New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: d20 Rebirth

1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: d20 Rebirth

That's the problem though is the fluff. The fighter doesn't need it hardwired into his class features like that. Modularity is the only thing he had going. Now if you don't use those features you are no better off than the regular fighter, so where's my combat-tricks guy? It's pretty unsatisfying. Fax's ideas on the whole are great, mind.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, modularity is the classic Fighter's one saving grace. This is true. But many people prefer to have a class with one path that works well, rather than have a class with many paths that work poorly.

I believe that this is what Fax has done with the Fighter, & it's an admirable piece of work.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-12-07 at 08:08 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

I am just glad he called it Warlord, because it is good, but not what I think of when I hear "fighter".

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerInPlayground View Post
    No, I mean a fighter. A guy who smashes stuff and does it well. I won't bite the "just play a warrior" quip. A player should be able to play a guy who relies on hitting things well without having to play a class that's non-heroic by definition. You know, a character that you're supposed to be able to play it straight out of PhB without it being broken.
    That'll be the Dreadnaught.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Interesting. Should I take it then, that there will be no "Generic Fighter" instead breaking the class up into several facets, each of which is as focused and balanced as the Warlord?

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

Dang, now this will become the Big Daddy of all "3.75" systems, and no one will ever pay attention to mine.

Well, we'll see. I still think mine is a bigger ... shift in the fundamentals in the game, and I like it more for that reason. Fax's homebrews, while good, just don't go far enough for my taste.

(FlWiPig: Mine has a generic warrior class that you'd like! But then, all classes in my system are generic, so what'dya expect?

Base Classes: Warrior, Rogue, Mage, Commoner
    Advanced Classes: Trickster, Spellsword, Scout, Adept, Juggernaut, Expert)
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FlWiPig View Post
    Interesting. Should I take it then, that there will be no "Generic Fighter" instead breaking the class up into several facets, each of which is as focused and balanced as the Warlord?
    Correct. There is no "Mage" class, per se: instead, there is a Wizard, a Sorceror, a Cartomancer, a Druid, and a Cleric. The "Fighter" type should have similar permutations.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

I'd question the Cartomancer's place in a core system, except that I like it.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    I'd question the Cartomancer's place in a core system, except that I like it.
    The Cartomancer is going in as "core" for two reasons: one, it's my baby.

The second reason is far more reasonable: it provides a non-Vancian core solution to magic. I'd use the Warlock, but it's not OGL. Same with Binders and Incarnum. So, to provide an "enduring" style of magic (a la warlocks and binders all-day capabilities), I felt that including the Cartomancer was a valid concept.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Valid and fair, Fax.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    The Cartomancer is going in as "core" for two reasons: one, it's my baby.
    May I question something about your baby? The base DC for the 1d4 firebolt is 18. The base DC for the 1d4 electro-jolt is 15. Given the prevalence of fire immunity/resistance shouldn't fire be easier to use than electricity? Is this just a mistake? Is this on purpose? As someone truly interested in the class I'm curious (and don't wanna necromance the cartomancer thread itself with the question)

12. - Top - End - #42
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff of Moddingham: Okay, some posts regarding Fax's cartomancer were moved to here. Hope that doesn't cause too much confusion.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2008-12-12 at 05:42 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Minor changes to the ToC. Idea based off of my Perfecting Feats system, centered around receiving Feat Points (bad name, but it works for now) each level, with which you invest into feats to improve their effects. Max Cap for a feat invest is your BAB.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

This is an interesting thread. If you need any help, i'll be glad to be of service. Anyhow, I commend you on this task, it's pretty big. x.x
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature (mine was on an airship)

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. This is a social experiment.

I now have an apprentice wizard!

Quote Originally Posted by arkanis View Post
    1st point: You summoned that? Wow, you magnificent b*stard son of a munchkin. Are you accepting apprentice applications?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Sheriff of Moddingham: Okay, some posts regarding Fax's cartomancer were moved to here. Hope that doesn't cause too much confusion.
    wow, that was weird.
    kono watashi chigiri motte kaihou chuushin to kaihou omoi
    -The Tengu of Water, Yawata Saburou Tadamori

stolen from fawsto, and he stole it from someone else.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Maybe he wanted to organise the thread/s better? o_O
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature (mine was on an airship)

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. This is a social experiment.

I now have an apprentice wizard!

Quote Originally Posted by arkanis View Post
    1st point: You summoned that? Wow, you magnificent b*stard son of a munchkin. Are you accepting apprentice applications?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm glad to see you're finally doing this, and I back you whole-heartedly in this endeavor.

I am curious, are we going to see Complete Commoner ranking in the gamemaster's book as well? Or are we not that far yet?
    — Nicolaos of Aepternacos

18. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground

Why not Pathfinder? Well, that's a good question. The Pathfinder system is a healthy alternative to your standard 3.5 game, but it makes some design decisions that I don't particularly agree with and I don't feel it fixes everything that needs to be fixed.
    Very diplomatic. Nicely done.

I think I love this just because of the Luckthief. Best teamplayer I've seen on these boards in a great while.
    Last edited by thegurullamen; 2008-12-13 at 01:43 AM.
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neek View Post
    I'm glad to see you're finally doing this, and I back you whole-heartedly in this endeavor.

I am curious, are we going to see Complete Commoner ranking in the gamemaster's book as well? Or are we not that far yet?
    It may. I'm torn on it, because there's some kinks in it that I'm not quite satisfied with (such as an interaction with child characters), but it may go in eventually.

My next task is redoing the Dreadnaught.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterTengu View Post
    wow, that was weird.
    I asked for it simply because I didn't want Cartomancy overtaking this thread.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2008-12-13 at 02:32 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Barbarian in the Playground

It may. I'm torn on it, because there's some kinks in it that I'm not quite satisfied with (such as an interaction with child characters), but it may go in eventually.
    I specifically left child characters out for a reason . The Complete Commoner didn't change too drastically when I reduxed it, only altered a few of the job classes and gave them BABs. Child characters are fun, but I think the concept is too much of a campaign niche that doesn't deserve a system-wide treatment.

Though I am curious to see this Dreadnought...
    — Nicolaos of Aepternacos

21. - Top - End - #51
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neek View Post
    Though I am curious to see this Dreadnought...
    Yes, that may be what I am most curious to see out of the whole Fax Rebirth.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Halfling in the Playground

OMG! Thumbs up for this project!

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Added link to Dreadnaught.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Added link to Dreadnaught.
    Dreadnaughts are rad. Never you mind those ToB-addled haters. I loves them for their potent simplicity.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Dreadnaughts are rad. Never you mind those ToB-addled haters. I loves them for their potent simplicity.
    I concur. The Dread is the only melee class I've wanted to play for the past year that isn't ToB. And it captures the shamanic warrior idea much better than the barbarian. And Rage too, come to think of it.

Barb: I Rage, dealing 2 more points of damage per hit and getting hit more often because I'm reckless.
    Dread: I hit a guy for 2 more points of damage from Power Attack and knock his ass back ten feet after slamming him three feet into the ground.

Bit more descriptive.
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Only non-ToB base melee class I've liked recently was my own Samurai, as far as equivalence went. Dread's now on that list.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Added link to (preliminary) Investing Feats.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Which are also interesting.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    *Rolls eyes*

Because options are bad, and making a class that literally only hits things all day is good. Sorry for trying to be constructive.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Options are good. The feats and martial attribution are the Dreadnought's options.