New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default New Dawn IC Thread

Welcome to the New Dawn IC thread. Please keep IC at all times and put any OOC comments in spoilerboxes (If they won't do in the OOC Thread) and with that, let's begin.

It all started last week for you when you received the most mysterious of letters, despite your location at the time.

Dear [insert name here],

You have been cordially invited this weekend to my estate. Why, you may ask? I personally believe that I have a most unique opportunity for you regarding your unique talents. You have the opportunity to participate in something groundbreaking, and I strongly suggest you take my offer. I shall assume that you are interested, and provide personal transportation for you.

- Adam Valar

Intrigued, you took his offer, and flew from wherever you were to his estate in sunny California. Looming over the bay, his home looks down on much of San Francisco. But what is most striking about the house is the stile. Unlike the Spanish Adobe styled homes that were quite popular in California, Valar erected a building with a more modern touch. Much of it was steel and glass, and the formidable structure was quite beautiful if you could get past the utter strangeness of it. As soon as you made it there, though, you were ushered into a plain meeting room. Inside, other people, presumably Supers as well, are there, but there is no sign of Valar himself.
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social ecksperiment.

Spoiler
    Show
    KidKris's Tungsten Man

Djinn_in_Tonic's Tungsten Man

Credit to Djinn_In_Tonic for Peregrine
    Credit to Ninja_Chocobo for 10th doctor

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: New Dawn IC Thread

God Fist

God Fist enters the meeting room slowly, still admiring the building and the sheer impression that the metal work gave. He quickly looks through the room, and notices the others already sitting and waiting. He hurriedly checks his kimono, to see if there's anything amiss, and proceeds to walk forward into the room.

"So, which of you is our fair host ?"
    My own homebrewed world/setting: Yay!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Shade Walker

Shade Walker enters the meeting room and immediately puts his back to the wall.
    Which of you guys called the meeting?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

The "Director"

Victor Rast, known as "The Director", enters the meeting room casually, staring at the steelwork, and admiring it's efficiency. Interesting design choice... Shaking himself out of his thoughts, he walks in, and catches the kimono-clad man's question.

"Not I. I'm not American, as our host is supposed to be. And not nearly rich enough to afford something like this. I'm assuming you're not the host either, seeing as you asked who the host was."

Victor has a vague Western European accent, and the exact tone of voice places his nationality as somewhere in the Alps.
    Last edited by RationalGoblin; 2008-11-25 at 08:35 PM.
    Rational Goblin Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

Ixtlan, World of Exploration, my campaign setting. Currently on hiatus.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

A tall, slender man wearing calm clothing looks around, May I take your coats? Hats? he says mildly.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer, human shields offering free cover.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

God Fist

God Fist was about to answer to the man talking with him, when the slender man asks for their coats and hats.

"Do you work here ? Where is your master ? My time is precious, I can't waste it."

As God Fist talks, those paying attention will not be able to discern any particular accent at all. God Fist has travelled so much around the world that he has picked up a very unique manner of speaking, no matter what language he is using.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

"I work for Mister Valar yes. He will be along shortly, I am sure. Why, might I ask, do you assume that your time is more precious then Mister Valar's? As a leading industrialist, I fear Mister Valar's agenda is more constrained by the hours of the day then any other force. That he is taking time out of his day to meet with such... unique people as yourselves is a high compliment." the man replies, glaring angrily at the man in the kamino with his nose wrinkled.
    Last edited by Fiery Justice; 2008-11-25 at 10:17 PM.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer, human shields offering free cover.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Copy Cat

A man in a dark unadorned business suit walks in. It may be shocking for some to note that while it appears he is wearing a mask over his eyes, once he is within a few steps of you it becomes clear that the mask is part of his face . . . as if the dark looking material with the small points over his eyes was part of his natural features.

He smiles a friendly smile and looks around.

"Howdy all!" He says in a booming pleasant voice."I'm called the Copy Cat, those of you who are familiar with the news in New York City may have heard of me. I must say I am very excited to meet so many obviously special people."

Copy Cat will offer the butler his hand to shake and then let him take his coat. He will also attempt to shake everyone's hand in a polite way. He seems confident and excited.

Spoiler about powers
    Spoiler
    Show

Copy Cat immediately sense that a number of people are "special" and his attempt to shake hands is 50% genuine excitement and 50% sampling the persons powers
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Shade Walker

New York huh? Those are my old stomping grounds.
    Shade Walker says as he avoids shaking hands with the newcomer.

10. - Top - End - #10

Director

"Ah, but if he's called us all for something, he needs us. Like he said in the letter, Mr. Valar is going to give us all an opportunity for something groundbreaking. In most cases of groundbreaking, he'd need the mundane sort of groundbreaking people, geniuses, symbols of hope to nations, and people like them, and wouldn't contact us. However, he contacted 'unique individuals' like us. This suggests he needs us for said groundbreaking. So, I'd ask you, my dear friend, to be more patient with us.

The Director narrows his eyes, and studies the man closely.

"Most butlers would refer to guests by last name, or title, to add politeness, if I understand correctly. You aren't doing that. Also, you've turned from mild to rather angry, excluding the disdain of a normal butler. Hmmm... you're not a butler at all, are you? Besides, what American has a butler, even if he is rich?"

After berating the other man, The Director waves to Copy Cat in a friendly manner, then shakes hands with the man.

"Never heard of you. Still, Copy Cat, eh? I'm glad you could make it. I am called the Director. Mind if I, ah, study your face? I can see that it isn't quite natural, is it?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

God Fist

Following the Director's speech to the "servant", God Fist continues talking to him, although he is pretty calm, and shows no signs of anger or disdain.

"I don't care if Valar is a leading industrial or whatever. I was called here by him, and as such expect to be met on time. As Director said, if he called us here, then he need us."

Finishing what he had to say, he turns to the man in a suit that just arrived, and shakes his hand. As they shake hands, Copy Cat can feel a great aura of power coming from God Fist, something he never felt before. What surprises Copy Cat, though, is that he feels no superpower at all coming from God Fist.

"Nice to meet you. People call me God Fist, and I soon intend to live up to that name."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

The man graciously shakes Copy cat's hand and takes the coat, Thank you sir, it is a pleasure to have you down from New York he says smiling mildly and looking Copy Cat in the eye. His eyes are almost a bit too focused for someone working

The man eyes cast themselves directly into the director's as soon as they slide off copycat's "You may call me Bukharin and I am a personal aid to Mr. Valar. I suspect you're used to dealing with a lower class of people then Mr Valar, but I ask that you please respect him while you are in his house." The man spoke dryly now, folding the coat and holding it on his arm.

Spoiler
    Show
    As Davin folds the coat, he feels it for wallets and such, which he in turn palms and then pockets.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

The Gaul
    The Gaul walked into the room and looked around briefly at the others present. Approvingly, he smiled, and then mumbled a heavily accented "Hello"

Ignoring all other social interaction going on and refusing to shake hands with anyone The Gaul takes a seat at the table and folds his hands.

Some of those who have been to the continent might recognise The Gaul as one of France's posterboys in the war. While not an extraordinarily powerful hero, The Gaul did tend to look good on propaganda for the army as he really represented what French patriotism was all about.
    Avatar by the illustrious Dr. Bath.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Help me run my very first campaign.

14. - Top - End - #14

RogueGuy

Copy Cat

Copy Cat acts as pleasently towards those who shake his hand as to those who don't.

When the director asks about his face Copy Cat smiles proudly and says "Just a little of what I do, its easier than carrying a mask around with me." He closes his eyes for a moment, and the dark color spreads from the "mask" across his entire face, then retreats back to the "mask."
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

15. - Top - End - #15

Dr. Jupiter is standing outside the door. He then disassembles his matter and reassembles them inside the room. He is a man of average height and weight and a bit more muscular. He wears Ray Ban Wayfarers, a light orange button down shirt, not buttoned, with white palm trees on it, has khaki shorts, and is wearing faded brown sandals. He has no hair and his skin seems to be a swirling mass of blue which looks like the ocean. I'm Dr. Jupiter. Nice to meet you. Sadly I am not your host, although I am wondering where he is at.
    Last edited by drum-n-bass; 2008-11-26 at 06:55 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

That would be me, good doctor. At the door is Adam Valar, industrialist extraordinary. Dressed in a navy blue suit with a red tie, he makes his way to the head of the table and seats himself down. I'm sure that all of you are quite confused as to why I called you here. You have probably noticed that all the great Supers of our time are dead. Where is Captain America? Superman? Wolverine? The gruesome truth is that they are dead. In the end of the war, Germany was desperate in completing their final solution. And while it was brought to the knowledge of the people the horrible persecution of jews and gypsies that they wrought, their secretive actions delved deeper. They saw to undo the power of Supers, as the Aryan race was the ultimate group of beings in their opinion. You, my friends, are the only Supers left in the aftermath of such a calamity. I have called you here to form a new league of Supers, one such that so no hero of extraordinary talents will fear their extinction.[
    Last edited by GrandDukeJerot; 2008-11-26 at 08:41 PM.
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social ecksperiment.

Spoiler
    Show
    KidKris's Tungsten Man

17. - Top - End - #17

Director

The Director smiles, nods respectfully to the Gaul, knowing of the man's exploits, then turns back to Copy Cat.

"Interesting... you can manipulate your body to change your appearance then? Can you change your height, weight, blood type, and even bone structure as well?

The Director turns his full attention to Adam Valar when the industrialist enters the room, though he keeps a curious eye on Dr. Jupiter and the energy man's entrance.

The Director cringes at the mention of the dead Supers. "Ah, I wondered where they went. So they're dead by Germany's hands, and you want us to form a league to ensure it doesn't happen again."

The Director whips off his glasses, and looks around the room at the others silently, deep in warring thoughts. I could die, and none of these people are perfect. None of them could recreate the old world. It doesn't matter, these people are the best the world's got right now. The best for human survival. Don't you want the scientific advances of England, of Germany, of every nation to be rebuilt? To survive? Don't you want to show the world the fruits of science?Yes.

The Director stands up.

"Sounds like we're the best the world's got, so how could we refuse? I'll join."

@OOC Copy Cat
    Spoiler
    Show

When Copy Cat shakes The Director's hand, he gets a flash of incredible ideas, of equations, blueprints, and sketches, but he also gets a flash of a fear; fear that this invention isn't good enough, fear that The Director (Who Copy Cat learns is named Victor Rast, a man of Swiss heritage, and one of the most intelligent men on earth that doesn't have a true superpower) could fail.
    Last edited by RationalGoblin; 2008-11-26 at 09:04 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

RogueGuy

Copy Cat

As the knowledge of the Director floods through his body, Copy Cat blinks slightly and reforms his brain to mimic the man's intellect. He feels his thoughts speed to what he knows would be be an unpleasant and confusing for his "normal" brain.

Interesting, he thinks as he turns to face the industrialist.

"All the supers?," he says almost stammering. "Captain Amazo? Agent Shrinker? The green wonder? The Concord? Bob?"

The knowledge hits the young man full force and for a brief, almost sickening moment he feels self doubt, a feeling VERY alien to him. If they weren't able to survive in this world . . . How could I, he thinks.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Shade Walker

Who says we can't just stay off their radar and survive on our own? I dunno about the rest of you, but I'm nowhere near as powerful as the people on that list. If I don't bother them, and stay the hell away from germany, why would they bother me?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

God Fist

God Fist remains silent, listening to what the others have to say. He never cared about superheroes, and knew most of them only by name anyway, without really caring about what they did or who they were.

21. - Top - End - #21

Director

"I'd have to agree with that sentiment. Generally staying away from Germany, especially the cities, where those who killed the supers are most likely to reside, would be best. Of course, if we ignore them completely, it'll probably lead to the same thing happening all over again, except to us. So I say we should help out Germany countryfolk a bit. Help the ones that live in isolated areas, near Germany's borders, and we can probably build up enough support to prevent anti-super attitudes from developing.

Otherwise, staying out of Germany would be best, yes. We're less powerful then the old supers, and much less experienced. We don't need to deal with whatever horrors met say, Superman, or Captain America there yet. Or the fellows Copy Cat mentioned."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

The Gaul returned The Director's friendly nod somewhat awkwardly. He then returned to his former activity, sitting at the table doing absolutely nothing. He seemed to rejoice when their host finally came in and carefully listened to everything he had to say.

"Dead? Well, ze front waz kind of a mess, yes... But zuperman? I waz plannink to meet him myzelf... How exactly did you say zey met zeir demise?"

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Smiley fidgeted feeling uncomfortable. He'd served as a body double for Captain America more then once and he hadn't heard that Captain America had died. It bothered him, Rogers had been a good man. Nonetheless Smiley found it discomforting. He stood silently however, failing to take a seat at the table.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes, they have been... eliminated. Valar is obviously uncomfortable with the subject, pulling out a handkerchief to wipe the sweat off of his face. Superman was destroyed by a Kryptonite bomb in the countryside around Berlin. Captain America was interned in one of the Concentration Camps, and was executed when they discovered his identity. Wolverine washed up on the banks of the Rhine. Nodding to the men who appeared at the doors, photos of their confirmed corpses were laid out in front of all of you.

You might think that since the Nazis have been defeated, that the US and USSR met in Berlin, that everything is fine for you. Keep your nose out of trouble and you'll be fine. But that won't work. The Soviets are leery of the United States, and will undoubtedly try to gain the upper hand on the field of Supers, if not that of Nuclear weaponry. And just because Germany has fallen, it doesn't mean that the nightmare is over. The Aryan Research of Institute is still out there, trying to create the perfect human. They could kidnap or kill any one of you at any time. Their influence goes beyond that of a single nation now; they are a global threat. You can't run, you sure as hell can't hide, so the only thing to do is fight back. Adam pauses after such a long oration, his hands visibly shaking.

We have reports of one of their experiments rampaging in the ruins of Dresden. Apparently, it's an experiment gone wrong. Our soldiers can't handle it, and it is a threat to everyone in the area. I feel that capturing this experiment is key to uncovering the threat that the ARI poses to you. Of course, you don't have to do this, but think of what I can offer you; a veritable fortress to keep you safe, as well as the open ears of the US government. If you work together, you can protect not only yourselves, but those of America, England, France, and all the good nations of the world. Are you truly so callous as to deny them that, or will you answer the call to greatness?

Spoiler
    Show
    KidKris's Tungsten Man

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

The Gaul hadn't moved a muscle. The speech hadn't really stirred him, so to speak.

"Dresden. Oui. I see"

Memories of underground laboratories flashed by in the worm's mind. Dresden. One of the soldiers he'd resided in had had family there. He knew what some of the city looked like. The big things. The Frauenkirche. The Blaues Wunder bridge. The Semperoper. He wondered how many of them were still there... Still, his knowledge of it's streets might yet prove useful. The worm's thoughts returned to the current situation. Ah, yes, The Gaul was a cryer. Silly frenchman.

A tear slid down The Gaul's cheek.
    "I- I can't believe zey're dead... I mean, how zid zey kill ze Wolverine? I zought he was, how do you say, unkillable?"

The Gaul dried up the tear with part of his cape and slid the photo of Wolverine over to him, taking a closer look.
    Last edited by MrEdwardNigma; 2008-11-27 at 04:12 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Hmmmm.....What a perculiar situation....All the main superheroes are dead except us.... Dr. Jupiter says taking his shades off and sticking them in his left shirt pocket.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

"What sort of monster is it? Are we talking like The Vampire of Moscow or the Britain's Hyde? How hostile? Does it kill anyone, prey, threats? What sort of capabilities do we know and what sort of capabilities do we suspect? says the man who had pretended to be a butler, his eyes directly fallen on Valar. So this was the objective of Mr. Valar's meeting. Or, rather, the first reason. The alternative objectives of Mr. Valar could not be trusted.

28. - Top - End - #28

Director

The Director's attention shifts rapidly from first Mr. Valar, then the Gaul, then Dr. Jupiter, and then the "butler", taking in all the information, personality clues, body language, and words they presented.

All of this is interesting.... Best keep myself seeming as an enthusiastic, obedient pawn to Valar's vision, which I'm thinking is not so benevolent. I also have a feeling not so many of us are in this for altruistic reasons, and even fewer are doing this for Valar, despite that speech of his. The Gaul, in particular doesn't seem to be what I thought he was. There was a clear, uncharacteristic pause between his acknowledgment of the speech, and his sudden crying. I've heard the Gaul was a cryer. Perhaps his peculiar behavior is the result of post-traumatic stress disorder? Probably not, but I'll assume that as a reasonable theory for now.

Mulling over his lightning-fast thoughts, the Director smiles.

"Well then, if we have to fight, if we are to beat back the malicious new threats of the USSR, and combat the nightmarish evils of the ARI, we first need to know what the monster's capabilities are, what it has destroyed or who it has killed, and how it has done this, and any scientists who are known to have worked on it. As well as your 'aides' suggestion of how hostile it is, what kind of nightmare of science is it, like Hyde or the Vampire of Moscow?

The Director skips a beat, adjusts his glasses, then starts again.

"Am I right in assuming this is a test, Mr. Valar? To prove that we're as good as you hope we are, to prove to the world that there can still be superheros? Well, except for the Gaul, of course. You're using him as insurance to ensure that at least one country, France of course, will be, to use an American phrase, 'on-board' with the new league of supers? And of course, we can't refuse, because of our rampant hero complexes, morals, and desire to save those too weak to do so themselves. Am I right?"

Well, drat, your curiosity got the better of you. You revealed that you aren't a pawn to Valar's plans, whatever they are.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

As he begins to relax his pretext of being an aide to Valar, Smiley backs a few steps away from the table, puts his hands in his pockets, pulling out a small switchblade and opening it, as if he were trying to do it covertly (the sound of a switch blade flicking out will alert combat trained individuals). After taking a second or two to gauge each individual's rate of reaction and response (but before anyone can leap out of their seat, charge over, and disarm him), he closes the blade calmly, as if it were merely an expression of anxiety or thought. He then begins pacing and repeating the gesture to maintain the facade as best he can.

As he walks he sizes people up, their size, their weight, their chosen garb. He'd never met the Gaul before, though he knew him by reputation. Copy Cat he'd heard people mention in New York, but he has no real knowledge of him even his abilities. The Director and God Fist were both completely new to him, though he noted hatefully that God Fist was probably a Jap. The Director seemed chatty and curious, his labcoat was indication of a scientist. Doctor Jupiter seemed to most likely be another covert government project. He'd have to check that out.

So this was his roster:
    The Gaul, French Resistance Icon, Superstrength. Copycat, New Yorker, probably a shapechanger of some sort. The Director, probably a scientist, intelligent, curious. Doctor Jupiter, name may or may not be honorary, non-natural origins most likely. Unknown, normal build, no distinguishing markers. Damn it. thats shadewalker, God Fist, presumably some form of melee combatant, a jap, possible threat.
    Last edited by Fiery Justice; 2008-11-27 at 10:06 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Shade Walker

If the folks that killed off the supers are more powerful and have longer reach than they did during the war then that's all the more reason to lay low, I feel for all the people under their influence, but I don't really want to risk my skin without far more specific information than "rampaging Nazi monster".