Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Cold Northwest 3.X

Derham
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, you saw through my cunning plan.

The sounds in the woods seem to fade. Occasionally, a single howl or scream can be heard in the distance.

Spoiler
    Show
    No, I didn't advance the timecourse. Don't worry. Telen being here will speed up the next combat anyway, if necessary.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2009-01-17 at 10:09 PM.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sounds like someone's in trouble, lads. Or at least they were... I'm up for it if you are.
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

Mad King Avatar Courtesy of Abardam. Thanks man!

Please do click this link: Wonderful homebrew, articles and other resources.

The Forge

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, decide amongst yourselves, then let me know.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Firbolg in the Playground

"We'd best press on before we're too late, then," Derham opines. "Perhaps if Telen and Tommy take the lead, and I'll support from range and try to keep anything from eating Felicia while she works her magic?"

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Telen nods, "Let's go then," and sets off down the road.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

6. - Top - End - #246

"I agree, no sense waiting any longer."

Tommy ***** a bolt into his cross-bow and takes the lead as suggested.
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

The Forge

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

"Glad to see you all put so much faith in my abilities," Felicia says, a little nervous.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Moving ahead into a wide clearing, you see three wolves snarling over the body of a human. At your approach, they yelp and flee into the trees.

The man is facedown in pinkish snow.

A thick trail continues to the north, where occasional krenshar screams can still be heard. A thin path, away from the wolves' escape, runs northeast. You can see a trail of smoke above the eastern trees.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2009-01-20 at 11:14 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Telen rushes forward to the downed man, turning him over to see if he is still alive.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

My meager homebrew

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

He is, though wounded. He is pompously overdressed without proper protection against either the dangers or the cold, and looks to be a bit scrawny.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Telen waves Tommy over. "I think he could use some healing," then to the man, "Are you badly injured? Can you stand? What happened?"

My meager homebrew

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

The man whimpers slightly, and manages to squeak out, "Lord... Nethrys." His breath produces small puffs in the chill air.

13. - Top - End - #253

Here ya' go. Tommy whips out the wand again and tries to heal Nethrys.

Spoiler
    Show

Use Magic Device
    (1d20+6)[19]
    Heal
    (1d8+3)[4]
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

The Forge

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Felicia stands well back, covering her mouth with her hands and a look of tearful horror in her eyes. This is likely the first time she's seen a dying human before: the krenshar are animals, and she's okay with that--otherwise, where would she get her food? But people? That's another thing entirely.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Tommy
    Spoiler
    Show
    The wand jumps in your hands but fails to activate.

The man curls into the fetal position when prodded with the wand. His clothes are badly torn and gashes scar his ribs and thigh.

16. - Top - End - #256

"Bollocks. Sorry 'bout that, its a bit easier if you can actually cast spells, ya know?" Tommy waves the wand again, hoping desperately it will work this time.

Spoiler
    Show

Is it possible to take twenty on this check since we are out of combat? If so, I will. If not:
    Use Magic Device
    (1d20+6)[20]
    Heal
    (1d8+3)[10]
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

The Forge

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Wand's not going to be cooperative for the rest of the night, I fear. Perhaps Felicia could try?

The bleeding looks worse than the actual wounds, which appear to be reasonably shallow under the layers of lace and cloth.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2009-01-23 at 12:22 AM.

18. - Top - End - #258

Derham crouches by Nethrys' side and grips his shoulder, trying to gain his attention and keep him focused on speaking rather than on his wounds while the others work.

"Nethrys. We've come from the village. We're here to help. What happened? Where are the others? Tell us, so we can heal you and take you to your men."

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

The nobleman gives a feeble cough. It is clear that the cold is beginning to affect him.

"Don't... know. I was... catching up, but the wolves... Back. I want to go b-back. Take me back to the... to a fire and a w-warm b-bed."

20. - Top - End - #260

Derham's jaw tightens and his fingers dig into the injured man's shoulder. "Your men are in danger. Your village is in danger," he points out. "We have to help them now or if we take you back to the fire you'll just be waiting for the wolves to come to you. We're going forward. You can come with us or stay here. Now where did they go?"

In an aside to Tommy: "Can you get that thing to work?"

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Some strength returns to his voice as he squeals petulantly, "I've got more men. I'm a lord. Now t-take... hands off me and get me to town. Dunno where they... where they went, n'don't care..."

22. - Top - End - #262

"Em... well, sorry to say it lad, but I don't think I can get this thing to work again. If the lass is up to it, she might have better luck." He stands up and walks over to where Felicia is, "Lass, are you all right, your lookin' a wee bit nauseous. That man needs a bit of healin' and I can't get this bastard wand to work. Could you give it a try?"
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

The Forge

23. - Top - End - #263

"Felicia," Derham speaks without turning around, voice as cold as their surroundings. "If you can heal him, he can run back himself. If not I say we leave him here. Time's wasting."

He stands and leaves the noble in the snow while the others do their work. "Where do you think we're likely to find them?" he asks Telen. "Any suspicion of what that smoke means?"

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Felicia grabs the wand from Tommy's hands. "Silly men, can't do anything right," she says, but there's no conviction behind it. With a frustrated shake, she taps the wand to the man's wounds and it goes off.1

25. - Top - End - #265

Tommy mutters something under his breath that sounds suspiciously like, "Nobles..."
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

The Forge

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Telen shakes himself from his reverie, relaxing at the fact that the noble is okay. "Think about if we were to leave him here though, the wolves might just come back, on the other hand, you're right, time is a wasting. Think you can make it back on your own?" he asks.

My meager homebrew

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

The young man, face blotchy from the healing and the cold, sits up and pouts. "Don't you dare patronize me, you lunk. I am Lord Elbret Nethrys. You are in this territory at my grace and discretion and will do as you are told. Now I insist you take me back to the tavern in that worthless shanty, and get me set up in a proper bed." He noticeably aims this at Felicia and Telen, sparing a glance for Tommy and not meeting Derham's irritated glare.

The road back to town is indisputably easy to see, and you are only thirty minutes' walk away.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Felicia's face hardens, and she slaps the man across the face. "Wake up. You have fellow countrymen in trouble, and they are your responsibility. It befits a noble to lead his men wherever they may go, even if that goes into the maw of the Abyss itself.

"My father taught me about nobility. Your duty is to your people, first and foremost, then to your city, your country, and then to yourself. That is your lot in life as a noble, and it is why you enjoy the finer things: because when it comes down to the line, you will be the one responsible for the safety and well-being of all others involved.

"Yes, it may spiral out of your control, and yes it will be difficult. No, you cannot go run and hide: otherwise, you are abandoning your countrymen. You are their father, as it were: no good father ever abandons his children.

"Now, do I question your patronage, or are you going to do your duty?"

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Nethrys scrabbles to his feat, seemingly torn between fury and shame. Cape atop his head, he quickly dusts off as much snow as he is able, tosses his head arrogantly and proclaims, with a crack in his voice, "As you say, I must insist that you proceed on your duties in my most immediate service. I shall return to town myself to bring them word of my findings." He then takes to the road at a brisk pace.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Telen watches Nethrys return down the road and then turns to the party with a smile, "So," he says, "Shall we get going?"

My meager homebrew