New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1478

Thread: Goblins

1. - Top - End - #1051
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    I find it ironic that Drow are seen as monsters by GS considering how the Drizzt clones appeared to see Goblins as just being monsters who are there for the sake of helping adventurers to level up.
    Well, it may be because Goblinslayer is, ya know, the most radical man in the radical land, and therefore is most radically considering much more races as monsters, than other peple, who ain't as radical as GS ;-)

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Ettin in the Playground

You could be right. I just expected that Herbert was more tollerant towards Drow due to 3 of the PCs in one of his games using them (unless other cities are more tollerant, which could be the case; I'd probably expect them to have similar views on "monster races" based on GS's reputation, assuming he's half as legendry as he claims to be, which could be taken as evidence that it's only Brassmoon which sees him as a hero rather then a sadistic lunatic).
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Troll in the Playground

"Hello for hi". Love that line.

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't get why you were talking about drows... But do you mean the orc girl?

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Ettin in the Playground

I thought the 1-eyes demale character who wanted the human thrown off the wall was a Drow Elf? She looks like one to me.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Titan in the Playground

I think she's an orc. She has a flat nose and no pointy ears. It would also fit the fact that drow are treated as "cool" bad guys rather than as monsters like goblins and orcs.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Maglubiyet works in mysterious ways, I guess.

Kin is starting to kind of annoy me. I liked her at first when she just tended to overthink the things she said, but this thesaurus-speak doesn't really do anything good.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

8. - Top - End - #1058

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Kin is starting to kind of annoy me. I liked her at first when she just tended to overthink the things she said, but this thesaurus-speak doesn't really do anything good.
    does better.
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

9. - Top - End - #1059

Quote Originally Posted by petersohn View Post
    does better.
    He doesn't thesaurus-speak at all, he just speaks in a precise and well thought out manner. Kin did this at first too, and it was kind of interesting; it wasn't using big fancy words, she was speaking from the point of view of a person who understands things analytically rather than intuitively, which worked rather well. In many ways I thought it was pulled off better than V. But, now, I dunno, it's disappointing.

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    I think she's an orc. She has a flat nose and no pointy ears. It would also fit the fact that drow are treated as "cool" bad guys rather than as monsters like goblins and orcs.
    More importantly, Orclops has a substantially lighter skin tone than the Three Drizzitzes, and fangs. They're hard to see, but if you look close they're visible in the 8th panel. Definitely an orc.

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Maglubiyet works in mysterious ways, I guess.

Well, Kin did say that the more nervous she gets, the more she tends to overspeak. To judge from how much she's been babbling these past two pages, before the rescue party showed up she was close to panic.

12. - Top - End - #1062

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Well, Kin did say that the more nervous she gets, the more she tends to overspeak. To judge from how much she's been babbling these past two pages, before the rescue party showed up she was close to panic.
    Besides the fact that it doesn't really come off that way, thesaurus-speak is annoying on many levels however you justify it.

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Dwarf in the Playground

Don't quite understand why you're complaining so much about the "thesaurus speak" myself. Unless you're just looking for something to complain about, which is reasonable.

I'd say the only phraseology that really seems forced with it is the choice of the word assail most recently, but that might just be because I'm used to seeing it used differently.
    I had a witty quote, but it was too long, so you get this instead.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Ettin in the Playground

Say... Anybody mention the possibility that the hobgoblin on this page is the same one that mercy-killed the owlbear?

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Troll in the Playground

Only about a week ago, when we saw him in the vote-preview and Thunt basically confirmed it was him.

16. - Top - End - #1066

Quote Originally Posted by High-Chancellor View Post
    Don't quite understand why you're complaining so much about the "thesaurus speak" myself. Unless you're just looking for something to complain about, which is reasonable.

I'd say the only phraseology that really seems forced with it is the choice of the word assail most recently, but that might just be because I'm used to seeing it used differently.
    I never "look for" things to complain about. If I'm reading and something irritates me then I bring it up. I kept quiet about this for awhile, but it eventually got to the point where I felt like saying something. I might not have said anything at all, but she was so endeared to me at first, and now I just find her kind of annoying.

It wasn't as bad in the most recent update, but mostly because Kin said less. I don't know about forced, but it is clunky. The sentences don't flow very well and the phrasing is painful. It's also a cheap and easy way to try and make a character "sound smart" which takes very little effort and looks sloppy. Plus, almost no smart people talk like that, so it really doesn't go very far in accomplishing its intended goal anyways. Except in special circumstances it's just a bad technique.

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Ogre in the Playground

I see what averagejoe is saying.

V speaks in a very natural, if overly formal way. Kin however, sounds like someone wrote her speech with "normal" words, then looked up synonyms for them and used the bigger words. It doesn't sound natural, and seems to be written by someone who doesn't understand the words that she's using.

It /is/ annoying to read, even when you understand all the words she's using, and it does make her character annoying. But it's possible that when she's nervous, she's not very coherent, and that the effect is meant on purpose.

Or, you know, thunt is trying but it doesn't come to him as naturally as it does for the Giant. Dialogue has never been his strong point, and dialogue for such a character would be even harder.

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    It /is/ annoying to read
    More than annoying, it's hurtful.

Like a sickness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

19. - Top - End - #1069

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    I see what averagejoe is saying.

V speaks in a very natural, if overly formal way. Kin however, sounds like someone wrote her speech with "normal" words, then looked up synonyms for them and used the bigger words. It doesn't sound natural, and seems to be written by someone who doesn't understand the words that she's using.

It /is/ annoying to read, even when you understand all the words she's using, and it does make her character annoying. But it's possible that when she's nervous, she's not very coherent, and that the effect is meant on purpose.

Or, you know, thunt is trying but it doesn't come to him as naturally as it does for the Giant. Dialogue has never been his strong point, and dialogue for such a character would be even harder.
    More or less. I mean, don't get me wrong, this exchange was brilliant. It establishes her analytic way of thinking by showing that she thinks of social interactions on a rational level instead of an intuitive one, as well as being somewhat funny. "Exponentially redundant vocabulary," is kind of weird but it was otherwise fine. That's part of my point-this is something that one can do much more effectively using relatively common words.

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Troll in the Playground

I thought the whole point was exactly what Lissou said -- she only starts blabbering with 5-dollar words when she's nervous, right? Instead of strenuous moments making her LOSE some sense of volcabulary ("Aaaaah! People! Bad people! Outside! Crap crap crap help!") the semi-reverse happens. Her volcabulary becomes 'exponentially redundant', but she's just as incoherent.

On a purely objective level, devoid of context... yeah, it is annoying to read. But I think it suits her and makes sense, is all.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2009-06-09 at 09:28 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    That's how I took it, too. And remember, we're not talking about a human or elven adventurer here. Yuan-ti have their own language. I suspect they don't get to practice their common as often as a regular PC race person. Maybe the longer words are easier for them to remember. So when Kin gets nervous, it just comes out in a common-is-not-my-native-language kind of way. I think it works ok whether it was intentional or not.

I may be biased, though, because I really like her.
    Done here. Thanks, friends.

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Firbolg in the Playground

It still bereaves like an affliction, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Troll in the Playground

Kin has been Goblinslayer's pet for a while and can be expected to have high or very high intelligence. Even if she wasn't raised bilingual, she should know Common quite well - if anything, she shouldn't know the big words she's using.

I don't really mind it that much, though, it's just somewhat overdone in the last two pages.
    I mean, "unobstruct"?

24. - Top - End - #1074

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    That's how I took it, too. And remember, we're not talking about a human or elven adventurer here. Yuan-ti have their own language. I suspect they don't get to practice their common as often as a regular PC race person. Maybe the longer words are easier for them to remember. So when Kin gets nervous, it just comes out in a common-is-not-my-native-language kind of way. I think it works ok whether it was intentional or not.
    But they don't come off in a common-is-not-my-language sort of way, they come out in a I-am-trying-hard-to-sound-more-intelligent-than-I-am sort of way.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    I may be biased, though, because I really like her.
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing.

25. - Top - End - #1075

It's not so much that Kin is using fancy words, but the fact that she uses words in a way that looks forced.

"Those Guards are going to assail!"... Who speaks like that?

The funny thing is that I know people in real life who do the same thing, and its just as annoying, if not more.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Webox View Post
    "Those Guards are going to assail!"... Who speaks like that?
    A snake-person with a forked tongue.

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Pixie in the Playground

When I wrote Kin, I wanted her to have a personality quirk in which her way of speaking would become more ridiculous, the more frightened or nervous she became. The dialogue is meant to sound unnatural and to become more unnatural as time piles more stress onto her. In other words, an exponentially redundant vocabulary.

If her dialogue was natural and flowing, then her claim of a redundant vocabulary would have been a big, fat lie. Of course nobody says "unobstruct", technically that one isn't even a word ("unobstructed" is in the dictionary, but not "unobstruct").

I was going for the opposite of those poorly portrayed dumb dialogues. No intelligent people say "Those guards are going to assail", just like dumb people don't actually say "Me smash you good!". Both sentences are technically correct and can be understood, but no one would use those words like that.

However, I didn't count on it being annoying to read.

"Or, you know, thunt is trying but it doesn't come to him as naturally as it does for the Giant. Dialogue has never been his strong point, and dialogue for such a character would be even harder."

Seriously, Avi?
    Last edited by Stillthunt; 2009-06-09 at 10:57 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1078

Fair enough. However, while I can see that, and it did occur to me that this might be the case, I felt that the purpose of the text was too ambiguous to be sure. Perhaps it's just because it's something that I see writers do a lot in order to portray smart people, but I wasn't sure how well thought out or intentional it was.

Anyways, I do hope that my general good opinion of the comic is well established. Despite the fact that I can be found, on occasion, posting in the Dominic Deegan thread, I do not, in general, look for things to complain about. There are just certain writing conventions that I have strong opinions on.

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Orc in the Playground

Question Re: Goblins

Out of curiosity, about the "Over the top vocabulary", how would people feel about such a thing used as a sign that a character is basically feigning intelligence? Just a question that struck me while reading this.

I have to say that I'm enjoying the climax of the Brassmoon City arc greatly. It seems to be moving a bit choppy-fast, but that's due to how much stuff that Thunt has to juggle here, while updating at speed.

I especially like what was done with Thaco, forcing GS to see him almost as an equal (in a way, its own victory against the bigoted freak), though I'm hoping for at least a little bit more from him before he dies, if he does.
    Click the spoiler tag for a link to my forums!
    Spoiler
    Show

Please visit my forums! We've got a great community and a lot of excellent free form RPing!

Thanks to DrKarling for the awesome avatar!

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't have a problem with the way Kin talks. I think it might be a little off though based on how she looks. Back here when she really starts going off she's most definitely nervous. In the latest page she looks more angry or annoyed. Or at least for the first two panels she does. Maybe that's why her needlessly advanced vocabulary seems off in this one.