New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Vote for the Monumental City Contest!

ATTENTION: Voting for this contest has been extnded to midnight Saturday night. I apologize for the confusion, but with the site upgrades and lags this week, I've decided to give some extra voting time. I again apologize for the inconvenience and confusion of this late announcement.

The cities entered are as follows (note that this list is now fully complete):

Categories of voting and judgement are the following:

[list][*]Best Overall City: Choose the one you feel stands out among the rest as the single best entry.[*]Best Adventure Hooks: This is a chance to honor that entry that offers the most interesting opportunities for potential players.[*]Most Original or Wondrous City: This category will recognize the city that has has the most interesting quirk. If something about the city itself made you say "Wow, that's cool/scary/spectacular/amazing," you might consider voting for it in this category.[*]Most Playable City: This category is for the city that you would most like to play (or DM) in. Note that this is seperate from the adventure hooks section for a reason. That one is specifically about the hooks that the entry provides. This category is about the entry's overall atmosphere and fecundity as a setting for your gaming session. For example, you like the political intrigues of City A, but aren't as fond of the specific plot hooks offered by the author, this is the entry to vote for him in.[*]Best Monument: This entry is to honor the best individual monument, regardless of the quality of the city around it.[*]Best Vacation Spot: That's right folks, vote for the city you (the real you, not your character) would most like to spend that week off in.

Send your votes in a private message to screen name VOTE by Wednesday August 10th. May the best cities win!

When voting, please enter a vote for every category if at all possible in your PM. You may vote for the same city in more than category if you feel it is deserving. You may vote for your own entry, though to avoid a twenty-way deadlock, we'd rather you didn't. ;-)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Default Re: Vote for the Monumental City Contest!

Frankly, I don't see the point in putting up this thread while the list is still incomplete, but what's done is done.

At any rate, let me suggest to all voters to refrain from voting until Gorbash or Grey Watcher make a post declaring that the list is full.
    "I had thought - I had been told - that a 'funny' thing is a thing of goodness. It isn't. Not ever is it funny to the person it happens to. Like that sheriff without his pants. The goodness is in the laughing. I grok it is a bravery... and a sharing... against pain and sorrow and defeat."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Well, when my city, Kheimurgan, gets added to the list I certainly won't be winning the "Best Vacation Spot" category... the only group who'd ever holiday in its blasted lands would be the Masochist League! ;)

But - *Casts Suggestion and rolls a natural 20* you all know that you want to vote for me on the other categories... hehhehheh...

Anyway, best of luck and good hunting to all of the entrants! I can see several deserving candidates already. :)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

I second Premier's note: no good voting before we're certain all candidates are up.

I also have a small question of my own: is it mandatory to vote for every entry when I vote? I could easily vote in the "best adventure hooks" or "best monument" categories without spending my spare time for the entire week but if voting there obliges me to also vote in the "best overall city" category (which seems to be suggested by Grey Watcher) I'm afraid I will abstain...
    Tϊrin
    Still only a DwarfITP...&&My creations:&&Mξm the Clan-less, my portrait contest submission!&&Luvul

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

hi hi

Well, at least I can still have the satisfaction of having made my city. ::)

6. - Top - End - #6

Hmmmm, I don't know where Gorbash is with the other entries, or the sticky for this thread. If he hasn't put them up by tomorrow morning, I'll just tackle the rest of the list myself. But yeah, I would recommend not voting until the other half of the entry list has been sorted and posted. After all, you might think that "City X, the Example" was your Best Vacation Spot, only to change your mind when you see "Y City, the Archetype" is eligible.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

You spelled my name wrong. Its not Froejoe, its frojoe. One "e"...never mind
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Frojoe21
    You spelled my name wrong. Its not Froejoe, its frojoe. One "e"...never mind

Fixed. It's hard to spot spelling errors in the midst of all that coding....... :gets dizzy and falls down:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Just wanted to kinda put this in, My city Derednic doesnt seem to be on the list, worked hard on it so just mentioning it... thanks

10. - Top - End - #10

Okay, I added all the entries on my half of the list that seemed to be complete. In the interests of posting them before the 10th, I was only able to scan each entry, so if we missed a complete one or a included an incomplete one, please let us know via PM (copy both of us).

Sorry to take so long, I've been under the weather, plus I fell off my bike today and banged up my elbow, so typing is slow.

Anyways, good luck to everyone in the contest! If you have any additional questions about the voting process, feel free to ask.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

I'll have to borrow one of my friends cities to enter it in the name of overhwhelming DEAR GODNESS. The origonal maker (the friends fathers friend) write a 280 page epic poem describing the history and world. He handdrew an 18 page graphpaper map of the main city, labled every house, and made details and stats for every person in them and such, connecting histories and all. Does that not speak to you as ungodly?
    Jesus Saves. You Take Twenty Damage.&&The Few, The Quiet, The Humble.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar
    If you have any additional questions about the voting process, feel free to ask.
    I would like to restate my question: is it allowed to vote only in a few categories?
    Still only a DwarfITP...&&My creations:&&Mξm the Clan-less, my portrait contest submission!&&Luvul

13. - Top - End - #13
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

If you can't make up your mind, just vote for me in all the remaining categories. ;D

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Turin

I would like to restate my question: is it allowed to vote only in a few categories?
    You CAN, but we'd rather you didn't. After all, we want as many votes as possible so that we have a better idea of who's winning.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

My city, Dragon's Nest is missing. Did I forget something to include?
    Troubles in Athkatla, an FR game about schemings around an ancient curse
    The messengers, a game about finding allies in times of need

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by amanodel
    My city, Dragon's Nest is missing. Did I forget something to include?
    Well, there was a bit of confusion because you forgot to include the label [City] in the thread title. I'm not concerned about it, but, in the future, I'd suggest everyone pay attention to little details of form, to avoid little problems like that in the future. :)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone
    If you can't make up your mind, just vote for me in all the remaining categories. ;D
    You wish :P I don't think you'll need it, so I'd much rather vote for someone who does need it if I can't make up my mind. *thinks* Who might need it? *off to vote for self* j/k :P

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Turin
    You wish :P I don't think you'll need it, so I'd much rather vote for someone who does need it if I can't make up my mind. *thinks* Who might need it? *off to vote for self* j/k :P
    I most definitely need it. There's so many entries, I need to do some serious self-promoting or else all the categories will end up with a 20-something way tie.

EDIT: I've voted, BTW.

[jedi]Vote for Incenderius...vote for it I say.[/jedi]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Not voting for yourself would be a much more elegant way to break the 20-way tie :P

That is assuming if everyone voted for themselves. As this is not likely to happen, I don't think any of us mortals could break the tie deliberately with a strategic vote. The tie will occur or not occur at Banjo's mercy...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

My vote goes to Derednic by Dryden, the character hooks are really good, I could see myself playing in that world with very easily
    And thats the way the crumbling cookie falls.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

I voted as well, all of the categories but one were for different people... I voted for myself in the "Best Vacation Spot" because you people and your minds scare me! My own tormented mind would be a year in Hawaii compared to some of yours! ;D

All kidding aside, good luck to everyone here... the 10th can't get here fast enough!
    They Came from Santa Cruz - Flumph award for 2005... Showing that everyone knows quality!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Hmpf, no "Best foreign entry" categorie... :'(

Ah, what the heck, I guess I would not even win this one, anyway. ;D

23. - Top - End - #23

If you can't make up your mind, just vote for me in all the remaining categories.
    No, TheGlyphstone, everyone shall be obliged to contribute their votes to me! I'm more deserving! Because...

erm... because... ah... um..

...hold on a moment, I'll be with you...

...don't go away...er...

...beginner's luck!

Yes, that's it! This is the first GitP contest that I've submitted an entry for, so I'm guaranteed to have a generous amount of it!

If you don't vote for me, you'll be contradicting the very ORDER OF THE COSMOS! All of Creation will unravel! We'll be driven insane by the dissolution of all coherency to the world! We'll be smeared as infintescimal quantam paste against the walls of some insane singularity! Plan Nine From Outer Space will win an Oscar! S Club 7 will have a reunion tour! We'll be doomed! And it's the "doomed-I-tell-you-doomed" sort!

And it'll all be because you didn't vote for my city of Kheimurgan. See if you can have that on your conscience! :o

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Having just spent too much time reading over all the entries in order to cast an informed vote I just wanted to say - wow!

There is some awesome stuff submitted to this contest. Good work all.

Bill
    Bill&&&&\"And if I have a choice I\'ll take the voice I\'ve got `cause it was hard to find.\" Concrete Blonde

25. - Top - End - #25

*edit:*crap... definatley did not read that part gorbash....:-[

no wonder I was like the only one who voted....

T.S.O.

Warforged do not worship Optimus Prime. It is wrong to tell warforged this.

26. - Top - End - #26

Remember that if you don't send your votes to, uh, VOTE, they won't count ;)

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Oooh, best vacation spot?

VISIT
    [glow=yellow,2,300]Sunny Incenderius[/glow]

The perfect vacation site for anyone tired of the cold, or the humidity, or the rain! Enjoy the enchanting heat of any desert without irritating sand getting into everything! Party in the streets in the groovin' light of dancing fire elementals! It's an opportunity you don't want to miss!

Call the Roaming Gnome Travel Agency at 1-800-459-3786, that's 1-800-459-3786, for more details on specific vacation plans!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Is VOTE case sensitive?

Bill
    Bill&&&&\"And if I have a choice I\'ll take the voice I\'ve got `cause it was hard to find.\" Concrete Blonde

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Bill
    Is VOTE case sensitive?

Bill
    Yes, I'm pretty sure screenname, including VOTE are all case sensitive. Better safe than sorry. ;D

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Bill
    Having just spent too much time reading over all the entries in order to cast an informed vote I just wanted to say - wow!

There is some awesome stuff submitted to this contest. Good work all.

Bill
    And did you decide which one to vote for yet? Did you already vote?

I don't think I'm going to vote. It would be cheap to vote for myself, and I don't want to read through all the entries. Probably just damn lazy of me, but...