New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVIII: Nopony Expects Sponish Pinquisition!

Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Huh, another biped? Also, goat assistant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Numbering legs clockwise starting from the raised one, first and second look okay, third needs to be extended and moved further back, fourth can remain in place but needs a little twist forward at the base joint, so that it implies pushing back against the ground (i.e. keeping the tip where it is, but moving the rest of the leg a little forward, or vice versa). This is assuming a motion pattern with three legs constantly on the ground for stability.

If what I remember from my days of doing quadruped anims for my Total Annihilation mods is correct, with those alterations it should look good.
    Aha. Now, that's extremely useful help! In fact exactly the sort of help I needed - I should have known ponythread would have come up with someone who's actually looked at this sort of locomotion! (I was just taking an educated guess from working the out the joints...) And that's why ponythread is awesome! I'd not thought about rotating in the vertical axis, but that's that magic minor alteration that makes all the difference, isn't it?

Lke this?
    Spoiler
    Show

It took me a couple of tries, because I realised legs one and three were clipping into the body, but there we go...!
    I twisted four, and two ever so slightly.

That looks more right even to me, so it must be an improvement...!
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-03-01 at 05:46 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    We know that Hasbro's pulling the strings and can change things however they want, but people are acting like this particular change was some sort of personal attack.
    People took it as a personal attack. That's the point.
    Also, I think ditzy is more offensive than derpy...

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    words
    It makes me giggle when the spacelich mentions his Mum.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    FONT="Garamond"]Oh, cease with your boasting, ant. My amusement at your pride is starting to wear thin. If it is because you cannot bear to be less than the most powerful, well, then the haunt of the Herald of the Goddess Amorous, the Pink One Who Devours Smiles, and things more puissant who prefer to be more subtle than them... is not exactly the best place to hang out. Now, I suggest we continue to talk about these quite amusing little equines instead of measuring our might. After all, your army is quite like a clockwork machine- well-polished, mercilessly focused, and very easily broken if you know where to insert the stick.

Haa haa. Hee hee. Hoo hoo.[/FONT]
    (was going to say something chaotic about freedom of expression)
    (sees That Font)
    (has flashbacks)
    oh god not the fae
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Aha. Now, that's extremely useful help! In fact exactly the sort of help I needed - I should have known ponythread would have come up with someone who's actually looked at this sort of locomotion! (I was just taking an educated guess from working the out the joints...) And that's why ponythread is awesome! I'd not though about rotating in the vertical axis, but that's that magic minor alteration that makes all the difference, isn't it?

Lke this?
    Spoiler
    Show

It took me a couple of tries, because I realised legs one and three were clipping into the body, but there we go...!
    I twisted four, and two ever so slightly.

That looks more right even to me, so it must be an improvement...!
    Yeah, that's basically right. A typical mechanical quadruped mid-stride. By same numbering, first is reaching forward, second is past midstroke (with arc limited so as not to obstruct third's reach), third is at the end of the stroke, fourth is mid-stroke. Walk pattern 1-3-2-4.

If you ever add hexapods for some reason, I can help with those too. ;)

On the ditzy/derpy tangent, I always assumed a "ditz" is someone who is stupid in some way (i.e. from trope name "Genius Ditz"), while a "derp" is a mistake or accident. So "Ditzy" implies being stupid, and "Derpy" implies being prone to accidents. Should be pretty clear which I'd find less offensive.
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2012-03-01 at 06:04 PM.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Indecisive View Post
    Hello ponythread.

I've been lurking here for some time and I thought it might be a good idea to start posting.

So... I like ponies?
    Welcome!

Also, if you would like, come join us in the IRC. ^^ We always love having new ponies to talk to! :D

7. - Top - End - #1147

Happy Derpy Day to all!

Hello ponythread.

I've been lurking here for some time and I thought it might be a good idea to start posting.

So... I like ponies?
    Real controversial position you're staking out there. Welcome!

Why isn't it Saturday yet?

Random pony images!

Spoiler
    Show

Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

8. - Top - End - #1148

*Hangs head in embarrassment*

All right, I know that there are a least a few of you that have asked about the horribly late update to my fanfic. So, finally, here is Part Eight of New Perspectives, both on Google Docs and posted below.

As usual, comments and any mistakes you catch are welcome here or on the Google Doc.

Part Eight
    Spoiler
    Show
    Princess Celestia was engaged in putting the sun away for the day when the two pegasi flew toward the Sweet Apple Acres barn, soaring down and landing side by side.

“Ah can’t thank you enough for this, sugarcube.”

Rainbow Dash laughed. “What’re you talking about, AJ? I had a blast. You’re a natural, you’ve got the basics down pat. Next I’m starting you on fine control.”

Applejack looked concerned. “Ah don’t know about any stunt flyin’, Dash.”

Still grinning, the cyan pony shook her head. “Nah, that’s not your style, but you’re going to want to fly in and around the apple trees, be able to get to where the apples are, right? You have to learn to read the space all around you, how to keep your wings clear, and the finer points of perching. It’s precision work, but like everything else it’s just learning the basics and then practice, practice, practice.”

“That sounds good, but Ah can’t spend all day at flyin’ practice.”

“Don’t worry, most of your practice will be on the job. Your free time I want to spend teaching you about weather.”

“Weather? What for?”

Rainbow rolled her eyes at Applejack. “Well, duh! How great will it be when you can just grab a cloud and put the shade or the shower right where you need it?”

“Huh. I reckon it would be mighty nice at that. Wait, aren’t there schedules and stuff about that?”

Dash waved a hoof dismissively. “No problem, I’ll take care of the paperwork.”

“Ah really don’t know how Ah’m ever gonna be able to replay you for this.”

“You wouldn’t say that if you knew how many apples I’ve poached since I moved to Ponyville. Besides, I told you, I’m really enjoying myself. Teaching you is making me think about all the parts of flying that I haven’t thought about in forever. It can’t help but make me a better flier too, so everypony wins!”

“Well, all right then. See ya tomorrow?”

“Of course! I’ll even get up early for it.”

“So, lunch time?”

“Ha! Seriously, a lot of weather work is around dawn, I just usually grab a nap afterwards. What works for you?”

“If you’re really gonna be up early, just come on over when you’re done. You can nap here as well as anywhere if it comes to that.”

“True enough. See you tomorrow then!” and with that Dash took off, flitting into the clouds.

Applejack ducked into the barn to put her helmet away and retrieve her hat before heading into the house. “Sorry Ah’m late for dinner, everypony!”

At the head of the table, Granny Smith squinted at her granddaughter. “Well, that explains why I couldn’t get word one out of yer brother and sister. Thought you was gonna get taken care of this morning.”

Applejack shrugged. “Official word was ‘Nothing we can do, learn to live with it’. So that’s what Ah’m doin’.” Launching herself with a casual flutter of her wings, she sailed across the room and dropped into her spot at the table. “And Ah’d say that at least now Ah am able to outfly a chicken.”

“Woah,” breathed Apple Bloom, eyes wide.

Granny frowned. “That’s all well and good fer you, but Mac can’t work this whole farm alone while you’re gallavantin’ through the clouds.”

Applejack nodded. “An’ he won’t have to. As mah good friend pointed out to me, Ah still have apples on mah flank, and Ah have to believe that means somethin’.”

“Agrees with what I was thinking as well,” rumbled Big Mac.

“Ah’ll help,” added Apple Bloom. “School’s almost done for summer.”

The eldest Apple sighed. “You three already have yer minds made up, I see. Should have figured that.”

“So yer not gonna throw Applejack out of the family?” Apple Bloom asked, then immediately clapped her hooves over her mouth as her siblings gaped at her.

Granny looked askance at her youngest grandchild. “Land sakes, child, what possessed you to ask something like that?”

Apple Bloom was engaged in an intense study of her dinner plate. “Cousin Fuji,” she answered quietly.

Her grandmother registered surprise for a moment, then resignation. “Oh. Someone’s been tellin’ family business out of turn, I see.”

Applejack’s wings flared. “This happens to me, and you don’t suppose it’s the first thing Ah thought of?”

“What happened to you was an accident. I wouldn’t disown you for losin’ a leg, I won’t do it for growin’ feathers, not so long as you’re willing to do yer best fer the family.”

“Not every Apple works a farm.”

“Barn building, harness making, even bein’ a cook is still farm pony work.”

“And weather work has nothin’ to do with growin’ crops?” Applejack was standing with her hooves on the table by this point, though she had kept her voice steady.

It was Granny Smith’s turn to examine her plate. “You were young, Applejack. Florina ruled the family with an iron hoof in those days.”

“Florina passed on some three years back. You’re eldest now. The Apple Family reunion is in two weeks. Is a pegasus welcome there or not?” Applejack watched her grandmother’s jaw work, the play of emotion evident in her eyes, ears, and mouth. “I... I don’t know,” she finally answered weakly.

“Granny?”

“I don’t know. I never wanted this, I never wanted any of this. I’m just a farm pony! I love my family, I love my farm, why can’t that be enough?”

The elder mare’s words were like a bucket of cold water on Applejack’s anger. She put her hoof on Granny Smith’s shoulder. “Ah’m sorry, Granny. Ah had no cause to put it all on you.” She sat back down at her seat before continuing. “Ah’ll skip the reunion this one time,” she started, holding up a hoof to forestall interruption as Macintosh and Apple Bloom started to respond. “Next year, after Ah’ve had a chance to show that Ah still belong and everypony’s had a chance to hear about and get used to the situation, Ah can come without causin’ a ruckus.”

Big Mac waited for Applejack to finish. “Still doesn’t seem right.”

“I don’t want to go if you don’t go, sis,” added Apple Bloom.

“None o’that now,” replied AJ. “Ah’m countin’ on you ta tell mah story and keep the rumors from gettin’ outta hand, and that means all of you.”

“But we’ll be leaving you all alone!”

“Durin’ the Summer Sun Celebration, AB? Ah don’t think you have ta worry about that. Now look, Ah’ve delayed supper long enough. Let’s dig in!”

Though perfectly willing to load up her plate and start eating, Apple Bloom’s curiosity was undiminished. “So how come you can fly so good all of a sudden?” she asked her sister between bites.

“You have ta ask? When yer teacher is the best flyer around pickin’ up the basics ain’t too hard.”

“Rainbow Dash gave you flyin’ lessons?”

“You sound surprised. She’s only one of mah best friends.”

Yeah, I guess that’s different than with Scootaloo.”

“There’s regular teachin’ for colts an’ fillies, ain’t there? Ah was kind of a one time deal.”

“I suppose so. So how did Rainbow Dash teach you?”

“Same way you learn anything, Ah guess. Mostly she told me what Ah needed to know and when Ah tried it out she gave me pointers on what Ah was doin’ right an’ wrong.”

“So what did she say?”

Applejack glanced over at Granny Smith. “Ah don’t think it would make much sense to you, sis. Flappin’ rates and feather angles and such.”

Apple Bloom looked disappointed. “Oh. Guess not.”

The rest of the meal passed in relative silence. Applejack offered to do all the cleaning up since she had been late, but Apple Bloom volunteered to help with the dishes. At the sink, dish towel in hoof, she looked up at her big sister with concern written on her face. “AJ? Did you mean it about your flyin’ lesson or did you not wanna talk about it in from of Granny?”

Her sister shrugged. “Both, Ah guess. Ah don’t think what Dash told me woulda made much sense to me last week, an’ Ah don’t see any point in gettin’ Granny any more stirred up.”

“I didn’t mean anything by it, sis.”

Applejack stretched her wing over Apple Bloom, pulling her into a hug. “Ah know ya didn’t, AB. It’s just as new ta you as it is ta me, an’ Ah don’t blame ya for bein’ curious.”

The filly snuggled into her sister’s feathers. “So when do I get a ride?”

She got a grin in reply. “Ah don’t know, you’re a pretty big pony to be flyin’ around with.”

“Oh, now I’m a big pony?”

“Tell ya what, Ah’ll ask Dash about what it takes tomorrow.”

“Really? Thanks! That’s great!”

“Now let’s get these dishes done. Ah got a lot to talk to Mac about tonight.”

After the sisters finished the dinner cleanup, Applejack came back out from the kitchen to find Macintosh with maps and ledgers already spread out on the table. “Thanks, Mac. Ah guess I’ve been holdin’ things up all day.”

The stallion shook his head. “You’ve had a lot to deal with, and that’s a fact. Plenty of time to talk about what we need to do.”

Applejack sat down next to her brother. “Ah guess if there’s anything to be grateful for it’s that this happened at the beginnin’ of summer. Next spring is gonna be the hardest part, I reckon.”

“How so?”

“Ah... can’t hear the trees anymore, Mac. Mebbe a little, but not like before. Ah hope they can still hear me a little too, but that may be wishin’. The spring planting, Ah don’t know how well it’s gonna work for me.”

“Gotcha. So you need to do more of the physical stuff while I sweet talk the sprouts. Makes sense.” Big Mac pondered for a moment, then added, “You know the way pegasi haul wagons through the air? That would be a mighty big help with this.”

“By gosh, Mac, you’re right! Ah’ll ask Dash about it tomorrow.”

“Now summer, that’s more keeping an eye on things, and what with you bein’ able to see all sides of the problem with your superior pegasus vision, I figure we ought to do OK there.”

