New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXV: DJ Callan Turns the Tables

Quote Originally Posted by TheArsenal View Post
    No it doesn't. Just trace to where the signature ends. You'l find the person there.
    A scrying signature, to me, would logically begin and end at the focus. What do you do if there's no focus to trace back to?

Its great that this has always been, from the very beginning a established part of his charact-oh wait. No. No it hasn't.
    Isn't it great that we have a golem who has been constructed from hundreds of different bodies who has been established as having, due to the magic involved in bestowing life unto him, abilities based on the bodies he is assembled from?

Scrying
    Powers from parts
    Even parts of his personality are based on his parts.

But I should be working on a paper rather than archive trawling this.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXV: DJ Callan Turns the Tables

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    A scrying signature, to me, would logically begin and end at the focus. What do you do if there's no focus to trace back to?
    A line that ends at a focus. Its near the Scryer. Kill the Scryer.

Isn't it great that we have a golem who has been constructed from hundreds of different bodies who has been established as having, due to the magic involved in bestowing life unto him, abilities based on the bodies he is assembled from?
    Which makes no sense. Yep. How does one get abilities from a sown in finger? How?

Even parts of his personality are based on his parts
    HOW! HOW! HOW! HOW! DOES THAT MAKE A LICK OF SENSE! AAAAAARG!

3. - Top - End - #423
    Barbarian in the Playground

Again. That doesn't make sense. Its like being unable to trace a lazer from which direction it came from (And it leaves behind a yellow line). Just follow the line. who cares if the lazer is destroyed!
    It's true that when you use tracer rounds, people can see where the bullets are coming from just as easily as where they're going. Where in canon was it ever indicated that magic uses tracers?
    When the police find bullets, they don't have folks' address written on them :3 (yeah yeah serial numbers maybe traceable look that's a consequence of gun control laws that Callan doesn't apparently have)
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

4. - Top - End - #424
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Now you're getting into metaphysics. Bubbles are just air, water and soap; popping a bubble doesn't remove any of those components, they just get spread out across the surrounding area. The area that someone is trying to locate.

Quote Originally Posted by TheArsenal
    HOW! HOW! HOW! HOW! DOES THAT MAKE A LICK OF SENSE! AAAAAARG!
    ....Actually has grounding in reality, strangely enough.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2011-04-28 at 05:34 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Now you're getting into metaphysics. Bubbles are just air, water and soap; popping a bubble doesn't remove any of those components, they just get spread out across the surrounding area. The area that someone is trying to locate.

The bubble form is really what's being used to focus here, though, not the matter making up the bubble.

Traditionally, scrying is done with some smooth and translucent surface for a focus and that disturbing the focus can ruin the scrying, which is why objects such as mirrors or crystal balls tend to be used for such attempts due to their more rigid nature. A scrying pool works, but rippling the water can screw things up. Completely destroying the surface, like popping a bubble for example, would be even more extreme.
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

AGa ga ga ga ag ag

Did anybody know this? I didnt!

7. - Top - End - #427

I didn't either, but I wouldn't blame Mookie for using them. I mean, Dwarves, Elves and such are used in multiple fantasy universes too.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, they've been around a while and aren't some horrible thing to use. Heck, Mookie's use is unusual in that his Mongrelfolk don't actually seem to share ancestry with any of the other races. So points for originality.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Im not accusing him of plagarsim. Just never knew it before.

10. - Top - End - #430

PirateGuy

Which makes no sense. Yep. How does one get abilities from a sown in finger? How?
    You swallow "magical golem" and not "body memory" or "necromantic recall?'

This is a golem held together by necromancy. One of the main points of generic necromancy is to recall the knowledge of the dead. This really isn't that unintuitive or out there. Now having a relatively innocent soul in a creature held together by black magic, that's a bit out there, but you whistled right past that one so...

11. - Top - End - #431
    Bugbear in the Playground

AGa ga ga ga ag ag

Did anybody know this? I didnt!
    I think Mookie mentioned when Bort first appeared that Bort was a short story character of his inspired from encountering mogrelfolk in D&D and really liking them.

12. - Top - End - #432

Read it here folks!

Link.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ettin in the Playground

And that is why we refer to Bort as the Progenitor.

14. - Top - End - #434

Sneaky Gate is opened for all to behold!

Future Link.

I'm not spoiling this; too good to spoil!
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

15. - Top - End - #435

GnomeWizardGuy

Oh my, what a twist! No-one could forsee this! No-one.

And of course such a shocking development requires the dedication of an entire strip! Why, a whole week dedicated to this would not be amiss!
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2011-04-29 at 01:01 AM.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ettin in the Playground

The joke would have worked better if Pam actually exhibited a bubble butt. At least it has more dimension than Luna's inverted pancake.

And hey, a callback joke too.

17. - Top - End - #437

Absolutely ZERO plot advancement. What a surprise.
    Last edited by Humbug; 2011-04-29 at 01:07 AM.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

Just for reference, this was the first real comic this week.

Where did we get in that time? Here?

For reference, these are the three updates for Girl Genius this week; a week, I hasten to add, that was really slow even for Girl Genius (which is approaching Megatokyon levels of pacing!).

Look upon these works and despair, people! Even on a really bad week, Studio Foglio managed to squeeze in some character development within 3 updates while Mookie did absolutely nothing in four!

Also: !
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2011-04-29 at 01:04 AM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Why does Mookie think that this particular gag is worth rehashing over and over and over? It wasn't funny the first time.

Also, isn't Friday supposed to be some hackneyed and unsurprising cliffhanger? I mean, I'm pleasantly surprised that it's not, but at this point, it almost feels like Mookie, well, forgot to move the plot forward enough to give us a cliff to hang from.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2011-04-29 at 01:08 AM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

20. - Top - End - #440

I hope by the time they find Celesto his mind's already been consumed by Snuggly and his body is an empty husk. Just to cement how utterly incompetent they all are.

21. - Top - End - #441

Imp

Why does Mookie hate smart, competent women?
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

For some idiotic reason, this joke is going to turn out to be an important plot point.

23. - Top - End - #443

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Speaking of which, what ever happened to Curly?
    Last I saw of her was in one of the My Little Pony threads. Ah well, distractions: it happens to the best of us.

On today's comic: That's what you get for entrusting your all-important task to Quilt, Luna! That's. What. You. Get.
    LGBTitP

24. - Top - End - #444

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Why does Mookie hate smart, competent women?
    In addition, why does Mookie hate humour?

Seriously, he killed yet another joke, lame as it was, by bolding and spelling it out again.

Also, isn't it sad that the first time we seen Pam, arguable one of the only enjoyable characters left, in a long while, is so that the wacky zombie can ogle her while making a crude pun?
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

25. - Top - End - #445

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by colonelslime View Post
    Also, isn't it sad that the first time we seen Pam, arguable one of the only enjoyable characters left, in a long while, is so that the wacky zombie can ogle her while making a crude pun?
    What bothers me is that the wacky zombie actually wants to ogle her. Isn't Quilt meant to have the personality of an overgrown child? When did he get a sex drive? (Answer: when everyone's characterisation morphed into a single indistinct bland blob)

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    What bothers me is that the wacky zombie actually wants to ogle her. Isn't Quilt meant to have the personality of an overgrown child? When did he get a sex drive? (Answer: when everyone's characterisation morphed into a single indistinct bland blob)

Maybe one of the Chosen he's made from was just about to hit puberty when they all died and Quilt is just now getting that part?

If the comic was a simple comedy comic I could see that as an interesting avenue to explore.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

This week has been one of the WORST.

Here is a list of stuff It did terribly:

No Plot development (Duh)
    Made me Mad and Confused about the Golem Creation rules (Im to tired to argue over it again. Its not worth it)
    Made me mad and confused about the scrying rules (Again) And I dont want to argue anyway.
    Repeated poor jokes over and over
    Random introduction as quilt as a non-baffoon character and as a horny master scryer with absolutly no pre mentioning.

Im just so....tired honestly. Its just so boring.

I just noticed that Traizoi is now completly back. Hotel California indeed.

28. - Top - End - #448

Default you guys better not ninja this. Irony and all.

I just noticed that Traizoi is now completly back. Hotel California indeed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

29. - Top - End - #449
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: you guys better not ninja this. Irony and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah yeah.

30. - Top - End - #450

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    This can only mean Jacob put a weiner on his meat golem. The question is why? ...And do we wanna know why?