New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Vote Up a Campaign Setting (3E/4E)

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    The direction we're planning with wizardry makes it near-impossible for one person to learn from another, and highly impractical to teach in a wizard school. Otherwise, I agree, it's certainly plausible.
    I can understand the lack of schools, but it still seems that in many cases, aside from some self experimentation, those who could use magic or want to would seek one with the knowledge to do so. Even if magic is something that requires a particular trait, a wizard could see that trait in someone and choose to teach them. It just seems that magic would have to be handed down to progress, and most likely it would be done between individuals. Though there isn't too much of an issue if that is not the case.

Certainly not "bad," but as an antagonist, shouldn't it by definition be "seen as bad?"
    Not at all. By definition, the antagonist is the primary opposition of the protagonist. This usually results in a polarized comparison of the two, one evil and one good, but doesn't require such. If the story were of someone trying to achieve some award, the antagonist could just as easily be their best friend who is also going for the award as some evil stranger. It is just a matter of who is the one more likely to prevent them from doing so (as in the one with the best chance of getting it them self).
    Thus, magic could be something that no one is particularly opinionated on, but when it comes to getting things done, it cad be quite a hassle to deal with when put together with all the other threats. It could also be something that the average man never has problems with as they aren't going out and adventuring everywhere. They may even find it helpful if they have some around to benefit them (such as maybe make the well keep flowing with crystal clear cool water). In many stories from Arabian Nights (many, many stories), women used magic to curse the protagonist. Grouped together, you could argue that the magic was thus the primary antagonist (individually the women cursing would probly take that title, but then in the vote you couldn't choose something so specific). This didn't mean people hated magic. But it was a big obstacle for the person cursed. And despite having the experience of being cursed by a women, almost all (if not all) of the men still married women with magic knowing they had it (normally the ones who removed the curse, but still...). In that, despite being the primary antagonist, there was no ill will toward it. Hence my dislike of the idea that magic is oppressed (that and I like the idea of almost every woman being willing to pull out a spell from who knows where to curse you just cuz she's jealous of some other girl being near you, or you being near some guy as the case may be).

That is incorrect. It is by no means extraordinarily present, but it crops up often and ranges from inconvenience to peril.

I hope I've put some of your fears to rest, Owrtho?
    Thats good to know.

The seventh race will not be custom. And it will not be elves. They, too, would lack that "certain something" that's missing in the current racial selection.
    Would that "certain something" happen to be the small size, or a tendancy toward stealth?

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

2. - Top - End - #992
    Ogre in the Playground

Fair enough. Is it the good kind of sneaky?
    Assuming this seventh race turns out to be as awesome as the rest of this setting looks to be, I suppose so.

Because admittedly, I deliberately left a 7% hole in the final racial tally and have been bleeding clues to that effect since it was posted.
    I really should have caught that. I used to do things like add percents up to see if they worked out for no particular reason other than to be meticulous. I think being out of school for so long has been bad for me.

It makes me smile?
    Why should you get to smile? I mean, just because you and your colleagues are creating a campaign setting for our use and letting us have input in essentially every stage of design, and not requiring anything in return? And giving out free homebrews to those who correct your so-called "errors"? You think that means you should get to do things that make you smile?

Well, I suppose you're right.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho
    I can understand the lack of schools, but it still seems that in many cases, aside from some self experimentation, those who could use magic or want to would seek one with the knowledge to do so.
    Indeed. That need not (read: will not) be a fellow wizard. However, you've hit the nail on the head regarding our plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho
    Not at all. By definition, the antagonist is the primary opposition of the protagonist. This usually results in a polarized comparison of the two, one evil and one good, but doesn't require such.
    That's what we're aiming for. "Sorcerers" are feared because they are considered to be men who use magic for personal gain (as few have seen magic used publicly to help others.) Meanwhile, supernatural creatures inspire either annoyance or fear. Magic is not necessarily evil, but the public will not think of magic as "good." That said, were a peasant to find a genie's lamp, he'd be quite happy to get the three wishes, or what have you.

Do you kind of understand what I'm driving at?

They may even find it helpful if they have some around to benefit them (such as maybe make the well keep flowing with crystal clear cool water).
    This sort of thing will be pretty rare.

In many stories from Arabian Nights (many, many stories), women used magic to curse the protagonist.
    Entirely true and entirely funny. I did attempt to stick in a prestige class to that effect (the Jezebel) but it was voted down. If a woman wants to curse her husband, then believe me there will be ways.

Hence my dislike of the idea that magic is oppressed
    It is not - it's rare, not easy for mortals to access and usually used by those with intent to annoy, at the very least. There will be benevolent magic-users, and there will be no oppression of wizardry.

Would that "certain something" happen to be the small size, or a tendancy toward stealth?
    That is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Juhn
    Assuming this seventh race turns out to be as awesome as the rest of this setting looks to be, I suppose so.
    I happen to like them. And as I said, I think they'll add a great flavor to the streets of our cities.

I really should have caught that.
    Everyone really should have caught that, since I posted it twice. And tagged it with clues.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2008-11-23 at 04:42 PM.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Titan in the Playground

Hello all. I am back at good ol' Aperture Science once again, and the computer-limiting powers of France have let go their hold on me.

I just wanted to put out there that Zeta and Afro did a super-special-awesome job with extremely limited help from myself.

I also wanted to throw out that the 4e content may or may not (hmwrk allowing) include more PPs/EDs from the voted list than the 3.X content (up to my co-conspirators), since in 4e a PP/ED is vital, whereas 3.X's PrCs are optional.

I also plan to add some sort of exclusive 4e only bonus content. What it is has not been decided yet.
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2008-11-23 at 04:40 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

5. - Top - End - #995
    Troll in the Playground

Vote for Saberdusk! (As in, I am, and you should too!)
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2008-11-23 at 04:51 PM.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh dear. Halflings? Well, assuming they're properly flavoured (and nothing like kender), then I figure they could turn out alright. We don't really have any "traveling merchant" races, do we? I could see halfling caravans, though the whole city-states thing might get in the way of that.
    Last edited by Juhn; 2008-11-23 at 04:48 PM.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Titan in the Playground

Not so much halflings, no.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Ogre in the Playground

Now you've got me thinking of other small races. Surely not kobolds, as you repeatedly insisted they weren't an option... Unless, that was because they were already included?

Also, Saberdusk.
    Last edited by Juhn; 2008-11-23 at 04:51 PM.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Bugbear in the Playground

Is it goblins or dwarves? Because I still think that sand dwarves are a great idea.
    I used to do avatars on request, feel free to use them.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Ogre in the Playground

...Please don't let it be dwarves. My elves got denied, and Dwarves didn't make it in either (thankfully). But they're neither small nor sneaky.

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Juhn View Post
    Now you've got me thinking of other small races. Surely not kobolds, as you repeatedly insisted they weren't an option... Unless, that was because they were already included?

Also, Saberdusk.
    I was wondering when you'd actually vote, Juhn.

12. - Top - End - #1002

My vote is for Desert Blood.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Ogre in the Playground

Is it one of the races in this list?
    Norker, Kenku, Phanaton, Domovoi, or Gruwaar

Also, does it have an LA?

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Titan in the Playground

None of them.

And it does not have an LA.

That will be my final word on the subject until the announcement.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Ogre in the Playground

I was wondering when you'd actually vote, Juhn.
    Yeah, it looks like I've forgotten to vote a couple of times now: including the PrC vote. I'd have liked to have had an influence on that - Jezebel would have gotten another vote, for one thing. But then, when it comes to single-gender PrCs I've seen several female ones and only one male one - which requires your character be castrated, no less - so I suppose in one way it's not so bad that they were left out. The name really doesn't mean all that much to me, (for one thing I can change it at my leisure if I ever decide to run a game in this setting; I doubt you fine folks would get mad at me or anything over that) but I figured I'd missed too many votes as it is.

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Titan in the Playground

"Eunuch" was never under consideration.

"Sand Magus" was originally "Sand Witch," though, until...

and yeah, that was me.

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Ogre in the Playground

With regard to names, I'm amazed that so few of them relate to magic and/or djinni, considering how heavily they seem to be playing in the flavour of this setting.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Ogre in the Playground

So, its none of those, and it's an official race... Well, those were all (or atleast most of) the small races with favored class rogue excluding gnome, kobold, and halfling subtypes. So, it could be one of those or some small race withought favored class rogue.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Titan in the Playground

As I said, can't comment any further on that one until the announcement.

Anything else, though, feel free.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Orc in the Playground

Ah! I forgot to send in a name suggestion.

And it was kinda a good one too... ah well, I guess I'll just vote for Alhorus simply because it doesn't actually mean anything, bar the Horus bit, and because it doesn't make me think of a certain blue shapeshifter.
    If I had a +1 Pan of Frying I could totally do that!

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Ogre in the Playground

I notice two of our (confirmed) races have an ECL of +3, specifically lizardfolk and gnolls. Any word on the ECL/LA of the homebrewed races?

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Titan in the Playground

Gnoll LA is +1 per the Monster Manual.

Ditto Lizardfolk.

Both will be tinkered with in any event.

Zeta Kai is doing the Half-Ghul and Half-Djinn, so I'll ask him.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Ogre in the Playground

ECL also includes Racial HD, which is two in both of those cases if I'm correct. This, plus their +1 LA, adds up to +3

Also, I keep forgetting that you guys didn't invent Genasi. What's the ECL on those? (Though, they're probably being tinkered with as well).

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Titan in the Playground

Probably LA +1 and no racial HD.

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'll vote for Hourglass of God.

I think it would be cool if there was a big emphasis on the god/God.

You know, Church adventures and stuff. (Schisms? Facets?)

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Ogre in the Playground

Probably LA +1 and no racial HD.
    I'm figuring this, or something similar, will be the case with Lizardmen and Gnolls as well, so as to make them reasonably even with everyone else?

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Ogre in the Playground

The hourglass could also be used to emphasize the two planes (one being to top of the hourglass and one being the bottom). The only issue with that is it might lead to the idea of one plane being the afterlife... But that is a minor issue which will hopefuly not be the case.

I though the Desert Blood was a good name as many of the races are from humans breeding with the mystical elements of the desert. Thus the desert blood.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Titan in the Playground

I'm expecting all races will end up around ECL 0 or 1. We'll see, though.

29. - Top - End - #1019

I'm throwing a vote at Hourglass of God.
    I used to do avatars on request, feel free to use them.

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Firbolg in the Playground

I happen to like them. And as I said, I think they'll add a great flavor to the streets of our cities.
    Ratfolk?90
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.