New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast

Thread: Goblins

1. - Top - End - #691
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by Graymayre View Post
    This is how I know it isn't Goblinslayer's crossbow.
    [/discussion]

On another note, I believe that Kin was bluffing. Unless Brassmoon city has some cheap, magical item creation, infrastructure; it would be obscenely expensive to equip so many soldiers with magical weapons.
    I guess it's totally impossible that Goblin Slayer might have lent random mook 47 (too lazy to bother looking up his name, if any) assigned to guard a yuan-ti a weapon above random mook's normal equipment list. Especially one assigned to guard such a valuable captive. [/sarcasm]
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

2. - Top - End - #692
    Troll in the Playground

Default Not to mention "Me, sir? I mean, sure, we discussed it at length earlier, but ME?"

Right, but read the previous comic. He just seems to hand it randomly to him. "Here, you take it," doesn't imply that he premeditated it and gave the guy his own personal crossbow earlier on so he could be an effective guard.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2009-02-25 at 10:48 PM.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing HalfOrc View Post
    I guess it's totally impossible that Goblin Slayer might have lent random mook 47 (too lazy to bother looking up his name, if any) assigned to guard a yuan-ti a weapon above random mook's normal equipment list. Especially one assigned to guard such a valuable captive. [/sarcasm]
    True, but why? GS seemed to think of him as worthless anyway, and it seemed his only job was to hold onto the leesh...
    Bombastic founder of the "That guy with a Halberd" Fanclub
    Wanna see this guy return? Click here for more information
    Check out my Spaceatar by Geiger Counter here
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    I am laughing my head off and applauding your tactic genius all at the same time. Bravo, good sir...
    FighterITP : Silver

4. - Top - End - #694
    Ogre in the Playground

DGS uses a longbow, not a crossbow. He wasn't carrying a crossbow when he took Kin to the top of the wall, and in fact has NEVER carried a weapon that we've seen but instead grows them from his wooden hand.

What's wrong with "The yuan-ti is bluffing" as a nice, easy answer to this?
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

5. - Top - End - #695
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

(too lazy to bother looking up his name, if any)
    His name was Tayshun.

"That's no moon, it's a mace, Tayshun."
    Two by two, hands of blue.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    DGS uses a longbow, not a crossbow. He wasn't carrying a crossbow when he took Kin to the top of the wall, and in fact has NEVER carried a weapon that we've seen but instead grows them from his wooden hand.

What's wrong with "The yuan-ti is bluffing" as a nice, easy answer to this?
    I don't have a problem with Kin bluffing... I have a problem with "It's this, and NOT that. Are you stupid, or what?" attitude I received. Maybe it's the internet. Hard to read emotional overtones sometimes.

Goblin Slayer may prefer to use a magic long bow grown from his own wooden body, but nothing prevents him from owning weapons he may not normally use, and assigning them out as needed. Tayshun (thanks, Hands of Blue!) looked pretty skittish from the beginning, and while "I" would have assigned someone more stable to the job, GS might have felt that the upgraded weapon might be all Tayshun needed to settle down.

Maybe it's just my monitor, but the tip of the bolt seemed to have a bit of a glow about it. That's why I was willing to take Kin's word for it when she said the bolt was enchanted. But either way, it's a point blank shot vs. a 15' run for a spear. Kind of gives her a situational bonus to her bluff check, don't you think?

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't have a problem with Kin bluffing... I have a problem with "It's this, and NOT that. Are you stupid, or what?" attitude I received. Maybe it's the internet. Hard to read emotional overtones sometimes.
    Me too. I have trouble getting tone in text messages from close friends, sometimes. I like having cues to work with, y'know?

Goblin Slayer may prefer to use a magic long bow grown from his own wooden body, but nothing prevents him from owning weapons he may not normally use, and assigning them out as needed. Tayshun (thanks, Hands of Blue!) looked pretty skittish from the beginning, and while "I" would have assigned someone more stable to the job, GS might have felt that the upgraded weapon might be all Tayshun needed to settle down.
    It was that, or take him into the fight. DGS was more worried about personal survival that Kin staying caught. Or at least, that's what he said when he handed over the leash.

Maybe it's just my monitor, but the tip of the bolt seemed to have a bit of a glow about it. That's why I was willing to take Kin's word for it when she said the bolt was enchanted. But either way, it's a point blank shot vs. a 15' run for a spear. Kind of gives her a situational bonus to her bluff check, don't you think?
    Nope, it does look sorta glowy. I was attributing that to the back-lighting though, not to magic, because there's no color to it like normal for an IME. 'Course, that could be her color.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Ettin in the Playground

GS also seemed convinced that Kin wouldn't be able to get the guy to drop the lead, which is probably why he left someone who he saw as useless to hold it.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #699
    Ogre in the Playground

So the update is supposed to be today.

Does anybody know what time zone Thunt is in? Not that I'm anxious or anything, but... um... well, yeah.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've been watching him on and off at his video feed... All work and no comics makes Jack a dull boy...He is sooooooo.... close.
    Last edited by Graymayre; 2009-03-03 at 08:17 PM.
    Bombastic founder of the "That guy with a Halberd" Fanclub
    Wanna see this guy return? Click here for more information
    Check out my Spaceatar by Geiger Counter here
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    I am laughing my head off and applauding your tactic genius all at the same time. Bravo, good sir...
    FighterITP : Silver

11. - Top - End - #701
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

New one is up, guys.

Am I sensing some of the Sexual Tension between Kin and Chief?

