New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Skyrim IV: Oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Do you actually have evidence for this, or are you just assuming it because of your love for Ulfric? I certainly don't recall anyone saying Toryg was a poor warrior...
    Toryg had some martial training, but even his allies admit that he was childish. Ulfric was a veteran of many battles, and...well...did you ever see the duel between Paris and Menelaus in Troy? Yeah. That's how fights between little princelings and experienced soldiers actually go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Titan in the Playground

People actually watched Troy?
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ogre in the Playground

Hectur!

HECTUR!

HECTUUUUUURR!!!
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ogre in the Playground

So anyone have any cool mods yet?
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

5. - Top - End - #815
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    Hey! I thought it was pretty dang good IMO. Since troy in its entirety is historically inaccurate I don't care too much about that part of the film and the characters were good and the action was good. I liked troy because it was one of the few films that doesn't have a pure good side and a pure evil side. Both sides had the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Front page has a few, and you could do worse then to go to skyrim nexus and download most of the top 100 mod list.
    Last edited by LordShotGun; 2012-02-15 at 10:08 AM.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah but the story of the Trojan War is so intertwined in myth that it seems like it'd be impossible to tell. I read The Iliad, and the gods interfere on both sides many times throughout the poem, to the point where the war's less about getting Helen back and more the gods fighting amongst themselves by proxy.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

7. - Top - End - #817
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah but the story of the Trojan War is so intertwined in myth that it seems like it'd be impossible to tell. I read The Iliad, and the gods interfere on both sides many times throughout the poem, to the point where the war's less about getting Helen back and more the gods fighting amongst themselves by proxy.
    Well I was talking about the value of troy the movie not troy the epic poem.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, but it's very hard to judge the movie on its own merits. You're always going to compare it to the source material, that's the problem with adaptations.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Troll in the Playground

Anyone else want a mod that gives the player bear arms for unarmed combat?

10. - Top - End - #820
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Do you actually have evidence for this, or are you just assuming it because of your love for Ulfric? I certainly don't recall anyone saying Toryg was a poor warrior...
    How about every singe comment on the King by people who were not his wife?
    Toryg was BRAVE, but he was a crap warrior.
    Last edited by Opperhapsen; 2012-02-15 at 11:13 AM.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Thanks for the answer. Note to self, do a better job of not letting the dragon kite me next time...

A few more questions from the newb.

1> How often should I be running into dragon attacks? I'm still working my way through Whiterun's side quests before going to the Graybeards, and I just ran into my 4th dragon. I was on the side of a mountain and it flew off before I could start fighting it, but is this normal?

2> I see on the informatiom link from the first page on this topic (and have seen seconded/similarly reported from two other sources) that I should be careful of pursuing "side" skills like Smithing, Enchanting, Alchemy, and so forth. The reason given is that it is too easy to gimp my actual combat skills -- and since the enemies I'll run into are based on my level not my skills, I'd be running into foes I can't match (reference: my attempt to get a mammoth tusk straight from the mammoth).

So I'll take the suggestion at face value... but is there a good\simple reference for what rank my combat skills should be at by level, and/or what level I should expect to be? I'm about halfway through 9th right now, for example.

3> A cursory search didn't get me a straight answer on this one. When using bound weapons (like the Bound Sword spell) in combat, does it skill up the applicable weapon skill (One Handed in this case), Conjuration, or both? I ask because I've noticed the rate at which One Handed is skilling up has dropped off dramatically (I know it goes down as the skill goes up, but it's gone down more than expected) -- and last night, I got a Conjuration skillup in the middle of a fight without casting any spell.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

12. - Top - End - #822
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmerged View Post
    Thanks for the answer. Note to self, do a better job of not letting the dragon kite me next time...

A few more questions from the newb.

1) It's random-ish. I've spent days without being attacked only to get jumped by two at a time. It's supposed to increase in frequency as you advance on the main quest. Sometimes you'll also see dragons flying about, but they wont land or attack you. It's normal.

2 )No, crafting skills are pursue-able. And in fact break the game apart and make everything cry baby tears of impotence at your unstoppable rampaging. Just don't dump points into useless-ish things like Speech or Pickpocket.

3) No idea, haven't fooled around with Conjuration yet.
    Truth resists simplicity.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Even Human View Post
    1) It's random-ish. I've spent days without being attacked only to get jumped by two at a time. It's supposed to increase in frequency as you advance on the main quest. Sometimes you'll also see dragons flying about, but they wont land or attack you. It's normal.

2 )No, crafting skills are pursue-able. And in fact break the game apart and make everything cry baby tears of impotence at your unstoppable rampaging. Just don't dump points into useless-ish things like Speech or Pickpocket.

3) No idea, haven't fooled around with Conjuration yet.
    3) It improves both. Bound sword improves one-handed. Bound axe improves two handed. Bound bow improves archery and comes with 100 bound arrows. All three improve conjuration by casting and then using them. Very useful for a battlemage build.
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Opperhapsen View Post
    How about every singe comment on the King by people who were not his wife?
    Toryg was BRAVE, but he was a crap warrior.
    And yet somehow he made it into Nord-Warrior-Heaven.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Making into Sovengard means that you died courageously in battle, or that you lived a brave and honorable life.

Doesn't mean you were actually good at fighting.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    Making into Sovengard means that you died courageously in battle, or that you lived a brave and honorable life.

Doesn't mean you were actually good at fighting.
    Guys can we move on to Skyrim Characters alignment?
    Dark Brotherhood- Lawful Neutral (assasins)
    Jarl Balgruuf- Neutral Good (he even let Heimskrr preach for Talos)
    General Tulius- Lawful Neutral (he's just trying to hold the empire together)
    Ulfric could be true neutral (he rebel against the empire but he's a ruler. He's neither good nor evil) or Neutral good a best.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

17. - Top - End - #827
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Uh-uh. Lawful Evil, tops. All their talk about hailing their dread father, plus the perverse delight they take in fulfilling their contracts definitely places them in the Evil territory.
    Jarl Balgruuf- Neutral Good (he even let Heimskrr preach for Talos
    I agree. Balgruuf's greatest concern is always for Whiterun and he's avoided taking sides in the war because he knows if he does either side will then target Whiterun in retaliation, and is one of the few people in Skyrim who supports you as Dragonborn wholeheartedly. Plus there's the fact that he's carrying on his family duty of SPOILERS! keeping the Ebony Blade locked up so it can't corrupt and cause strife.
    Indeed, though one could make the argument that he's Lawful Good, since he genuinely cares about his men enough to double their pay and make sure the families of the slain are compensated once the war's over, and while diplomatically he's a bull in a china shop he comes to appreciate Skyrim and its people.
    Ulfric could be true neutral (he rebel against the empire but he's a ruler. He's neither good nor evil) or Neutral good a best.
    I think True Neutral is the ONLY way one could describe Ulfric. He's a rebel against authority, but he strictly adheres to Nord cultural traditions. He fights so all the fighting he did before wasn't in vain, but he jumped the gun and ordered many Forsworn killed when he reclaimed Markarth. Ulfric is such a complex figure that you could almost do a Batman-style alignment chart for him with Ulfric in each slot instead of Batman. Still, I think that True Neutral is probably the best label if one fits him at all.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

3) It improves both. Bound sword improves one-handed. Bound axe improves two handed. Bound bow improves archery and comes with 100 bound arrows. All three improve conjuration by casting and then using them. Very useful for a battlemage build.
    Interesting, I wonder if it cuts the increase in half then.

Oh, and for my build I'm using a variant of the "Spellbuckler" I've used since Daggerfall. Leather armor & some spells for protection, weapons for damage (conjured since Morrowind), spells for effects\healing, and a healthy leavening of roguish skills for getting into places\things I shouldn't be. I used a Sorceror in Arena, essentially the same thing.

As for Question 2, I think what I was seeing was more advice not to pursue them early, in particular not to "grind" them. I understand with maxed enchanting I'll be casting 2 schools of magic for free at higher levels...
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ettin in the Playground

How about Forsworn- Chaotic Evil if you met them
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe Chaotic Neutral or True Neutral once you hear the story on exploitation of Silver Bloods and Nords upon Breton Natives of the Reach.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

20. - Top - End - #830
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

He died by a shout and a stab, that's how warriors go out in skyrim.
    Last edited by Opperhapsen; 2012-02-15 at 04:53 PM.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by userpay View Post
    Are there any good mods that make unarmed into an actual skill or rolls it into an existing one?
    Quite a few actually, search unarmed on steam workshop and you'll get a few, I personally use combat fists 1.2, which rolls unarmed into one-handed.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Which does beg the question of why Ulfric isn't backing YOU as the new Emperor. After all, if Tiber Septim was the first Dragonborn Emperor, why can't the next Dragonborn unite the Empire anew, and crush the Thalmor once and for all?
    Ulfric just wants to be king really, simple as.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    YMMV about that. Really just makes you sound like an elf lover.

Considering recent history and the fact that they allowed one of their own to get banned...

That would be giving the player far too much credit and go past the scope of Skyrim and instead be a game in its own right. Letting the player take the throne. Preposterous!

Remember, this is the same bunch what decided that the grand finale of Oblivion should be watching two NPCs scuffle. And I'm not even going to discuss Fallout 3.
    We need DLC for this and joining the Thalmor, simply because deep down we all want to be Nazi Elves dressed in black leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    21 of them, some cooler than others:
    Midas Magic, already discussed
    Black Sacrament Armour, cool looking armour that you make under daedric smithing, hard to make, but looks cool, the only mod on this list that is not on steam workshop, will give links on request
    Combat Fists, adds unarmed combat to one-handed, a few perks and kill animations
    Rorikstead expanded, A mod a friend made, WIP with a voice acted NPC and a quest, more coming soon apparently
    Fall of the space core, official mod for skyrim
    Dynamic guards, stops the guards looking like clones
    Open Cities Skyrim, Makes it so you don't have to load when entering certain cities, not finished yet
    Specilized companions, gives companions special abilities, different for each one
    Faster Horses, faster horses
    Parthunax fix, (I will reveal this in a spoiler otherwise it is a spoiler)
    Dragonbone Weapons, self-explanatory
    Stronger Carriges, (Makes carrigages carry you if you are over-encumbered)
    Kill them egenerals, stops genereals being unkillable in camps, for some reason they are always unkillable
    Realistic Ragdolls, makes ragdolls better
    Apla Wolves, makes wolves appear in larger packs with a leader
    Leveled weapons, allows you to level up weapons and armour like nightingale and other stuff that is different depending on the level you find it.
    Blood is everything, (Edits vampires so it is better, you will have to find it yourself for the full details)
    Fix Parthunaxx
    Spoiler
    Show

During the main quest the blades find out that the head of the graybeards is a dragon. the blades don't like this and you either have to kill Parthy or let him live. If you kill Parthy the graybeards hate you forever, let him live and you cannot do anything with the blades anymore, including their quests and possible companions you have given them. Fix Parthunaxx lets you avoid making this choice.

Guys can we move on to Skyrim Characters alignment?
    Jarl Balgruuf- Neutral Good (he even let Heimskrr preach for Talos)
    I agree with Dark Brotherhood, Jarl Balgruuf has an alterior motive for letting Heimskr preach, go to the bannered mare and talk to the bar woman when you have reached level 20 to find out why. Balgruuf worships talos
    General Tullius I think is LN/NG, I like him, he doesn't throw his men away and is careful with them.
    Ulfric could likely have a batman allingment chart made for him if we got more material.

Also this.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

22. - Top - End - #832
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

I think True Neutral is the ONLY way one could describe Ulfric. He's a rebel against authority, but he strictly adheres to Nord cultural traditions. He fights so all the fighting he did before wasn't in vain, but he jumped the gun and ordered many Forsworn killed when he reclaimed Markarth. Ulfric is such a complex figure that you could almost do a Batman-style alignment chart for him with Ulfric in each slot instead of Batman. Still, I think that True Neutral is probably the best label if one fits him at all.
    He doesn't rebel against authority, he rebels against what he believes is a betrayal of his people and their traditions. A man does not become Jarl, nor fight in the manner he did, if you're anti authority.
    You can argue for most alignments, yea. But I don't see anything chaotic about his actions.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Opperhapsen View Post
    He doesn't rebel against authority, he rebels against what he believes is a betrayal of his people and their traditions. A man does not become Jarl, nor fight in the manner he did, if you're anti authority.
    You can argue for most alignments, yea. But I don't see anything chaotic about his actions.
    Yeah he rebels against authority. The Empire counts as an authority.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Troll in the Playground

Creating a ghetto for one non-Nord race and fencing another off at the Docks? Ulfric sure is a hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

25. - Top - End - #835
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah he rebels against authority. The Empire counts as an authority.
    Rebelling against a specific authority does not make you anti-authority.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    Creating a ghetto for one non-Nord race and fencing another off at the Docks? Ulfric sure is a hero.
    One man's hero is another's villain. I'm sure the Falmer would have a thing or two to say about Ysgramor. If they could talk, that is.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ettin in the Playground

One man's hero is another's villain. I'm sure the Falmer would have a thing or two to say about Ysgramor. If they could talk, that is.
    They can, they even have their own alphabet (whatever use it could still have). And I'm sure they'd be more hating of the Dwemer then of the Nords.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I was a freshman in highschool and the only reason to see the movie I ever heard was from my English teacher who said she went just to see Brad Pitt's tuckus.

How about Forsworn- Chaotic Evil if you met them
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe Chaotic Neutral or True Neutral once you hear the story on exploitation of Silver Bloods and Nords upon Breton Natives of the Reach.
    Nope. They're still CE in their methods and actions. Indiscriminate killing and kidnapping children that are chosen by the gods in order to enact horrible rites to corrupt and/or otherwise destroy them.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-02-15 at 10:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Nope. They're still CE in their methods and actions. Indiscriminate killing and kidnapping children that are chosen by the gods in order to enact horrible rites to corrupt and/or otherwise destroy them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are no innocents! Just the Guilty and the Dead in Markath. Can count as Evil (Forsworn) vs Evil (Silverblood)

P.S-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do you believe that Ulfric massacred a village that was described during a truce mission?
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

30. - Top - End - #840
    Banned

So. I just simply cannot get into this game. Which is weird because I absolutely loved Morrowind, and greatly enjoyed Oblivion.

This game just bores me to tears though...which is a real shame. Any tips for getting into it?