New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Dragonlance - Dragons of Autumn

Spoiler
    Show
    If you guys are just looking for a place to set up camp, I'm not going to make you roll Nature checks here to find a good place or anything (for now). Just assume you find a good spot that's pretty well-hidden, safe from any inclement weather, and such.

You can take this opportunity to do anything you'd like to do before your extended rest, including healing back up if you want to, etc. After the rest, you reset all your daily and encounter powers, healing surges, action points, and all that.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Sounds good. I just figured since we were all travelling for most of the day, a rest would make sense.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Johanai

Johanai walks over to Barok.

Would you mind doing me a favour?

He pulls up the sleeve of his robe to reveal a long scratch down his arm.

This will heal by itself, of course. But I thought you might want to try the medallion on it, see if it has healing magic.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm two points off my full HP, and I'm using the scratch to represent the missing points.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Barok

"Sure, I'll put it on there. I make no promises that it will work, but I guess it's worth a try." Barok slowly lays the medallion on top of the scratch. As the cool metal makes contact with the skin a holy light begins to radiate from the medallion. It obscures the scratch from sight, and when Barok removes the medallion from where the scratch was, there is no a single mark visible to tell that the scratch was ever there. Though it is his medal, Baork is at a loss for words.

Spoiler
    Show

Just count that as using one of my healing words, I guess.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Johanai

Johanai stares at the spot where the scratch was in fascination.

Thanks. That's... really impressive. It should help us on the battlefield.

He's silent for a moment, lost in thought. He opens his mouth to say something to Barok, but seems to think better of it. He turns to the rest of the group instead.

I think I'll turn in for the night.

Spoiler
    Show
    Religion check: "How does the way that scratch healed compare to accounts of the ancient clerics using their healing magic?" (1d20+11)[22]

6. - Top - End - #156
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Kelwyn

"I will keep first watch." The old knight lays out his bedroll, and eats a cold meal from his trail rations, before drawing his sword, laying it across his kees as he sits a little away from camp, vigilantly watching the night for signs of anything that might threatne the group. In his head, the details of the day swirl by, old God's, powerful healing, Seekers, hobgoblins, and destiny. It is too much for him to deal with, tired as he is, but he is glad to be here with his friends, stalwart companions all (though the kender could be a little flighty). Tomorrow, with a little rest and a little food, he would be better able to wrap his head around what was happening. Patience and long expirence had taught him that sometimes it is best to sleep on a problem, so once his watch was up, Kelwyn retired to his bedroll and slept.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Barok

"Yeah... it should definitely be of use..." Barok says somewhat haltingly, still searching for the words to describe the situation.

Nodding to Johanai's statement about rest, Barok heads over to the rock where Kelwyn is keeping watch. Sitting down, Barok says to Kelwyn, "Do you mind if I keep watch with you? I'm sure two sets of eyes would be better, and I really don't feel much like sleeping right now.

With that, Barok closes his eyes and begins to meditate, trying to find this god who had so abruptly changed his life...

8. - Top - End - #158

BlackDragon

Kelwyn

"Sure lad, have a seat. Two sets of eyes will be better on this night, of that I am sure. I can barely think for all the things that I have seen today. I feel like I have been swept up by a mighty wind, and I am not really sure where I am going to land." Shaking his head and smiling sadly, Kelwyn returns to his watch.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

As the companions all bed down in the camp, Barok and Kelwyn take first watch. The cold wind blows, but it's still early - real winter is still not here, though it's not far off.

The two men notice nothing out of the ordinary during their shift, save the absence of the two constellations in the sky. As others take their shifts, the peace of the cold autumn night continues, and by dawn the sky itself looks clear and pleasant.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm gonna wait a day or so to make sure Truwar is still with us, since he hasn't been around for a while. I figure it's just the Thanksgiving holiday and the weekend, which he said would be bad for him, but I'd like to wait and see anyway.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

10. - Top - End - #160

Spoiler
    Show
    ((Sorry, things got to busy at home to post over the holiday weekend and things were a tad insane when I got back to work yesterday. I have just about dug my way out of the hole there, so I should be posting more often in the near future.))

Having taken the last watch, Jorim is nearly done with his morning exercises when the rest of his companions wake up. After a brief washing he dons his freshly polished armor, reads a quick chapter from the book “The tactics of Vinus Solamnus” and prepares for the day ahead.

Turning to Kelwyn, he respectfully addresses the Knight. If I may ask, Sir, what is our near-term strategy? I know that old fellow mentioned Xak Tsaroth… Do we really intend to head that way?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Sneak for the slick Bugbear avatar!