“Oh, yeah, I remember Dash sayin’ something about pegasus eyes.” She looked at her brother. “So how come you know about that?”

Macintosh grinned. “It’s called ‘paying attention in school’, sis.”

“They talked about that in school?”

“And so my point is made.”

Applejack chuckled. “Ah guess that you musta already given this some thought, since you already know so much about pegasi.”

“It might have crossed my mind.”

“Big Mac, have I told you lately how lucky Ah am to have you for a brother?”

“It’s understood, AJ. Now lets figure out our schedules”

“Flying with a wagon? Yeah, I can see how you’d want to do a lot of that.”

“So can you give me a lesson on that before we get to that weather stuff?”

“Ah, sure, but, um,” Rainbow Dash grinned sheepishly as she replied, “I can do that, but I’m not that good at it. Not my style, you know? Even Fluttershy was better at it. Tell you what, though, after I get you started with it we can talk to Boxy; I know he’ll help you out. Nopony in Ponyville is better at air hauling than he is.”

“Ah surely would appreciate it. After Ah finish today’s tree inspection, we can use the light cart for mah first lesson, OK?”

“Fine, but I’d still like to start teaching you about clouds before evening.”
    “It’s a deal.”

A smile lit up the white unicorn’s face as her friend came through the door. “Fluttershy, darling! How are you today?”

Fluttershy smiled at Rarity. “I’m doing well.” As she joined her friend in the spa’s entry room, she turned to the receptionist and added, “I’d like the full earth pony treatment today, please,” before looking back at Rarity and adding “but I really need some hoof care today.”

As the two ponies were led into the spa’s interior, Rarity took the opportunity to examine the yellow pony’s hooves. “My, but they do look a bit chipped. Whatever have you been doing?”

“Well, so many critters live in trees, and up in the hills, so I have to climb to get to them.”

“Of course, I should have known. What about using a ladder?” the unicorn replied as they settled into the baths and began to soak.

“That’s fine for near the cottage, but carrying ladders everywhere is more trouble than learning to climb was.”

“Well, I can see that. Perhaps you should ask Applejack for some tips on using a rope?”

“Oh, that’s a wonderful idea! Well, after she’s a bit more, ah, settled in?”

Rarity nodded, though with cucumber slices over their eyes neither mare was able to see it. “When I saw her yesterday, she did look a bit unsettled.”

Fluttershy sighed. “It hasn’t been easy for her, I’m sure.”

“Is it so different, having your own wings? I was able to use the ones from Twilight’s spell right away.”

“I think the difference is that the spell added wings to what you are. What happened to us was an exchange; she’s a pegasus now, just like I’m an earth pony.”

“I’m not sure I follow you, darling.”

“You don’t? Earth ponies work the land, pegasi work the sky. Everypony knows that.”

Rarity began to answer, then paused as Fluttershy’s words sank in. “Wait. Are you saying that Applejack isn’t a farmer any more?”

“Oh, no, I don’t think it’s that bad. I mean, I was able to take care of animals and tend my garden before. But it’s not going to be easy for her.” Fluttershy thought for a moment. “Suppose that you became an earth pony. You would still be able to design, but making the dresses would be a lot harder, right?”

“I should say! Not that I couldn’t, mind you, but so many things would be more difficult. No offense.”

“It’s not as direct, but that’s the situation that Applejack is in. I’m sure she’ll work it out, but I shouldn’t add anything else for her to worry about just yet.”

“No, I suppose not. And thank you, Fluttershy.”

“Oh, you’re quite welcome, but for what?”

“Your splendid analogy. It was quite enlightening.” Rarity paused, then continued in a lighter tone, “And speaking of insight, have you read about sashes being the new fashion accessory trend from Manehattan? I’d like your opinion.”

The new pegasus listened attentively to the experienced one. She’d finally exchanged her hat for an old pair of Rainbow’s goggles, having grown weary of having it blown into her eyes or off her head, or getting it caught in the branches of a tree.

Dash gestured, her hooves indicating the collection of clouds high over the forest. “Now there’s a bunch of big words that they use in the regular classes, but all you really need to know about clouds is size, density, wetness, and darkness.”

“Ah got ya,” Applejack replied. “Kinda like soil, then.”

“Sure, that works. Except dark means lightning, so you want to stay sharp about that part. Head for that big fluffy one there, and I’ll show you some cloud wrangling.”

Applejack followed her teacher toward the cloud in question, gingerly landing on top of it. “This is the hardest part to get used to. It spooked me the whole time we was at the Young Flyers Competition, havin’ clouds feel like somethin’ solid-like.”

“Huh. That’s so obvious when you say it, and I never thought about that part. I guess we should start by just letting you play around with some clouds, get a feel for it, take your time.”

Applejack chuckled. “Ah never in mah life thought I’d hear those words outta Rainbow Dash.”

Dash grinned. “Is that so? Blame Tank. Owning a tortoise is a great way to learn patience.”

Applejack smiled back. “If you say so, sugarcube.”

“Good evening, Twilight!”

The unicorn being addressed looked up from her book. “Evening, Rarity. What brings you by the library?”

“I’d like to request your expertise for something I had in mind concerning Applejack.”

Twilight’s face fell. “I’m sorry, but there’s nothing I can do for her.”

Rarity laughed lightly. “Au contraire, mon ami. I’m confident that there is.”

The other unicorn shook her head. “Not even the Princesses have the magic to change it.”

“Oh, you misunderstand me, dear. It’s not your magical expertise I’m calling upon.”
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello ponythread.

So... I like ponies?
    You're in the right place, then! Welcome!

Spoiler
    Show
    A minotaur, huh? Very interesting. Also, the background music sounded like it was inspired by Eye of the Tiger.

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Titan in the Playground

Wow In less than five hours, my latest piece of art has rocketed right past my previously all-time most favorited piece. It is also the first piece I can definitively confirm has been on the front page of dA, because it's there right now as the 23rd most popular within the last 24 hours and number 11 within the last 8 hours. That's pretty awesome.

It's looking quite likely that I might finally breach the 1000 faves mark with this one. I'm hoping...

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Wow In less than five hours, my latest piece of art has rocketed right past my previously all-time most favorited piece. It is also the first piece I can definitively confirm has been on the front page of dA, because it's there right now as the 23rd most popular within the last 24 hours and number 11 within the last 8 hours. That's pretty awesome.

It's looking quite likely that I might finally breach the 1000 faves mark with this one. I'm hoping...
    Congratulations! It really is awesome.

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Athaniar View Post
    Congratulations! It really is awesome.
    Thanks Aaaand... 1000 faves in less than 6 hours. I'm stunned, time to go to bed I think.

