New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: [4E] Dragonlance - Dragons of Autumn

"Alright, Kelwyn. I will follow behind you." Barok says to the older knight in a whisper. He quickly double checks to be sure that his medallion is around his neck and the mace is at his side. As for everything else, he is fairly sure that it is still there, but these items were by far the most important.

After he is sure that everything is where it is supposed to be, Barok notices everything suddenly grow darker. Looking up towards the sky, he watches as the clouds obscure the light of the two moons. "At least this will make things a little bit easier for us." He says to the rest of the group.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jorim

Jorim waits for Sir Kelwyn to take the lead then takes up a rear guard position for the unit, keeping a sharp out behind them for danger and obscuring their tracks as well as he can.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Sneak for the slick Bugbear avatar!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Dlanor

Dlanor stops moving and gestures for the kendar to do the same. "This seems like a good place to await the others," he whispers. "Then we can decide in which direction we will head." He remains vigilant, with his bow at the ready.
    My other characters/games:

D&D 4E: Sarsath, Dragonborn Sorceror -- Dungeon Crawl REDUX

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Johanai
    Johanai follows the group, looking impatient.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Barok
    "Quickly now, we must hurry to catch up to Dlanor and Wikka. If we go too slow we risk getting caught by the guards." Barok says quietly to the group. With the he tries to nudge Kelwyn to move slightly faster attempting to increase the pace.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

You continue on the way, staying mostly out of sight of the few townsfolk that are still out. You've made it about halfway to the edge of town.

DM Roll: (1d100+20)[21]

EDIT: Well, well... that makes things interesting...
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-11-21 at 10:05 PM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

7. - Top - End - #127

BlackDragon

Kelwyn

Kelwyn moved deliberately forward, trying to find a balance between speed and caution as he leads the group away from the Inn and out of Solace. Inwardly he berated himself for his inability to stop the Fewmaster from escaping. If he had only managed to prevent that, then this venture might not be as dangerous for all involved. It was proof that he truly didn't deserve his title and rank.

Shaking his head, the grizzled knight clamped down on his doubts and brought his focus back to the matter at hand. His friends would need him to be at his best, and the Gods themselves needed him to be able to put aside his pride and fear in order to perform the task assigned to him. With troubled thoughts and a worried look on his face, Kelwyn trudged forward into the night.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception, to keep a watch out for threats on the road: (1d20+8)[2](10)

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Kelwyn's Perception check doesn't really help all that much, and neither side in the upcoming post really has "surprise" or anything.

As the groups come close to meeting back up at the edge of town, a sudden bustle of activity comes from the nearby road into town. As you try to duck out of sight, a man calls out to you - "You there - show yourselves! There's no reason to be out at night, especially with such dangerous heathens about!"

You see a group of several men, all but one dressed in the haphazard regalia of Solace's militia men (the villagers who, in times of need, can be called up to defend the town). One, though, is dressed in gold-trimmed blue robes, gaudy jewelry, and the other aristocratic apparel of a Seeker theocrat. He seems slightly disheveled and perhaps a bit tipsy, as if the guards have perhaps sought him out while he was a bit indisposed. "Guardsh!" he calls, "Get those folksh *hiccup* and take 'em in for questioning while *hiccup* I go see what'sh happening at *hiccup* the Inn." The others acknowledge him with nods and a "Yes, High Theocrat."

As he speeds off with several of the guards, the others array themselves before you and yell at you to come quietly with them back to the holding station. They don't seem to notice the half-elf and kender in the undergrowth a short distance away.

Spoiler
    Show
    The guards, three with maces and two with halberds, don't immediately attack, but instead hold their actions to wait and see if you're going to cooperate with them.

Here's a map. I'd like you to tell me exactly which squares you're in (within the red-striped area) when you roll for initiative. Dlanor and Wikka are in the upper one, and the other four of you are in the lower one.

Initiative:
    M1, M2, M3: (1d20+6)[10]
    H1, H2: (1d20+5)[19]

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

9. - Top - End - #129
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Johanai

Johanai sneers at the remaining guards.

You have no idea who you're dealing with.

He brandishes his staff at the guards ominously.

Turn around and walk away. Make up some excuse for your boss. It's the only way you'll survive.

