New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1480
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXIII: DeeganBallZ

Quote Originally Posted by Arakune View Post
    Do you think dominic would be without his second sight forever?

Let's make a betting pool:

He will be without his powers for twenty-five weeks.
    Ha. I give him two weeks depowered, tops.

Hell, he'll probably be re-powered tomorrow.
    Last edited by Fawkes; 2011-03-22 at 01:52 PM.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Troll in the Playground

You do realise that Dominic's power doesn't come from his magic, it's from his friends.

Mainly, Mookie.

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    You do realise that Dominic's power doesn't come from his magic, it's from his friends.

Mainly, Mookie.
    Friendship is Magic Mookie?
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Colossus in the Playground

Klo tark will once again swoop in to save the day. Then be killed once more.

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Orc in the Playground

I give him until the second panel on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmyst View Post
    Hmm. That Snuggly is engaging in banter is a little disturbing. Would have had more impact if "Understand. This." had been the start of a single drawn out sentance spoken over the next few strips, and Snuggly ignored anything Dom said or did while imparting the message. While beating the mental snot out of him, of course .

Still. Even with the standard Mookie Modifier (-2 INT, -2 CHA, Each strip must pass DC 25 vs will or plot frozen for 1d6 days, no save [if you're lucky]) things are looking watchable for the time being. I'd even put up with it being filler if it adds a legitimate sense of threat back into the DD world.
    Oi. I do appreciate your fine idea for an action scene, but Mookie is +1 CHA, -5 Perception. Bringing his smarts into this is low. Plus he makes a living out of selling Dominic Deegan, which is no mean feat and more respectable than a lot of the selling that goes on in our ad-ridden age.

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    I can't tell if Mookie is genuinely trying to make this funny, but either way I'm finding this to be hilarious. Most disappointing ending ever: It's just a nightmare. Actually this is surreal enough that I'm almost expecting it to happen, but it doesn't really seem like Mookie's style.
    Well, if the nightmare ends with Spark interrupting and saying "Come awake Boss, a cutty customer is on cue, he's a royal knight so you can finally acquire some quality feeesh!" then I'm cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Barbarian in the Playground

Man, Snuggly is just a poor man's Shuma-Gorath now.

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    Oi. I do appreciate your fine idea for an action scene, but Mookie is +1 CHA, -5 Perception. Bringing his smarts into this is low. Plus he makes a living out of selling Dominic Deegan, which is no mean feat and more respectable than a lot of the selling that goes on in our ad-ridden age.
    To be fair, you don't really need to be smart to sell things, you just need to sell it to dumber customer base.

Like those people who bought the Endless Eight.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

9. - Top - End - #1359

To be fair, you don't really need to be smart to sell things, you just need to sell it to dumber customer base.

Like those people who bought the Endless Eight.
    Man, hearing about that makes me feel okay about sliding into meta-fandom, which is a sequence of words that... um... I think I just committed the equivalent of blasphemy. Are the things I've been hearing true, that they basically made the same episode, de novo, eight times?

That sounds worse than the time I was archive-trawling a different webcomic, and tripped over the fact that two adjacent strips had exactly the same artwork and dialogue, and the only difference was the placement of thought-bubbles/speech lines.

Is that comic still... hmm, it is on hiatus. But the latest strips... *gesture back* *gesture back* *gesture forward* *gesture forward*. Whee! It's like a socially maladjusted electronic flipbook!

Fact: Mookie doesn't usually abuse copy-paste, and never to this extent.

Edit-Fact: Andy Weir (self-proclaimed world's laziest cartoonist) didn't abuse copy-paste to this extent. At least he varied the composition between strips.
    Last edited by mwchase; 2011-03-22 at 07:28 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1360

Quote Originally Posted by spectralphoenix View Post
    Meh, it's not like they have any foibles either.
    That's why I didn't bold it in that sentence. "they don't actually have foibles, of course. It just sometimes looks like they potentially could" is perfectly applicable to the comic.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

11. - Top - End - #1361

Quote Originally Posted by mwchase View Post
    Man, hearing about that makes me feel okay about sliding into meta-fandom, which is a sequence of words that... um... I think I just committed the equivalent of blasphemy. Are the things I've been hearing true, that they basically made the same episode, de novo, eight times?

That sounds worse than the time I was archive-trawling a different webcomic, and tripped over the fact that two adjacent strips had exactly the same artwork and dialogue, and the only difference was the placement of thought-bubbles/speech lines.

Is that comic still... hmm, it is on hiatus. But the latest strips... *gesture back* *gesture back* *gesture forward* *gesture forward*. Whee! It's like a socially maladjusted electronic flipbook!

Fact: Mookie doesn't usually abuse copy-paste, and never to this extent.

Edit-Fact: Andy Weir (self-proclaimed world's laziest cartoonist) didn't abuse copy-paste to this extent. At least he varied the composition between strips.
    Hey, abusing copy-paste can sometimes work!

12. - Top - End - #1362

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    There's a difference between setting out, acknowledging, and working with self-imposed limitations, and doing "good enough" things that squander basically competent artwork on thoughtless composition. I mean, having the same characters stand in the same places, with the same art, for days on end (with no backgrounds)... what are the odds that that's always the right choice to make for a strip with an ongoing storyline?

Like, imagine if Dinosaur Comics had some kind of nominal day-to-day continuity, where it just happened that the logical thing for T-Rex to be doing in the third panel is always crushing the same cabin, while Dromiceiomimus looks on. The idea is so ridiculous that your mind won't accept it, right? But what I'm describing is a situation roughly equivalent to this absurd hypothetical. (The art does change more, but I maintain that it doesn't change enough.)

13. - Top - End - #1363

Quote Originally Posted by mwchase View Post
    There's a difference between setting out, acknowledging, and working with self-imposed limitations, and doing "good enough" things that squander basically competent artwork on thoughtless composition. I mean, having the same characters stand in the same places, with the same art, for days on end (with no backgrounds)... what are the odds that that's always the right choice to make for a strip with an ongoing storyline?

Like, imagine if Dinosaur Comics had some kind of nominal day-to-day continuity, where it just happened that the logical thing for T-Rex to be doing in the third panel is always crushing the same cabin, while Dromiceiomimus looks on. The idea is so ridiculous that your mind won't accept it, right? But what I'm describing is a situation roughly equivalent to this absurd hypothetical. (The art does change more, but I maintain that it doesn't change enough.)
    Well, I can see your point; if people aren't expecting copy-paste it's going to be grating when it happens for no reason.

14. - Top - End - #1364

Do you think dominic would be without his second sight forever?

Let's make a betting pool:

He will be without his powers for twenty-five weeks.
    Bet taken. Dominic maintains 100% of his second site, is only mildly inconvenienced and possibly marginally depowered in astral combat for the duration of this fight. By next week he will be back to normal and be smug about how he didn't lose his magic while Greg lost his.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

15. - Top - End - #1365

Sneaky Gate!
    Future link

So uh, this seems like a card that really would have been handy to play earlier! I wonder why it wasn't? Is that a plot point?
    Anyway Dom is getting busted up hooray :D Lookit dem brittle bones go.

p.s. Snuggly NO don't spit him out KILL HIM KILL HIM KILL HIM NOW
    YOU CAN GLOAT WHEN HE'S DEAD.

p.p.s. New thread names?
    Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk XXXIV: Hrgp!
    Last edited by rocketpony; 2011-03-22 at 11:28 PM.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Bugbear in the Playground

Meh. I miss Silent Snuggly. He isn't as cute now.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    Sneaky Gate!
    Future link

So uh, this seems like a card that really would have been handy to play earlier! I wonder why it wasn't? Is that a plot point?
    Anyway Dom is getting busted up hooray :D Lookit dem brittle bones go.

p.s. Snuggly NO don't spit him out KILL HIM KILL HIM KILL HIM NOW
    YOU CAN GLOAT WHEN HE'S DEAD.

p.p.s. New thread names?
    Oh no! Dominic is facing his greatest threat - an enemy with the same powers as his!

...no, not Visions or Second Sight. When was the last time Dominic used those to actually fix something? I'm talking about the ability to invent New Powers As The Plot Demands. Truly, which will be the greater Sue
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, Snuggly now looks like the Cookie Monster.

19. - Top - End - #1369

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm ignoring the words. My canon is that Snuggly used the Dominus Himself to physically shatter the Fourth Wall and escape, so he is now free to devour the comic strip itself.

Snuggly is the best.

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    The "Mookie Modifier" was meant to imply the traits a strip crafted by Mookie posesses, rather than any attributes of the man himself (To wit, a concept in DD generally appears less intelligent, less likable and more prone to bogging the plot down purely by dint of its source). Apologies for the ambiguity; I'm not exactly very good at separating criticism of creator and creation.

As for the comic... NO. No spitting him out Snuggly! You will eat your seer and like it, or there'll be no desert for you young man! And stop talking with your mouth full!

(Also, going to the trouble of teling Dom how insignificant he is shows that you think him significant enough to warrant such attention. Way to undermine your only point, spaghetti-maw )
    Last edited by Darkmyst; 2011-03-23 at 12:09 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1371

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Okay, Snuggly now looks like the Cookie Monster.
    Dominic is a sometimes food.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

22. - Top - End - #1372

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    p.p.s. New thread names?
    Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk XXXIV: Snuggly's My Brony

Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk XXXIV: Shadow out of The Fourth Wall
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Titan in the Playground

I do approve of the fact that Snuggly's chewing on the panels instead of on Dominic himself. That's a nice touch and I genuinely give Mookie a bit of credit for it.

Yes, Snuggly learning to talk is still a godawful idea, but credit where credit is due. Let it never be said that we don't recognize the tiny bits of good with the bad.

Anyway, I liked this particular strip better before I noticed the stupid eyeball that Snuggly has. Yup, it's up top. Nope, you can't unsee it. Sucks to be us.

For the thread title, I propose Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk XXXIV: Om Nom Dom. (Or, if you prefer, Dom Nom Nom, but I like Om Nom Dom better.)

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk XXXIV: Shadow out of The Fourth Wall
    If we're going for Lovecraft parodies, we could go for The Thing on the Derpstep, The Music of Facebath Zahn, The Doom That Came to KARNAK! (a bit late on that one), The Shadow Over Lynn's Brook, or The Snarked House.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2011-03-23 at 01:44 AM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    For the thread title, I propose Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk XXXIV: Om Nom Dom.
    Seconded!

...I'd give him credit for the "chewing on panels" idea except I'm pretty sure he's used that same damn thing in a Mindsoulscape already. In fact, back in Storm of Souls he used the technique extensively. Now, it is probably as close as we're going to get to seeing some honest-to-god Style out of the man but I can't help but feel like it is used more as an excuse to draw Dominic in a single perspective more than anything else.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Troll in the Playground

So many tentacles, and he doesn't make a single twirlable mustache out of them.

For shame.

26. - Top - End - #1376

We so have to go with Om Nom Dom.

On the actual comic...so, Mookie, you really wanna go with that look for the beast? He looks more like the Flying spaghetti monster with each passing day. Sure you don't just wanna erase that and try again? It'd be pretty easy since balls of tentacles don't conform to those confusing things like "human anatomy" and "proportion".

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Titan in the Playground

I just noticed that "you are powerless because I will it to be so" rather directly contradicts the established concept that Snuggly's mere presence distorts and blocks magic and/or reality.

Does he even qualify as an eldritch abomination anymore? Like, in any way? If it doesn't look like a duck, and it doesn't quack like a duck . . .
    Last edited by Zaq; 2011-03-23 at 02:08 AM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Titan in the Playground

If it doesn't look like a duck, and it doesn't quack like a duck . . .
    ...it may still be a duck, horribly twisted by MAD SCIENCE!!!

...Mookie makes "eldritch abomination" lose all meaning. Honestly, when the phrase "penguin-fringed abyss" is more terrifying than the sum total of "Lovecraftian Horror" you've produced, you're doing it wrong.
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2011-03-23 at 02:17 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

29. - Top - End - #1379

Well, Mookie says Snuggly looks like the black beast of Arrrggghhh... I'm not seeing it, though. I guess the mouth does kinda resemble it.

It reminds me more of the Malboros from Final Fantasy...
    Last edited by Castel; 2011-03-23 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Forgot link.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

30. - Top - End - #1380

GnomeWizardGuy

Does he even qualify as an eldritch abomination anymore? Like, in any way? If it doesn't look like a duck, and it doesn't quack like a duck . . .
    He does have an entry over on the TV Tropes page:
    In Dominic Deegan, it's revealed that the Infernomancer has become one...

... but is nothing compared to his master, dubbed the Beast. Appearing as a gigantic eye, tentacles, and many, many teeth, its nature is so alien that it is effectively invisible to Dominic's Second Sight. Dominic, one of the most powerful seers alive and a master of mental combat, further empowered by Luna's Black Magic, was barely able to fight off a tiny fragment of the Beast that tried to claim Celesto Morgan's soul.
    I'm guessing this was all before the Crawdad Cop.

(The actual answer to your question is: no. Celesto and the Storm of Souls were acting more eldritch than Audrey II is here.)