11. - Top - End - #161

BlackDragon

Kelwyn

As was his want, Kelwyn was up early. He performed his morning routine, donned his armor, and ate a light breakfast. The events of yesterday seemed more grounded and real today then they had the day before, and his feeling of purpose merged with his normal sense of repsonsibility and caution.

"We will need to head there in the long run Jorim, but I don't think we can just start walking and stop when we rach Xak Tsaroth. We are going to need to figure out the best way to cover the ground, and the best course o action to take. For now though, I think we need to reach someplace safe, where we can rest for a few days and decide what we need to do next. It is dangerous on the road with the Seekers potentially looking for us."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Barok

Barok wakes up about an hour or so after Kelwyn does. He is still a little tired and sore from yesterday, still not being completely used to that kind of rigorous travel. He takes a while to get his armor on since he was unfamiliar with the process only having done it once before in a state of panic. However, when he looks at the armor clearly in the light of day, he notices that it appears different than it did when he found it. It had taken on a somewhat rusted appearance. Wondering if it might be the same with the mace and the medallion, he quickly pulls them out of his bag where he had stored them for the night. He is shocked to see that both the medallion and the mace have also taken on a worn and rusted look. He puzzles over this as he sits down to eat a quick bite of the journey bread he keeps in his pack. Suddenly, Kelwyn's response to Jorim's question interrupts his train of thought. Looking up, he voices his agreement with Kelwyn's plan. "Agreed, the ruins are a long way away, there is no possible path that we could take that would allow us to avoid the Seekers. There is just too much distance. Maybe once we get to the next town, we will find a way to get there quicker."

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Johanai
    Johanai finishes writing in his spellbook and walks over to join the group.

Hey, I forgot to buy ritual components, so if we could stop in a town-

He pauses as he sees the condition of the mace and armour.

Huh.

Johanai examines all of the artifacts, frowning.

Spoiler
    Show
    My daily spell selection is the same as yesterday's.
    Arcana check: "Are the artifacts still magic?" (1d20+11)[22]
    Dungeoneering check: "If the artifacts were completely normal, how long would it take for normal wear and tear to make them look like this?" (1d20+8)[22]

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The artifacts seem to not only be magic, just as before, but to now be exuding slightly more magic that before. You know nothing could cause anything like that to happen in such a short amount of time. Barok, despite seeing the difference, can still feel the same divine power within them, too, so the change appears to only be cosmetic.

Departing soon after your quick breakfast, you head on down the road. The next village, Que-Kiri is still several hours away, but with some luck you should be able to reach it by some time soon after noon.

Spoiler
    Show
    How are you guys travelling? Are you sending scouts ahead, or just all sticking together like normal travellers? Any particular order or anything?

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

15. - Top - End - #165

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show

I would vote for scouts ahead. Since we haven't heard from our scout types though, I was hoping that they would check in soonish :)

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Wikkaquik

Wikkaquik wakes bright and chipper, refreshed from a good night's sleep under the stars (even the missing ones). After digging out some rations from his pouches, some that he didn't even know he had, he volunteers to scout ahead once more.

"Same as before, 3 quick calls, a pause then another call will indicate to wait. Hope they have some good food in Que-Kiri!"

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Dlanor

"That plan seems sound to me, good Wikkaquik. Have your weapon at the ready, and let's be off." Dlanor readies his bow, and prepares to run off ahead.

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for the absence lately, guys. Thanksgiving holiday, and my wife had a baby yesterday. So it's been a bit busy.....

Last edited by Ron2112; 2008-12-04 at 07:28 AM.
    My other characters/games:

D&D 4E: Sarsath, Dragonborn Sorceror -- Dungeon Crawl REDUX

18. - Top - End - #168

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show

Grats man, hope baby and mom are doing well!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

As you set out with the morning sun, the road ahead seems relatively safe and normal. The sun shines, the weather isn't too cold, and you don't see any hobgoblins, Seeker guards or other obvious threats.

A few hours later, as you near the end of the Que-Kiri Valley, the keen-eyed ranger, striding across the top of a particularly large hill, spots a shape in the distance, standing out against the yellow autumnal grass. With a quick movement, he points it out to Wikka, and both manage to get a look at it before it moves out of their sight behind the next hill. The shape appear to be several humanoid shapes in robes, three walking in front, and two pulling a cart behind.

It will be at least 5 to 8 minutes before the figures make it to your position.

Spoiler
    Show
    Congrats, Ron! Hope the whole family is doing well!

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Johanai

Johanai squints at the approaching figures.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check: "Are the people armed, or do they look dangerous in any other way?" (1d20+3)[5]
    Congratulations, Ron.

