New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony VIII: Friendship is Music

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    In my fanon, Dash will always be hetero. Forever.

I don't see why a tomboy personality = lesbian to be honest.
    I'm still not convinced Dash is a girl =/ maybe it's because i think of all the ponies as children and she sounds like a young boy... or maybe it's because when i first saw her, she was alone in the scene with Fluttershy's cheer, before i knew that male and female MLPonies were drawn differently... or a combination of the two
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2011-05-24 at 08:01 PM.
    Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I'm still not convinced Dash is a girl =/ maybe it's because i think of all the ponies as children and she sounds like a young boy... or maybe it's because when i first saw her, she was alone in the scene with Fluttershy's cheer, before i knew that male and female MLPonies were drawn differently... or a combination of the two
    ... Ok, now that is insulting.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Troll in the Playground

Funny thing. The first time I saw Fluttershy, I heard her with the Flutterguy voice, so I thought for a while that she was the token boy and a severe bishounen at that.

Edit: I can sorta hear it; it's the sort of voice that could come out of a boy in a cartoon, but it's also a tomboy voice. Like, watch Recess and listen to Spinelli. She sounds almost exactly the same, to the point that a lot of people mistakenly assume they have the same actress.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-05-24 at 08:07 PM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

4. - Top - End - #694
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ... Ok, now that is insulting.
    I don't mean to be

Extended Sig

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ogre in the Playground

Is it bad that this is the entire reason I think Rainbow's dress for the gala is the best one? Seriously, I kept having to remind myself through the series that she's a girl that it was good to have her wearing something that made it hard to forget.

EDIT:
    Actually, poor choice of words on my part. The dresses were supposed to make them all look pretty, and the difference is made a little more extreme when put on a tomboy character.
    Last edited by Kyouhen; 2011-05-24 at 08:16 PM.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ogre in the Playground

RD's dress is freaking fantastic. I am happy that she can dress up like a girl and not even feel the slightest bit weird about it. A much more positive portrayal of an athletic, competitive, aggressive female than many kid cartoons do. Plus, it's a great design.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post
    RD's dress is freaking fantastic. I am happy that she can dress up like a girl and not even feel the slightest bit weird about it. A much more positive portrayal of an athletic, competitive, aggressive female than many kid cartoons do. Plus, it's a great design.
    Yeah. Her portrayal is on par with Rarity. I can't remember the last time a traditionally feminine character was anything but a stepford housewife type or a complete bitch.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-05-24 at 08:28 PM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

8. - Top - End - #698
    Ettin in the Playground

See, I don't know if you guys realize how hurtful these sorts of stands are. I know that a huge portion of the fanbase claims Dash as a lesbian because she wears a rainbow on her head and they think that's just hilarious, but... well, let's break this down a little bit further.

I thought Rainbow Dash batted for my team before I ever interacted with another member of the fanbase. I was thrilled (and then later crushed) to learn that it was practically the accepted opinion. Why do I think that? Well I explained to Bobcat it's because I see a lot of myself in her, but apart from that... I think about it, and it feels right. That's all I can do. Being a lesbian is not a disease. You can't look for symptoms and diagnose it. There's stereotypes, but there's no signs that people (or ponies) are gay. People are people. Ponies are ponies. Individuals are individuals. And when you say things like you did, what I see is somepony attacking the idea of a gay character. And I see no small level of insulted feelings on your part. People... ponies... whatever... you're bothered by the interpretation. Like it's somehow unacceptable.

I don't mean to project; I'm sure you don't mean to be spiteful. You're reacting to a lot of stupid people on the internet and that's your right. I can't tell you how to interpret a character or how you should feel. Just, please know that when it comes down to planting flags and waving banners, it's progressed to a point where somepony real is getting hurt.

Slight topic shift, but Rainbow Dash is an athlete. She likes physicality and competition, and she's practical minded in regard to those things. This does not make her a tomboy. I reject wholesale any notion of femininity that requires us not to take an interest in such things. She's a mare. She is not afraid to be a mare. She wears dresses, she dotes on cute things, she does all of these traditionally feminine things without fear. Because she's a mare, and an athlete, and these things are not mutually exclusive. They don't make her weird. In the same way it's unfair to boil down Rarity to the prissy helpless fashionista archetype, it's not fair to point at Rainbow Dash and say, "tomboy".

