New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Wizard's Tower [IC]

A Strange, Booming Voice: "Through fate or through pure accident, five of you have coincidentally ended up outside of this specific, Wizard's Tower. Perhaps he has slighted you. Two of you for sure are here for the loot. Greedy aren't we all? Perhaps you seek revenge or justice. Two of you are here for that. One of you doesn't really know why he's here, other than the fact that he ended up here a week ago. Good luck in testing this tower. It may be the last you ever test." The voice cackles and then cuts off and you are once again... alone before the massive doors of the Wizard's Tower. They are shut and barred.

The way is shut.
    It was made by those who are Magical.
    And the Magic preserves it.
    Until the time comes.
    The way is shut.

Do you enter? Or do you just sit around until you grow old and die? Actually, I'll let you guys decide that.
    Last edited by Neftren; 2008-09-29 at 06:55 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Wizard's Tower [IC]

Jorgan gazes up at the door, pondering the mystical message. He spares a brief eye for the others; he doesn't know them, and they seem a motley crew, but if they could help... Still, he finds his tongue a little tight, and rather than introduce himself right away, he looks back at the mighty doors with a dwarf's critical eye for craftsmanship, and prods his brain for information. Mystical protection was a certainty, but perhaps something in his studies would make it less mysterious...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Leif

Leif stands behind the big people, looking very, very nervous. His friends had gone in there a week ago and as much as we wanted to believe they were safe, his instincts told him otherwise. Maybe if he had gone with them they would have been safe... He closed his eyes, reciting the tenets of Kord, trying to bolster his spirit.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Carnelis

Pursing his lips, Carnelis strides up towards the gate as the voice finishes speaking. Though he makes no move to touch it, he peers upwards and glares, almost seeming to will it open without a word. The unusually broad-shouldered eladrin grunts with disapproval, and then whirls to face the others. "I will not fall at the first hurdle. Which of you has command of magics? Which of you can help me?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacob

Jacob eyed the gate passively, then inspected his companions. His eyes raked over the dwarf, hobbit, gnome, and eladrin scathingly and searchingly. When he was finally satisfied with his inventory of those around him, he readied his shield and approached the door.

"No use standing around all day, eh? Unlike you folks, I won't live to eleventy-hundred years."

Prepared for anything, or so he thinks, Jacob plants one sabaton firmly on the ground, and raises the other to kick in the door.
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2008-09-30 at 03:05 PM.
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lordsmoothe View Post
    Jacob

Jacob eyed the gate passively, then inspected his companions. His eyes raked over the dwarf, hobbit, gnome, and eladrin scathingly and searchingly. When he was finally satisfied with his inventory of those around him, he readied his shield and approached the door.

"No use standing around all day, eh? Unlike you folks, I won't live to eleventy-hundred years."

Prepared for anything, or so he thinks, Jacob plants one sabaton firmly on the ground, and raises the other to kick in the door.
    Unfortunately, Jacob becomes unbalanced and falls over backwards in misshapen heap of armor.

The Strange Booming Voice: "Nice try with the kick. You'd think that being a wizard's tower you would need to use a wizard's magic to open the door. Just a thought." The booming voice cackles again and becomes silent once more. He must be viewing this with some sort of demented enjoyment of the spectacle.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacob

Jacob picks himself and brushes himself off. Adjusting his armor so until he's comfortable again, he looks around at the rest of the group, one eyebrow arched challengingly.

"Well what're y'all looking at then? Din't look like any o' you had a better idea."

Stalking back to join the group, he glowers, then decides to prod at the gnome with his foot.

"Well, how 'bout it, aren't you little folk s'posed to be good at this... messin' with people 'n sniggerin' at 'em stuff?"
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2008-10-02 at 12:27 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Carnelis

Carnelis glares upwards and then around, staring for the source of the voice. "He has the nerve to taunt us? To sit up there in his tower and taunt us? Hmph."

Turning his back on the others standing nearby, Carnelis examines the gate closely, racking his brain for any similar situations he may have overcome, or given up at, in the past. He also turns his attention to the rest of the tower, looking specifically for windows and climbable surfaces.

Spoiler
    Show
    Here's a check for useful info for the gate.
    [roll="Dungeoneering"]1d20+6[/roll]

Whoops. Think I screwed up the roll. Since I don't want to double-post, feel free to do it for me if it's useful. +6 Dungeoneering.

Glancing back once again, Carnelis draws his longsword, beginning to look annoyed. "Well, unless any of you know what these glyphs mean, I think there's only one thing to do."

Turning back to the door, he knocks with his free hand. "Why are you cowering up there? Are you scared of us!? If you're so superior, why not prove it! What's the point of having this grand tower if you never let anyone see what's inside it! You never know, we might be impressed, and then you can boast more."
    Last edited by LemonAndLime; 2008-10-08 at 07:16 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Jorgan

"I think it's some kinda puzzle 'e wants us to try solve," Jorgan grumbles. "Y'know, so's he can feel all superior watchin' us struggle over it."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LemonAndLime View Post
    Glancing back once again, Carnelis draws his longsword, beginning to look annoyed. "Well, unless any of you know what these glyphs mean, I think there's only one thing to do."

Turning back to the door, he knocks with his free hand. "Why are you cowering up there? Are you scared of us!? If you're so superior, why not prove it! What's the point of having this grand tower if you never let anyone see what's inside it! You never know, we might be impressed, and then you can boast more."
    The Booming Voice: "Well that'd totally defeat the purpose of the tower, no? Lets see if you can open these doors on your own. If you cannot do even that, then you won't be able to get past the first floor. You're on the right track. Perhaps your friends may hold the solution."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Carnelis

Carnelis heaves a sigh. "Riddles. Bloody riddles. The door will be closed until the time comes. Until what time comes? I bet this is just the sort of annoying mage who will play some stupid word game.

Does anyone have any thyme? The herb?"

12. - Top - End - #12

Jorgan

"Friends may hold..."
    he sighs, blowing out his long moustaches. "Anyone got a clock?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacob

Jacob sighs and rolls his head from side to side, causing a series of popping sounds around his neck. Hands on his belt, he sweeps his gaze scathingly at the door, then his companions.

"So, what, we going to go to town and get a grab-bag of things to start throwing at the door now?"
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2008-10-19 at 09:50 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd try brainstorming a bit. I will give you a hint and say that Lordsmoothe was close with what he tried to do. However, you probably won't get much farther than the door without your party members.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Carnelis

"Are the glyphs in any sort of pattern you can make out? Maybe if we all touch the door in different places at once..."

Carnelis takes a step closer, warily touching the tip of his longsword to the door.