21. - Top - End - #171

BlackDragon

Kelwyn

The farther the group traveled from Solcae, the more Kelwyn allowed himself to relax. He spent the day walking with Jorim, reviewing different points of the Oath and the Measure with him. Kelwyn enjoyed teaching the lad, as he was a quick study and a good student. He also had a real sense of nobility, something that Kelwyn envied. He thought that for Jorim, the Knighthood was a calling, something that made sense all the time and that the lad was suited for. Kelwyn often felt it was more of a burden, a task that he had to meet and conquer with only his own meager tools and skills for help. Nonetheless, working on the teachings of the Knighthood reinvigorated him, reinforcing his own resolve to follow the demanding standards of the Order.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Wikkaquik

"I'll pop back and grab the others and tell them to be careful. Don't you go doing anything daring without us, will be back in a minute."

With that, the kender quickly runs back to where there rest of the party is advancing.

"There appear to be a couple of travellers up ahead. I'll bring you to where Dlanor is waiting to get a better look. Try not to cause too much of a racket."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Barok

As they march along the road, Barok continues to ponder the odd transformation of the "divine armament". "Johanai, did you figure anything out about why the armor and medallion changed? I figure you have more knowledge about this stuff than I do." Barok asks the red-robed mage.

Suddenly all thoughts of his armor are interrupted when Wikka comes running towards them. Hearing the kender's message, Barok starts to move quickly to where Dlanor is. "Kelwyn, Jorim, any ideas for strategy?" Barok asks the knights.

Spoiler
    Show

Congrats, Ron.
    Last edited by Poru93; 2008-12-05 at 06:47 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Johanai

Johanai shakes his head.

I can't tell you much. It seems to be a purely cosmetic effect - the magic is still in them. I'd say someone's used a prestidigitation spell on them to make them less conspicious, but there was no one to cast the spell. I've never heard of a magic item that could do that by itself.

Johanai follows the group towards Dlanor.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

As all six of you finally come back together near the top of the hill, the figures and their cart are making their way up the hill towards you. From this distance you can make out that the five figures all wear robes that cover them from head to toe, like some of the Seeker clerics are said to wear. They don't appear armed, but the cart is covered with heavy burlap, obscuring whatever is inside.

As they near, the one in front raises a bandage-wrapped hand and calls out to you. "Hail, fellow travelersss! What bringsss you out on thisss ssseldom-usssed road? Any news from Sssolace?"

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

26. - Top - End - #176
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Johanai

Johanai stays silent, looking warily at the speaker.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nature check: "What kind of creature talks like that?" (1d20+8)[26]

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Dlanor

Dlanor replies cautiously, "We are out on a hunt, looking for game to sell in town. We were through Solace for only a short time, but all seemed well there. What of you, good sir?"

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy - (1d20+4)[20]

Well....that's a bit better. If this guy starves as a ranger, he still might find work in the U.N.

Last edited by Ron2112; 2008-12-06 at 07:37 AM.
    My other characters/games:

D&D 4E: Sarsath, Dragonborn Sorceror -- Dungeon Crawl REDUX

28. - Top - End - #178

BlackDragon

Kelwyn

As the robed figures approach, Kelwyn responds to Barok. "Just be cautious. The seekers are no friends of ours." Turning to Jorim, he says "I'll stay near Barok, in case these fellows have unfriendly intentions. They will have to go through me to get him or the armament. You might want to try to move around them if they stop to talk to us, so that we can split their attention if this comes to blows."

As the robed figures approach and speak, Kelwyn eyes them warily. Recent events have made him somewhat suspicious about the intentions of the Seekers.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Wikkaquik

Wikka looks closely at the travellers, trying to get a peek under the robes from his position with the rest of the party. Finally, with his curiousity getting the better of him, he says "So what's in the cart?"

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The figures seem humanoid and can speak Common, but otherwise your Nature check doesn't really tell you anything. You've heard of humans with speech impediments that sometimes could sound like that, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Overall, you just don't know.

They don't seem to be immediately hostile, though, and seem willing to talk for a moment.

"Well, my tiny friend," the lead creature says "The contentsss of the cart are part of why we're out here instead of with the rest of the Ssseekersss. Sssome evil people ssseem to have ssstolen sssome very powerful itemsss from usss - essspecially a medallion - and without thossse our friend here," he pulls up the burlap enough to reveal another hooded and robed figure, "will probably die. Lassst we heard the arma- uh, our ssstolen itemsss, were in the vicinity of Sssolace, in the handsss of a human and... a kender." The figure turns his hooded head and looks pointedly at Wikka.

"Now, my friendsss," he says to you all, "You wouldn't know anything about that, would you? Our friend isss in real need..."

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium