New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1485
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLI: No Morals! No Quarter! All Brutal!

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I just got this mental image of the comic coming to an end, with a final splash panel that consists of this.

"lol I cant believe you all fell for it for so long! Did you REALLY think this was the real comic? Go to the link at www.mookiesrealwork.com and enjoy the actual comic folks."

Then we click on the link and see 10 years worth of amazing work, with drawings that actually improve over time, a consistent magic system and well built world, and arcs that actually make sense! Turns out he spent those 8 hours per strip writing out the troll comic AND the real one.
    The strange part of it is, you can almost believe that's what he's building up to. I suppose the more plausible explanation is that he's just bored, bored, bored of his comic but it continues to make him money so he's putting on a brave face, not really aware that hiding his disinterest makes it look like this is what he's always wanted to do with it.
    Holy crap, I have a blog!

When one has made a decision to kill a person, even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about doing it in a long, roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way of the Samurai is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLI: No Morals! No Quarter! All Brutal!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragonKing View Post
    The strange part of it is, you can almost believe that's what he's building up to. I suppose the more plausible explanation is that he's just bored, bored, bored of his comic but it continues to make him money so he's putting on a brave face, not really aware that hiding his disinterest makes it look like this is what he's always wanted to do with it.
    Be honest, how would you react if the crazy idea I posted really happened? I personally would likely laugh for 5 minutes straight, read through the new comic, and admit that mookie is the prank lord. I think a 10 year never ending troll would get a spot in the guinness book of world records.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I couldnt help but laugh when I read that. I dunno, give him some credit, maybe he meant it was an american company trying to create a cartoon along the anime style? I think we can all agree that normally there is a big difference between a cartoon and an anime, so maybe they wanted to try their hands at an anime style?
    Yeah but it's just weird to call them that when anime styles were based on old western cartoons to begin with.

Personally I use "cartoon" or "animated movie/series" for both western/eastern stuff anyway.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

The word for Japanese-influenced American or European cartoons, like Avatar the Last Airbender, is "animesque". Side note: anime started out as more or less a carbon copy of Disney (by Osamu Tezuka) and simply evolved in a totally direction, one that kept the simple figures and huge eyes.

The word for what Dominic Deegan is "the illustrator 'learned' to draw from watching Pokémon on Fox Kids"
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2011-12-17 at 12:50 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    *wince*

Huh. I think you found some sort of code phrase. Turns out that is the exact sequence of letters required to give me a headache.
    How about wanimation? Or wanimated?

Or Waluigi TIME! WAAAAAAAAAH!

I meant westerm made cartoon drawn in Eastern style.

But whatever. Point is that the comic is drawig a big shadow on mookie as a person.

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Troll in the Playground

Ok fine, there are examples of skilled writers who are capable of taking a silent character and running with it. Now explain to me how MOOKIE would be able to do a character arc for someone who cant speak? Maybe have Dom scry her life story then talking head us to death as he explains everything that made her who she is today? Have jayden turn to pantomime as we try to decipher what she is trying to say? Nah, this upcoming arc is going to be jayden heavy now that she is talking, and we will learn more about her, besides, "Had sex with a werewolf, cheated on a werewolf, can be mind controlled into losing her powers, looks sexy in blackguard style armor, and doesnt like to talk anymore."
    If you can't do a character arc for a silent character, don't try.

Mookie could always add lots of thought bubbles. This kind of thing usually requires subtlety, character depth and adequate facial expressions but that's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by TheArsenal View Post
    If his characters are just stand ins, then what about greg, Dominic, Donovan?
    Donovan is the only character who Mookie publicly recognises as a self-insert.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2011-12-17 at 07:11 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Donovan is the only character who Mookie publicly recognises as a self-insert.
    So he acts like a jackass during his wedding?

And we all know thats a lie. Everybody is a mookie stand in. Everybody. Even you and me.

8. - Top - End - #1178

Am I the only one who's getting "Dominic Deegan terrible" as the first suggestion when I type "Dominic Deegan" into google?

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Ogre in the Playground

I get "Dominic Deegan Oracle for Hire". So maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

How about wanimation? Or wanimated?
    No, those just register as typos.

Or Waluigi TIME! WAAAAAAAAAH!
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Orc in the Playground

I'm thinking about bananafying more awful Greg strips, but to do all of them would be far too much work-- do you know how often Greg is awful?? Not to mention the fact that I don't think I made it through Snowsong back when I read for real, and I really don't want to read maltak or any of the stuff I missed.

I'm not very good at remembering specifics, so if anyone has any particular strips they want to see Greg permanently deleted in, I'll do it.
    With Open Eyes
    A terribly formatted, unfinished site containing a bad comic.
    Oh and I also have a dA account.
    ---

12. - Top - End - #1182

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Toast1862 View Post
    I'm thinking about bananafying more awful Greg strips, but to do all of them would be far too much work-- do you know how often Greg is awful?? Not to mention the fact that I don't think I made it through Snowsong back when I read for real, and I really don't want to read maltak or any of the stuff I missed.

I'm not very good at remembering specifics, so if anyone has any particular strips they want to see Greg permanently deleted in, I'll do it.
    One word:

SuperBanana.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Then don't look close.

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Hey toast, Can you switch your avatars magazine to hunk rump? That would be perfect.

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Orc in the Playground

Done and done!

Spoiler
    Show
    With Open Eyes
    ---

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So he acts like a jackass during his wedding?
    He did post pictures and IIRC, video, for all to see and make their own decisions about.

So, only one way to find out the answer to your question. Are you brave enough to go down the RabbitMookie Hole?

I ain't. Don't even have the courage to watch that interview where he went on about sexy rapists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    He did post pictures and IIRC, video, for all to see and make their own decisions about.

So, only one way to find out the answer to your question. Are you brave enough to go down the RabbitMookie Hole?

I ain't. Don't even have the courage to watch that interview where he went on about sexy rapists.
    It was just a rhetorical question.

But his "Not so subtle opinion" was that old style weddings suck. It was reinforced in his thingy hes like "Oh uh..This is totaly not my opinion. Ive been to a few weddings like that and they have been fine"

And for Toast:

Doube awesome.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Dwarf in the Playground

I know I'm a bit frightened to go looking for them. I've only seen the one picture from the newspost, and Alyssa doesn't look too happy to me. I just hope it's just the makeup around her eyes throwing off my reading of her expression.

I don't think I can take it if she's expressing "buyer's remorse" through the whole wedding and reception while Mookie is being completely clueless.

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Troll in the Playground

I am somewhat curious, but not enough to slog through his unrelated bull**** Twitter posts or whatever it would take.

Done and done!

Spoiler
    Show
    Just by the way, I used to have a banana-styled superhero as my first avatar.

Identity crisis.

19. - Top - End - #1189

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Just by the way, I used to have a banana-styled superhero as my first avatar.

Identity crisis.
    This guy?
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Halfling in the Playground

RangerGuy

So, curious as i am i went to look through Mookie's twitter in search of wedding pics to test my sanity. A quick scan yielded only one however.
    http://twitpic.com/7ms0ta

Also, apparently his mom hand makes all those scarves he sells.

21. - Top - End - #1191

GnomeWizardGuy

Yeah, that's crossing the line into creepy internet stalker territory. All we have to know is that Mookie won't stop putting his wedding into his comic, and that he thinks traditional weddings are okay if you're a boring square but are horrible for interesting people.

I don't think anyone should go all internet detective to keep tabs on how Mookie and Alyssa's married life is going.
    Because it's not as if Mookie's life isn't transparently reflected in his webcomic anyway.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2011-12-17 at 09:27 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Troll in the Playground

I think we can all agree that normally there is a big difference between a cartoon and an anime,
    Considering that "anime" is a specific kind of carton, that seems an odd thing to say. It's like saying "I think we can all agree that normally there is a big difference between a mammal and a cat."

I will say, however, that "western anime" is an oxymoron, because anime by definition is from Japan. Though I'm not sure there necessarily is a better term to describe a co-production...
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2011-12-17 at 09:49 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Yeah, that's crossing the line into creepy internet stalker territory. All we have to know is that Mookie won't stop putting his wedding into his comic, and that he thinks traditional weddings are okay if you're a boring square but are horrible for interesting people.

I don't think anyone should go all internet detective to keep tabs on how Mookie and Alyssa's married life is going.
    Because it's not as if Mookie's life isn't transparently reflected in his webcomic anyway.
    I would rather be completely ignorant about all details of his personal life. But then he had to go and post that photo in the comics news feed, and now my mind recalls Alyssa's expression every time I see the words "Mookie" and "wedding" in the same sentence.

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Considering that "anime" is a specific kind of carton, that seems an odd thing to say. It's like saying "I think we can all agree that normally there is a big difference between a mammal and a cat."

I will say, however, that "western anime" is an oxymoron, because anime by definition is from Japan. Though I'm not sure there necessarily is a better term to describe a co-production...
    Hmm... maybe technically, but honestly? Whenever someone says "cartoon", my mind immediately jumps to kids' shows that are loud and obnoxious and WACKY. I consider cartoons to be different than anime, which I associate more with clear plots than unabashed wackiness, both falling under animation instead... I mean, in an anime, most of the time there's continuity and character development and a real story, even if it is a show for kids. Cartoons seem to think continuity is the devil's plot device and avoid it like the plague, and is the main reason I never really liked Teen Titans. They also tend to be entirely focused around humor instead of having a story to tell. I can see how "anime" could be used to refer to things like Avatar as well as most japanese animation, while "cartoon" refers to most western animated shows and a few japanese ones. That categorization makes "wanime" less stupid, though it is still very stupid.
    Last edited by Toast1862; 2011-12-17 at 10:10 PM.
    With Open Eyes
    ---

25. - Top - End - #1195

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by engineer-errant View Post
    I would rather be completely ignorant about all details of his personal life. But then he had to go and post that photo in the comics news feed, and now my mind recalls Alyssa's expression every time I see the words "Mookie" and "wedding" in the same sentence.
    "It was a Halloween wedding. I was a monster. She was a fairy princess. And yes, her bouquet was made of lollipops.

The lesson here?
    I should not be allowed to make decisions."
    Show
    Then don't look close.

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Dwarf in the Playground

Moving on to off-topic weekend discussion, I've been completely geeking out over this hobby robot. It is one of my goals in life to build something as awesome as that by myself. It's taken the guy almost five years, and he has estimated that he's only 40% complete at this point. (Warning, the website is hard to navigate and a bit painful to read.)

So what has everybody else been enthusiastic about lately?

27. - Top - End - #1197

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by engineer-errant View Post
    Moving on to off-topic weekend discussion, I've been completely geeking out over this hobby robot. It is one of my goals in life to build something as awesome as that by myself. It's taken the guy almost five years, and he has estimated that he's only 40% complete at this point. (Warning, the website is hard to navigate and a bit painful to read.)
    No kidding. What is it, 1995?

MARTY! It's your website! Something's got to be done about your website!
    Show
    Then don't look close.

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    No kidding. What is it, 1995?

MARTY! It's your website! Something's got to be done about your website!
    I know, have you come across one of the pages that uses the marque and blink tags yet?

29. - Top - End - #1199

MindFlayer

Hmm... maybe technically, but honestly? Whenever someone says "cartoon", my mind immediately jumps to kids' shows that are loud and obnoxious and WACKY. I consider cartoons to be different than anime, which I associate more with clear plots than unabashed wackiness
    Coming up next... Naruto! will the Dragon Ninja clan be able to stop Naruto and friends on their quest to buy, and subsequently eat, ramen? Find out on Episode 2059: Filler no Jutsu!

Also... I thought you guys were joking... "Sexy rapist" was actually a thing, that Mookie said, with words and everything? In public? In front of a recording device?

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frogwarrior View Post
    Coming up next... Naruto! will the Dragon Ninja clan be able to stop Naruto and friends on their quest to buy, and subsequently eat, ramen? Find out on Episode 2059: Filler no Jutsu!

Also... I thought you guys were joking... "Sexy rapist" was actually a thing, that Mookie said, with words and everything? In public? In front of a recording device?
    I never watched Naruto so maybe I'm wrong, but I thought there were overarching stories and character development? Filler isn't the same as every episode being in its own contained bubble without any real progression. Filler is when the animation outpaces the original writing, and that's not why character A died and was sent to a wacky comical hell in episode 12 and then is perfectly normal in episode 13 with no explanation needed.

Also yeah. The sexy rapist quote is real.
    With Open Eyes
    ---