Spoiler
    Show

Johanai is in square G13.
    Intimidate check: (1d20+1)[15]
    Initiative (if necessary) (1d20+5)[14]

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Barok

"Indeed, I agree with my friend here. We don't wish to hurt you, but we have to leave and we won't let you stop us. So please, do everyone a favor and just move." Barok says calmly to the guards, hoping to intimidate them. He glances around quickly to be sure that there are no more guards that may be coming.

Spoiler
    Show

Intimidation check: (1d20+4)[19]

Perception Check: (1d20+4)[23]

If he needs it, Initiative: (1d20+2)[12]

Also, Barok will start at I-14.
    Last edited by Poru93; 2008-11-22 at 02:19 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Dlanor (The Clumsy Ranger)

Dlanor waits in the underbrush, bow at the ready to see how the encounter plays out.

Spoiler
    Show

Dlanor will start at O3.

Initiative - (1d20+4)[11]

Ok now, really, these rolls are starting to stagger the imagination....

Last edited by Ron2112; 2008-11-22 at 01:54 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132

BlackDragon

Kelwyn

Spoiler
    Show

Didn't expect it to do much, was just trying to represent Kelwyn's attempts to keep a watchful eye out. alas, he was to distracted by everything that has been happening to be very effective :)

Kelwyn stood quietly, waiting to see how the situation would work out. He had no wish to hurt these men if it could be avoided, but getting away from the Seekers was top priority.

Spoiler
    Show

Standing at j13

initiative:[rollv]1d20=7[/rollv]

13. - Top - End - #133

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show

initiative take 2:

(1d20+7)[10](17)

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Wikkaquik

"Oh dear" the kender whispers to himself.

Spoiler
    Show

Wikkaquik will start in M1 and hold his action for now.

Any differences between the different colored squares?

Initiative (1d20+5)[7]
    Last edited by Krezzlar; 2008-11-24 at 11:08 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm gonna wait a little while longer for Truwar to post Jorim's position and such since I'm gonna be out of town from this evening until sometime tomorrow night, but I don't think it's gonna matter. If anyone else wants to make an Aid Another Intimidate check to go along with one of the already-rolled checks, go ahead.

Also, the light-green squares and tan squares are the normal grass and the road, respectively; the mid-green is undergrowth and such and is difficult terrain, and the dark green squares are trees that you can't move through but provide cover and such.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

16. - Top - End - #136

Jorim fixes the guards with a steely gaze. Just walk away gentlemen. You do not want to sacrifice your lives for the likes of the Seekers. Besides, the drunken wretch who deigns to call himself your commander will not even remember this night, if I am any judge of how much alcohol he has swilled. No need for you to go getting yourselves killed over this.

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate: (1d20+8)[28]
    Initiative: (1d20+3)[21]

Sorry if I am holding things up, weekends are a tough time for me to post. Also, everyone gets a +2 to their initiative because of Jorim’s “Combat Leader” ability.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Sneak for the slick Bugbear avatar!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing the opposition, the guards hesitate a moment. They seem to be weighing exactly how willing they are to put their bodies on the line for the High Seeker's goals, and apparently the answer is 'not willing at all.'

They turn to leave, one lingering behind momentarily. "You can go on if ya like, but I warn ya - there're some... things... out there now that won't take too kindly to that kinda talk." He turns around, addressing you as he moves to meet the rest, "Next time you're here, ya might wanna try not makin' such a scene, especially with those Seekers around..."

With that, the road now appears clear.

Spoiler
    Show
    I figure a lot of people might be unavailable for a few days because of the Thanksgiving holiday and whatnot, but I figured I'd go ahead and get this up to keep the game movin' on along.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-11-26 at 01:45 PM.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Johanai

Johanai looks smugly at the departing guards.

Even the threat of my vast arcane power is enough to send the enemy fleeing.

He makes a complex gesture and his robes turn back to red.

Even so, we shouldn't linger here. Let's take the east road out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ending the Prestidigitation effect on the robes.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

As you follow the East Road, one of the major roadways out of Solace, you begin to move through the rolling hills and forests of the Kiri Valley on towards the northernmost ridge of the Kharolis Mountains. The mountains aren't high, but the trip to Que-Kiri should take at least five to six hours on foot.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll give you guys more chance to talk and RP and whatnot since I don't want to do anything major until after the weekend. I will do this, though, just to check something.

DM Roll: (1d100)[71]

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Barok

Barok marches along in silence, lost in his thoughts. The true impact of his discovery slowly starts to set in. I found proof of the old gods. I found something that contradicts what has been taught for three hundred years. And now these people will stop at nothing to kill me and erase this proof. I didn't ask for this...

Looking up into the sky, Barok stares at the stars, wondering which of those stars made the constellations of old.

Spoiler
    Show

History Check for the constellations of old:
    (1d20+6)[18]

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

As Barok glances up at the sky, he notices something odd and rather unsettling. As he stops to stare, mouth agape, the rest of you stop and look in the direction he is.

There in the sky above, the openings in the clouds gives you all an opportunity to see that, almost above, in the center of the sky, two large areas of stars have gone blank, as if the stars themselves have disappeared.

Spoiler
    Show

Poru: Barok can only recognize the constellation traditionally associated with his god, Habbakuk, also known as the Blue Phoenix (as I outlined above).

The blank sections are the ones on each side of the six stars near the middle.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

22. - Top - End - #142

BlackDragon

Kelwyn

"By all the gods..." Kelwyn whispered in disquieted awe. His thoughts were racing, whirling about the unavoidable truth that this adventure was much bigger then anything any of his friends had ever done in their lives. The knight did not know the significance of the stars disappearance, but obviously it HAD significance.

Practicality, once again, brought Kelwyn back to the events at hand. "We must make haste friends. Something evil is afoot tonight, and I would rather not meet it on the road."

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Johanai

Johanai stares at the blank patches, his brow furrowed in concentration as he tries to think what could cause them, or if anything like them has been seen before.

Spoiler
    Show
    History check (1d20+6)[26]
    Arcana check (1d20+11)[18]
    Religion check (1d20+11)[15]
    Nature check (1d20+8)[27]
    That should cover it!

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Through your research, you cannot remember having ever heard of such a thing happening before, even during the ages before the Cataclysm.

You do, however, know WHAT is missing - two major constellations. Specifically, the constellations of Paladine, the leader of the gods of Good, and Takhisis, the Dark Queen and leader of the deities of Evil. The constellations were previously locked in position with the constellation of Gilean (the six stars in the center of the sky, representing a Book) keeping them from each other.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Johanai

Johanai looks baffled.

Nothing like this has ever happened. It could always be some illusionist playing a prank. But I think it's more than that.

He points at each patch in turn.

Paladine... and Takhisis. The leaders of the ancient Good and Evil gods, respectively. It's their constellations that are missing, no more and no less.

Johanai starts to pace in a circle.

As I said, it could be a magical illusion, there isn't necessarily any great cosmic meaning here. But if we do take it seriously... well, the symbols of the most powerful ancient gods of all just disappeared from the heavens. What does that mean to you?

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Dlanor

Coming out from undercover in the middle of this exchange, the ranger says, "This happening is beyond my lore as well. At the very least, it means that we should get moving."

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Barok

"Indeed, it is an odd occurrence that does not bode well for us. However, we need to focus on what's happening now. We have to get to Xak Tsaroth as quickly as possible. If what that old man said is true, we are going to have more problems than the disappearance of stars." Barok says to the group.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Wikkaquik

Wikkaquik looks up to the heavens as the others discuss what has happened to the constellations. Old gods didn't hold much meaning for the kender, most of his stories are more contemporary in nature. Still, it was odd seeing the gaps in the familiar sky.

Stifling a yawn, he says "Perhaps we could take a break soon to discuss what this all could mean? It is still several hours to Que-Kiri and I've been walking for most of the day already."

29. - Top - End - #149

BlackDragon

Kelwyn

"A safe place to set up camp would be welcome. Jorim and I spent most of today on the march, and frankly some rest would be welcome. But we should try to find a campsite a little off the beaten path. The Seekers will most likely be looking for us."

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Barok

With a sigh, Barok concedes the point. "I guess we do need to stop and rest tonight, but I agree with Kelwyn that we need to find a place that is off the beaten path. Dlanor, Wikka, would you mind scouting out such a place?"