New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Banned

Default Re: Arena Tournament, Round 49: Kor and MitS vs Greenscale and Dusker

When it's dancing, 15 feet (reach is calculated for a whip wielded by a medium creature).

When it's hefted over my shoulder, it's not able to be wielded by medium size creatures, and so, has no reach at all. (huge 1 handed weapons are treated as larger than 2 handed to a medium creature, and thus, unwieldable)

Not to mention by RAW, Whips cannot make Attacks of Opportunity... Which is what I think you're trying to figure out.
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-04-13 at 11:32 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

So... a ready action... I am guessing it's one of those If he does anything inclusing readying an action I will do this and win the game ¬¬, ok let's see if this springs the trap...

Monster in the Shadows(with wings)tm 1st to act - round 5

Mits fires his sling (stupid range increment... was that on purpose?)
    attack - (1d20)[9]
    damage - (1d4+6)[7]
    Then (if no ready action happens) Mits moves to C2.

Done

Mits’ Stats (for refs)
    Spoiler
    Show

HP: 20/20
    Speed: 40 ft.
    AC: 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16
    Saves: Fortitude +5, Reflex +4, Will -2
    Attacks: +9 MW greatsword (2D6+9), +2 10xjavelins (1d6+6), +2 28xsling (1d4+6), +2 2xtanglefoot bags
    Held/worn: 3/3brute gauntlets, 2x potion of CLW, potion of protection from good, potion of faith healing
    Effects: concealment, shield of faith 6/10
    Reactive rolls:

"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck." Portal A. I.

Arena Characters(W-L): (DQs not added)
    Spoiler
    Show

Medals (D&D and otherwise
    Spoiler
    Show

My games

3. - Top - End - #93
    Banned

The range was to put you out of range to reach me with a single move action. I was trying to entice a charge.

Well, the action that triggered was "any action listed as provoking an AoO", which your range attack fulfills.

The action to perform is Move. I move to B9.
    Your ranged attack then continues, provoking an AoO.

I choose to use my AoO to Trip. (I threaten at 5 feet with an unarmed strike)

Melee Touch Attack (no AoO, I have improved trip): (1d20+8)[15] vs AC 11
    If hit, Opposed Check: (1d20+10)[26] (Str check + 4 for improved trip) vs your Str or Dex check, whichever's better.

If successful trip, then Improved trip grants me a free attack. I choose unarmed strike:

Attack: (1d20+12)[22] (+4 bonus for prone target) vs AC 11
    If Hit: (1d3+6)[9]
    If threat: (1d20+12)[19]
    If Crit: (1d3+6)[8]

If Unarmed strike hits, Scorpion's Grasp triggers, granting me a free grapple check to enter a grapple (much like improved grab).

Opposed Grapple check: (1d20+12)[22]
    If won, unarmed strike damage: (1d3+6)[9]

Assuming that the trip, the attack, and the grapple all succeed, the ranged attack is now illegal. If any fail, then the ranged attack can go through as normal.
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-04-14 at 10:09 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Banned

By my calculations, you can't prevent the trip, and the unarmed strike hits. That leaves the grapple check.

5. - Top - End - #95

How fortunate... I only need a nat 20 to equal that trip check... actually nevermind, I believe that a tie would go to the one with the bigest modifier, so I already lost that one...

Hum let's try the grapple then IF I beat that I still have some chance to win this

grapple - (1d20+7)[10]

EDIT: So, if I understand everything now I still have a full round of actions?
    Last edited by Morbius; 2009-04-14 at 10:29 PM.
    "Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck." Portal A. I.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

My games

6. - Top - End - #96
    Banned

Well, the action that started my AoO was legally initiated. I'm not entirely sure if you get that. I know for a fact you still have the move action.

The SRD is kinda silent on the issue, though. For the sake of fair play, I'll say sure, take the full round of actions.

You're currently prone and grappled.

7. - Top - End - #97

Now I was thinking about how to win... and I though: let's see if I try to break the grapple you will just stablish it easily again and I won't even touch you... if I simply continue to grapple you will have too much of an edge then I though what stops me from using a manuever on you? A manuever is an attack, I can attack with a unarmed strike at -4 penalty without needing to roll grapple checks... then I remembered... prone ¬¬ for a total of -8 penalty even if that would be valid... but still, a manuever that increases unarmed attack damage will work on grappling right? Well let the rules lawyering begin...

Int the meantime

Monster in the Shadows(with wings)tm 1st to act - round 6

Swift action to activate brute gauntlets and use all charges

Then Mits attempts to punch you in the face
    grapple - (1d20+11)[22]
    damage - (1d3+10)[12]

I will post stats later

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

My games

8. - Top - End - #98
    Banned

Well, Opposed check. (1d20+12)[16]
    Here's hoping I didn't just lose all my teeth.

EDIT: AND... I did. 12 damage, to the face.
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-04-14 at 11:09 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Banned

Assuming that makes it my turn...
    I was really hoping you'd leave the grapple. That would have given me another trip / punch / grapple combo.

Free action: Rage
    Standard action: Grapple check to deal damage.
    (1d20+14)[26]
    If Won: (1d3+8)[10]

Relevant Stats:
    HP: 16 / 28
    AC: 13 (+3 armor +2 dex -2 Rage)
    Grapple modifier: +14
    Status effects: Rage 1/9

10. - Top - End - #100

Ah, yes rage, I was sure that would be kicking in by now. So, does your lack of reply to using manuevers while grappling means you make no objection?

opposed grapple - (1d20+10)[12]

Mits’ Stats
    Spoiler
    Show

HP: 2/20
    AC: 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16 (prone penalties not added)
    Attacks: +9 MW greatsword (2D6+9), +2 10xjavelins (1d6+6), +2 28xsling (1d4+6), +2 2xtanglefoot bags
    Held/worn: 0/3brute gauntlets, 2x potion of CLW, potion of protection from good, potion of faith healing
    Effects: shield of faith 5/10
    Reactive rolls:

EDIT: Really the dice gods are not in my side on this match...
    Last edited by Morbius; 2009-04-15 at 06:39 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

My games

11. - Top - End - #101
    Banned

As long as the maneuver doesn't do things that aren't allowed in a grapple (such as movement, etc), then I'm cool with it. If it's an attack roll, it'd take the -4 penalty for attacking in a grapple though.

That should, however, put you up to 28 damage. Rageclaws keepin you up, barely.
    Last edited by Talic; 2009-04-15 at 01:50 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102

Mits mind almost leaves his body after the last punch, however he somehow grit his teeth and remains fighting
    "I may be without my sword, but my body is also my weapon! And you shall now prove my most powerful attack!"
    Saying that Mits concentrates his hatred on his right fist causing it become engulfed in flames at the same time a cold aura surrounds his left fist
    "Ultimate Fire and Ice Attack"

Monster in the Shadows(with wings)tm 1st to act - round 6(previous post was actually round 5 redux)

Mits uses a swift action to activate Burning blade and a standard to activate Shadow blade technique

attack1 - (1d20-1)[17](-4 from prone, -4 from grappling)
    attack2 - (1d20-1)[18]

unnarmed damage - (1d3+6)[9]

plus if both hit(yeah right)
    cold damage - (1d6)[5]

plus if at least one hit
    firedamage - (1d6+2)[7]

Mits’ Stats
    Spoiler
    Show

HP: -2/20
    AC: 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16 (prone penalties not added)
    Held/worn: 0/3brute gauntlets, 2x potion of CLW, potion of protection from good, potion of faith healing
    Effects: shield of faith 4/10
    Reactive rolls:

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

My games

13. - Top - End - #103

Did I just won?

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

My games

14. - Top - End - #104
    Banned

It does appear to be so, yes. You needed both hits, or my +14 grapple would have downed you next round, just before I passed out.

The loss was primarily due to player error, I believe (regardless of the luck of those rolls, lol). I should have raged before readying an action. That would have been an extra 4 damage.

Still, well played. I don't see a mistake in your actions, and I knew more or less what was coming when I agreed to the maneuvers. I just didn't expect such stellar performance with a -8 to hit. LOL, them's the breaks.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

HighRef PsiDog

Match Call:

MitS(ww) is the winner.

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie