New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Against Methodia (IC)

You are sitting a secretaries office, waiting to answer a summons from Strytra Achepet, the commander of Gatewatch and the army guarding the gate. A low noise sounds from the closed door across from you and the secretary stands up, walks over to the door and enters it. She returns almost immediately and smiles.

She ushers you warmly into the doorway. Strytra is waiting for you in the spartan office standing and shows you to a few chairs set up across his desk before retaking his seat. He is an old aasimar, still lean with exercise and sharp eyes. "Thank you all for coming," he begins, "I have a job that I need done, and I need it done outside of the normal hierarchy for the army. As I'm sure you know, the Gate has been quiet for some time now, and we're expecting a big push sometime soon. Gatewatch, however, is where our concern lies primarily."

He stops and points to a mountain of papers on his desk, neatly arranged and aligned. "We've been noticing a rise in arson; specifically against military and supply targets. We need you to take a look and find out what you can and take care of this problem if possible, and if not, call us for reinforcements and lead us to flush out the problem. You will, of course be repaid for your services, should you accept."

He pauses again, "Feel free to take some time to talk and think about this, I realize most of you don't know each other, but please don't take too long, and if you decide against it, I trust I'll have your word this remains a secret."
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    Though necromancy would solve the second problem and render the third irrelevant...
    But then you'd be dealing with explosive zombie fish, which is... pretty damn awesome, actually.
    As they pounded in the stake
    I thought I heard them say
    “Become like us or you will be slain”

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Against Methodia (IC)

Zach

My duty lies in protecting the citizens. To do that, I am under the orders of the gatewatch hierachy.

If you so choose to deem me most effective stopping this problem, then I will go.

I accept your terms and conditions. Nor shall I tell anyone about it.
    Last edited by Deathslayer7; 2008-11-10 at 10:26 PM.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jason Ythera

Jason stares blankly ahead, jumping as the door opens and closes. He appears spaced out, staring foreward. When the Commander offer the task at hand, Jason looks slowly up at him, and whispers with a raspy voice.
    "I suppose I don't... have as much freedom with... this choice as others..."
    Last edited by AetherFox; 2008-11-10 at 07:46 PM.
    Natural 20's: 1
    Natural 1's: 0
    As of 9/30/09

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Well, I don't see any particular reason to decline this job. Commande Rolt glances around at the others and squints his eyes. Every job has its difficulties, I suppose. I look forward to being bound to these two other people and four creatures for this mission. Rolt sighs slightly in exasperation. Hope the pay for this job is good.
    Last edited by BoomerangFlash; 2008-11-10 at 09:56 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Nestor Loch

With a deliberate and dispassionate voice, the grim and gruff human-like creature says, "Anything for the good of Basileia Agathos and its honorable people." He assents with a bow of his head before retreating back into the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    Smacking your teammate in the face is always a free action.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Misenbach Wolfgang

The half orc shifted his bare feet a bit, tapping the floor. The chairs were actually a bit unusual for him - they were short enough for him to touch the ground, but not short enough for his typical sitting position. As a response, he occasionally readjusted his footing, trying unconsciously to get comfortable.

He hadn't been asked to, and thus wasn't wearing a shirt - he was extremely muscular as was typical for his kind. His thick brown pants were long and very well made, and his red eyes focused on the others in the room - just for a moment apiece.

Out of one of the multitude of pockets he had on his pants, an extremely small lizard poked his head out - it was maybe two inches long. The moment it realized it was being looked at it, it timidly dove back into the sanctity therein.

Wolfgang inhaled, and released his breath before speaking - his voice fairly jovial. "Doesn't seem like ya got no objections for yer job - if it's military problems, den dat sounds like someone's preparin' t'attack."

He paused, placing one hand to his chin and idly toying with his thick beard - he had quite a bit of body hair and a thick (albiet very short) full beard. "But yer right 'bout one thing - I don't think I've met most o'dese people b'fore. Name's Misenbach Wolfgang, glad t'help."

His accent seemed partly dwarven - although it was still the broken common many orcs spoke. He leaned back a bit, keeping an eye on Rolt in particular after his statement, waiting for others to introduce themselves.
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

7. - Top - End - #7

Roderick looked around, he knew that he was going to accept the offer, however, he was not too certain about the team though, as he looked around observing, though unsure how competent or how smooth the mission would be, Roderick was certain that as long as everyone did their job, there was no reason why they should fail. Smiling to himself, he says " I am willing to take up this mission, hopefully, everything would run smoothly."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

He smiles, "Good, now we've already found a lead for you; one Hest le'Der. He normally operates out of the Merchants quarter, so I would look for him there. Start by trying to observe him and find out if he'll lead you to the headquarters. Afterwards, apprehend him and move one from there."

