New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XVI: There's a Pony for That!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    The main problem is that this is a group of newer players, so I'm not sure how they'll do. They understand the rules well enough, and they've come up with crazy plans before, so there's no worries there. This is partially me testing their skill in battle, partially me showing them what a difficult combat looks like.

With that in mind, I don't think I'd throw anything higher than 5th level spells at them. I could be persuaded to throw a 6th level spell at them, provided the reasoning was sound and it wouldn't murder them completely.

EDIT: Basically, I'm open for ideas, and I can decide, based on my knowledge of how good they are, what will and won't utterly destroy them.
    My suggestion would be to give her a shapechanging ability of some kind, as well as a large amount of Illusion and Enchantment spells. Keep in mind, Nightmare Moon avoided actually directly fighting the ponies until they reached the elements of harmony, instead relying on trickery and deceit. My guess would be she would have limited ability to combat them directly, maybe something like Shadow Evocation and Shadow Conjuration, and most of her combat tactics would revolve around dividing and neutralizing the party through illusions.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

2. - Top - End - #392
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    Rassn frassn. Friend of mine pointed out flaws in my Caramel/Fluttershy plot. Pretty much had to toss it out entirely, I can't come up with a replacement and I'm frustrated.
    Fluttershy decides to take a serious stab at learning to sew instead of just reading about it all the time. However, her obvious go-to source, Rarity, doesn't know much about non-telekinetic or non-machine sewing (that is, sewing with the hoof/mouth). After some non-starters, Fluttershy goes to Just Sewing Supplies to return what's left of her fabric when the older shop owner comments that there's one pony in town who could really help her out.
    Seems like it could work. I'm not sure what the older, non-working part was in the previous revision, though, so I can't say if it fixes the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Have you writers ever felt like working on a great idea, before getting stuck on a rut somewhere then feeling the whole thing was a total waste of time?
    Given that I haven't completed writing anything yet, it's more of a combination of too distracted/this doesn't work/WHY AM I DOING THIS?!

I've written other things that just... didn't work out, previous to this. Assuming I actually finish what I'm working on, this would be my first time showing fanfiction to another person.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    How many fanfiction writers do we have here? I've never written fanfiction before, but I may have to learn if I'm going to make the MLP/VeggieTales crossover a reality.
    The first post has a list of forumers who have written something (and links to their work). A crossover would be rather difficult, I would think, especially because you're trying to match the theme to two different settings at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Does anypony know the effects of changing size in 3.5 D&D?specifically effects independent from he spell or power which forced the size change. I can't find it.
    Technically, none. This chart is the ability score changes for shifting a monster up or down one size (through HD progression) and there are the Enlarge Person/Reduce Person modifiers. Roughly, you are looking at around +4 STR, -2 DEX, and the size change modifiers itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    Kai has a pet cloud. What? Clouds aren't sentient? Don't mind them Fluffy, they are just jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    ...horde...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    ...horde...hordes...hordes...
    This conversation has led to a lot of interesting mental images.
    Last edited by erikun; 2011-07-20 at 08:59 PM.
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

3. - Top - End - #393
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    L-Let's not go crazy, eh? We're all friends here! ^^:
    These are not mutually exclusive. Particularly not here!
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

EEP! I Warn you! I'm armed and will defend myself if necessary!

L-Let's not go crazy, eh? We're all friends here! ^^:

Pretty sure you'd need to do something new for the competition, rather than use a premade character. I'd have to ask.
    HE'S GOT A MUFFIN!
    *Ducks for cover*

5. - Top - End - #395
    Bugbear in the Playground

Pretty sure you'd need to do something new for the competition, rather than use a premade character. I'd have to ask.
    That wouldn't surprise me, or else I'd pretty much have a serious head start. I might ask myself, just out of curiosity.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I submitted No Tame Forest to EqD. We'll see if it gets accepted and what kind of reaction it gets. Cross your fingers for me!

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm, Pinkie Pie's Pinkie launcher vs. Derpy's muffinzooka.
    There is only one appropriate response to this:

Spoiler
    Show
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    My suggestion would be to give her a shapechanging ability of some kind, as well as a large amount of Illusion and Enchantment spells. Keep in mind, Nightmare Moon avoided actually directly fighting the ponies until they reached the elements of harmony, instead relying on trickery and deceit. My guess would be she would have limited ability to combat them directly, maybe something like Shadow Evocation and Shadow Conjuration, and most of her combat tactics would revolve around dividing and neutralizing the party through illusions.
    Hmmm, I was originally thinking she only did that to stop them from getting to the Elements of Harmony, but by all means if she could have taken the entire party she wouldn't have bothered.

So yeah, give her lots of crowd control options. Ways to split up the party during the fight and keep them from helping each other. And of course Lightning Bolt in case they decide to stand too close together and make splitting them difficult.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    These are not mutually exclusive. Particularly not here!
    ...point taken. I did not think that post through, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen
    HE'S GOT A MUFFIN!
    *Ducks for cover*
    Relax! It's only a cranberry muffin. That's, like, the least deadly kind of muffin! Maybe second least.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

So, er... what does it say about your state of mind after several weeks of playing C&C and pony thread that, while writing your briefing for tomorrow's game to Tiberian Sun's map theme, you start to wonder which pony would make the best EVA...? (Or CABAL?1)

My money is on Twilight or Celestia...

(Though hearing Fluttershy saying "Ion Cannon ready" would be priceless in it's own right...)

1Who is like Best. Computer. Voice. EVER. Nod are so lucky. They get CABAL, Kane AND lasers!
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2011-07-20 at 04:26 PM.

11. - Top - End - #401

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Pinkie Pie, you're supposed to be in the battlefield, not the audience! What have we told you about being in two places at once?

That I could hug myself with that?
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

12. - Top - End - #402
    Troll in the Playground

...point taken. I did not think that post through, obviously.
    No worries; although you will find your acclimatization here easier if you embrace the insanity early. It's for the best, trust me (I'm a robot wearing a lab coat, so you know I won't lead you astray!)

EDIT: @Aotrs - I can see the dialogue for Fluttershy and Celestia now!

Regular:
    Ion Cannon Ready! Fire at will...um, that is...if it's ok with you...

PyschoShy:
    Ion Cannon Ready! You're going to BE VAPORIZED!

Celestia:
    Ion Cannon Ready! SEND THEM TO THE MOON!
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2011-07-20 at 04:51 PM.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

13. - Top - End - #403
    Dwarf in the Playground

Picture from the sick pony!

Spoiler
    Show

However, I'm not entirely sure which avatar to use: This one? or this one?

There ya'll go.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    EDIT: @Aotrs - I can see the dialogue for Fluttershy and Celestia now!

Regular:
    Ion Cannon Ready! Fire at will...um, that is...if it's ok with you...

PyschoShy:
    Ion Cannon Ready! You're going to BE VAPORIZED!

Celestia:
    Ion Cannon Ready! SEND THEM TO THE MOON!
    Actually...Psychoshy would make a good CABAL...

Oh gods...Rainbow Dash as the GDI Commando... "At that was lefthoof-ed!" I can just see all Nod's buildings going up in sonic rainbooms (emphasis on "boom"...)

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Actually...Psychoshy would make a good CABAL...

Oh gods...Rainbow Dash as the GDI Commando... "At that was lefthoof-ed!" I can just see all Nod's buildings going up in sonic rainbooms (emphasis on "boom"...)
    Mixing C&C with Pony... you have now just corrupted my mind...

Oh well.
    GDI Commando: Ah've got a present for ya!

16. - Top - End - #406
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh god! Three Pinkies? Everybody, grab your cowboy hats, this one is going to be a doozy!

Challenge/Help request for any who play D&D 3.5:

Tonight, my party might make it to the end of a dungeon where they'll face, who else, Nightmare Moon. I'm modifying the stats for a Unicorn (granting flight, higher armor, more spell-likes, etc.) to make it more powerful, and that's where I need help. What spells or spell-like abilities do you think would be appropriate to give her?

The party consists of a Rogue, a Barbarian, a Cleric, and a Ranger, all level 7, all unoptimized (but I've been helping them pick decent feats and such), and all within the core rules. Doesn't mean the spells she has have to be within core, but that's what they have to work with.
    Question with this, is she fighting the party alone or with a group?

If with a group, I would go with what other posters have been saying and give her battlefield control.

If alone, I would just arbitrarily put some stuff together till it looks right. Say something like 10 hit dice, casts as an 8th level wizard, and moderate melee abilities (say something like one of her hooves does 1d8+4ish damage). That way you have a villain with somewhere around 80-120hp depending on rolls and con score, ok damage if the players close, and a nice selection of spells to open the combat with. Level 7 party, two are full base attack...that means they probably have a +10ish to hit going by the not heavily optimized statement. Give her an armor class of say 22 and a touch ac of 14 or 15 for measure and you should be good.

That is my two cents at least.

I still don't know if the guy in my office has noticed and just hasn't said anything, or I've been hiding my ponies better than I thought. Clearly I have to employ some half-baked, sitcom-worthy schemes and shenanigans to find out what he knows...
    Coworker: Amish, you got some splaining to do!
    Amish: Waaaaaaah!

17. - Top - End - #407

I know I missed the Midnight pet hooplah, but she needs to have the Corgi from Cowboy Beebop. Why? because the dog always knew something.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

18. - Top - End - #408
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'll be doing a short speech in class, soonish. I'm hoping you call could help me out a little.

Could somepony express why Friendship is Magic is special to them?
    Lyra Corvis- Avy done by Mechafox(Thanks!)

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Talespinner is taken aback for a moment. Of all the nerve - he doesn't have an interesting imagination, just a very interesting life!

"Well, if you won't assist me of your own free will, then by the power invested in me by mumble mumble mumble I'm afraid that I will have to take matters into my own hooves - for freedom, for Equestria, and for eternal glory!

...Celestia-in-her-court, you're heavy. But that matters not, for I possess sufficient strength to bench-press a dragon! Now... oof... we shall go and use your power for GREAT JUSTICE! And by great justice, I mean zapping Metal Mask. And maybe Shimmer, too. And Blueblood! Oh, man, this'll be great!"

Well, we already know Inkwell is susceptible to peer pressure and bribery, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    So, er... what does it say about your state of mind after several weeks of playing C&C and pony thread that, while writing your briefing for tomorrow's game to Tiberian Sun's map theme, you start to wonder which pony would make the best EVA...? (Or CABAL?1)

My money is on Twilight or Celestia...

(Though hearing Fluttershy saying "Ion Cannon ready" would be priceless in it's own right...)

1Who is like Best. Computer. Voice. EVER. Nod are so lucky. They get CABAL, Kane AND lasers!
    Mixing C&C with Pony... you have now just corrupted my mind...

Oh well.
    GDI Commando: Ah've got a present for ya!
    I approve of all of this so much.

And CLEARLY CABAL is Luna. When she becomes evil, it is revealed that she was Nightmare Moon all along.
    Which makes EVA Celestia. And Nod-EVA Iron Hoof.

Celestia: PEACE THROUGH POWER!
    ...nope, Celestia is Kane.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    I approve of all of this so much.

And CLEARLY CABAL is Luna. When she becomes evil, it is revealed that she was Nightmare Moon all along.
    Which makes EVA Celestia. And Nod-EVA Iron Hoof.

Celestia: PEACE THROUGH POWER!
    ...nope, Celestia is Kane.
    *Base under attack*

Our base is under attack.
    Screw this, feel the fury of a thousand suns. *Ion Cannon*

21. - Top - End - #411

Was somepony talking about mixing CnC with pony?

Spoiler
    Show
    Hopefully old school Red Alert is close enough.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Oh god! Three Pinkies? Everybody, grab your cowboy hats, this one is going to be a doozy!

Question with this, is she fighting the party alone or with a group?

If with a group, I would go with what other posters have been saying and give her battlefield control.

If alone, I would just arbitrarily put some stuff together till it looks right. Say something like 10 hit dice, casts as an 8th level wizard, and moderate melee abilities (say something like one of her hooves does 1d8+4ish damage). That way you have a villain with somewhere around 80-120hp depending on rolls and con score, ok damage if the players close, and a nice selection of spells to open the combat with. Level 7 party, two are full base attack...that means they probably have a +10ish to hit going by the not heavily optimized statement. Give her an armor class of say 22 and a touch ac of 14 or 15 for measure and you should be good.

That is my two cents at least.

Coworker: Amish, you got some splaining to do!
    Amish: Waaaaaaah!
    If she's alone that's when I'd heavily start giving her crowd control. How many of the players have darkvision? One quick magical version of Control Light and she's just blinded everyone in the room. Now while they're scrambling around in the darkness she can start picking them off.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bayonet Priest View Post
    Was somepony talking about mixing CnC with pony?

Spoiler
    Show
    Hopefully old school Red Alert is close enough.
    Oh my god. Is that a demo truck I spy there? AND A TESLA COIL?

My dreams come true.
    Pony with C&C:RA, old school. Where can I haz more of this delicious goodness?

