New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default A forum for forum games

This is in response to the running idea that a borad may need to be created for the various little games that come, in addition to items with regards to post count, having this new forum not keep/add to your count. This would also clear up the friendly banter board leaving that board open for banter and other conversations.

Everyone please post your ideas on this.
    Long time game. Usually lurker.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: A forum for forum games

It would helpful, and it would get Drizzt_Fanboy74 to clam up, so i say its a good idea!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have noticed that we don't talk on the friendal banter board, and in fact, there is no banter going on....only repetitive games that boost your post count.
    Verminaard avatar by drKarling

4. - Top - End - #4
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Roaming Gnome
    I have noticed that we don't talk on the friendal banter board, and in fact, there is no banter going on....only repetitive games that boost your post count.
    Well, some of the games are kinda clever. I personally like the 101 Ways to Annoy, and I thought the Twisted Wish game had potential, but a lot of the responses just aren't well-thought out. (I always felt that point was to trip them up on a technicality, not just say, "OK, but right afterwards you slip on a banana and die.") Heck, Rich even STARTED a Forum game way back in the day! The Bride of the TV/Movie Quote Game was one of my favorites. Basically, I think the difference between a legitimate game and a spam-o-rama is that the legitimate games involve at least a minimal amount of thought to participate in, and can result in clever and humorous things, as oppose to just providing a structured excuse to post random nonsense.

Of course, I can still see that the recent growth in games, both those I would call legitimate and the spamorama genre, is cause to seperate them from actual discussions of things like movies, music, campus life, family, or whatever else crops up for conversation among us.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Setting aside the post count issues (because I'm not going to open that can of worms again)... I like the idea of moving the message board games to their own board. Quite honesrly, Friendly Banter has been taken over by them; there's no banter going on - or if there is, it's burried under dozens of game threads.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

You know he's right... just rename Friendly Banter!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

"Ask Cherry" is one active thread in FB that isn't a forum game.
    The member of the Australian Society for the Encouragement and Propagation of Beards. - Custom avatar by Moonsinger. Technical assistance by Quasimodo.

8. - Top - End - #8
    ThreadNecromancer
    Guest in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog
    Setting aside the post count issues (because I'm not going to open that can of worms again)... I like the idea of moving the message board games to their own board. Quite honesrly, Friendly Banter has been taken over by them; there's no banter going on - or if there is, it's burried under dozens of game threads.
    That's what thread necromancy's for.

btw, does the thread in my sig count as banter or a forum game?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Banter, I would say becuase its not a "game" as the games in the banter board are... unless you start ryhming or numbering your ideas
    Verminaard avatar by drKarling

10. - Top - End - #10
    ThreadNecromancer
    Guest in the Playground

Thanks, Roamer. Now feed the zombie thread ;D

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Eight pages in four days? What a waste of time. I knew a forum that had a section for mindless games which did NOT raise one's post count.
    30 posts a day is an awful lot on a usual daily basis.

Cael.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Official Statement: YaBB does NOT provide a facility for excluding posts of any sort from a user's post count. So, this is NOT possible on this board

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

I think that there should be a seperate catagory under Banter for forum games. Organization is good.
    The unfortnate side effect might be that people who might want to rise their post count might play every forum game on the first page, which would make their post count go up even faster. Becuase you can't post nomatter what on a thread like "ask cherry" it makes raising post count slightly harder.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RawBearNYC
    Official Statement: YaBB does NOT provide a facility for excluding posts of any sort from a user's post count. So, this is NOT possible on this board
    What about pure categorization?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, that's what all the different boards are. His point is that they can't create a board for forum games that doesn't add to one's post count.

Which would be a good idea, I think, but as it's not possible, nevermind.

I support a separate board for games, but haven't put huge amounts of thought into it, so I'm not proposing anything now.

Not that it would matter if I did... :-/
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

There is, of course, the tried and true method of simply creating threads in the FB section that aren't games - Think of an interesting topic, post it, and let it loose. This is a clear D&D board - In the friendly banter section there's no real need to make it d20 specific, is there? I've seen very little RL talk going on at all, for example. Why not just be proactive and post some RL topics? If the threads are interesting, people will post, and the games should get less prominent.
    "I can't help it if I'm the biggest and the strongest. I don't even excercise." Fezzik, The Princess Bride avvy by Peregrine

17. - Top - End - #17

I think part of the problem is that people feel that it should be d20 specific -- hence the gameplay/gathered-around-the-table-play '101 ways...' games. The exception, of course, are 'Questions,' 'Free Association,' etc., and, as mentoined before, "Ask Cherry." Which, in my opinon, is an exemplary FB thread.

So I htink, once again, that another board would be great, because both d20 and totally random games (both 'Questions' and '101 ways') could go there, making people more likely to talk about Real Life (I think it's weird to have a forum abbreviation for Real Life).

I may not be at all clear here, but... well, if I'm not, say so, and I'll give it another go.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Isn't the games forum for d20 only stuff?
    An all-purpose board for discussions of RPG's and other games. If you're looking to join a game, post in the Play forum.
    So shouldn't the 101 ways to annoy a wizard be posted in the games forum?
    People seem to have it set in their minds that the games forum is for serious discussion of d20 games. While the friendly banter forum is for joking around.
    With that in mind. It might be benifical to have one forum for serious discussion of d20ish stuff, another for joking around, and a third for more serious "ask cherry"ish discussion.

19. - Top - End - #19

That is basically what I had intended to say above, only with reasons/an explanation of my thought process.

Whichever it was, it didn't help -- just made things longer and more confusing. *Sigh.* WHich I'm used to.

Anyway, I applaud you for being so succint.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE