New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Servants of the Fallen IC

Gerard

Gerard, only slightly injured, and watches as the box are inspected.
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Otho

"Haha, I should probably get used to it. Its what I get for turning at 19." His eyes start picking up the different auras, now mostly left overs from the fight and those still carried by his allies. "Alright then, thank you."

"It's salvageable, but it might be too much to move. Besides, I think you're thinking too small. Why settle for iron when we have the glassteel? I'm sure most blacksmiths would actually pay us just to have a chance to work with it."
    Looking over the sight again, he reconsiders. "Well, what's left from the elf's carriage anyway."

Otho crouches down near the box, looking at the various items and the engravings himself. Out of sheer curiosity, he gives the dagger a quick flick. "This might make up for it though."
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2008-11-30 at 03:54 PM.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

3. - Top - End - #273

Eclipse
    HP 147/147 AC: 29 T: 15 FF: 26 SR 15 (Divine)

Eclipse, returned to the fold after his relatively short walk, listens carefully as the group speaks, and watches even more carefully as investigations of the bodies and carriage occur.

"As pleased as we are to have found some spoils for our...troubles, we are in agreement with the telepath that we take our earnings--whatever they may be--"he gestures at the slagged metal, "and leave."

Turning to Vervasi. "It is true we did not kill them all. However we slaughtered many, and I do not know how we could have done better, considering the circumstances."

Back to the group. "How do we wish to do this? We can aid in carrying the box if it is necessary. However, where do we carry it too? Do we all simply retreat to safety and have our employers find us?"

Spoiler
    Show

Spells Expended:
    Dimensional Lock
    Divine Power
    Avasculate
    Earth Reaver
    Knight's Move
    Heal

SLAs

Creeping Doom
    Hold Monster
    Fly

Inspiration Points:
    Deadly Touch Points: 20
    Active Buffs:

Move Action: N/A
    Standard Action: N/A
    Swift Action: N/A

Eclipse now has a STR bonus of +9, which should probably be sufficient for aiding in carrying he box, or anything else.

Last edited by Whiplord; 2008-11-30 at 03:55 PM.

Eclipse, Servant of the Dark God. Servants of the Fallen
    Necrosis
    , True Necromancer, Unbound
    Xxzyx
    , Impure Prince, Seas of Change, Winds of Fate
    Quintillius, Paladin of the Red Knight, Run to the North

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm, yes, I suppose the carrying and transport is a bit is the problematic one for the steel. Well, as for the other items, I can arrange to get them identified by a Lillend or three, although there are some mild risks involved, I'll need a little help on the Calling Diagram, and I'll need someone else to purchase and transport the components for me."

"As for where to take the prize? Perhaps that clearing where we first met up would be suitable. It's a location both we and they are familiar with, so it seems a natural gathering point."
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2008-11-30 at 08:12 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

5. - Top - End - #275

Eclipse

Eclipse nods in affirmation. "This sounds like a good plan to us."

Eclipse shakes his head over the various magic items and moves to take a position near the box.

Spoiler
    Show

Spells Expended:
    Dimensional Lock
    Divine Power
    Avasculate
    Earth Reaver
    Knight's Move
    Heal

SLAs

Creeping Doom
    Hold Monster
    Fly

Inspiration Points:
    Active Buffs:

Eclipse moves to aid in transporting the box. He will likely just follow someone else's lead at this point.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

6. - Top - End - #276

RogueGuy

Gerard

I agree with the Lady. I have no doubt that our employers will be able to find us, but the clearing is a nice neutral place.
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground

Duensal

Looking at the spoils and hearing the conversation, Duensal nods.

Yes, to the clearing. I can identify all of the treasure once we have some space and I know I won't be disturbed by unruly mages with revenge on their mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    You sir, are my hero.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

Vervasi, Gerard, Eclipse and Zen-Ort are all required to lift the black box and carry it to the clearing; the thing must weigh several tons...

When you reach the clearing, Duensal begins the identification of the strange set of items you got from the ambassador's carriage.
    The cloak proves the easiest to identify as it is merely another version of a pretty common magical item; with a command word, the black piece of clothing will turn the wearer invisible.
    Also fairly easy to recognize are the two rings, though the two spells used in their crafting are very rarely combined. While wearing one of them, the wearer will not be touched by natural light and seem to be standing in a perpetual shade and around the hand bearing the ring a patch of that shadow will solidify into a weightless shield.
    The dagger is harder to identify and once Duensal does so he lets it fall to the ground in haste. Though the blade will function like most magical weapons, wounds from it are cursed. Not only do they require the removal of the curse from every wound before healing can be applied but also can only be healed in areas suffused with a divine presence.
    The helm is yet another protective item where darkness is used to shield. When worn, the bearer is literally protected by an armor of darkness that deflects blows, diminishes the strength of holy effects and, if the wearer is undead, makes it more difficult for clerics to abolish him.

The potions are equally interesting: they are not really potions at all but far stronger one-time effects bound to a liquid carrier.
    The six lesser ones, when shattered against a hard surface, will create a ten-foot radius dome that will bar the passage of spells for a time.
    The six in the middle row are magic inhibitors and actual potions. When imbibed, the drinker becomes immune to magic as if he were under an antimagic field for a time. However, the drinker's items are unaffected; they will keep functioning and benefitting him normally.
    The last six are the most powerful-they nullify magic. Shattering them against a hard surface unleashes magicslaying energies in a small area. Spells and similar effects are immediately ended-even if they cannot normally be dispelled-and magic items have a good chance to be destroyed.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

9. - Top - End - #279

RogueGuy

Gerard

Gerard listens politely as the magical properties of the items are being listed out.

He furls his eyebrows for a moment and says "Does anyone else find it interesting that the mage's were carrying so many items that would largely be of worth to evil entities? Particularly undead and underdark dwellers?"

10. - Top - End - #280
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

<An interesting point, and a worrisome one. What reason could Neverwinter have for carrying these items in their possession, unless they were simply more gifts for Luskan? Could they be trapped perhaps, bearing curses or just set to function as scrying focuses for anyone hunting thieves? In particular, the ambassador will be able to find any of us wearing such an item unerringly should she simply have touched these previously, unless I am mistaken - divination was never a topic of significant interest to me.>
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2008-12-01 at 02:46 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Marassa considers.

"It is only marginally worrisome to me; it makes sense in a couple of different contexts, if you think about it. They were gifts for the Arcane Brotherhood of Luskan, after all, and the Arcane Brotherhood of Luskan is known for using demons, devils, and such for their work. In that context, they are gifts that will be of much use to the recipients. Likewise, the Many-Starred Cloaks brotherhood of mages is not particularly well-known for making use of such creatures - which means the items are less useful for the Many-Starred Cloaks brotherhood of mages than other items of similar cost; the items in question are considerably less important for them, and so are easier to give away. Still, the point of them being traceable is a valid one."
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

12. - Top - End - #282

After identifying the items, Duensal shrugs.

I would have found a tome far more useful, but the potions have their place, especially in negating that... ambassador. She wields powerful magics to be sure, and these will helpe even the odds in our favour.

Mind you, if they are able to negate magic, they could be useful in more... indirect ways. Say, if we were being scryed upon and needed to fix that worrisome problem.
    You sir, are my hero.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Orc in the Playground

Tapping her lips, Vervasi thinks for a moment then asks.

"Assuming that the ambassador does seek retribution, these potions will be invaluable. Is there any way we can track if we are being scryed upon? And is there anything we can do about that further?"

14. - Top - End - #284

Eclipse

Eclipse had also noted the potions, and while he knew they would be very useful, he felt it more prudent to let the others decide how to share them out. Although to him it seemed that if they were going to stick together as a group--which seemed likely at this point--it might be advisable to simply hold them in a group reserve until a situation where they were needed came up. In the end though, it didn't matter much to him.

"We are in agreement with the Lady. It is no large stretch of the mind that could see these particular items as gifts for the Brotherhood. It is very true that they utilize forces that could find use of these elements contained here."

