New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Caravans

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The Caravans

As your two respective Caravans move into the last big clearing before Redo, They spot each other and a joyous shout goes up. About once every three years, apparently, the Daggerclan and the Big Cats cross paths, and there's an impromptu party being set up, right here in the middle of the wilderness.

From the Daggerclan, you can see a non-halfling- a human, in fact, who seems to give off a slight, maybe imagined, radiance. He has a holy symbol of Ra hanging around his neck, and a longsword with a gold-leafed sheath at his hip.

From the Big Cat's caravan, you can see a human man traveling with them, though he is dressed in halfling-like finery: studded leather in earth tones, and the glint of the wild in his eye (though the surety of the city in his step.)
    Look! It's me!
    The Fey Archer (made for my fiance, many years ago.)
    Savannah gets the awesome credit for my John Locke avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Caravans

Breka smirks as he sees the halflings starting to form a party, probably on account of the meeting. Nomads crossing paths is always cause for celebration, at least among nomads. He was quick to spot the human in the other caravan... preachy type, from the look.

He wasn't the law, though, or at least not an enforcer of it. Breka smiled at the devotee of... Ra, apparently, and and raised his arm and flicked his wrist in a wave to get his attention. He knew there was stuff halflings didn't want nonhalflings hearing, so he figured he'd be a considerate guest and distract his fellow human while the clans caught up. "Hey, there!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Hello there. Adwar raises a hand in greeting, and then pushes his black hair out of his eyes. I'm Adwar, what's your name?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Breka approaches, careful to stay clear of the intermingling halflings to avoid stumbling over someone or getting a pocket picked by some young halfling who wouldn't think of what an impact picking on passengers would have on the business of acquiring passengers. "Name's Breka. I guess I'm not the only one headin' for Redo?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I guess not. Why are you heading in? Adwar glances around the party, vaguely impatient.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Breka waves a hand dismissively, glancing over the party before turning his attention back to Adwar. "Eh, you know how it goes. Step on the wrong set of toes, wear out your welcome, need to move to the next town over. You?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adwar smiles knowingly. Eh, traveling preist. I've heard about some... problems in Redo.

8. - Top - End - #8

"Redo?" an adolescent halfling nearby pops in between you two, tearing his attention from a group of girls from the other clan. "That's where we're both headed! What kind of trouble is it?"
    Look! It's me!

9. - Top - End - #9

Err, hello? Is there anybody out there?
    Look! It's me!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Liriel will stick her head out of a wagon. Asking the nearest halfing why did we stop so suddenly and where were we?
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

*sorry, bad week*

Adwar smiles beatifically. Don't it's just something to do with the local church to Ra. I'm not exactly sure, but I'm going to go find out what needs doing, and then I'll do it.

12. - Top - End - #12

A child is nearby to answer Liriel's question. "We're at a clearing, a druidic circle clearing. Halflings have freedom to use them as resting points, as long as we clean up after ourselves. And, the Big Cats Clan is here! We haven't seen them in quite a while!"
    The halfling then in conspiritorily and says, "All the grown-ups try to get married to The Big Cats. They have lots of pretty girls." The boy then runs over to the growing group of children.

"Whatbears ill for the Traveling Gods bears ill for the Halflings," says the halfling to Adwar with a grim look.
    Look! It's me!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Did you hear that Aragar. The Big Cats are here! Let's go see one! she seems excited at the fact of a big cat.

This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

14. - Top - End - #14

Outside, the general mood is merriment; casks of wine are being rolled out, fires are being started early, and many halflings are breaking out their race's favorite insturment, the fiddle. Along the borders, well-trained big cats, including leopards and lions, are lined up with rope on peculiarly-shaped saddles. On the opposite end, riding dogs frolick with some children less than half their size. Many groups are forming, one of elders, one of dancers (near the fiddlers and singers), one of children, one of tradesmen, and one of merry-makers.
    Look! It's me!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adwar smiles again. Don't worry kid, as long as you and I keep doing good, the Traveling God travels with us. Now, which one of those girls are you going to ask to dance first?
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2008-11-20 at 12:00 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Aragar wakes from his nap. "Big cats? Are we under attack?" He grabs his equipment, thinking that he'll need to take out some aggressive animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    Smacking your teammate in the face is always a free action.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

No she said. We arrived here at a local druid's circle, and the Big Cats are here. Let's go meet them.

She will then jump off the wagon, and wait for Aragar

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Breka turns his attention to the new arrivals, who seem to be approaching the caravan he caught a ride with. "More guests of the Dagger clan, or locals?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Aragar still brings his weaponry, but keeps his armor in the wagon. He answers, "Guests, I guess. Aragar -- here to help out the people of Redo." He reaches out his thick-fingered hand in greeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    Smacking your teammate in the face is always a free action.

20. - Top - End - #20

Adwar
    The halfling blushes, and hurries off with a polite, "Blessings of Ra upon you," before he joins the circle of dancers.
    Look! It's me!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

And on you. Adwar watches him for a few moments more and then turns to the newcomers. What kind of help?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Breka tilts his head toward Adwar with a mischievious smile. "Help with problems, perhaps?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adwar smiles back, a bit sheepishly, but with a slight tilt to his head. Well, I heard about it from the clan elders, but if they feel like hidding stuff from the kids I'm going to assume they have a reason.

24. - Top - End - #24

Almost as soon as the word "elder" escaped his lips, Adwar and company were approached by the small circle of elders. One with long moustaches steps forward and bows.
    "Adventurers, my name is Rute. Pleased to meet you." Rute looks into Breka's eyes for a spell, and smiles for some reason. "Every one of you are exceptional specimens. You have performed admirably your job to guard us, and shall each receive a small reward when we reach Redo. For now, just enjoy yourselves. I will tell you what is happening within the city walls once the party has dimmed down."

Feel free to get to know one another/link backstories/become a party now. (Too straightforward?)
    Look! It's me!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Liriel looks at the odd group assmbeled with Aragar.

Are these friends of yours? she asks him questioningly.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Breka smiles warmly at Liriel and reaches out for a handshake. "We are now. I'm Breka, and the preacher here is Adwar. There's trouble in the next town, and it looks like the halfling elders are interested in seeing us deal with it."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Liriel takes his hand and winces as he has a firm grip. She smiles and tells him I am Liriel. Pleased to meet you.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Hello. Yeah, they've told me it has something to do with the temple of Ra in Redo. You said something about helping people in Redo?

29. - Top - End - #29

"The situation is most grave." The long-moustached halfling replies, bowing his head. "Though I wanted you to stay away from the details until you had a chance to have the emotional impact of seeing it, I know that forewarned is forearmed." He takes a deep breath, but the next phrase is interrupted by a shout among the young halflings throwing rocks at a target. As you all turn, you see a man stumble into the camp. He seems to be covered in oozing sores, and is wearing tattered yellow and gray robes- apparently a priest of Ra. He stares into the sun constantly, stumbling around and shouting like a madman.
    Boss Rute swiftly calls all the halflings away from the man, and the music fades from the air. Happiness itself seems to be sucked out of the atmosphere as the man falls down, his shouting turning into gasping.
    "Ra! Ra! Ra The Shining One! Save me! Save me! ... save... me... my... my lord...." he starts to cry and stammer incoherently, as Boss Rute walks closer.
    "This is it, Adventurers." Boss Rute looks at you all with a piercing stare, as the man twitches in the background. "I don't know the details, but it seems as if a disease totally resistant to magic has fallen upon the fair Walled City of Redo."
    The man continues to convulse in tears in the background. "...my my my my lord! Ra! ... save me, or cut me down with your shining blade... Ra...."
    Look! It's me!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Breka breaths deep and shudders at the sight, loading his crossbow and grunting as he draws the string by hand to save time as he takes a knee among the halflings to try to blend in to the crowd, or at least use the people his size standing around him as a distraction of contrast. "So the standard disease removal spell doesn't work... What about more potent magic? Or is that not available in Redo?"

((Trying to blend into the crowd: Hide - (1d20+10)[20]))