*deep breath* I swear I don't mean to start fights with this stuff, but... you get it, right? Where I'm coming from? How this is important?

9. - Top - End - #699
    Troll in the Playground

See, I don't know if you guys realize how hurtful these sorts of stands are. I know that a huge portion of the fanbase claims Dash as a lesbian because she wears a rainbow on her head and they think that's just hilarious, but... well, let's break this down a little bit further.

I thought Rainbow Dash batted for my team before I ever interacted with another member of the fanbase. I was thrilled (and then later crushed) to learn that it was practically the accepted opinion. Why do I think that? Well I explained to Bobcat it's because I see a lot of myself in her, but apart from that... I think about it, and it feels right. That's all I can do. Being a lesbian is not a disease. You can't look for symptoms and diagnose it. There's stereotypes, but there's no signs that people (or ponies) are gay. People are people. Ponies are ponies. Individuals are individuals. And when you say things like you did, what I see is somepony attacking the idea of a gay character. And I see no small level of insulted feelings on your part. People... ponies... whatever... you're bothered by the interpretation. Like it's somehow unacceptable.

I don't mean to project; I'm sure you don't mean to be spiteful. You're reacting to a lot of stupid people on the internet and that's your right. I can't tell you how to interpret a character or how you should feel. Just, please know that when it comes down to planting flags and waving banners, it's progressed to a point where somepony real is getting hurt.

Slight topic shift, but Rainbow Dash is an athlete. She likes physicality and competition, and she's practical minded in regard to those things. This does not make her a tomboy. I reject wholesale any notion of femininity that requires us not to take an interest in such things. She's a mare. She is not afraid to be a mare. She wears dresses, she dotes on cute things, she does all of these traditionally feminine things without fear. Because she's a mare, and an athlete, and these things are not mutually exclusive. They don't make her weird. In the same way it's unfair to boil down Rarity to the prissy helpless fashionista archetype, it's not fair to point at Rainbow Dash and say, "tomboy".

*deep breath* I swear I don't mean to start fights with this stuff, but... you get it, right? Where I'm coming from? How this is important?
    I didn't mean anything by the use of the term tomboy. I don't personally use it as a putdown of any sort, but I'll stop using it if it grates on you.

Sorry for my part in making the thread hostile to you the last few days. I really didn't intend it.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-05-24 at 08:36 PM.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    Hey guys! Hey guys! Guys! Guys!

Know that thing I was working on?

Spoiler
    Show

It's done!
    I don't know who Creed is, but this is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post
    *yawn*

Thanks a tonne!

11. - Top - End - #701
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post

Thanks a tonne!
    Creed is the owner of the world's largest collection of Pinkie Pie/Rainbow Dash fanfiction.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Titan in the Playground

-snip-

No, i don't see where you're coming from. I do NOT see why this is insulting to you.

No, it's not a sickness. But sicknesses are not the only things that have symptoms. As an example, asperbergers and introversion are not sicknesses (imo, anyway, the former is categorized with autism) but they have signs, they can be diagnosed. Homosexuality has similar signs, some genetic or behavioral (though the latter has many false behaviors assigned to it). But those are mostly useless in an animated series anyway.

To declare definitively that someone is of a certain sexuality, you either need to ask them or be shown, and then be further shown that they are not of another sexuality (homo, hetero, bi). While I will admit I see no reason for Dash to be straight (with the exception of Rarity i don't see such signs in any of the ponies) in several conversations i've had outside the forum, she's been definitely labeled as a lesbian. For no apparent reason. THAT is unacceptable to me - to apply a label of any kind with no definitive reasoning. Not specifically 'lesbian' - just about anything that is applied with no base.

Furthermore, the actual comment you quoted showed that Phoe didn't understand those 'flags' you mentioned was used, either.

Extended Sig

13. - Top - End - #703
    Troll in the Playground

Guys, this is swiftly going in Non Friendship directions.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, time for me to have a nice long filibuster.

I'm a believer in the Multiple Gensokyo Theory. There are as many variations of an imaginary world as people dare to believe.

And yours is special. Because there, there's a rainbow-haired pony who's a bundle of insecurities wrapped up inside a shell of bravado. And she's a lesbian. She can't be anything else, you've known that since you entered Equestria. That's a part of the world you've dreamed, and it's a part of you in a way.

But there are just as many Equestrias as people dare to fantasize, and Rainbow Dash might be looking for the right colt in some. Not because the creators of that world hate lesbian characters, but because they heard a boy's voice and it sunk down into the bedrock and can't be dislodged, or because they don't look at the world the same way you do, or because they wish they had a girl like Rainbow Dash, or because she just was from the very start.

It's not an attack on your Equestria, it's just a simple fact of theirs. It's like, um, the vase/two-men picture, you know the one. Some people will see the vase, some people will see the two men. That vase means something special to you, but there are some people who just can't see the vase and just see two men staring at each other.

My pony isn't your pony, because I'm not you. My Rarity is a wonderful, determined artist who I'd like to live up to, while your Rarity might be a gold-digger with a big heart, and you don't see the artistic aspects of your Rarity as much. That's fine, that's the nature of a fandom, of imagination itself. My Rainbow Dash, I will admit, has an eye for the colts. Because that's the way I see the two men. But I can see how you see the vase, and that's important. And I understand that I can't slap you upside the head and say, "It's obviously two men, can't you see that?" And if I say, "I see two men," I don't mean to disrespect that beautiful vase that means so much to you, it's just that I can't see the vase the way you see the vase.

Treat what you want to believe as your own truths about Equestria. Rainbow Dash is a part of you; that's your truth. It's yours and don't let anyone take it from you. Doing so is worse than foolish.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Ogre in the Playground

Creed's a character from Warhammer 40k. Know that thing Pinkie Pie does where she randomly pops up out of nowhere? Creed does that. With tanks. Tanks the size of a city block.

I figured it would be funny if Pinkie Pie kept doing that because Creed was helping her. And for some reason I decided Creed likes trolling Rainbow Dash. Was originally going to have the screens in the background showing Pinkie getting Twilight and the CMC too, but eventually decided it would be more hilarious if it looked like he just liked messing with Dash.

And now something cute to get rid of the bad vibes in the thread.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #706
    Titan in the Playground

Gonna have to agree with darth, sounds like it's time for an IMAGE DUMP.

Or it would be if my usual supplier didn't choose this moment to go all wonky. I'll post one when it's back up.

EDIT: Hm? I was ninja'd? What could this possibly belkesjlkdjflskdjfsldkjfslkdCRITICAL D'AWWWWW OVERLOAD.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2011-05-24 at 09:13 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Okay, time for me to have a nice long filibuster.

I'm a believer in the Multiple Gensokyo Theory. There are as many variations of an imaginary world as people dare to believe.

And yours is special. Because there, there's a rainbow-haired pony who's a bundle of insecurities wrapped up inside a shell of bravado. And she's a lesbian. She can't be anything else, you've known that since you entered Equestria. That's a part of the world you've dreamed, and it's a part of you in a way.

But there are just as many Equestrias as people dare to fantasize, and Rainbow Dash might be looking for the right colt in some. Not because the creators of that world hate lesbian characters, but because they heard a boy's voice and it sunk down into the bedrock and can't be dislodged, or because they don't look at the world the same way you do, or because they wish they had a girl like Rainbow Dash, or because she just was from the very start.

It's not an attack on your Equestria, it's just a simple fact of theirs. It's like, um, the vase/two-men picture, you know the one. Some people will see the vase, some people will see the two men. That vase means something special to you, but there are some people who just can't see the vase and just see two men staring at each other.

My pony isn't your pony, because I'm not you. My Rarity is a wonderful, determined artist who I'd like to live up to, while your Rarity might be a gold-digger with a big heart, and you don't see the artistic aspects of your Rarity as much. That's fine, that's the nature of a fandom, of imagination itself. My Rainbow Dash, I will admit, has an eye for the colts. Because that's the way I see the two men. But I can see how you see the vase, and that's important. And I understand that I can't slap you upside the head and say, "It's obviously two men, can't you see that?" And if I say, "I see two men," I don't mean to disrespect that beautiful vase that means so much to you, it's just that I can't see the vase the way you see the vase.

Treat what you want to believe as your own truths about Equestria. Rainbow Dash is a part of you; that's your truth. It's yours and don't let anyone take it from you. Doing so is worse than foolish.
    This. This totally. To me, Dash is a tomboy. (sorry, that is what she is to me. I do not mean any disrespect when I say this, believe me). But this is strictly what I see of her. I do not... and will not impose that view on anyone else.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Ettin in the Playground

Activate the orbital friendship cannon! FIRE!
    ....Once I find the pic.

Anyone know if that thing has long-term side effects from firing it so often? Probably not....
    Why am I glowing green?
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2011-05-24 at 09:20 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

19. - Top - End - #709
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    Activate the orbital friendship cannon! FIRE!
    ....Once I find the pic.

Anyone know if that thing has long-term side effects from firing it so often? Probably not....
    Why am I glowing green?
    Better question. Why are there five you?

And why are you all different colors *blink blink*

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #710
    Banned

Oh ye gods pony physics.
    I must resort to Kung Fu.

HOOF OF THE BROTHERHOOD FIST! *brohoof*

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    Hey guys, image dump time.

Spoiler
    Show

And a cute Fluttershy PMV. http://vimeo.com/24149535
    ... I'm dumb and now I can't tell the images apart :/
    Anyway. That Luna Vader one is going on my wall, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionoftheVoid View Post
    I got mine, too! Zephyr Leadwing, a pegasus scared of heights. Wears waistcoats (because waistcoats are awesome) and glasses (as a pegasus, his vision is fine but he likes the look and he doesn't fly so they won't fall off in flight).

Also, thank you to the person who posted the picture of archaic Luna, I'd been looking for that.
    Sorry mate! I remember you saying no to Flock Steelfeather, Ace dogfighter, and that was that. By the way, I only threw that out because it's the kind of name you can't say without the title

Also, archaic Luna? Wha?

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Did you notice that
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spike
    Spoiler
    Show
    has a crush
    Spoiler
    Show
    on Rarity?
    *sigh* my client, Spike, is weary of these baseless accusations! Locks of hair, a small shrine, a telescope out the window, sketches, witnesses and a verbal confession aren't nearly enough evidence to hold this sort of thing over his head.

Next you'll say he's a donutaholic *rolls eyes*

Quote Originally Posted by Ceric View Post
    I did mine, too! It just looked like the thread had moved past it by then >.> My first name means "ewe" and my middle means "rational", so I'm a unicorn philosopher named Woolly Thinking Fuzzy Logic Alternately, my first name refers to innocence, so my pony name could be Pure Thought. But that's not as descriptive of a character as Fuzzy Logic is.
    Fuzzy Logic is awesome! Pure Thought (or maybe Clear Thought?) could be a pony martial artist, though. But I like the thought of Fuzzy Logic as sort of an old-School Gene Wilder Willie Wonka scientist.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    I tried pony-fying my name, but I don't think that literal thinking was the issue here:

Me: "Let's see here, first name means...'Gift of Peace'. Nice, nice, I can work with that. Now all I need is a decent last name and I'm set-"

*finds out last name translates to "A Twin"*

Me: Huh. Well, that's no good. Ooh! Maybe my middle name will be bet-

*finds out middle name is "God is My Judge"*

Me:

If anyone can make that mess into a decent name, then I will give you a cookie with HUGS and FRIENDSHIP.
    Well, judged by god = banished to the moon, twins = siblings, gift of peace means gift of peace. We can combine judged by god and twins together using the Royal sisters as the link. Peace can arrive once Luna is banished, even.

The younger twin, Luna, is banished to the moon, which is twin to the sun and hangs peacefully in the sky.
    How about Long Vigil, and a cutie mark of the moon reflected in a lake?

It's hard to do without knowing you as a person, but the key is to ride up and down the spectrum of concretion and abstraction until everything is about even, then run with it.

@1: Dammit Twilight, not THAT kind of rapture!
    Had a friend see that picture. Their response was "in the Rapture, we all turn to ponies? Sweeeet~"

Let's be fair. In the pilot, RD's first appearance had her as sweet, flirty, mischievous, and flirty. Also, she was All. Over. Twilight. Her first appearance didn't give me a Tomboy or straight vibe. However...

You're reacting to a lot of stupid people on the internet and that's your right. I can't tell you how to interpret a character or how you should feel. Just, please know that when it comes down to planting flags and waving banners, it's progressed to a point where somepony real is getting hurt.
    This is actually why I think of Rainbow Dash based on which continuity I'm plumbing. Because someone I won't mention, except to say his name is Darth Bob Cat, his avatar is a falcon and I am also pointing right at him, made me wonder about Rainbow Dash's feelings on the matter. Having been through an American highschool, I know how life-altering it is to be called that when you're not, or straight when you're not, or really just labeled and dismissed in general. I stopped labeling the (admittedly stereotypical) pony when I started to hurt my own feelings, wondering if I had hurt hers.

Between that and Rarity, my tolerance has sky-rocketed as far as judging folks.

I reject wholesale any notion of femininity that requires us not to take an interest in such things. She's a mare. She is not afraid to be a mare. She wears dresses, she dotes on cute things, she does all of these traditionally feminine things without fear. Because she's a mare, and an athlete, and these things are not mutually exclusive.
    I second this with every fiber of my being. Even the judgmental parts that fall prey to doing just this (because now my judgmental part feels bad).

Thanks a tonne!
    Is there a difference between ton and tonne? If so, what? The Internet has been less than helpful.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Ettin in the Playground

I have no idea what you are talking about.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ogre in the Playground

For that matter, what do you power that thing with?

23. - Top - End - #713
    Ettin in the Playground

Black Mage powers his Hadokens with love. /8-bit theater reference
    I power the friendship cannon with raw hate. It gets converted mid-transit, a whole science behind it.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2011-05-24 at 09:27 PM.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Ogre in the Playground

Uhh...friendship? Magic?

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

Power rangers

Terrible music and worse dialogue.

Equestria imports the ammo from 'Batman and Robin', Sonic games and Pop divas.

I power the friendship cannon with raw hate.
    "I'm not sure how much, but i'm told that the divorce rate goes up with each blast."
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2011-05-24 at 09:27 PM.

Extended Sig

26. - Top - End - #716
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Is there a difference between ton and tonne? If so, what? The Internet has been less than helpful.
    Option 1: Ton is the Americanization of Tonne
    Option 2: THANQOL KNOW WORDS GUD DERP

27. - Top - End - #717
    Ettin in the Playground

Just noticed.

Pony Creed is awesome. Do Ciaphas Cain. PLEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEE!

28. - Top - End - #718
    Troll in the Playground

Rainbows are a hell of a drug.

Also

DID SOMEPONY SAY IMAGE DUMP?

Spoiler
    Show

Also, Welf, I seem to have misplaced the image of that really cute OC pony you posted the other day. Would you mind reposting it?

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ogre in the Playground

I power the friendship cannon with raw hate. It gets converted mid-transit, a whole science behind it.
    So... What happens if Black Mage channels his Hadoken into the Friendship Cannon which then channels into his Hadoken?

Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post
    Uhh...friendship? Magic?
    It's fuelled by friendship and shoots raw friendship? What happens to the source of friendship?

It's like listening to a rainbow in surround sound...

Terrible music and worse dialogue.

Equestria imports the ammo from 'Batman and Robin', Sonic games and Pop divas.
    Huh, well that explains why the show is so good.

And no, there's nothing suspicious about me inquiring as to the finer details of the Friendship Cannon's operation. Why do you ask?

30. - Top - End - #720
    Ettin in the Playground

It's fuelled by friendship and shoots raw friendship? What happens to the source of friendship?
    Friendship generates more friendship. Congratulation sir, you discovered perpetual energy.