New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Damage Control (T&D) IC

Fiach smiles back, flawless ivory teeth catching the sunlight. Then he sits back on the grass and looks carefully at Derrick. He mutters something about teeth condition and bitterleaf, then pulls out his small pouch of herbs and begins to pick through it.

"Now Derrick, I can't help but notice that you haven't had the chance to clean yourself off lately. Your magnificent scales are muddy and worn, your teeth aren't as clean and grand as they could be. So instead of complaining about it and breaking your heart in twain, I will endeavour to correct these mishaps. Give me but a moment, and I'll make a quick ointment to clean the scales and leave them healthy and shiny - if I've got enough bitterleaf, it'll also stave off shedding for quite a while - and some cleanser for your teeth - where'd I leave that water canteen, it was here just a moment ago... Give me a moment to mix up the herbs in the water and crush the bitterleaf... behold! If I did things right, this should work. Mind if I test the bitterleaf ointment on you, Derrick?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Cleanliness is next to godliness in the elven language.
    Master of Herbs, aiming for 10 (+2 from back when I tried to scare off the dragon.) (d20)[14]

Fiach rubs the bitterleaf ointment on the dragon, but it doesn't seem to work. He gingerly tastes it. "Blast, I knew I didn't have enough bitterleaf! I'm afraid I'll have to wait to clean your scales - I simply don't have the supplies at the moment to make a perfect ointment.

Also, I should warn you - the mouth cleanser will probably be the worst thing you've ever tasted. It'll leave your mouth sparkling, but your teeth probably won't be the first thing on your mind. However, if you swish this about your mouth, your fanged grin will be even more magnificent than a dragon's!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Gah. Wasted that +2. Pleasant Wordsmith to get him to drink the mouthwash anyway? Aiming for 8. [roll]d20[/roll]
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2008-12-10 at 09:24 AM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Same as the bottom spoiler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (d20)[4], aiming for 8.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

(Elrosth, please do try to remember to roll d20s, not d12s for this game, I'll let you off this time and call it a success, but otherwise it might be unfair to other players in the future)

Wilfred looks at the drake, then back at you and then the town, which has seen better days. He sighs. "Well, if you can get the drake to leave us alone and rebuild some of what it destroyed, then we shall call it job done. I hope you know what you're doing...." Says Wilfred.

The drake doesn't seem to like the idea of cleanliness, especially since the ointment failed to work on it's scales. It grudingly agrees to use the mouthwash. It sips the mouthwash and sloshes it about it's mouth. Fire flares in it's nostrils, you can tell it's not liking the mouthwash very much. After a minute or two the drake has had enough and spits out the mouthwash next to you. "Bleh! That stuff's disgustin'! How do I look?" It asks, showing you it's teeth. The mouthwash has made some progress in cleaning the drake's teeth, although it will require repeated and extended use to fully clean out it's mouth.
    I drew this line myself

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

"Better, m'lord, better! A hero should look the part, don't you agree? In that vein, perhaps it would be prudent to help Fiach acquire some bitterleaf for your scales, so that you may be a shining example of the heroic adventurer when we return to the town. Trust me, appearance truly IS everything."

Silver Tongue - (1d20)[18] vs. 9

EDIT: ****!
    Last edited by UserClone; 2008-12-10 at 03:13 PM.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Fiach merely sips some himself, gurgles it and then spits it out, taking several deep breaths. "A distinct and definite improvement. A shame that stuff tastes so horribly disgusting. Oh well, as the bards do say, suffering is the easiest way for the gods to improve you.

Raz looks at Bipin with a serious expression, using the voice bards used at dramatic moments. And don't be silly, Bipin. Bitterleaf is nigh-impossible to see unless you're on hands and knees, harvesting it is dully time-consuming and can frequently slash open one's fingertips to the bone, and can rarely be distinguished from the poisonous Direllabothana plant. At least, distinguished quickly enough to save a life. It's difficult enough for me to do it, and I've had years of training. Trust me, Derrick, one of the first things an adventurer must learn is that everyone has their own specialties - my specialties include being able to harvest Bitterleaf, while yours include your good heart and your masterly strength."

Spoiler
    Show
    Pleasant Wordsmith, to deflect any anger the Drake might have at Bipin, and to help the Drake rationalize not going to help. (d20)[18]

Also, Bardic Training, to ham it up as much as possible. Try reading Fiach's lines in the most ominous, over-the-top voice you've got and give me that free +2. (d20)[19]
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #126

Kendrick

"Nothing is impossible through the power of His Augustness Truly-Conquer-I-Conqueror-Conquering-Swift-Heavenly-Great-Great-Ears! By His glorious majesty, we all could create on us clean skins and teeth. However, cleanliness is dutiful only before bloodshed, therefore let us prepare ourselves in prayer before we begin the slaughter of the enemies of His Augustness Truly-Conquer-I-Conqueror-Conquering-Swift-Heavenly-Great-Great-Ears!"

Spoiler
    Show
    No, I don't mean Derrick, I mean... other enemies. Let's hope that Wilfred's town converts.
    Today’s lesson is brought to you by the number e and the letter 7
    Spoiler
    Show
    A not unblack dog chased a not unsmall rabbit across a not ungreen field.
    - George Orwell, Language and Politics

Awarded 1 Internet by Vuzzmop
    Awesome teacher avatar by Ceika

7. - Top - End - #127

PirateCaptain

(Jeez, the forum diceroller has suddenly taken a disliking to you. Raz, even if I gave you the +2 bonus it wouldn't do a great deal. Also, llama, are you actually threatening the town/Wilfred or making a suggestion?)

The drake scoffs at Bipin. "You sayin' I look ugly? Even tha ugliest of adventurers can be great too! Maybe I should make ya an example!" Growls the drake. Fiach quickly steps in, trying to calm the situation down, but only does the opposite. "BAH! All this talk a cleanliness is stupid! I don't need ya! You'll only steal my fame 'n' glory!" It's nostrils are really flairing now, if you don't do something soon, as in now, the drake's going to lose it.
    I drew this line myself

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Bipin racks his brain, trying to remember a lullaby (Musicianship - (1d20)[10] vs 9) or something (Random Knowledge - (1d20)[9] vs 9) to calm a pissed-off drake.

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Fiach hurriedly bows. "My apologies, Derrick. Among my people, cleanliness is very important. I should have thought about your feelings first. Personally, as long as I can find the artifact to win my beloved's marvelously crimson tender heart, I care not a whit about fortune or glory. You may keep all that we encounter, magnificent Derrick..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Pleasant Wordsmith, don't fail me now... (d20)[6] aiming for 8.

Whew. When I really need it, it comes through for me.
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2008-12-10 at 10:19 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130

PirateCaptain

Bipin remembers that shiny things, especially Gold, calm a drake down. As does Wine, a beautiful woman or a good tavern musical tune. As you rack your brain you can't remember any good lullaby.

Luckily, Fiach's words seem to calm it down. For now at least. "Hmph! Just 'urry up so we can go do somefin'." It walks away a little, grumbling to itself, before coming back and laying down. It's calm, but still a little angry at you.
    I drew this line myself

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

"Why, I know what'll cheer us up! How about a bit o' music?" smiles Bipin as he begins to play a jaunty tune on his lute, dancing a jig in time to the music.

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Whoops, forgot to check.
    Musicianship - (1d20-9)[-2]

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Fiach nods, knowing when not to push his luck any farther. Or the dice roller any farther.
    "You're right, Derrick - they have taken a while to get here. I'll go check on them and make sure this is not one of the fabled towns where the local crops are augmented by human flesh. You never know - the stories have to start somewhere, after all."

Fiach calls up Melenwys and mounts up, turning her to ride to Wilfred's town.

Spoiler
    Show
    THAT WAS NOT A SUGGESTION, DM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134

PirateCaptain

Bipin plays a well known tavern jig and quite well too. The drake listens and smiles, seemingly calmed down some more.

Fiach travels to the small congregation of buildings in the center of the fields. It's quiet, but a few faces peer out of windows and from behind corners. They see you on your horse, knowing the drake is still on their lands and approach you. "What's going on? Have you persuaded the drake to leave yet?" Asks one.

(Remember that Wilfred, Kendrick and Tiffa were actually behind a bush/tree a little out of earshot of the drake, not in the town)
    I drew this line myself

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Fiach smiles warmly at the speaker, ivory teeth flashing in the sunlight. "No, he'll be returning... but with an apology instead of widespread destruction. It appears my fellow travelers have not yet arrived, so allow me to explain.
    Do you happen to have a tavern or inn of some sort? My throat gets very parched after speaking to many people, and it would be an ideal gathering place for me to tell the tale of how we spoke to the great Drake Derrick and awoke the hero in his heart."

Fiach leaps out of the saddle, intent to make a memorable scene.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fey Beauty, to attract attention: (d20)[11]. Target: 8.
    Pleasant Wordsmith, to keep attention and convince them that Derrick won't attack: (d20)[5]. Target: 8.
    Acrobatics, to make an 8-point landing off of the saddle: (d20)[13]. Target: 8.

Can I roll against Bishounen, to make things more interesting? (d20)[19]. Target: 4+.

Weird-looking elf, who convinced them that Derrick wouldn't attack and weirdly stumbled off of her horse.
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2008-12-11 at 11:26 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136

PirateCaptain

(The failed rolls make this scene sound hilarious, +2 to any future roll of your choice)

"Could this be true? Has the strange looking Elf Lady really persuaded the drake to spare us?" Asks the same person, who you're guessing is a town leader of somesort. "Praise be! If what you say is true, you shall have a reward!"

Fiach hops off his saddle, but forgets to properly dismount while trying to show off. He stumbles to the floor, but is caught by big burly hands before his face hits the solid ground. Hauling you up, the man responsible for saving you smiles at you. "'Are you alright my pretty?" He asks, taking your hand an kissing it. He's obviously not so fussy about your looks. Before you have a chance to answer him, the apparent town leader ushers you to what appears to be a small town hall. Inside is a fairly large table. It seems the commotion you caused outside has caused all the townspeople to gather here and they are all seated around the table. There must be about 30 people. The town leader offers you a seat next to him and calls for a young man to fetch some ale. The man who has taken a liking to you sits next to you, smiling and winking at you when you look at him. Once the ale arrives, the town leader calls for hush. "Fair people of Peaceful Fields, we have a new hero and her companions to thank for persuading the drake to spare our fair land." The townspeople cheer. "And now that hero wishes to say something...." The town leader sits and listens to what you are about to say, as do the rest of the townspeople.
    I drew this line myself

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Fiach bows, slipping into the tale-tongue as he begins. "I traveled here with a band of fellow heroes, who met together in a place of respite on their own buisness, when lo! thy humble hirsute hero Wilfred came into the place of respite and began to plead on behalf of his people, speaking of a fell danger that had come upon his town of Peaceful Fields, and that he required heroes to come to his aid and assist him in ridding the town of danger and saving it from harm, and lo! did Fiach son of Gwython stand in that place and spake thus - that he would help Wilfred whatever the danger, and by his side stood the priest Kendrick Celi-digon-briddo-digon-heula-chan-celi-heula-anterth-bendefig-reis-hoda-'n-wridog-digon and the dwarven bard Bipin McSloshed and the fair sorceress Tifa Fellwyn and the outcast demon Almagaer, and they did depart from that place and ride to Peaceful Fields, encountering upon the way a goblin band that had troubled the town overlong, and Fiach son of Gwython son of Blisan spoke well unto the clever-folk and convinced them to come Drake-hunting alongside the heroes, and the same Fiach son of Gwython son of Blisan attempted to scare away the Drake with the threat of violence, and lo! the drake was not filled with fear, nor was his heart moved, and the heroes realized that the drake was not malignant of his own, but that his heart had been broken when a foul dragon the size of Garuln the Golden had taken his home from him and cast him out into the cold with naught a possession to his name, and Fiach son of Gwython son of Blisan spoke unto the drake, and lo! his tongue was nimble and his heart was pure, and he convinced the drake to take the side of virtue and nobility instead of falling along the path that leads to evil and foul demise, and now lo! the drake Derrick wishes to come unto you and repent and apologize and beg forgiveness and grace for his transgression unto you, and when he comes unto you again he will not bring destruction and infernal flame unto thy houses but instead he will come in peace and with the best of intentions, and Fiach scion of Fflam O'Llyan has come before him as a herald and to ensure that the Drake is not molested when he comes again before the most excellent people of Peaceful Fields!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Even though the High Elves are the most amazing bards and writers among all the races, they sadly have never come to the realization that sentances are supposed to actually end more than once per chapter. - Zak Riddlesinger, Chief Bard of the Smithssons.

Pleasant Wordsmith +2 for boasting about himself in the third person: (d20)[15] aiming for 10.
    Fey Beauty, to distract any men in the audience from actually noticing a bad roll : (d20)[4], aiming for 8.

*Facepalm* Well, I think I bored all the women in the audience stiff. All the men in the audience, on the other hand...
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2008-12-15 at 03:22 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show