New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Cold Northwest 3.X

Bronson stops Tommy as he readies to leave, handing him a slim wooden case.

"This may be necessary. Rigley's brought us a new one, so you folk should take this. 'Tis a magical stick of healing. The little white stones will show you how much life it has remaining."

Tommy:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Item: wand of cure light wounds, 12 charges, caster level 3rd.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2008-12-19 at 09:52 PM.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thank ye. I'll put that to good use. Tommy takes the wand and puts it in his belt, making sure it won't fall out.
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

Mad King Avatar Courtesy of Abardam. Thanks man!

Please do click this link: Wonderful homebrew, articles and other resources.

The Forge

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

Derham returns from the tavern and stands aside, watching nonplussed as Felicia completes her reading. When she's done and the group setting out, he catches up to her and wordlessly hands her her things. Though without his cloak, the cold air doesn't seem to bother him. His crystal sits in a loop at his belt, quiescent.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Felicia smiles in appreciation, saying, "Thank you Derham. Did you hear my reading? What're your thoughts?"

5. - Top - End - #155

The northerner frowns and strokes his beard. "Well, I don't know the system you were using. I'm sure there are plenty of meanings and interpretations built up around each card. I do know that I'm very wary of this cleric DuMaene, if he's leading the village's fighting men off to face some unseen monster, though."

He looks ahead, eyes unfocused, thinking. "You were saying that you were the questioner looking for knowledge, but that we as your allies were unprepared. But just because you look, do you get answers? Or could the answers you find lead us to prepare for the wrong thing? Bah, prophecy gives me a headache.

"I do hope that that Dragon Queen card can be read as more symbolic than you were letting on. We could do without facing an evil dragon or a worshipper of one."

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Waiting to hear from Lucius or Celinda. I'll drop them each a PM and proceed in a couple of hours.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I've decided to put this on a five-day hiatus. Hopefully that will give those of us who celebrate Christmas one less thing to worry about. Hope everyone has a good holiday, we'll see you after the break!

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Good call. D'you mind, if'n Kamikasei's up to it, a discussion between Felicia and Derham in re: previous topic?

9. - Top - End - #159

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd be fine with that. Merry Christmas and various other solstice festivities to all in the meantime.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Happy holidays all.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

"Do you really think it's as bad as all that? I mean, 'service of an evil dragon' can mean a lot of things.

"Frankly, what concerns me more is the Phoenix card. Someone is going to die, and I just pray it isn't me."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    By all means. Proceed IC as much as you like.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2008-12-23 at 05:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163

"Well, you're the expert. You didn't make it sound very good.

"The phoenix is a symbol of rebirth, yes? So just how bad is it if it's - reversed, did you say?

"It sounds like we could have a righteous man breaking faith and doing evil, or a demon god of dragonkind being woken from sleep by a heretic to end the world, or anything in between. So I think I'm beginning to see why we came up as Foresight Reversed."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, the Phoenix is a symbol of rebirth, but it's also a symbol of the circle of life, of fire, and of triumph.

"Reversing it, however, means the opposites: the Phoenix Reversed is a symbol of failure, death, cold, and of breaking the life cycle--even undeath. None of those things bode well."

15. - Top - End - #165

"Are you sure who the card refers to? Could it be saying that our hypothetical enemy's plans are the ones that will fail?

"If there's something 'sealed away', maybe we're looking at the end of the cycle that sustains it... maybe we're being given good news!"

Derham doesn't look like he believes this, but rather like he's trying to cheer Felicia up a little.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

"Considering it's placement in the pyramid, that could well be possible. The Future card is always placed on a foundation of the Questioner's Enemies and the Question Itself cards, just like the Past, Present, and Future cards make a foundation for the Duelists."

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm planning to resume as of Jan. 2; hopefully that will give everyone time to enjoy their New Years'. I'd appreciate a show of hands from everyone who's still in at that time.

18. - Top - End - #168

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    I'm planning to resume as of Jan. 2; hopefully that will give everyone time to enjoy their New Years'. I'd appreciate a show of hands from everyone who's still in at that time.
    I might be able to get back in, but I just have one question: can you please wait a little? I find it hard to keep up when I post once a day and some of you post three times.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I won't restrict other players' post frequencies, but I can guarantee that plot events and combats will wait for input from all parties, whenever possible. This last time, it was unnecessary. The next few encounters, I'll need to have everyone involved.

20. - Top - End - #170

Derham shifts the weight of his pack on his shoulder. "Can you ask follow-up questions? Try to narrow down the interpretation? We could second-guess ourselves into paralysis just going off that initial reading. Probably safest to trust your instincts, once we remember the ways in which important points might be read differently. A dragon, or a priest... a binding, or a promise... defeat or death, but whether for us or our enemies..."

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Lucius, Tommy, a wave of the hand to let me know you'll be back by Jan. 2 would be most appreciated.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

"Fate is a fickle, impatient mistress: she does not like being asked the same question twice. Otherwise...well, you get results like what happened back against the krenshar. Did you see how the lightning struck back at me?"

23. - Top - End - #173

Derham nods. "Seems like a dangerous craft. So that all was the cards, too? They don't just show you fates, but let you shape them a little more directly?"

24. - Top - End - #174

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll still be here.
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

The Forge

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Felicia nods. "Yes. I learned the cards from my grandmother: she taught me how to see what Lady Fate had in store for us...and then she taught me how to nudge Lady Fate in one direction or another.

"Daddy didn't like that much."
    She shakes her head. "But that's irrelevant right now."

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    We're officially back on. Still waiting to hear from Jalil.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2009-01-02 at 06:49 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"Ah, to be mistress of fate," Telen laughs, "must be a heaven-sent gift."
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

My meager homebrew

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

A broad path at the edge of Selvern goes deep into the forest, curving north; a few tracks are still visible in the snow. A thin trail meanders eastwards into the darkness.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Telen continues down the path and asks back over his shoulder, "Anybody know anything about tracks?"

My meager homebrew

30. - Top - End - #180

Tommy checks his rapier one last time and follows Telen down the path. He stops for a second to look at the prints with Telen.

Spoiler
    Show
    Are the tracks human or animal?
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

The Forge