitz had not told you my true identity, but what is done is done. Were my true identity revealed, there would likely be people hurt. Can I trust you to not betray my confidence?" The goblin looks at both of you with heartfelt expectation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger