New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Masque of Dreams

Hearing what the two are saying, Rhadok knows these two are up to no good. His heart burns with rightous fury as he charges around the corner, hammer out to smash whatever it is out there. The night rings with the sound of his voice, shouting, "Feel the might of Bahamut's justice!"

Spoiler
    Show
    If there is a surprise round, I just run 6 squares closer to them.
    Otherwise,
    Inititative:(1d20)[6](6)

2. - Top - End - #32

You all see the other PCs and reasonably deduce that they are about to spring upon the thieves, just as you are. I should have mentioned that in my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSepp
    Kriv draws his blade, determined to keep the two thieves from completing their robbery. Before he alerts them to his presence, he looks around the square for any allies they may have.
    The figures are goblins, dressed in loose robes as if they had just trekked through the desert.

For major OOC talk, we can always recycle the recruitment thread. If anyone thinks that that is inappropriate, feel free to start a thread in the OOC forum and post a link for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One
    Hearing what the two are saying, Rhadok knows these two are up to no good. His heart burns with rightous fury as he charges around the corner, hammer out to smash whatever it is out there. The night rings with the sound of his voice, shouting, "Feel the might of Bahamut's justice!"
    What do Kriv and Rhadrok do during the first normal round? In the future you can post several sets of actions, and tell me which will happen under which circumstances.

TS
    Last edited by Tequila Sunrise; 2008-11-07 at 10:15 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Move Action: Move 4 Hexes to be right above Gob 4
    Minor Action: Dragon Breath. Blast 3, No Opportunity attack, Cold Damage, vs Reflex
    (1d20+6)[16](22) against Goblin 4
    (1d20+6)[17](23) against Goblin 3
    (1d6+2)[1](3) damage on both.

Standard Action: Holy Strike on Goblin 4, Radiant Damage, vs AC
    Attack (1d20+6)[18](24)
    Damage (1d8+4)[1](5)

And, brutal lets me reroll that 1 damage, but I can't do it on an edit, so heres the link. I rolled a 2, so total of 6 Radiant with that hit.
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1801489/
    Last edited by ColdSepp; 2008-11-07 at 10:23 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    First normal round, I move 6 squares closer to them, then charge the rest of the way till I am adjecent to both 3 and 4, attacking 3.
    Attack roll:
    (1d20+5)[3](8)
    Damage:
    (1d10+3)[4](7)

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC thread is here.

And why does the d20 roller hate me so much?
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2008-11-07 at 11:03 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35

Battle Map

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSepp
    Kriv draws his blade, determined to keep the two thieves from completing their robbery. Before he alerts them to his presence, he looks around the square for any allies they may have.
    You see a human in a ridiculous costume, a human in his long-johns and a dwarf in his long-johns. All of them spring into action against the goblins. You yourself are similarly attired. Oh and yes, they definitely are goblins, dressed in loose robes as if they had just trekked through the desert. They each have several javelins hung at their backs.

You gather up a great breath, expel a frost on the two goblins and then close the distance. One of them whips a javelin from behind its back, which just barely slips past your shield. (Your take 7 damage.) You swing and miss wildly with your khopesh, allowing your foe to tumble into a flanking position.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalor
    Hieronymus reacts immediately to the small, lurking figures. His typical reaction would be to analyze the situation, but seeing suspicious lurkers in a town at midnight is generally a cause for alarm.
    Your spell catches one goblin in the back, who lets out a shriek of pain. He stumbles toward you and launches a javelin that wildly misses. The goblin within the temple rushes to his companion’s aid, launching a javelin which tears a hole in your costume. (You take 9 damage.) Turning toward this new threat, your spell strikes true again!

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarg
    Bashir feels an anger rising inside him, determined to stop the thieves, determined to live by his newfound values.

He screams "For Gruntar!"
    You sprint toward the two figures, who finally notice your presence. You fire a bolt into one of the goblins, though you aren’t sure if it struck flesh or just cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One
    Rushing forward, you swing too soon in your zeal and miss wildly.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Bashir lets his hand crossbow fall, and starts running toward the goblins. He reaches for a dagger, and throws it at the goblin closest to him.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Free Action: Drops crossbow

Move action: Move 6 hexes north-east, towards the goblin 4.

Minor Action: Draw a dagger

Standard Action: Sly flourish, moving 2 squares, so im 1 square out of melee range of goblin 4.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+8)[6](14)
    Damage Roll: (1d4+4)[2](6)

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is it possible to update the positions on the map? Its hard to see flanking positions now.
    Last edited by Gnarg; 2008-11-07 at 10:57 PM.
    The Masque of Dreams character: Bashir

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hieronymus whirls his orb again, conjuring a swirl of purple mist. It radiates outward, against the goblin in front of him.
    Spoiler
    Show

Hideous Resonance(Thunderwave) on Goblin 2.
    Attack: (1d20+4)[19] vs. Fortitude
    Damage: (1d6+5)[11]
    Gob2 gets pushed one square away.

Hieronymus then moves until he's two squares inside the temple.
    Last edited by Jalor; 2008-11-08 at 07:14 AM.
    If you need D20 optimization advice or real-life advice, my PM box is always open.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Hail unto thee Jalor, First Favoured of the Carbonation Gods!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    I now confess my undying admiration of Jalor. You are a god amongst men for that surprisingly subtle use of Firefly.

8. - Top - End - #38

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    The battle map is updated. My file manager is acting f'ing bizarre because I uploaded the updated map last night and deleted the old one, but as you saw it still showed the old one. Just now I deleted the new one too, and now it's showing the new one. How it's even possible to view deleted web files, I have no idea.

TS
    Last edited by Tequila Sunrise; 2008-11-08 at 11:24 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Kriv will shift down one, so he is flanking Goblin 3 with Rhad.

Move action = Shift

"Aumauntor's Light strike you!" He cries, striking at him.

Standard action = Holy Strike on Goblin 3

Attack (1d20+8)[23] Damage (1d8+4)[5](9) Radiant.

Minor = Mark Goblin 3

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Rhadok regains his balance and steadies his stance, readying his next swing. He mutters a short prayer to Bahamut for protection as he brings he weapon down on the opponent he just missed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack on goblin 3 using the Priest's Shield. Should I hit, I get a +1 bonus to AC until my next turn.
    Attack:(1d20+7)[20](27)
    Damage:(1d10+3)[9](12)
    EDIT: Ha-ha! Crit hit, awsome. Shame that I pretty much did full damage anyway.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I still only see the unchanged battlemap.I'd suggest uploading the map to imageshack or some similar site and putting the image up in your post under a spoiler tag.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2008-11-08 at 12:33 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Is everyone still seeing the original map? Anyway, let's try photo bucket this time.

Hieronymus Crowley: The target of your first spell stops shivering convulsively. Sprinting behind his companion, he hurls another javelin at you that you only just manage to dive aside from. (You take 6 damage.) Your other foe stumbles sideways and launches a javelin, which grazes your arm. (You take another 5 damage.) Gasping for breath and bleeding, you stumble into the temple to refocus your energy. (The two gobs ended up out of Hideous Resonance range and you were down to 3 hp so I figured you would want to use your Second Wind. Pbp combat is kind of awkward especially since the gobs got generally better initiative than you guys.)

Kriv Warbringer: Your foe takes a stab at you with his javelin, but you block it with your shield and then shatter it with a blow from your khopesh, leaving him with a jagged stick. You move into a flanking position, and only narrowly miss your new target. (I added 2 to the damage you did from Holy Strike’s special bonus, because you would have marked him at the start of your turn.) Feeling your blazing eyes on him, he jabs at you with his javelin, which forces you to leap aside (You take 3 damage.)

Bashir: You sprint toward your foe, letting loose a dagger that whistles through the night air. Unfortunately, your aim is off and it misses by a wide margin. In retrospect, that last pint of ale was probably a mistake.

Rhadok: You bring your hammer down and Bahamut’s visage bites into your foe’s shoulder. He cries out in pain, and looks on the verge of dropping. Out of the corner of your eye, through a smithy window, you see a soft glow appear inside as if someone had lit a candle.

TS

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Assuming Kriv finishes off Goblin 3:
    Rhadok, noticing the dragonborn and bald-headed human joining the fight against the would-be thieves, nods respectfully to the dragonborn for his takedown of the first goblin. He then turns his attention the other one. As Rhadok runs at the goblin, his hammer begins to glow, the eyes and teeth of Bahamut's face most of all. With a yell, he swings his hammer at the goblin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving to the hex between Bashir and goblin 4, attacking it using Healing Strike, allowing Kriv to use a healing surge if I hit, also marking goblin 4.
    Attack:(1d20+5)[7](12)
    Damage:(2d10+3)[2][4](9)

If Goblin 3 is still up by my turn:
    Rhadok notices the dragonborn and bald-headed human joining the fight against the would-be thieves, glad to have some allies. The goblin in front of him feels his hammer again, and once more he asks for Bahamut's protection.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attacks goblin 3 with Priest's Shield again.
    Attack:(1d20+7)[7](14)
    Damage:(1d10+3)[7](10)

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    and 2 swings and misses. Though since they seem to have ACs of 24/25, I didn't really have a good chance of hitting anyway. I do see the updated map though now.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2008-11-08 at 07:29 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

If Goblin 3 is still up, I Holy Strike him again

Hit(1d20+8)[24] Damage (1d8+4)[8](12)

Otherwise, I shift one square and attack goblin 4.

Hit (1d20+8)[27] Damage (1d8+4)[8](12)

14. - Top - End - #44

Reverent-One made an excellent point, so here is the initiative order:

Gob1
    Gob4
    Kriv Warbringer
    Gob2
    Gob3
    Hieronymus Crowley
    Bashir
    Rhadok

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Bashir moves next to Goblin 4, grabs another dagger and stabs the goblin.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Minor action - Draw a dagger

Move Action - If goblin 4 moves into my melee range, I will shift around him so im standing next to him at the south side. If gob 4 moves into melee range of kriv or rhad, I will try to shift around him to flank, or move if he isnt in my range.

Standard Action - Tortuous Strike
    Attack Roll - (1d20+8)[15](23) (+11 if I can get combat advantage)
    Damage Roll - (2d4+7)[1][2](10)
    Sneak Attack - (2d8+3)[2][3](8) (only if I can get combat advantage)

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry I was so inactive this weekend, had IRL dnd taking up alot of time :(.
    Last edited by Gnarg; 2008-11-09 at 07:10 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Hieronymus remains in the temple, calming himself and tending his wounds.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard: Spend second wind.

Also, can we post in initiative order from now on? It gets confusing otherwise.
    If you need D20 optimization advice or real-life advice, my PM box is always open.
    I now confess my undying admiration of Jalor. You are a god amongst men for that surprisingly subtle use of Firefly.

17. - Top - End - #47

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the delay everyone, I wanted to post yesterday afternoon but the forums seemed to crash on my end at least. Oh and, Gnarg, I am so jealous! Also, we will be having one more PC join us after this fight is over.

Battle Map

Kriv: A goblin begins moving into a flanking position, swings at you, and misses wildly. With a mighty swing of your khopesh, you cleave the other goblin in twain.

Hieronymous: (I’m going to assume that you’re delaying.)

Bashir: You narrowly avoid a hurled javelin to your head. (Take 9 damage.) Moving into a flanking position, you expertly slide a dagger into your foe’s lung so that he drops with but a wheeze.

Rhadok: A goblin hurls a javelin that strikes the wall an inch from your back. (Take 5 damage.) With no foes left nearby, you charge the one that threw a javelin at you. Bahamut’s attention seems to be elsewhere at the moment, because he soundly dodges your swing.

The two remaining goblins suddenly look like they would rather be in the middle of a sandstorm than facing you all down.
    Last edited by Tequila Sunrise; 2008-11-12 at 08:54 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Since it looks like you missed it, Jalor said he was using a second wind. Also, I think posting in intitiaive order isn't a bad idea either.

19. - Top - End - #49

Kriv will move 5 closer to the goblins, and use his second wind.

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Since it looks like you missed it, Jalor said he was using a second wind. Also, I think posting in intitiaive order isn't a bad idea either.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I had Hieronymous use his second wind during the previous round when he dropped to 3 hp and was out of range for the power he wanted to use. I think Jalor's MIA 'cause I sent him a message saying so on Monday. If he doesn't post by the time his initiative comes around, I'll have him come out to zap goblins.

TS

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Bashir tastes victory, and charges the nearest goblin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action : move 6 hexes closer to goblin 1

Standard Action: Charge goblin 1
    Attack roll - (1d20+8)[13](21)
    Damage Roll - (1d4+3)[3](6)
    Last edited by Gnarg; 2008-11-12 at 06:53 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Rhadok attempts to land a blow on the goblin again, shouting, "Bahamut take these goblins!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Priest's Shield, targetting Goblin 1.
    (1d20+5)[17](22)
    (1d10+3)[5](8)

23. - Top - End - #53

Both remaining goblins dash away in full flight. As the nearest one turns his back on Rhadok, the dwarf lands a glancing blow on his back. Then a bolt leaps from the temple of Aumantor and strikes the same goblin, who immediately begins shivering convulsively. Finally, Bashir hurls a dagger at a goblin’s retreating back. It is a poor throw, but luck is with the heroes! You hear a hollow thud as Bashir’s dagger connects with the back of his skull, apparently hilt-first, and the goblin topples over.

The last goblin unfortunately disappears into the desert night.

Congratulations, you won your first fight and you weren't even armored! Before we get to the meat of this adventure, I'll give you all the opportunity to deal with your [possible] prisoner.
    Last edited by Tequila Sunrise; 2008-11-12 at 09:19 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Bashir sighs with relief. He looks around at his allies, and says "You fought well my friends, I'm honored to stand next to you in battle" He goes to the bodies, and collects his daggers, searching the bodies for clues what they were doing here.

Afterwards he sits down on the stairs of the temple, and bandages his wounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bashir spends 2 healing surges.
    Perception for searching the bodies: (1d20+5)[10](15)
    Last edited by Gnarg; 2008-11-12 at 09:25 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

"Same to you, that was an especially good shot with your dagger on this one, knocking him out cold." Rhadrok says to the human, pointing at the one at his feet. "Greetings to you all, I am Rhadrok, cleric of Bahamut." Motioning the dragonborn over, he says, "Mind giving me a hand restraining this one? I'll wake him up and see what these four were after."

Assuming Kriv does so:
    With a short prayer to Bahamut, Rhadrok channels divine energy into the Goblin ((Using Healing Word)). As the goblin wakes with a start, Rhadrok warns him, "I wouldn't try any funny business if I were you, otherwise my friend here with deal with you. Now, what were you and your friends after tonight?"
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2008-11-12 at 09:44 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

OOC: Forgot to put this in the last post.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate check if need be, though given the circumstances, I doubt he'd hold much back.
    (1d20+1)[8]

27. - Top - End - #57

Spoiler
    Show
    I posted and used my second wind. My post was right before yours; see my fire-guy avatar?

28. - Top - End - #58

Bashir finds a white opal necklace with a broken chain stuffed into one of the dead goblin's pockets. Other than that, he finds only the leather armor that each goblin wears and a sheaf of five javelins each.

At this point, the black smith finally opens the door to his smithy. He wears his nightclothes and wields a lantern and a large hammer raised to attack. Seeing the goblin bodies and you all gathered nearby, he lowers his hammer and says "Looks like I'm late to this party. Thanks for cleaning up these tumbleweeds."

In response to Rhadrok's questioning, the goblin only cries pathetically and mumbles "We was only finding pretties...just finding pretties and not waking up nice humanses..." You find yourself not trusting him, because he can only stare at the ground while he answers you.

Jalor:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out post #41 where I used your second wind. If you'd rather that I just delay your action if I don't know what you want to do, or have some other default action, that's cool. Just let me know.

29. - Top - End - #59

Kriv carefully cleans his sword, then sheathes it, before addressing the blacksmith. "Any ideas what they might have been after?"

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Bashir greets the blacksmith with a nod. "It's our pleasure sir, my name is Bashir.". He collects the bodies in a pile and says "We have to bury their corpses, we can't leave them here. And we can throw the one that's alive in the hole with them, unless he starts talking."

He puts the medallion is his backpack and leaves the rest on the bodies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bashir tries to intimidate the goblin with his remark.
    (1d20+1)[18](19)