He pulls out a sealed envelope, bulging slightly on one side. "This is a letter empowering you with authority to do almost anything you want to down there, however, you will be answerable to me over its use."

He smiles to lighten the mood a little. "Now I'll let you go and start. Come back if you hit a wall or are completed." The old commander stands up and helps you out to a waiting paladin who starts to lead you out of the building.
    Spoiler
    Show

Though necromancy would solve the second problem and render the third irrelevant...
    But then you'd be dealing with explosive zombie fish, which is... pretty damn awesome, actually.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Nestor Lock (Elan)

As they leave, he says to the others, "My name is Nes, and my psionic powers are at your disposal." Drawing from some pool of spying knowledge whose source had long since disappeared, he suggests, "Large numbers, even in the Merchants quarter, may look suspicious. Perhaps two or three of us will go there while the others can try to find out more by asking around -- maybe visit the less reputable parts of the city or talk to those that saw the fires at the military and supply sites."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rolt Strakeln

Rolt stares at the ground for a bit, thinking, before clearing his throat and saying, "I don't know about you things, but I do best at muscling information out of people. I can't really see so well, so I'd appear to be really conspicuous actively looking through a crowd to locate him. Rolt pauses for a moment, then speaks up again: "I don't know anything about any of you, so it's really up to you to how you think your abilities would best be used.
    Last edited by BoomerangFlash; 2008-11-11 at 09:43 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Jason Ythera

Jason shifts a little uncomforably in his seat.
    "I... I suppose I could go... People, they tend to cooperate... with me a lot."
    His eyes flicker around the room as he says this, never resting on one person for more then a second. His face lightens as he looks out the window and sees Viterus, his hawk, looking in.
    As of 9/30/09

12. - Top - End - #12

"I can check out with the locals about the events that has happened, and if there is a need, I can help out in the negotiating table too. Oh and by the way, my name is Roderick." AS Roderick speaks, he tries to recall whatever he can about Hest le'Der

Spoiler
    Show
    Bardic Knowledge check:(1d20+12)[22]

13. - Top - End - #13

Jason Ythera

"Right... I'm Jason."
    As of 9/30/09

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Zach listens to the others aruge on what to do, staying quiet himself. He listens to them try and plan out what they want to do.

When others start introducing themselves, Zach introduces himself as well.

You may call me Zach he says simply to the group. But I cannot allow you to capture Hest le'Der by yourself. I suggest we strictly gather information for the day, then plan on what to do next.

This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nalini nodded slowly. "This is obviously a job that will require some subtlety. Charging in with hardly a thought won't help at all. Does this man have a address?"
    Last edited by Mr.Bookworm; 2008-11-12 at 01:04 PM.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm not da best at stealth m'self. But most people won't notice a lil' lizard keep'n to'mself, so I can just 'ave Halt 'ere follow'm - either on his person, or 'elping whomever ends up findin' him."

At the term 'Halt', the lizard that had ventured out for another look dove back into the pocket and remained there firmly. Wolfgang smiled.

"I like th'idea of keepin' a low profile, Nes, and yer right too Zach." He said, in large part to try his tongue around the names - which came fairly easily. "Not too much for recon m'self, though, so I'll 'ave t'jus support someone else."
    Last edited by Kantolin; 2008-11-12 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Forgot colors...
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

So it is agreed then? Strictly observation only? Keep interaction to a minimal. I cannot be responsible for all of you, but I wish to keep casualities to a minimal, both us and civillians.

So gather any information you can about this man. Use your resources. I'm sure some of you know people who know something about him. Zach smiles slightly as he says this.

We shall meet at The Wandering Inn you are done. I'll go there now and have rooms arranged for us. Just tell the innkeeper that your are a friend of Zach's and she will give you a key.

Any objections?

18. - Top - End - #18

Jason Ythera

Jason nodds and turns his attantion to the general.
    "Do we know... where this man... Hest... lives?"
    Last edited by AetherFox; 2008-11-12 at 08:37 PM.
    As of 9/30/09

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

ooc: i thought we already left the general?

we only know that he operates out of the merchant district Jason. It would be best to do your searching for him there.

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show

i also assume we have a description of him?
    Last edited by Deathslayer7; 2008-11-12 at 08:40 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Jason Ythera

Jason stands up and gives an ackward sort of bow to Zach.
    "Very well then... I will do... as you ask. Permission to leave... general?"
    Last edited by AetherFox; 2008-11-12 at 08:43 PM.
    As of 9/30/09

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I am no general Jason, nor do I have any control over you. But know that if the general calls me out on any trouble you do, I will call you out on it personally. Then neither of us will be happy.

That goes for all of you. Do I make myself clear? *hard stare at all of you without blinking*

If there are no more objections, then I will go get our rooms ready.
    Last edited by Deathslayer7; 2008-11-12 at 08:53 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Nes feels oddly comfortable being ordered around. He places his hand underneath his necklace, whose central stone suddenly comes to life. It sprouts legs and jumps onto Nes's hand. "I'm off to the Merchants Quarter, then."

He turns and leaves.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Zach will open the letter of authority and read out loud the entire letter.

24. - Top - End - #24

"Ok, I'm fine with it." Roderick says, then, turning towards Nes he hurries to catch up, "You mind if I join you to the merchant's quarter's? I think it may be good if we try to hide our tracks when gathering information, I've heard that Hest le'Der has people out there to 'take care' of him, and I'm sure that would mean the news of people trying to find him would reach his ears if we are not careful."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

"By order of Strytra Achepet,

The bearers of this letter act in my name concerning the matter of the recent arson and vandalisms. Offer your full cooperation in accordance with the law.

By the Lord Holos Bonos,
    Strytra Achepet"

Inside the envelope there is a rough sketch of a human male with a short beard and short hair. A scar runs along one cheek lightly.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Jason Ythera

Jason steps out into the sunlight and winces slightly as it hits his unnaturally pale skin. He whistles three low notes, and watches as Viterus, his faithful companion, comes flying towards him.
    [SYLVAN]"You're here, Viterus, good. The General... he wants me to follow... a man. Your help here... would be ideal. Can you fly up, and look for this man?"[/SYLVAN] Jason sends a picture of the man through their empathetic link.
    [SYLVAN]"Thank-you Viterus... I don't know what I'd do... without you."[/SYLVAN]
    Viterus gives a small caw, then flies into the sky.

With Viterus gone, Jason moves towards the others and says,
    "I will... move through the market area... on my own, so we... draw less attention. Should we meet up... let us go to the closest public area... to tell what we know."
    Last edited by AetherFox; 2008-11-12 at 09:43 PM.
    As of 9/30/09

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Mind if we do a little history magic and say that both Nes and Roderick got a chance to see the sketch?

Nes greets Rodericks questions with silence. Instead Roderick hears a clear, but stilted voice in his head.

Spoiler
    Show

"I don't mind at all, Roderick. And don't be alarmed -- I'm talking to you through my psicrystal that's in my hand. From here on out, talk to me by thinking of my crystal, and it will get to me. It will help us cover our tracks and make sure that people don't see us working together. The only catch is that you need to be close to the crystal to do so. In fact...

The crystal jumps off Nes's hand onto Roderick and begins to scuttle around.

Spoiler
    Show

"Need a new cloak clasp? He can also just hide in your pocket, but if he's somewhere on your person, it can relay to me what you're seeing."

Nes continues to keep his eyes in front of him, barely acknowledging Roderick's presence outwardly.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Zach will go to the wandering woman and order 4 rooms for their party. He hands her a few gold pieces in addition.

Please have dinner ready for us, and if possible, may we use the private dining table?

Of course replied the innkeeper

Thank you.

With that settled, Zach will then head to the Church's temple, and gather as much information as he can. (Take 20, all day.) (which is a result of 20).

He will also try to remember what little he know about the nobles.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+2)[14]

29. - Top - End - #29

Jason Ythera

Jason walks down the streets attempting to keep an eye and ear out for any signal of the man, as does Viterus.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jason:
    (1d20+3)[16]- Listen
    (1d20+3)[7]- Spot

Viterus:
    (1d20+4)[19]- Listen
    (1d20+16)[35]- Spot
    As of 9/30/09

30. - Top - End - #30

The bard was surprise by this turn of events, it would definitely make things easier, doing what Nes had instructed, the bard took out a cloak and uses the hood to cover his face, he goes in the opposite direction of Nes, telling him through thought: I'll go to the western part of the merchant's district, and see what I can find, we'll meet up in an hour's time at the northern district, probably at a shop or something like that, thanks to your psionic powers, this would not be any trouble then, well, wish me luck.

And with that, Roderick moves towards the western side of the merchant's district, listening and questioning about Hest le'Der, though he tries to be as subtle as possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Information check:(1d20+9)[15]
    And in order to prevent Hest le'Der's men from realising that people are starting to search for him, a Bluff check to come up with a story and possibly escape notice: (1d20+3)[9]