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

12. - Top - End - #702
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think sexual tension is quite the right word. I'm curious about how much back-up the guards will be able to get considering how many of the other "Elite" guards have been killed or are in a life-or-death fight at the minute. In fact, how many people are under GS's command? Considering how someone else is apparently captain of the official city guards, there seems to be a lot of people in GS's private army.
    Last edited by Tempest Fennac; 2009-03-04 at 03:27 AM.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #703
    Ogre in the Playground

So the update is supposed to be today.

Does anybody know what time zone Thunt is in? Not that I'm anxious or anything, but... um... well, yeah.
    Thunt is in British Columbia, so the West Coast.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Ogre in the Playground

It's updated now.

Odd, I never noticed before that Kin only has three fingers... Or rather two fingers, and a thumb.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    New one is up, guys.

Am I sensing some of the Sexual Tension between Kin and Chief?
    Where are you getting this? I'm curious....

16. - Top - End - #706
    Banned

Where are you getting this? I'm curious....
    I think it's cultural conditioning. Ever since "Moonlighting" and "Cheers", when we see a male character meet any reasonably attractive female and the first thing they do is bicker, we're trained to expect that there will be romance following. Oh, and When Harry Met Sally ,too.

sure there are lots of precednts before those (Much Ado About Nothing springs to mind), but it seems those first mentioned bits of pop culture really stamped it in.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JonestheSpy View Post
    I think it's cultural conditioning. Ever since "Moonlighting" and "Cheers", when we see a male character meet any reasonably attractive female and the first thing they do is bicker, we're trained to expect that there will be romance following. Oh, and When Harry Met Sally ,too.

sure there are lots of precednts before those (Much Ado About Nothing springs to mind), but it seems those first mentioned bits of pop culture really stamped it in.
    This is especially true in the midst of an action sequence.

Don't get me wrong, this is a very meta analysis. Just sayin. It's even number 98 in the evil overlord's list.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

18. - Top - End - #708
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

That's also a staple of British media, as far as I've seen.

The last line of this train of thought will be included in my next post.
    No it won't.
    Last edited by Turcano; 2009-03-05 at 03:36 AM.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    This is especially true in the midst of an action sequence.

Don't get me wrong, this is a very meta analysis. Just sayin. It's even number 98 in the evil overlord's list.
    That list is seriously outdated. I love the bit about padding important data files so they're just big enough not to fit on a MF2HD floppy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Odd, I never noticed before that Kin only has three fingers... Or rather two fingers, and a thumb.
    Must... avoid... easy joke... about what... you were noticing...
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2009-03-05 at 04:04 PM.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

21. - Top - End - #711

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    That list is seriously outdated. I love the bit about padding important data files so they're just big enough not to fit on a MF2HD floppy.
    But these Evil Overloads reside in Fictionopolis, where the technology level of storage and input devices is inversely proportional to the graphics. In Fictionopolis, it would be normal to backup your files to cassette using a 3D holographic interface controlled with an Atari 2600 joystick.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh man, Moonlighting. Does that ever take me back!

23. - Top - End - #713
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmerged View Post
    Must... avoid... easy joke... about what... you were noticing...
    Kin's not as bad as Drowbabe.
    Two by two, hands of blue.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Ogre in the Playground

Good, action-y update. No plot advancement, but plenty of violent pretty eye-candy. I like!

The drider confused me for a bit. The soldiers sounded like we ought to know wtf they were talking about; I had to search a bit to find the drider in the background of a couple panels.
    Last edited by Occasional Sage; 2009-03-11 at 11:53 PM. Reason: drider

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ettin in the Playground

I guess the Suggestion could have been worded better (even if the Drider doesn't care about the other prisoners, they are still worth keeping around for no other reason then the fact that they would take heat off the Drider).
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #716
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    I guess the Suggestion could have been worded better (even if the Drider doesn't care about the other prisoners, they are still worth keeping around for no other reason then the fact that they would take heat off the Drider).
    Well, it needs to be something the dwarf would do, or it's not going to work.
    At the very least, the dwarf is losing a few turns going to his next target, during which he's not attacking anyone. And seeing the amount of humans around the drider, and considering the fact that driders can apparently cast cleric magic and therefore he might be the only shot the goblins have to get healed... Yeah, it's better if the drider stays alive.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Ettin in the Playground

Those are good points which I'd forgotten about. The fact that he can still use spells suggests that Goblinslayer wasn't able to stop him from preparing spells, which is a good thing if there were other casters in the dungeon
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #718
    Titan in the Playground

I love Thunt's resply to the people complaining about his updates taking too long.

As for the Drider... "The humans will most likely win this battle without your help, dwarf. Go drink until you can't see straight." probably would've worked fine.

Still, I'm willing to bet the dwarf picked his next target poorly...

29. - Top - End - #719
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    I love Thunt's resply to the people complaining about his updates taking too long.
    Actually, I found that unprofessional to say the least.
    I can comprehend why he did it, but I don't understand it.

Anyway, the real update is what matters, and I've got to say that while I like the drider, I really don't want to know what happens to him or the dwarf next, not even if they will have any relevance after this fight.
    I mean, this update is still cool, but I don't want to see the Brassmoon City battle go on much longer.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2009-03-12 at 11:51 AM.

30. - Top - End - #720

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Not me. It's involving all his readers into this piece of internet drama rather than just those who whine on his forums. He should have posted those blank panels in a thread there instead. Like Johnny said, putting it on the front page is unprofessional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!