He paused to consider. "As for your other concern... We think it valid. It is a possibility that they could be tracked. Even if they were simply intended for the brotherhood." Looking around at the group, his speech takes on a questioning tone. "Does anyone know of a method to confirm this?"

Mentally moving on, his eyes once again rove over the loot. "We would personally derive use from the helmet here. Does anyone object to this? We are very willing to bargain. In fact, we believe it best. Needless squabbling will get none of us anywhere."

Spoiler
    Show

Spells and SLAs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spells Expended:
    Dimensional Lock
    Divine Power
    Avasculate
    Earth Reaver
    Knight's Move
    Heal

SLAs

Creeping Doom
    Hold Monster
    Fly

Other Resources:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Inspiration Points: 9
    Active Buffs:

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

"I can do something about the scrying, if you don't mind sticking to a reasonably small area; I'm not sure if it'll stop the most powerful spells, but it will stop most spells."

With that, Marassa draws a few items from a pouch at her belt, and casts a spell over the clearing... and to those in the clearing, not much changes. To those outside, the clearing becomes rather impenetrable to sight, sound, and most forms of spying, magical or mundane.

"There... that'll give us a measure of privacy."

"As for the distribution of the acquired materiel from our recent endeavors, I'm not overly concerned. One of the rings might prove useful to me if I we are to engage in daylight endeavors, but I can operate without such, and in most cases I will be more inclined to keep with my current set."

Spoiler
    Show

Standard: Cast Mage's Private Sanctum. With 13 30-foot cubes, I'm pretty sure she can get most, if not all, of the clearing. Lasts 24 hours. Core spell; Spellcraft DC to identify is 20 if you see it cast, 25 thereafter. Marassa makes sure to go ten feet underground with the effect, as it exists both on the material plane and the ethereal plane due to her casting while manifested.

Per-Day abilities Consumed:
    Hexblade Spell Slots: 3 1st level
    Hexblade's Curse
    Sorcerer Spell Slots: 10 1st, 10 2nd, 5 3rd, 3 4th, 2 5th
    Psi-Like Abilities: Energy Current
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2008-12-01 at 09:07 PM.

16. - Top - End - #286

Eclipse

Eclipse watches as Marassa casts the spell, immediately recognizing what she is doing. He nods.

"Many thanks Marassa. That should be of some help we hope."

Spoiler
    Show

Spells and SLAs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spells Expended:
    Dimensional Lock
    Divine Power
    Avasculate
    Earth Reaver
    Knight's Move
    Heal

SLAs

Creeping Doom
    Hold Monster
    Fly

Other Resources:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Active Buffs:

Auto succeed on Spellcraft check with +22.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

"While I can renew it, it'll only last a day, it's immobile, and it doesn't stop all forms of divinations that can reveal locations. Long-term, we'll likely want a Detect Scrying effect, or maybe something in the Anticipate Teleportation line. I don't know those spells personally, though."
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2008-12-01 at 09:57 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288

Eclipse

Eclipse shrugs. "We recommend waiting till the Three have contacted us once again before the group undertakes anything drastic anyways.

As an afterthought, he once again addresses everyone. "We should still consider this collection a...group...at this point, should we not?"

Spoiler
    Show

Spells and SLAs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spells Expended:
    Dimensional Lock
    Divine Power
    Avasculate
    Earth Reaver
    Knight's Move
    Heal

SLAs

Creeping Doom
    Hold Monster
    Fly

Other Resources:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Active Buffs:

Last edited by Whiplord; 2008-12-01 at 10:03 PM.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Otho

"Interesting" During the moving and the examination, Otho is rather quiet seemingly fading into the background, lost in thought. Once Duensal is finished with their spoils, he absentmindedly picks up the dagger and admires the design and its blade.

Snapping out of it, Otho speak up. "I don't see why not Eclipse. I'm not sure about the rest, but I didn't sign up to slaughter a caravan like a lowly bandit." Smiling, he gives the dagger a twirl in his hand. "I haven't even started yet."

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, that. Otho, I'm reasonably sure that the caravan was at least partially a 'shakedown mission' so to speak; a perfectly legitimate mission to further our employer's goals, but one of secondary or tertiary importance to their overall plan. After all, unless you're prescient, you need a test of some kind to know how contractors will do, long-term. While our employers obviously knew of our abilities before we were hired, they likely can't know how we'll work out together until they see us at work. Now they will have a reasonable idea how well we do with blunt tasks. I imagine they'll next have a task requiring a bit more finesse, towards similar ends, assuming they continue employing us."

"I, however, have had a somewhat tiresome day, so unless there are any objections, I'm going to take a short dirt-nap until our employer's arrive."

Marassa sinks down a short distance underground, de-manifests, and beings the period of restful calm needed to regain spells....
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2008-12-02 at 06:18 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291

Duensal looks around, and nods.

Yes, this is far from what I expected, although not unpleasant. As much fun as ruining the ambassador's day was, destroying Neverwinter and taking what is rightfully mine, that is why I am here. Our employers offered something of the sort initially, and I intend for one to see our plans through to fruition.

There is much knowledge there that has been denied to me, and I will not let anyone stop me from gaining that which might save my people!
    You sir, are my hero.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Otho

Clearing some of the underbrush off his coffin, Otho chuckles under his breath at Duensal's words. "Gesh, you make me sound petty. My goal's pretty simple..." He holds his hand out and makes the dagger dance along his fingers. After a few seconds it lands handle first on his palm. "I just want to drive this through a certain priest's heart."

After a moment's pause, he shrugs and calls out to the bard again. "So you're after knowledge... I think I know someone who can help you..." He signals him over to his coffin.

23. - Top - End - #293

Duensal, curious, wanders over to Otho.

Hmmm?
    You sir, are my hero.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

The group rests in the clearing, hopefully concealed from unseen eyes. Your rest is fitfull and unfulfilling for some reason and you have a feeling you're being watched...

As night falls and the ambassador's hold on the weather ends, a powerful snowstorm ravages the nearby mountains but does not touch the clearing itself. At midnight, three familiar cloaked figures fade into visibility from the surrounding shadows.
    IS IT DONE?
    The three ask in unison.

Spoiler
    Show

Assume you rest for 12 hours and make any preparations you want.
    4.000 XP for the fights of the previous day.
    Any private conversations can be resolved via PM if you want-or in the OOC boards.
    Last edited by Belial_the_Leveler; 2008-12-03 at 09:12 AM.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Marassa gets up from her rest, to address The Trio.

"Resolved, at least. We were able to retrieve the object, but unable to terminate all targets. Additionally, there was a complication in moving the object - the lid was fastened with what appear to have been immovable rods. When we deactivated the immovable rods so that the object could be moved, the lid came off and we were attacked by a magic-eating cloud. We killed it, but I'm afraid we were unable to put it back in the object, so the contents of the target are not quite what they were we you set us on our task."

26. - Top - End - #296

Szeth

The ever lurking pixie slinks around. ((Still here))
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

27. - Top - End - #297

Eclipse

Eclipse unfolds from his kneeling position at the fringes of the clearing, having finished drawing his power for the day.

"We seemed to have been anticipated by the ambassador."

Rested and fed, power thrums through Eclipse body, the thrumming sensation causing his clawed hands to clench and relax repeatedly.

Spoiler
    Show

Spells and SLAs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spells Expended:
    --

SLAs

--

Other Resources:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Active Buffs:

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

28. - Top - End - #298

Duensal turns to the cloaked figures, and nods.

Yes, we stopped the caravan, defeated the travellers, and captured the cargo. They will believe that they were set up by those you wish to frame, of that I am sure.
    You sir, are my hero.

29. - Top - End - #299

RogueGuy

Gerard

Gerard nods in agreement.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Zen

The beast does not move and says nothing when their three benefactors arrive, still as a statue. He performed his duty to the best of his ability, and even ate a chicken. If that did not happen to be enough it was lack of foresight on their part for putting him in a position beyond his ability.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<