Oh, I think I see a few new faces, welcome to ponythread everypony-I-haven't-said-hi-to-already! Grab a chair and join the fun

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that's basically right. A typical mechanical quadruped mid-stride. By same numbering, first is reaching forward, second is past midstroke (with arc limited so as not to obstruct third's reach), third is at the end of the stroke, fourth is mid-stroke. Walk pattern 1-3-2-4.

If you ever add hexapods for some reason, I can help with those too. ;)
    That was enormously helpful, thanks!

As I haven't worked out what the rest of Secret Project is yet (aside from one alternate turret), I may take you up on that latter idea at some point...

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post

All right, I know that there are a least a few of you that have asked about the horribly late update to my fanfic. So, finally, here is Part Eight of New Perspectives, both on Google Docs and posted below.

As usual, comments and any mistakes you catch are welcome here or on the Google Doc.

Part Eight
    Spoiler
    Show
    Princess Celestia was engaged in putting the sun away for the day when the two pegasi flew toward the Sweet Apple Acres barn, soaring down and landing side by side.

Rainbow Dash laughed. “What’re you talking about, AJ? I had a blast. You’re a natural, you’ve got the basics down pat. Next I’m starting you on fine control.”

Still grinning, the cyan pony shook her head. “Nah, that’s not your style, but you’re going to want to fly in and around the apple trees, be able to get to where the apples are, right? You have to learn to read the space all around you, how to keep your wings clear, and the finer points of perching. It’s precision work, but like everything else it’s just learning the basics and then practice, practice, practice.”

“Don’t worry, most of your practice will be on the job. Your free time I want to spend teaching you about weather.”

“Weather? What for?”

Rainbow rolled her eyes at Applejack. “Well, duh! How great will it be when you can just grab a cloud and put the shade or the shower right where you need it?”

“Huh. I reckon it would be mighty nice at that. Wait, aren’t there schedules and stuff about that?”

“You wouldn’t say that if you knew how many apples I’ve poached since I moved to Ponyville. Besides, I told you, I’m really enjoying myself. Teaching you is making me think about all the parts of flying that I haven’t thought about in forever. It can’t help but make me a better flier too, so everypony wins!”

“So, lunch time?”

“Ha! Seriously, a lot of weather work is around dawn, I just usually grab a nap afterwards. What works for you?”

“If you’re really gonna be up early, just come on over when you’re done. You can nap here as well as anywhere if it comes to that.”

“True enough. See you tomorrow then!” and with that Dash took off, flitting into the clouds.

Applejack ducked into the barn to put her helmet away and retrieve her hat before heading into the house. “Sorry Ah’m late for dinner, everypony!”

At the head of the table, Granny Smith squinted at her granddaughter. “Well, that explains why I couldn’t get word one out of yer brother and sister. Thought you was gonna get taken care of this morning.”

Applejack shrugged. “Official word was ‘Nothing we can do, learn to live with it’. So that’s what Ah’m doin’.” Launching herself with a casual flutter of her wings, she sailed across the room and dropped into her spot at the table. “And Ah’d say that at least now Ah am able to outfly a chicken.”

Granny frowned. “That’s all well and good fer you, but Mac can’t work this whole farm alone while you’re gallavantin’ through the clouds.”

Applejack nodded. “An’ he won’t have to. As mah good friend pointed out to me, Ah still have apples on mah flank, and Ah have to believe that means somethin’.”

The eldest Apple sighed. “You three already have yer minds made up, I see. Should have figured that.”

“So yer not gonna throw Applejack out of the family?” Apple Bloom asked, then immediately clapped her hooves over her mouth as her siblings gaped at her.

Granny looked askance at her youngest grandchild. “Land sakes, child, what possessed you to ask something like that?”

Apple Bloom was engaged in an intense study of her dinner plate. “Cousin Fuji,” she answered quietly.

Her grandmother registered surprise for a moment, then resignation. “Oh. Someone’s been tellin’ family business out of turn, I see.”

Applejack’s wings flared. “This happens to me, and you don’t suppose it’s the first thing Ah thought of?”

“What happened to you was an accident. I wouldn’t disown you for losin’ a leg, I won’t do it for growin’ feathers, not so long as you’re willing to do yer best fer the family.”

“And weather work has nothin’ to do with growin’ crops?” Applejack was standing with her hooves on the table by this point, though she had kept her voice steady.

It was Granny Smith’s turn to examine her plate. “You were young, Applejack. Florina ruled the family with an iron hoof in those days.”

“Florina passed on some three years back. You’re eldest now. The Apple Family reunion is in two weeks. Is a pegasus welcome there or not?” Applejack watched her grandmother’s jaw work, the play of emotion evident in her eyes, ears, and mouth. “I... I don’t know,” she finally answered weakly.

“Granny?”

“I don’t know. I never wanted this, I never wanted any of this. I’m just a farm pony! I love my family, I love my farm, why can’t that be enough?”

The elder mare’s words were like a bucket of cold water on Applejack’s anger. She put her hoof on Granny Smith’s shoulder. “Ah’m sorry, Granny. Ah had no cause to put it all on you.” She sat back down at her seat before continuing. “Ah’ll skip the reunion this one time,” she started, holding up a hoof to forestall interruption as Macintosh and Apple Bloom started to respond. “Next year, after Ah’ve had a chance to show that Ah still belong and everypony’s had a chance to hear about and get used to the situation, Ah can come without causin’ a ruckus.”

“None o’that now,” replied AJ. “Ah’m countin’ on you ta tell mah story and keep the rumors from gettin’ outta hand, and that means all of you.”

“Durin’ the Summer Sun Celebration, AB? Ah don’t think you have ta worry about that. Now look, Ah’ve delayed supper long enough. Let’s dig in!”

Though perfectly willing to load up her plate and start eating, Apple Bloom’s curiosity was undiminished. “So how come you can fly so good all of a sudden?” she asked her sister between bites.

“You have ta ask? When yer teacher is the best flyer around pickin’ up the basics ain’t too hard.”

“There’s regular teachin’ for colts an’ fillies, ain’t there? Ah was kind of a one time deal.”

“Same way you learn anything, Ah guess. Mostly she told me what Ah needed to know and when Ah tried it out she gave me pointers on what Ah was doin’ right an’ wrong.”

“So what did she say?”

Applejack glanced over at Granny Smith. “Ah don’t think it would make much sense to you, sis. Flappin’ rates and feather angles and such.”

The rest of the meal passed in relative silence. Applejack offered to do all the cleaning up since she had been late, but Apple Bloom volunteered to help with the dishes. At the sink, dish towel in hoof, she looked up at her big sister with concern written on her face. “AJ? Did you mean it about your flyin’ lesson or did you not wanna talk about it in from of Granny?”

Her sister shrugged. “Both, Ah guess. Ah don’t think what Dash told me woulda made much sense to me last week, an’ Ah don’t see any point in gettin’ Granny any more stirred up.”

Applejack stretched her wing over Apple Bloom, pulling her into a hug. “Ah know ya didn’t, AB. It’s just as new ta you as it is ta me, an’ Ah don’t blame ya for bein’ curious.”

She got a grin in reply. “Ah don’t know, you’re a pretty big pony to be flyin’ around with.”

After the sisters finished the dinner cleanup, Applejack came back out from the kitchen to find Macintosh with maps and ledgers already spread out on the table. “Thanks, Mac. Ah guess I’ve been holdin’ things up all day.”

The stallion shook his head. “You’ve had a lot to deal with, and that’s a fact. Plenty of time to talk about what we need to do.”

Applejack sat down next to her brother. “Ah guess if there’s anything to be grateful for it’s that this happened at the beginnin’ of summer. Next spring is gonna be the hardest part, I reckon.”

“How so?”

“Ah... can’t hear the trees anymore, Mac. Mebbe a little, but not like before. Ah hope they can still hear me a little too, but that may be wishin’. The spring planting, Ah don’t know how well it’s gonna work for me.”

“Gotcha. So you need to do more of the physical stuff while I sweet talk the sprouts. Makes sense.” Big Mac pondered for a moment, then added, “You know the way pegasi haul wagons through the air? That would be a mighty big help with this.”

“Now summer, that’s more keeping an eye on things, and what with you bein’ able to see all sides of the problem with your superior pegasus vision, I figure we ought to do OK there.”

“Oh, yeah, I remember Dash sayin’ something about pegasus eyes.” She looked at her brother. “So how come you know about that?”

Applejack chuckled. “Ah guess that you musta already given this some thought, since you already know so much about pegasi.”

“Ah, sure, but, um,” Rainbow Dash grinned sheepishly as she replied, “I can do that, but I’m not that good at it. Not my style, you know? Even Fluttershy was better at it. Tell you what, though, after I get you started with it we can talk to Boxy; I know he’ll help you out. Nopony in Ponyville is better at air hauling than he is.”

“Ah surely would appreciate it. After Ah finish today’s tree inspection, we can use the light cart for mah first lesson, OK?”

“It’s a deal.”

A smile lit up the white unicorn’s face as her friend came through the door. “Fluttershy, darling! How are you today?”

Fluttershy smiled at Rarity. “I’m doing well.” As she joined her friend in the spa’s entry room, she turned to the receptionist and added, “I’d like the full earth pony treatment today, please,” before looking back at Rarity and adding “but I really need some hoof care today.”

As the two ponies were led into the spa’s interior, Rarity took the opportunity to examine the yellow pony’s hooves. “My, but they do look a bit chipped. Whatever have you been doing?”

“Well, so many critters live in trees, and up in the hills, so I have to climb to get to them.”

“Of course, I should have known. What about using a ladder?” the unicorn replied as they settled into the baths and began to soak.

“That’s fine for near the cottage, but carrying ladders everywhere is more trouble than learning to climb was.”

“Well, I can see that. Perhaps you should ask Applejack for some tips on using a rope?”

Rarity nodded, though with cucumber slices over their eyes neither mare was able to see it. “When I saw her yesterday, she did look a bit unsettled.”

“Is it so different, having your own wings? I was able to use the ones from Twilight’s spell right away.”

“I think the difference is that the spell added wings to what you are. What happened to us was an exchange; she’s a pegasus now, just like I’m an earth pony.”

“You don’t? Earth ponies work the land, pegasi work the sky. Everypony knows that.”

Rarity began to answer, then paused as Fluttershy’s words sank in. “Wait. Are you saying that Applejack isn’t a farmer any more?”

“Oh, no, I don’t think it’s that bad. I mean, I was able to take care of animals and tend my garden before. But it’s not going to be easy for her.” Fluttershy thought for a moment. “Suppose that you became an earth pony. You would still be able to design, but making the dresses would be a lot harder, right?”

“I should say! Not that I couldn’t, mind you, but so many things would be more difficult. No offense.”

“It’s not as direct, but that’s the situation that Applejack is in. I’m sure she’ll work it out, but I shouldn’t add anything else for her to worry about just yet.”

“Your splendid analogy. It was quite enlightening.” Rarity paused, then continued in a lighter tone, “And speaking of insight, have you read about sashes being the new fashion accessory trend from Manehattan? I’d like your opinion.”

The new pegasus listened attentively to the experienced one. She’d finally exchanged her hat for an old pair of Rainbow’s goggles, having grown weary of having it blown into her eyes or off her head, or getting it caught in the branches of a tree.

Dash gestured, her hooves indicating the collection of clouds high over the forest. “Now there’s a bunch of big words that they use in the regular classes, but all you really need to know about clouds is size, density, wetness, and darkness.”

“Sure, that works. Except dark means lightning, so you want to stay sharp about that part. Head for that big fluffy one there, and I’ll show you some cloud wrangling.”

Applejack followed her teacher toward the cloud in question, gingerly landing on top of it. “This is the hardest part to get used to. It spooked me the whole time we was at the Young Flyers Competition, havin’ clouds feel like somethin’ solid-like.”

“Huh. That’s so obvious when you say it, and I never thought about that part. I guess we should start by just letting you play around with some clouds, get a feel for it, take your time.”

Applejack chuckled. “Ah never in mah life thought I’d hear those words outta Rainbow Dash.”

Dash grinned. “Is that so? Blame Tank. Owning a tortoise is a great way to learn patience.”

The unicorn being addressed looked up from her book. “Evening, Rarity. What brings you by the library?”

“I’d like to request your expertise for something I had in mind concerning Applejack.”

The other unicorn shook her head. “Not even the Princesses have the magic to change it.”

“Oh, you misunderstand me, dear. It’s not your magical expertise I’m calling upon.”
    It's good. An interesting story, and pretty unique. I liked it, and can't wait until the next chapter comes out.

I guess my internet can't handle IRC for too long without crashing. Will try to figure that out... I do so enjoy talking to you guys.

15. - Top - End - #1155

Spoiler
    Show
    Still waiting on somepony to associate Iron Will with Mr. T
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    (was going to say something chaotic about freedom of expression)
    (sees That Font)
    (has flashbacks)
    oh god not the fae
    Oh good, a kindred spirit!

Bravo! It is an excellent picture, so congratulations!

Also, yay New Perspectives updated!

And happy Derpy Day everypony!
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

17. - Top - End - #1157

I think I missed it, can someone link Deadly's newest?
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Dwarf in the Playground

Squee my blind bags showed up today and even splitting it with my brother I got a special edition Pinkie Pie.

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Still waiting on somepony to associate Iron Will with Mr. T
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was thinking of Rex Kwon Do.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Titan in the Playground

Some excellent pony gown pictures. Not sure if people have seen these, but the artist not only drew amazing gowns, but also named each one and gave a short description of the design and character of the outfit. Should read them on the gallery page.

Spoiler
    Show

Chocolate Rain
    Spoiler
    Show

Aurora
    Spoiler
    Show

New Frontier
    Spoiler
    Show

Last Sunbeam
    Spoiler
    Show

Morning Dew
    Spoiler
    Show

Sadly, Rarity's gown is still in progress and has not yet been unveiled. All six are complete, I'm just blind.

Diamond Dust
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-03-02 at 12:19 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

21. - Top - End - #1161

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I think I missed it, can someone link Deadly's newest?
    His dA link's in his sig, but to save you a moment, here you go.

Sadly, my works can never tap into the force of "d'aaw", because I'm not really susceptible to it myself. That said, it's a neat picture. Perhaps I should look into vector art more seriously at some point.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Titan in the Playground

Part Eight
    Spoiler
    Show

“Weather? What for?”

“So, lunch time?”

“Granny?”

“So what did she say?”

“How so?”

“It’s a deal.”

Very nice. I didn't catch any mistakes so good work. I'm kinda sad that Fluttershy doesn't get as much attention in this story but it makes sense considering her disposition.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Titan in the Playground

Couple of images I felt like sharing after seeing them on Ponibooru:
    Spoiler
    Show

Daaww. Momma Derpy is still best Derpy.

Probably the single best humanized Twilight I've ever seen. And the only humanized pony I've ever seen that gives that humanized Dash I actually saved a run for its money as best humanized pony.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

24. - Top - End - #1164

His dA link's in his sig, but to save you a moment, here you go.

Sadly, my works can never tap into the force of "d'aaw", because I'm not really susceptible to it myself. That said, it's a neat picture. Perhaps I should look into vector art more seriously at some point.
    Great, my pancreas just informed me that it's going to be acting in self defense now.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Titan in the Playground

Part Eight
    Spoiler
    Show

“Weather? What for?”

“So, lunch time?”

“Granny?”

“So what did she say?”

“How so?”

“It’s a deal.”

Very nice. I didn't catch any mistakes so good work. I'm kinda sad that Fluttershy doesn't get as much attention in this story but it makes sense considering her disposition.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Titan in the Playground

The worst part of being on the front page of dA, you ask? All the freakin' haters and spammers and trolls come out.

Apparently march 1 is also Self-Harm Awareness day and half my comments are filled with some hater thinking Derpy Day is offensive because in his mind it can't share that date with a serious awareness day. As if the message of friendship and love wasn't important too. Bah, humbug. I liked one of the responses he got, "Then go do something more productive and create something dedicated to this day." Right on.

Anyway, yay! 2000 faves in 15 hours, and used as the header image for the mini art event on EqD. I guess people really like happy Derpy

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Titan in the Playground

The worst part of being on the front page of dA, you ask? All the freakin' haters and spammers and trolls come out.

Apparently march 1 is also Self-Harm Awareness day and half my comments are filled with some hater thinking Derpy Day is offensive because in his mind it can't share that date with a serious awareness day. As if the message of friendship and love wasn't important too. Bah, humbug. I liked one of the responses he got, "Then go do something more productive and create something dedicated to this day." Right on.

Anyway, yay! 2000 faves in 15 hours, and used as the header image for the mini art event on EqD. I guess people really like happy Derpy
    I don't see why any Self-Harm Awareness needs a day. It seems like something that should be constantly worked on rather then a celebration like Derpy Day.

What's a better way to word this....

Derpy Day is a celebration of friendship and love, while Self-Harm Awareness is a movement that tries to promote understanding about a serious issue. The idea that Self-Harm Awareness being limited to one day seems to be incorrect. I'm sure the movement would like to keep up constant work expanding Self-Harm Awareness. That they currently focus on one time of the year is likely a compromise of not having enough resources.

That being said in no way are the two mutually exclusive. I can't see why someone can't celebrate our grey walleyed pegasus and learn more about the issues of self-harm in the same day.

EDIT: I'm stating the obvious here aren't I?
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2012-03-02 at 06:20 AM.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I don't see why any Self-Harm Awareness needs a day. It seems like something that should be constantly worked on rather then a celebration like Derpy Day.

What's a better way to word this....

Derpy Day is a celebration of friendship and love, while Self-Harm Awareness is a movement that tries to promote understanding about a serious issue. The idea that Self-Harm Awareness being limited to one day seems to be incorrect. I'm sure the movement would like to keep up constant work expanding Self-Harm Awareness. That they currently focus on one time of the year is likely a compromise of not having enough resources.

That being said in no way are the two mutually exclusive. I can't see why someone can't celebrate our grey walleyed pegasus and learn more about the issues of self-harm in the same day.

EDIT: I'm stating the obvious here aren't I?
    I agree that obviously self-harm is an issue that needs to be worked on continually, but it does seem to be a common thing to have days of awareness for all kinds of things.

The sad truth is that there are so many serious issues that deserves awareness, you just can't expect people to be aware of them all or dedicate to all of them the kind of effort and time needed to make an actual effect on the issue. That's why it's silly to bitch about some issue not getting enough attention, instead of working hard to make sure at least some people become aware of it.

And in this case it's especially silly, because Derpy Day is all about friendship and love, and I'm sure that's exactly what most self-harmers lack in their lives in the first place. So not only are the two not mutually exclusive, they're mutially beneficial, or could be.

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Titan in the Playground

Chapter 1
    Spoiler
    Show
    "What?!" Spike coughed spraying bits of sapphire across the breakfast table. Shooting a look of disbelief at Twilight he continued "You want to do more research on the Want it, Need it Spell? Last time you cast that spell you caused all of Ponyville to riot!" Spike practically shouted at Twilight.

"Exactly Spike" Twilight replied, waving a hoof as if to brush away Spike's concerns. "That spell isn't designed to work like that and I want to figure out what went wrong."

"Uh-uh, no way. I don't want to end up as a love crazed zombie." Spike shook his head adamantly.

"Well how about this? I cast an anti-magic spell on you first so you'll be immune and that way you can supervise and make sure things don't get out of hand." Twilight offered

"I don't know Twilight, it still seems like a bad idea"

"Pleeeeease Spike." Twilight's eyes watered up with fake tears and her lip began to wobble.

"Fine, fine. But one more condition! We tell Princess Celestia what we're doing first, so she can keep an eye on things in case I can't handle."

"Alright Spike, take a note.

Twilight quickly dictated her plans for her new project to her assistant.

"Your Faithful Student,

Twilight Sparkle

Ok Spike send it, and start grabbing books. Lets start with Clover's Compendium of Classic Castings."

--------------------------------------------

Twilight hummed in contentment as she finished reading the last page of the book. Getting up she stretched to work out some of the kinks of staying still for so long. Two weeks of studying had wreaked havoc on her posture.

"Spike? Spiiiike?" She called

"Yes Twilight, what is it?" Spike replied hurrying over from where he was sorting his gem collection

"I've figured out what I did wrong last time!" Twilight said humming some more and doing a little victory dance. Spike couldn't help but smile at her antics.

"So what did you find out?" Spike asked after a few moments.

"Oh right! I figured out that last time I cast the spell I did everything right, except that I used a little bit too much power." Twilight said coming back down to reality.

"How much more power?"

"......."

"Sorry what was that?"

"About a hundred times too much." Twilight admitted sheepishly "The spell is only meant to make the selected ponies love whatever the target of the spell is, not turn them into love crazed zombies."

"So you mean you've always been casting that spell wrong but last time was particularly bad? How are they supposed to act?"

"Apparently completely normally, just as if they had naturally fallen in love. Its all supposed to be very subtle."

".... For some reason that actually seems scarier then the love crazed zombies" Spike's scales clicked as he shuddered.

"Oh Spike you worry too much" Twilight rubbed his head affectionately. "Everything is going to be fine, I just need to cast the spell as a trial and we can study something else. All I need now is a test subject."

"What's this about a test subject? Why would you want to be test somepony? Tests are Bor-ing! I mean I-"

"Ah! Pinkie Pie! Where did you come from?" Twilight shouted, turning around in surprise.

"Sugercube Corner, duh. I mean where else would I come from? What a silly question Twilight you already know where I live. So maybe you meant where I came from originally? Well when a mare and a stallion love each other really much-"

"N-nevermind Pinkie! Just what do you want?" Twilight reeled back, a little stunned by the sheer velocity of Pinkie's speech.

"I'm throwing a party and you have to be there! And no buts Twilight, you've spent the last two weeks working on this project of yours and we have barely seen you at all. Besides you have to come! Me and Applejack have finally created Sweet Apple Cider Cupcakes! It has almonds in it Twilight! Almonds!" Pinkie's eyes bugged out a little as she pressed her face up to Twilight's for a second. "Anyways its the first official testing and I want my bestest friends to all be there! Though spoiler alert; the cupcakes are delicious." Pinkie started to bounce around Twilight as she kept talking.

"Applejack and I" Twilight corrected automatically before her brain caught up with Pinkie, "An Apple Cider Cupcake? That sounds pretty good, and I've finished the book research anyways, I just need to test the spell. So yes I'll be there Pinkie!" Twilight said with her stomach slightly grumbling.

"Great, see ya at eight!" And with that Pinkie bounced back out of the library.
    ----------------------------------

Pinkie's party was a smashing success as always. The music was a perfect blend of classic and modern hits, even featuring the latest hit from OctaviaxScratch Productions. 'Guppy's Pick' Punch was as tasty as ever and this time with 100% less gator! But the real hit of the party were the Apple Cider Cupcakes. Pinkie had thought ahead and baked them in such large amounts that they initially had formed a miniature Ponyville in the middle of Surgarcube Corner. Initially, because as soon as the party began Rainbow Dash had begun devouring them. She had already polished her own home off as well as Town Hall and now was working her way through the cupcake bounty of Sweet Apple Acres. The others had eaten their fair share of the cupcake town and were now just having a good time, either on the dance floor or just talking to each other.

"So what have ya been working on these last few weeks sugarcube?" Applejack asked with a cup of punch balanced on her hat.

"Well remember that Want it Need it spell? I've figured out why it went so horribly wrong last time." Twilight replied.

"An' what's that?"

"I simply used far too much power. Now I'd like to cast it again to see what it the effects are when its working properly. But Spike's already said no and I doubt anypony is willing to let me even try!" Twilight complained.

"Well shucks, can ya blame em? Nopony wants to be a love crazed zombie."

"The spell isn't supposed to that! It's apparently much more subtle but I don't know what that means." Twilight explained hanging her head low in weariness.

Applejack just stared at Twilight. On one hoof she felt bad for the purple mare. On the other hoof, she didn't exactly want to be a love crazed zombie. But if Twilight got too frustrated she might take it in her head to just cast the spell on some unwitting pony. It was Applejack's duty, no her privilege to bite the bullet for all of Ponyville.

"Shoot, Ah think Ah'll regret this but Ah reckon you can cast the spell on me." Applejack volunteered with a gulp.

"Really?!" Twilight beamed at Applejack

"But you promise me right now that if Ah'm actin the least bit odd you'll stop the spell immediately, got it?"

"Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye! Thank you Applejack! I promise nothing bad will happen."

Suddenly Pinkie Pie rushed over

"Hi girls! Whatcha talking about? Twilight's smiling so it must be funny or good news! Tell me, tell me, tell me, tell me!" She said.

"Applejack volunteered to help me test the new improved Want it Need it Spell. " Twilight explained.

Now all of their friends were crowded around them, talking excitedly.

"Darling are you sure about this? Hearts aren't something you should be trifling with."

"I can't wait! This is going to be so awesome! Seeing Applejack mooning over some object is going to be so funny"

"Good luck, Twilight. Um, do you mind if I watch as well. I-if you don't mind that is.

"This is going to be so much fun! So when are you casting the spell?"

Applejack just facehooved at the attention. Her little favor to Twilight just got turned into a spectacle for all of their friends. At least Applebloom and Big Mac won't be there. She consoled herself.

"I don't see why not. I was thinking of beginning testing first thing tomorrow morning, if that's alright with you Applejack?"

"Sure, might as well get this over with quickly." Applejack replied, her voice muffled by her hoof.

The girls chatted some more, excited about what the morning would bring. Nopony was paying attention to Spike who decided to sneak out and write an emergency letter to the Princess.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The sun was just beginning to rise as the Elements of Harmony plus Spike made their way outside of Ponyville. Applejack was dragging her "Thanks for saving Ponyville" award. The award was nearly a foot taller then her and made from solid brass. After reaching the lake they stopped walking and Applejack spit the reward from her mouth. Amazing the award stayed up right.

"Alright Twi, mind tellin me what you wanted with mah award?"

"Well I figured that if anything does go wrong then you'll all fall in love with something that is too big to carry easily. That's also why we are all the way out here so no other pony could be caught by the spell."

"Well why are we out here so early? I mean the sun isn't even up yet!"

"Ah didn't ask you to come Rainbow. You could have just slept in!" Applejack retorted.

"Ha! Fat chance AJ! I wouldn't miss this for season tickets to the Wonderbolts." Rainbow Dash grinned at her friend.

"Well lets just get this over with. Ah'd rather not spend all day under this spell."

"Alright, Applejack I want you to focus on the trophy as much as you can, everypony else close your eyes so you don't get caught in the spell."

Twilight bent her head till her horn was only a micron away from actually touching the trophy. She felt the magic well up in her and began weaving the spell. She was taking extraordinary care in making sure that everything was right. After all not only was Applejack trusting her, she'd never live it down if she messed up this spell again. She was just finishing up the very last part of the spell when Luna's Royal Canterlot Voice hit her from behind at point blank range.

GREETINGS TWILIGHT SPARKLE! WE ARE PLEASED TO ONCE AGAIN MEET WITH YOU!

and then everything blew up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 2

Spoiler
    Show
    Twilight woke up to an annoying beeping noise. Looking around she noticed she was in the hospital, with the beeping coming from a heart rate monitor. Before she could notice anything else she was suddenly surrounded by her friends, chattering in concern. Before things could get out of control, Nurse Redheart and Princess Luna entered the room.

"Quiet! Some of the other patients are resting." The nurse hissed. The girls muttered some apologies. Giving them one last glare, Nurse Redheart bowed to her Highness and left the room.

"Oh, Twilight. Are you feeling well? We apologies for startling you, it was not our intent to scare you into miscasting the spell." Luna said softly.... well softly for her anyways, which amounted to a normal indoors volume.

"Ugh, what happen exactly?" Twilight asked, still a little groggy from waking up.

"We're not sure darling."

"Yeah, because you we all had our eyes close and Applejack was looking at the award. So we were just standing there with our eyes closed when we heard Luna say hi and then there was a sound like a firework going off too close and when we open our eyes you were lying on the ground and unconscious. But your awake now and everything is better!"

"When you miscast the spell it imploded. The resulting blast knocked you unconscious. We rushed you to the hospital as quickly as we could."

"But Princess, why were you here in the first place?"

"Please Twilight, we would like it if you called us Luna. But to answer your question your squire Spike sent our royal sister a letter informing her of an 'attempt to cast an dangerous spell' that you would perform this morning. Rather then wait for our sister to awaken we rushed over as soon as the Night Court had been dismissed."

"Letter? SPIKE?!"

"Oh-umm I gotta go clean up the library Twilight! Glad to see your awake." Spike ran for the door.

"Oh no you don't!" Twilight tried to teleport him back with her horn. However just some weak sparks appeared and a sharp pain shot through her head "OW, what just happened?"

"You should be more careful Twilight, here have some water" Fluttershy said floating a glass up to her lip.

"Thanks Fluttershy but why did it hurt to use magic?"

"If you don't mind, I'll answer that." The doctor said entering the room. "Now Twilight it appears that as a result of your accident you've sprained your horn. Its not a big deal but I would recommend not using any heavy duty spells and just sticking to basic levitation and movement spells for the next week."

"A week without magic?" Twilight whined

"Come on Sugarcube, you've spent more time then that just readin before. Ah'm sure a week will pass before you know it."

"Yeah I guess your right. So how long till I can leave the hospital?"

"You can leave right now if you'd like. Besides the sprained horn there is nothing wrong with you. Just be sure to come back in a week so I can give you a check up."

Twilight just nodded in agreement. After a few hours of some tedious paperwork she was free to go.

"We'll have to take our leave of you now Twilight Sparkle. Our sister will be wondering why we missed breakfast. Don't be surprised if she decides to drop in on you sometime this next week." And before anypony could even wish her goodbye the Princess took off, flying back towards Canterlot.

"Well that certainly was-"

"Abrupt?" Rarity suggested.

"Yes, thank you. I guess I'll see you girls later?"

The girls said their goodbyes, each promising to drop by later to check up on her. I'm so lucky to have such caring friends. Twilight thought to herself Now I just need to come up for a fitting punishment for Spike.

Twilight was just beginning to reread one of her Daring Doo books when Applejack knocked on her front door.

"Come in!"

"Hey Twilight Ah was wondering if Ah could talk to you for a while." Applejack said

"Sure. What's going on?"

"Well, you see I've been feelin a might odd after you woke up."

"What do you mean by odd?"

"Ah can't focus and everytime Ah think of the accident this morning it feels like my stomach is flip-flopping all over the place."

"And you think its because of the spell?"

"Ah don't know Twilight, but Ah need to be able to focus on mah work. So Ah was hoping you could help?" Applejack couldn't keep the pleading look out of her eyes, despite her best efforts.

"I don't know how I can help. Without my magic I can't even check if you are being affected by the spell or if those emotions are entirely natural. I couldn't even teach another unicorn to cast the spell due to the complexity of the detection spell. Well I'm sure there are some unicorns in Canterlot who could help but you don't really need my help to contact them." Twilight took a deep breath after she finished.

"Uh huh. Your sure there's nothing you can do to help?"

"I guess I could just come down to Sweet Apple Acres and observe you for a while."

Applejack blushed "A-ah wouldn't want to strain you after the accident. Ah'm sure I can just muddle through this on mah own till you get your magic back."

"Oh it won't be a problem at all. I'll just hang around and see if your acting different. Plus I can help you with your chores, so even if you're distracted we'll be sure to finish them together."

"But ah-" Applejack muttered before being interrupted by Twilight

"Come on lets get started!" Twilight called, already halfway out the door. Applejack just nodded dumbly. Shoot, what's going on with me? Now I'm more shy and distracted then ever. I hope Twilight can think of something to help me. Applejack thought to herself as she followed her friend, never taking her eyes off the purple mare for a second.

Meanwhile outside of Ponyville a certain light blue unicorn was taking a break from hauling her wagon around. She sat in front of her most prized possession, a full length mirror gilded in gold.

"Ok Trixie, we've nearly arrived in Ponyville. Its nearly time to implement the plan. Knock em dead, Trixie." She said to her reflection.

"But what if it goes wrong? This is one gig I can't afford to fail!"

"That's just stage fright talking. The Great and Powerful Trixie can do anything! With these new spells Trixie's learned, Trixie can win over all of Ponyville!"

"I don't need to win over all of Ponyville I just need to- Well I suppose some extra practice can't hurt." Trixie interrupted herself and walked back outside, mentally going over her plan one last time.

Another update which took way too long. Thoughts and comments?
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

30. - Top - End - #1170

Howdy everypony! Just popping my head in to say I'm still alive, don't worry. Work's been hectic and IRC has taken up a lot of my time (you ponies over there are crazy). I'm gonna try to be more active over here again though!

Also, for those of you who are new, Hi! I'm Jade!
    Avatar by DirtyTabs in the Adopt-A-Pony thread.

Thank you all so much for voting!
    Co-Winner of Rainbow Dash in the Playground!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    For your dedication to ponies and giving us all entertainment with your quote tree o' doom, I hereby award you the Louisianan Purchase. How can I do that? Long story short, let's just say I picked a doozy of a poker game to go "all in".