New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: My Little Pony VI: MUFFINS!

Quote Originally Posted by Hadessniper View Post
    Okay being new to the fandom I have to ask, does everyone else dislike Rarity? I just finished the sleep over episode and I've yet to notice redeeming quality for her.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kyrospaw.../1/COG-MvZVhzo

More seriously, I'm not sure how you can say she has no redeeming qualities. I mean, even if you find her personal eccentricities annoying, she's probably the only one we see work the hardest for no other reason except to see her friends smile. Which is only a negative quality if you hate friendship. You don't hate friendship, do you.

Also this is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by xelliea View Post
    Why does every love a kid's cartoon, what is the obsession.
    I think before anyone can answer that question, it would have to be explained that, "Kid's cartoon," isn't actually a category that has very much value to it.

The Mod They Call Me: I'd like to remind everyone that pictures wider than 400 pixels should be linked or spoilered.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Why is that?

Because kill it with fire, that's why.
    The new series has the additional title "Friendship is Magic"
    It's the only thing that separates it from the animals.
    Last edited by Etcetera; 2011-04-24 at 04:56 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    And Lord Fullbladder, I deign to say neigh on the account MLP is comparable to root beer. Ponies are clearly superior.
    Well yeah, obviously. But I was rolling with it, wanted a third thingamajig and settled on a Deep Space Nine reference.

@ Crown o' Thorns: Pff, I thought you were talking about to G3.5 mini-episodes that were floating around a bit ago. What you've got there is the wrong thing, but it's a good sight better than those. I can handle that.
    Last edited by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins; 2011-04-24 at 05:00 PM.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    @ Crown o' Thorns: Pff, I thought you were talking about to G3.5 mini-episodes that were floating around a bit ago. What you've got there is the wrong thing, but it's a good sight better than those. I can handle that.
    Yes, but I value my sanity too much to go look for those.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

My reason, initially, this. Also The Great&Playful Fandom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crown of Thorns View Post

Because kill it with fire, that's why.
    The new series has the additional title "Friendship is Magic"
    It's the only thing that separates it from the animals.
    Indeed. It is nothing compared to this:

Spoiler
    Show

Or the very epitome of this generations of ponies:

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Grif; 2011-04-24 at 05:08 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Banned

You say it's not condescending, really, what makes you say that?

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, why is everyone here really interested in my little pony, it's a kids show, I just don't get it.
    Why are people interested in any kinds of shows or cartoons?

The answer is quite simple.

Because they like it.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Firstly, one thing I'd love to see become a running gag (note: minor spoiler of this week's episode).

Spoiler
    Show
    The Quills and Sofas thing. I love the idea that every shop in Ponyville sells two random and utterly unrelated things. Things I've come up with so far:

Cat Toys and Smoothies
    Seeds and Baby Supplies
    Books and Rakes

So, on another topic. Last thread, I had an idea of a fic that tried to emulate facets of King of the Hill starring some of the side ponies. (Note: I haven't abandoned Fair Feather Friend by a long shot. This is just me thinking through things for the future).

After some work, I have a rough outline of the characters involved and the story. Any suggestions or critique would be appreciated.

Don't read these if you care about spoilers for a fic you'll see in late May at the earliest.

Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

The main 4 are Carrot Top, Big Macintosh, Caramel and Cherry Coke.

Carrot Top: Farms carrots. Sort of a tomboy. Functions as the team mom and alternate voice of reason when Big Mac isn't available or needs to be straightened out.

Cherry Coke: Farms cherries. Lady's colt. Sort of the snide one, with a slight tendency towards conspiratorial thinking, which manifests as him subscribing to a version of Iron Hoof.

Big Macintosh: Eeyup. The common sense pony, with a tendency towards anger is his family is threatened. Also the muscle of the group.

Caramel: Works at a horseshoe smithy in town. The sensitive one and the most urbanized. Utterly loyal to his boss, despite the fact that his boss is a terrible human being pony.

Striker Buck: An OC based on Hank's boss, Buck Strickland, from King of the Hill. He's as immoral as pony-ly possible in a G rated universe. Has a tendency to blow the store's profits at the pony races. Everypony calls him Mr. Buck.

Plot so far
    Spoiler
    Show

Hm. Without giving away the ending, there are two plot threads that go together in this. One is that Mr. Buck's Horseshoe Smithee is being driven out of business by a new competitor who's charging ridiculously low prices. At the same time, Apple Bloom is tagging along with Caramel for a school assignment about different jobs in the community. This means that Apple Bloom is writing down everything Mr. Buck does and starts emulating the "respected pillar of the community," which brings Big Mac's wrath down upon them. The plot involves Caramel trying to run damage control with Apple Bloom, while all of them investigate how exactly the new horseshoe shop can charge such low prices.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-04-24 at 05:59 PM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Why is the show attracting such a fandom?

Because it's GOOD, and in a genre where there's few quality cartoons around. But why is it good? Let's examine.

1) Rounded characters.
    Usually in cartoons, you have one dimensional characters that are, honestly, boring. You can't really identify with exaggerated personality stereotypes. And often, there's not much that separates characters apart personality-wise. But here, each character has a set of virtues and FLAWS that make them distinct.

To wit, you have Twilight, a gifted and very knowledgeable magic user, but is often antisocial and sarcastic.
    You have Applejack, a hard farm worker and dependable, but who is downright stubborn and often lacks attention to details.
    You have Rainbow Dash, the best flier in the land and will stick by your side no matter what, but impulsive, hyper competitive, and something of a braggart.
    You have Rarity, an artistic soul with a generous heart who will chop off her own tail if you needed it, but often prissy and a tad haughty.
    You have Fluttershy, the kindest and gentlest one around, who cares deeply for all living things, but is painfully shy and barely talks above a whisper.
    And you have Pinkie Pie, who spreads joy wherever she goes with her boundless energy, but is hyper and spazzy to the point of irritation sometimes.

Each of these characters are distinct and vastly different, and everyone usually finds at least one they identify with.

2) Conflict.
    When you come into this, you are expecting a sugar bowl of cutesy girly schlock. That's what MLP is like, right? Wrong. You have actual conflict between characters. Everyone does not always get along, and their conflicts are actually serious. And the other half of the time, some of the tasks they face are quite foreboding. To list a few out of context, they face down a nigh-goddess wanting to shroud the land in eternal night, a full grown dragon, a cockatrice, a 40 ft. tall cosmic grizzly bear, a town devouring swarm of locust, and a gang of subterranean slave driving dogs.

3) Humor.
    The show is actually funny and witty. It's hard to explain without having you watch a few scenes. But the humor is also self aware. There is often a viewer surrogate characters who react in the way you and I would to the goings on. For example, Pinkie Pie is very prone to breaking into song. Whenever she does so, the other ponies look at her like she's gone insane. The first time she does so prompts this dialogue.
    Pinkie: *starts to sing* When I was a little filly, and the sun was going down...
    Twilight: ...tell me she's not.
    Pinkie: The darkness and the shadows would always make me frown...
    Rarity: *sighs* She is...

4) Cuteness
    This show manages to be adorable without rotting your teeth out with it. Believe it or not, a honest, cute, and sweet show can be refreshing from much of the stuff out there.

All the episodes are out on youtube for you to check out. They can be viewed in any order except for the pilot two-parter. Though you may want to start with that to have a few base principles explained. Good starter episodes after that (or if you are fine with jumping straight in), include Dragonshy, Sonic Rainboom, Swarm of the Century, and Bridle Gossip.

After the third episode, there's no turning back. :)

11. - Top - End - #101
    Banned

What is this, really what is this?

Also, why is everyone here really interested in my little pony, it's a kids show, I just don't get it.
    WHY IS THIS.
    try it, friend. Pull up YouTube, look for Flutterguy, winter wrap up, watch a couple episodes.

After all, youcant ask a bunch of people why they like steak when you'venever had steak; because you won't understand the answer. The best thing you can do is try some steak, cooked in different ways, and then you'll understand, one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    A'ight, s'okay, I get you, man. I feel the pain. I felt it to, no worries. It puts you off, being a little girl's cartoon about magical ponies with fashion and sleepovers and whatnot..
    haha. You know, I keep forgetting about this part here. I guess when you take a couple steps back, it does seem absurd.
    And my signature may rob me of any legitimacy... Har.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2011-04-24 at 06:10 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Last chance to voice any corrections to the banner before I start prepping it for submission. (WARNING: STILL REALLY HUGE)

13. - Top - End - #103
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Because ponies make everything more epic.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    Last chance to voice any corrections to the banner before I start prepping it for submission. (WARNING: STILL REALLY HUGE)
    Wasn't able to get the SVG file, so I'm out!

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    Firstly, one thing I'd love to see become a running gag (note: minor spoiler of this week's episode).

Spoiler
    Show
    The Quills and Sofas thing. I love the idea that every shop in Ponyville sells two random and utterly unrelated things. Things I've come up with so far:

Cat Toys and Smoothies
    Seeds and Baby Supplies
    Books and Rakes
    Wait, wait this raises a major question. Was the fact that they were out of quills actually a subtle Monty Python reference (to the cheese shop)? That would be epic beyond all words if it were true.

@Xelliea
    Have you watched it yet? I can't tell if you're just trying to get us to defend the show or truly and sincerely interested, but if you care enough to post multiple times in this thread, you should definitely go watch the pilot and perhaps Sonic Rainboom and then come back and report on what you think.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2011-04-24 at 06:25 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

16. - Top - End - #106
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many people go to Twilight's house daily. Isn't it supposed to be the public library?

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Wait, wait this raises a major question. Was the fact that they were out of quills actually a subtle Monty Python reference (to the cheese shop)? That would be epic beyond all words if it were true.
    Entirely possible, though it'd one of those references that's so subtle that it's hard to tell if it's there or not. I'd believe either way.

Hm. We need to investigate this. I guess it's time for a trip down to Private Investigators and Easy Chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by dromer View Post
    Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many people go to Twilight's house daily. Isn't it supposed to be the public library?
    We've never seen anyone check out a book. Either she's the librarian off camera, the way we see Pinkie do things besides bake and plan parties and Applejack do more than buck apples, or else she just waltzed into town and annexed the town library for her own purposes.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-04-24 at 06:29 PM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Hadessniper View Post
    Okay being new to the fandom I have to ask, does everyone else dislike Rarity? I just finished the sleep over episode and I've yet to notice redeeming quality for her.
    I disliked her at first, but then she grew on me. Especially by the time we reached Suited for Success, by that point she was one of my top 6 favorites.

Just watch an episode on youtube. It'll take 20 minutes. Even if you don't like it, you'll probably see why so many people do.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

So... New Ep: writer: Cindy Morrow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Griffon the Brush-Off
    Winter Wrap Up
    The Show Stoppers
    OWTEW

Huh, guess who was right saying decent writers don't work well with money-sawing episodes? :P

Notes:

Pinkie keeps highly edible bird that can be used in a meat pie in a bakery. Same with ketchup, seeing the most likely usage of it. Another proof for omnivores

Green dragon in the forest. Someone plays D&D there :P A side note, why Spike looked so derp transformed by Twilight in CMC? Every other dragon looks awesome, but not him.

The book plot point was rather lame and suddenly dropped, seeing how valuable it must have been. And how it got so dusty if Twilight is using it?

A side note, what about Twilight's 'portable map of the sky'? :P

Also, idiot ball strikes back.

Another side note, showing bloody, torn corpse without actually showing it... nice Though, if there are mice in village, it begs the question why bakery doesn't keep a cat, but boutique does.

Overall, it was... not weak episode, but completely devoid of any tension, sanitized to PG-3 levels,with no one but Twilight/Spike doing anything. If only that owl wasn't a bland plot item...

I know Pinkie Pie said "delish," which greatly upset me.
    ?

I'd also comment on the 'how magic works' posts as I liked them, but unlike nr IV, thread nr V was actually locked, ruining any possibility of easy quoting
    Last edited by Irbis; 2011-04-24 at 06:45 PM.
    Above Us Only Sky

20. - Top - End - #110

We've never seen anyone check out a book. Either she's the librarian off camera, the way we see Pinkie do things besides bake and plan parties and Applejack do more than buck apples, or else she just waltzed into town and annexed the town library for her own purposes.
    I always assumed Celestia was like, 'Since you guys have this giant library that's pretty much a home, I've got a student going there. Either that or to house Celestia's students was its original purpose.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

I've always suspected Pinkie Pie was the town Librarian until Twilight showed up.

Every pony in town is incredibly grateful that Twilight showed up.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    I've always suspected Pinkie Pie was the town Librarian until Twilight showed up.

Every pony in town is incredibly grateful that Twilight showed up.
    And yet, this explains perfectly why Pinkie always knows where the books are.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

And yet, this explains perfectly why Pinkie always knows where the books are.
    Exactly.

It also fits with my "Pinkie Pie is an idiotsilly savant, who hides a level of sheer brilliance beneath her affection for party and fun.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post
    ?
    I don't like the use of such slang. It bothers me in real life, and it really disappointed me in MLP.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Another side note, showing bloody, torn corpse without actually showing it... nice Though, if there are mice in village, it begs the question why bakery doesn't keep a cat, but boutique does.
    Presumably mice are friends and not pests.

If only that owl wasn't a bland plot item...
    On the other hand, Owluwicious is an awesome name.
    Last edited by averagejoe; 2011-04-24 at 06:58 PM.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    I don't like the use of such slang. It bothers me in real life, and it really disappointed me in MLP.
    Slang?

Presumably mice are friends and not pests.
    Fluttershy keeps ferrets. Rarity has a cat. Unles thy made them vegetarian, too...

On the other hand, Owluwicious is an awesome name.
    Actually, CC say it's Aloysius. Normal name, no pun.
    Last edited by Irbis; 2011-04-24 at 07:00 PM.
    Above Us Only Sky

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Slang?
    Shortening it to delish instead of saying delicious.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    Shortening it to delish instead of saying delicious.
    Hmm, I never heard it was slang, I thought it was normal word

But then again, English is my third language and I still struggle with it.
    Above Us Only Sky

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, I never heard it was slang, I thought it was normal word

But then again, English is my third language and I still struggle with it.
    Deine Englisch ist besser am mein Deutsch.

Sorry if I managed that as badly as I think I did; I haven't used German since high school.

Actually, Irbis, would you mind helping me translate something for the next chapter of FFF?

Don't look if you don't want minor joke spoilers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nicht wan sie Deutsch sprechen! Heute es Dienstag und es hat keine "y!" (what I mean to say: "Not when you speak German! Today is Tuesday, and it doesn't have a y!")

Also, Fluttershy feeds her ferrets fish. Clearly, if you aren't an endotherm, Fluttershy doesn't care.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-04-24 at 07:13 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    Exactly.

It also fits with my "Pinkie Pie is an idiotsilly savant, who hides a level of sheer brilliance beneath her affection for party and fun.
    One day Twilight will find the spell to enter people's minds. She'll enter Pinkie's, and it will be Mechanus.
    Last edited by dromer; 2011-04-24 at 07:14 PM.