24. - Top - End - #414
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Seems like it could work. I'm not sure what the older, non-working part was in the previous revision, though, so I can't say if it fixes the problem.

Given that I haven't completed writing anything yet, it's more of a combination of too distracted/this doesn't work/WHY AM I DOING THIS?!
    Basically, every iteration of the scenario wound up making Rarity look really, REALLY bad. Either she was acting like she'd never really interacted with Fluttershy before, forcing Fluttershy into an uncomfortable situation for her own benefit, etc.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

25. - Top - End - #415

Oh my god. Is that a demo truck I spy there? AND A TESLA COIL?

My dreams come true.
    Pony with C&C:RA, old school. Where can I haz more of this delicious goodness?
    Isn't it beautiful...

RA1 was the first PC game I ever played, this picture sent me into a nostalgia coma when I first saw it. Alas I do not know where it came from and if there is more to be found, this was posted into a ponythread on another forum.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    If she's alone that's when I'd heavily start giving her crowd control. How many of the players have darkvision? One quick magical version of Control Light and she's just blinded everyone in the room. Now while they're scrambling around in the darkness she can start picking them off.
    Yes, she'd be alone for the fight. Only one player (the dwarf barbarian) has darkvision.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, she'd be alone for the fight. Only one player (the dwarf barbarian) has darkvision.
    So yeah, Control Light to blind everyone, leave the barbarian to fight an illusion or two, and pick off the weaker members. I think Nightmare Moon would be the type who would pick off whoever she deems weakest so the stronger opponents have no support.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey there Esperderek!

Thanks for coming by the forum; I happened to see your correspondence with deigo in this thread, and some of your questions about the contest. I took a stab at answering them here if your interested: http://www.canterlot.com/viewtopic.p...tart=15#p28497

Thanks again for the compliments, and I hope you choose to submit to the contest :'3 In fact, anyone here is more than welcome to; the more the merrier. You all look like a lively bunch, so take a chance at some pony swag! xD

See you bronies around!

29. - Top - End - #419
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

That's quite the Li'l navy you've got there, friend. How would Rarity X Sea Serpent even work? I'd like to see that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade 7
    Ok, let's see...
    Rarity and the Sea Serpent have several things in common, fabulous looks, so on and so forth. Plenty of base to build a ship on, right? And so, we're off!

Spoiler
    Show

Stephen the Sea Serpent decides that he never really properly thanked Rarity for fixing his fabulous facial hair. Also he's a bit lonely, what with living in the Evergreen Forest and all. (The fishes in his part of the river don't talk much, you see.) So, he decides to go see her in Ponyville. After an amusing misadventure involving a rather startled Fluttershy* and a protective Angel, he finally manages to get directions to the Carousel Boutique.
    When he arrives there, she is rather surprised to see him, but being Rarity, invites him in for tea and mints.** They have a nice long talk about fashions and such, him having to catch up on the last 300 years of history and fashion changes. (He's been out there a while.) He leaves as dusk comes, but promises to come back soon. A week later he does...

I imagine Rarity, Stephen, Fluttershy, and the Manticore*** all living on the same manor in a few years. Stephen naturally has a decent pile of wealth to fund this.**** Rarity wouldn't let him upgrade the shop though. She wants to do that with her own proceeds.

*She lives on the edge of Evergreen Forest, so he would probably see her place first.
    **I don't quite know why mints. Just seems to fit Rarity.
    ***His name is Rupert, IMO.
    ****He provided the start up funds for a major sock company, several centuries ago.

I'm an idea man. On the off chance anyone wants to actually use this, please do. My skills don't go as far as actually writing stories, so I won't be using it.
    I think this got lost in the ponysanity of ponythread the last time. Would like to get a little feedback if the ponies don't mind.
    There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'time to reload.'
    Schlock Mercenaries

30. - Top - End - #420
    Troll in the Playground

Hello Pony-People.

I was thinking of running a MLP WW game.

Heroes

Fluttershy: Careless Day-Baner
    Twilight Sparkle: Seer
    Applejack: Careless Baner
    Pinkie Pie: Fool
    Rainbow Dash: Shield
    Rarity: Silencer

Villains

Trixie: Devil
    Ursa Minor: Beast
    Glinda: Killer
    Zacura: Voider

Any other ideas? I know some of you don't play Werewolf, so if I make this game, would anyone here be willing to play?

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody