New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Door to Heaven (IC)

The world is old, very old. It bears the scars of a thousand wars, some documented, most forgotten in the mists of time. The war of the Dragons has been over for several years, but the earth may never fully heal. Much that once was is gone forever. Mighty and ancient forests have been reduced to cinders and the elves, who used to bring laughter and light to the hearts of all who desired it, are all but destroyed. It is as if the gods themselves have retreated from this world.

Ramrir. You all came to this city among a sea of refugees, hoping to find a new life. What you found was a hotbead of crime and misery. Many people coming here are robbed, even killed, on their first day here. There are few places to live and the streets are crowded with beggers and prostitutes. You are treated even worse, being inhuman. It is impossible to find work and no one will take you in to their homes or inns. You have become suspects in a string of kidnappings, and were arrested. Your trial, if you could call it one, was not fair by any means. You were not even allowed to speak. You are now sitting in a prison cell. The conditions are sqalid at best. A moldering hay stack lies in the corner and there is not much room for the three of you. It has been two days since the trial.

The captain of the guard walks in and looks at you with distaste. "I have some good news and some bad news"

Spoiler
    Show
    Hello everyone and welcome to the Door To Heaven campaign. I will be expecting you to post once a day at the least. This will allow the game to go at a quicker pace and hopefully keep it from dying for no reason like a lot of other I've played in have. The players right now are Ennui, Arcticwind and Gentoo44. You will be joined later by either Silent Night or imp fireball. Have fun!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Door to Heaven (IC)

Hlethiuk Nescvas: Kobold

Hlethiuk sits against a far wall, away from the others. He hasn't talked to them yet, nor does he plan to. This situation seems strikingly farmiliar to his last prediciment, and mixed feelings of anger, pain, and-though he doesn't show it-fear wash over him. For the hundreth time, he curses the dirty halfling in the streets that got him here.
    The freaking guy framed me! D*mnit! Why couldn't I have just kept walking? Then I wouldn't be in this mess.

He absentmindedly picks at a loose seam in the grungy shirt he head been given, when he was thrown into this hellhole.
    Hlethiuk looks up as the guard walks down the corridor, but then pretends to lose interest. Senses on high alert, he listens to the guard without looking or responding to him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yay! Lets start the first reply off with a roll! (1d20+7)[14] to pretend that Hlethiuk isn't paying attention.
    Natural 20's: 1
    Natural 1's: 0
    As of 9/30/09

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

The guard captain is not fooled by your display.
    "Respond, prisoner! Don't you want to get out of here?!"

4. - Top - End - #4

Hlethiuk turns twards the man unwillingly and speaks in a half-whisper, hissing voice,
    "What?"
    As of 9/30/09

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

"We just found out who the real kidnappers are. You and your," He looks at the two half orcs with disgust. "new friends are free to go. But only on one condition"
    Last edited by An Enemy Spy; 2008-10-29 at 03:22 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Hlethuik rolls his eyes and gets up off the ground.
    "We're not kidnappers. Why would you need us?"
    Last edited by AetherFox; 2008-10-29 at 03:38 PM.
    As of 9/30/09

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

"We don't need you. When the public finds out that we arrested the wrong people, we will lose some credibility. So help us find the real criminals, and all of this goes away."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Shagga

Shagga is a huge, wild, half-orc that stands well over 6 and a half feet tall and weighs around 300 pounds. He has long dreadlocks that hang down past his shoulders and a full bushy beard that extends several inches from his chin. His features lean more towards his orcish heritage with dark greenish skin, large lower canines and a thick, coarse black hair that covers his body.
    The massive half orc with dreadlocks rises off the floor. He carries his girth well and moves extremly quickly for a man his size. He looks at the gard with a thoughtful eye.

"You say you know who the kidnappers are, but you need our help to find them? Hmmm. Shagga can help, but you must help Shagga first. Let me see my wolf."

9. - Top - End - #9

Hlethuik takes a half-step backwards as the enormous half-orc gets up. To such a small kobold, it feels as though the world is shaking.
    As of 9/30/09

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

The captain is not intimidated. "I don't have to show you anything and I don't have to ever let you out. The wolf is tied up in our stable, be content with that knowledge. The opportunity to aid us is a favor, not a plea for help"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Verden

"I'll do it. Let me out."

Up to now, Verden has been sitting on the ground in meditation. He looks more like a real tall human in the half shadow of the cell. His monk's robes have survived the last two days relatively well, though the linen's color has darkened somewhat. All in all, the half-orc seems to be quite indifferent to his surroundings.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Shagga gives a deep chuckle. "No need to be scared. Shagga won't hurt you. I will help, but it's Wolf who can find who your looking for, not me. That's why I ask to see him."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Some guards come over and open the cell to let Verden out, then close it again. Teh captain turns back to the other two. "I still haven't heard you say yes."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"I said I would help. You want me to say yes?"

Shagga pauses for effect.

"Yes"

15. - Top - End - #15

Hlethiuk looks up at the guard, and, from the side he says in subtly angry voice,
    "You really want me to help you find the real criminals, so you can hide your erratum from the public?
    Hlethiuk shakes his head and looks back,
    "If you already know who the criminals are, then that's enough for me to walk freely."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry if I don't fall into the plot line so quickly, but I want to develop my guy a little.

Anyway, let's just see how far we can push this guard.
    As of 9/30/09

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

The guard captain looks down on Hlethiuk, looking very tall and imposing but not like he's really trying to. "Why won't you help us get the kidnappers? Perhaps you are one of them. Perhaps I shouldn't ever let you out of this cell. I strongly doubt anyone will make a big fuss over the freedom of one kobold." He motions to the other guards, who let Shagga out.

17. - Top - End - #17

Hlthiuk realizes he has no other options, ad looks up at the guard with contempt, and snarles,
    "Fine."

Spoiler
    Show
    Apparently that's how far I can push him.
    As of 9/30/09

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

As Hlethiuk is let out of the cell, two guards roughly drag out a ragged looking hobgoblin and throw him out the door with all his possesions.

Spoiler
    Show
    In case your wondering, this is Silent Night

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Svendran Heimdall

The ragged hobgoblin picks himself up and straightens his acountraments. He straps a red-hilted longsword to his hip and then frantically opens his pack, removing a shallow square box and inspecting it. Satisfied, he replaces it and turns to the other inmates. "They tell me I'm to work with you, something about a kidnapping. I'm Svendran Heimdall, follower of the Red Knight and former servant of General Garsa Solidor."
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

The guard turns to face you all. "The kidnappers are a group of cultists. Unfortunately we cannot find out where they operate from. This is where you come in. People might be able to tell you where to find their hideout if they do not know you are working for the city guard. Find someone who knows where it is and get that information out of them using any means nessecary. You are not working with the guard, remember that. I suggest you check out the seedier parts of town. Now get out of this building"

21. - Top - End - #21

"Let me at least get my stuff back."
    As of 9/30/09

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

"If you would have a little bit of patience, you scaly dolt, my men are gathering your things right now." Four men walk in with your possesions and uncerimoniously throw them in a heap on the floor.
    "That is all, you may leave."

23. - Top - End - #23

Hlethiuk hefts his pack and turns twards the door without a sound or looking behind him, nor at the three monsters leaving with him.
    As of 9/30/09

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

The captain said to look in the seediest part of town, but just outside the door looks seedy enough already. The sides of the road are littered with filth. Three beggers in tattered clothes hungrily devour what appears to be a dead cat. on the other side of the road, a young woman is being forced up against the side of a building by a pair of large mean looking men. One of them is holding a knife against her chest. "Come on sweetie, gimme a kiss." he says in a gruff voice. Then he starts licking her ear while the other guy laughs.

25. - Top - End - #25

Ugh. I've had it with this scummy town. Let someone else take car of it. Like those nobleguards.

Hlethiuk keeps walking, tyring to ignore the scene.
    As of 9/30/09

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

When Shagga is returned his few belongings, he puts on his armor and weapons and bends down to greet his wolf, checking to make sure he is alright.

When the hobgoblin introduces himself, Shagga gives a deep nod and says, "Welcome Svendran. Would your Knight or General connections be able to get us out of this?"

As he exits the jail and walks out into the street, Shagga is reminded just how corrupt cities are. Their desease spreads and destroys all it touches. The weak scavengers scraping by off a dead cat would surly perish from disease soon. The predators were going after a trapped prize. Shagga would not have minded, except he recalled a time when he was in a situation not unlike her own.

Shagga reaches for his whistle and gives two quick, but silent, blows. His wolf, understanding the command, races off towards the men.

Spoiler
    Show

Shagga is using handle animal (1d20+7)[11] to tell his wolf to attack. He will then draw his scimitar and follow his wolf.

Initiative (1d20+4)[10]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Verden

"I will try and find a seedier part of the town than this one," Verden says to anyone who might care and chooses a random direction. Then he tries to make his way out of the city, after having checked that everything he had before being thrown into the cell is still in his backpack.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"Possibly,"Svendran says, "but I have not seen him in several years, since the war. I was hoping to get word to him once I reached a big city but now I'm with you all." Noticing the dreadlocked orc attack the young woman's assaulters, Svendran reasons the woman could be a source of information. He follows suit.

Spoiler
    Show
    Svendran will move forward and attack the closest thug.
    Initiative:(1d20)[1]
    Attack:(1d20+4)[20]
    Crit confirmation: (1d20+4)[13]
    Damage: (1d20+4)[8]
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

29. - Top - End - #29

Hlethiuk twirls around, noticing the two beast run after the woman and her attackers.
    "Hey! Aments! Can't we stay on task for like, two seconds?!"

Seeing that they aren't to be stopped, Hlethiuk draws his shortbow, and sidles behind a nearby crate, if any, from where he can shoot.

I'm gonna regret this...

He notches an arrow and fires.

Spoiler
    Show
    Do we have a surprise round? I hope so. Anyway, (1d20+6)[19] for attack, (1d20+6)[17] to confirm a potential critical. (1d20+4)[8] for initiative, (1d4)[2] for damage, and lastly, (1d6)[2] if I get sneakystrike. That's a lot of rolls!
    Last edited by AetherFox; 2008-10-31 at 01:59 PM.
    As of 9/30/09

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

The arrow strikes one of the men in the chest, knocking him to the ground, dead. Svendran's sword cuts the other man's head clean off, spraying their victim with blood.

She looks almost as afraid of you you as she did of them, what with your big weapons and wolf. I suppose she would be fairly attractive from a human's odd fangless standpoint, which is probably why the two thugs were so interested in her. Her clothes are soaked with blood and mud and her face has a large bruise on it. She wipes the man's spit off of her ear with her sleeve, and looks up at Svendren. "Are you going to kill me like you killed him?" she says in a soft voice. She sounds a little scared but mostly sad.
    Last edited by An Enemy Spy; 2008-10-31 at 06:54 PM.