New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: My Little Pony XXXIX: There is no Pegasus Mafia!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post

New Episode thoughts:
    Spoiler
    Show

I was going to bring this up when Rainbow Dash did it, but forgot to. How do ponies sneak around when they have hooves? How come nopony ever hears them?

why nopony ever hears the ninja ponies
    Spoiler
    Show
    because this is a kids show...no clopping allowed

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post

S2e20 (It's About Time) spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why did my first thought go to Bill and Ted at this comment?
    Pinkie must have hopped a ride on Twilight's time-travel spell and set up the flower pot!
    Spoiler
    Show
    this i like
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    S2e20 (It's About Time) spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why did my first thought go to Bill and Ted at this comment?
    Pinkie must have hopped a ride on Twilight's time-travel spell and set up the flower pot!

New Ep
    Spoiler
    Show

Pinkie's gypsy magic allows her to change the past exclusively by warping an object's position in the time stream. Unbeknownst to Pinkie, the destination is locked to several feet above other things that have been affected by time travel. Every time something lands on Twilight's head, Pinkie has saved somepony's parents.

I really wish I could have been in the recording studio when Tara was doing Twilight's conversation with Twilight. That would have been fun to watch.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

It's About Time Discussion
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty good. Something sounded off about Twilight's voice, but it's a minor distraction.

I saw where this was going after the papercut, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. All of the 'signs' were done well, and Twilight got irrational, but not as far as she did in Lesson Zero. I do like the bits of continuity scattered about. The dam, Pinkie Sense, etc. It's a bit silly that she didn't see the Stable (Har!) Time Loop coming, but that might be a side effect of Stable Time Loops in general.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

one thing that stuck out...
    Spoiler
    Show
    mrs cake using a hose to fill the water tank...
    either
    A) the hose is supplied from the water tank in the first place
    and/or
    B)why do they have a water tank at all when they have a giant dam/reservoir right outside town
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

5. - Top - End - #515
    Firbolg in the Playground

episode:

Spoiler
    Show
    Los Pegasus. Yesss

Hey look I have a cameo.
    Montage!
    gypsy Pinkie confirmed
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

Almost forgot something from the ep.

Spoiler
    Show
    Baltimare! I called that city pun a while back, and I'm glad to see they thought of it too!

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Also Episode Thoughts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Probably the most low-key use of time travel I've ever seen, but then again that's probably the exact charm of this episode. I know it makes a lot of people's heads hurt but I LOVE time travel plots. They make my mind work.

And Stable Time Loop with arguable Ontological Paradox... wonderful!

Lots of other good bits, I like how (after a touch) everyone take Twilight seriously and goes around doing preventative maintenance on the town. Much better then "we live in a world of magical ponies but arbitrarily find time travel crazy" or other forms of disbelief. Its a subtle but nice moment from the populace.

And watch how Pinkie works her Gypsy Magic. I suspect its coincidence, but awesome all the same. Inb4 PMV mix up.

Also I will need to listen carefully but in Twi's MAD SCIENCE scene I suspect the Staff Ponies showed their work, and that's not technobabble from Twilight.

I loved Cerberus (oh Fluttershy) but I'm a touch less thrilled at so directly lifting Greek Mythology into Equestria. Yeah pegasi and all as precedent, I don't care. However would some nice somepony with a better knowledge of Greek fill us in if those are actual pronunciations. Because I suspect they are as generally Americans are lazy prigs about language so I suspect common way its said is technically inaccurate but would like confirmation.

Finally Silent Sparkle and Canterlot By Night were made of awesome. New Fanon: All the Royal Guards are a common pool they just use magical armor as appropriate to the time of day to honor the Princesses.

Speaking of I'd been missing a Celestia cameo, thank you episode!

Oh also to other events while I've been gone... Tara Strong confirmed for best trony.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

Weekly Episode Thoughts
    Spoiler
    Show

Watch as I work my gypsy magic~

That is all.

Okay, not really. Ancient evil monsters sealed in Tartarus. MLP gets awesomer with every episode. Crazy Prepared Pinkie totally makes sense (and the return of both air-walking and Pinkie Sense is great). Las Pegasus and Baltimare, heh. Pony place names are fun. Luna night guards! Celestia's casual hello at the end was a fun touch.

I'd say this episode is somewhere in the top, personally.

And completely unrelated, going directly from ME3 to an episode with Cerberus (not to mention Twilight going to MONITOR EVERYTHING) was amusing to me. Maybe that's a sign I've been playing too much ME3... nah, no such thing.

9. - Top - End - #519

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Warning, Ponythread monitoring has detected a high probability of a class-3 hug swarm. Taking cover is advised.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

10. - Top - End - #520
    Bugbear in the Playground

New episode:
    Spoiler
    Show

Did not expect to see Cerberus/Tartarus made a part of FiM canon. So... Celestia is Zeus? And why didn't she stick Nightmare Moon and Discord in there? Why do they still have dragons and ursas wandering around?

Pinkie is officially a gypsy. I'm absolutely positive the writing staff has seen FiW now.

Yes, we all saw the stable time loop coming, but I think it was done pretty well.

Celestia was totally trolling Twilight. Somehow, she knew exactly what had happened/was going to happen.

Does every pony in town own a ninja outfit?
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

On Episode 20, Season 2:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nice. Wrapped everything up nicely, the whole time loop gone in a completely circle and made perfect sense.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

12. - Top - End - #522
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    And Mayor Mare is just another Future!Twilight in disguise so she can track all the events in Ponyville without anyone knowing about her mission!

If she didn't assign Twilight as All Team Organizer winter would never have been wrapped up and Ponyville would have starved! If she didn't throw that parade for MMDW Rainbow Dash would never have tried unmasking her, causing her to break down and leave Ponyville forever. Without their local weather mare, Ponyville would have been DOOOOMED! She's the one who called Celestia in Lesson Zero too!

Stop making so much sense!
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2012-03-10 at 03:36 PM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ettin in the Playground

GIT IM!!!

*Megaglompyhugs*

Oh also to other events while I've been gone... Tara Strong confirmed for best trony.
    Relevant, not related to any spoilers.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground

New Episode: Initial thoughts...

Spoiler
    Show
    After a great deal of faffing around with ME3 - and still some to go before I even get as far actually, y'know, playing the damn game, I thought, bugger this, I'll go and watch pony... After mentally setting my mental standards for another okay episode, as would be true to form...

So, I was pleasently surprised - for once - when my cynicismed proved to be wrong. That was more like the pony I've missed for the last few episodes, even including random magical monster attacks, Fluttershy back to herself and hysterically funny moments, and comically inept Twilight.

Bonus for extra Spike, and Pinkie, as usual - though I don't tink she quite stole the show this time, as everypony was on form.

I am reminded again, that, if Spike and Rarity would never happen, RD and Spike woud be a close second; they certainly do very much have sense of humour in common...

Twi getting caught by the guard was hilarious, as was Celestia's cameo. Poor silly Twilight - common sense if just something that happens to other ponies for you, sin't it?

Excellent return to form, I felt.

So probably everypony else thought not much of it, then, as usually happens...!

Edit: New Episode:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I love how Twilight is so casual about just going to the gates of hell to prevent a monster apocolypse. "Epic" quest indeed, Spike!

Good episode, good episode.

And didn't I tell you just earlier today Pinkie was psychic. Well, psionic, that's totally close enough!
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-03-10 at 04:49 PM.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Athaniar View Post
    Weekly Episode Thoughts
    Spoiler
    Show

Watch as I work my gypsy magic~

That is all.

Okay, not really. Ancient evil monsters sealed in Tartarus. MLP gets awesomer with every episode. Crazy Prepared Pinkie totally makes sense (and the return of both air-walking and Pinkie Sense is great). Las Pegasus and Baltimare, heh. Pony place names are fun. Luna night guards! Celestia's casual hello at the end was a fun touch.

I'd say this episode is somewhere in the top, personally.

And completely unrelated, going directly from ME3 to an episode with Cerberus (not to mention Twilight going to MONITOR EVERYTHING) was amusing to me. Maybe that's a sign I've been playing too much ME3... nah, no such thing.
    RE: Pronunciations. As a total Greek mythology nerd, I feel obliged to point out that Cerberus is prononced with a hard C, not a soft one. Also, I pronounce it TAR-tar-rus, not Tar-TAR-us, but I have no idea which pronunciation is correct.

BTW, a very good episode, very logical use of time travel and some of the funniest moments I've seen in a while. I actually love Twilight's future-punk look. She should keep it!
    Lovely avatar thanks to Akrim.elf!

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Warning, Ponythread monitoring has detected a high probability of a class-3 hug swarm. Taking cover is advised.
    Aww thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    GIT IM!!!

*Megaglompyhugs*
    *AchGaspCantBreathe*

Relevant, not related to any spoilers.
    You have no idea how hard it was to break away from that.

TS is the best trony

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ettin in the Playground

New episode thoughts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought it was pretty good. The main story was pretty weak, but there were more then enough good individual moments to make up for it. The continuity was also pretty nice.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-03-10 at 05:20 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

18. - Top - End - #528
    Colossus in the Playground

Episode:

Spoiler
    Show
    It was good, but I'm appreciating it far more for the fanon fuel than the story itself. Fandom's going to do some fantastic stuff with these concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by Even Human View Post
    A question I'm genuinely curious about: what's the difference between 'a real knack for dealing with plants' and 'their magic is being good with plants', to you? Same question to Thanqol.
    Plants don't need magic to raise. Plants need patience and care to raise. If earth ponies could stomp the ground and rose bushes instantly grow then you'd have a case but they do it the mundane way, and saying 'oh, they have magic' devalues the difficulty of growing crops the mundane way.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    New Episode
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know about "off", I loved it, but Twilight's reactions sure are irrational. For one, why didn't she immediately contact Celestia to see if she knew something? That's what she did in the very first episode, as the very first thing when she learned something was about to happen. Why not now?
    Spoiler
    Show
    When has Twilight EVER contacted Princess Celestia for help? The last time she did that was in Episode 1, where it was more a report advocating action than a request for information. For this show to function we've got to assume that the lead doesn't go running to the Immortal God Princess every time something goes wrong.

And all was right with the world.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

You have no idea how hard it was to break away from that.

TS is the best trony
    I first read that as Twilight Sparkle. Coincidence? I think not.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Troll in the Playground

new ep:
    Spoiler
    Show
    we've got memes, pinkie being awesome, and enough vague references to keep the fanfics folks happy for years.

i approve
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground

New episode spoilers:

Spoiler
    Show

I loved this episode. Every pony that appeared was in character and, while the focus was on Twilight, we got to see other characters and their interactions.

I also loved the Ancient Greek references. Because this story is, basically, Oedipus Rex, except much less squicky and with technicolour marshmallow ponies. I saw it as a way for the writers to say "Yes, we're using an old story, and yes, we know it's old, but we can still make it good."

For me, MLP:FiM has never really been about the stories. The stories are just an excuse for the character interaction, and to explore the characters. And this was a good example of that. The story was simple and easy to follow and even predict, but that's okay because it provided excellent character moments and interactions.

Also, I'm really starting to think Twilight has bad OCD, like me.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

Today's Episode
    Spoiler
    Show
    So after watching it a few more times, I think I can confirm my initial enthusiasm. This episode is plain awesome ^^ One of the best. Difficult to rate the episodes, but I'd say it's somewhere at the top.

The pacing, the story, the jokes, the way all the ponies have a part... it was really enjoyable. It feels like a while since I've enjoyed an episode quite like this. I'm not sure what it is exactly, it just works.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    When has Twilight EVER contacted Princess Celestia for help? The last time she did that was in Episode 1, where it was more a report advocating action than a request for information. For this show to function we've got to assume that the lead doesn't go running to the Immortal God Princess every time something goes wrong.
    Today's Episode
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, since there was no big catastrophe here, Celestia's response would not doubt be "don't worry, all is well", which of course Twilight being Twilight would then go right ahead and disregard, leading to exactly the same outcome.

I don't know, it just seems like "my future self just warned me of impending disaster" would be something the princess might want to have known about, just as with NMM's prophecy. I'm not sure what other situations there have been that compare. With the dragon and Discord it was Celestia who contacted Twilight. As far as I can remember those are the only big, dangerous, impending-doom scenarios we've seen.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

New episode
    Spoiler
    Show
    Loved it.

Cerberus, ancient evils, and Tarturus being a part of the MLP world is awesome. Does that mean demons are involved, too? Pinkie and Spike were hilarious (I've missed the little guy). Also, Las Pegasus. Heh. That scene where Twilight tries to warn Ponyville while wearing the fake mustache reminds me of one of the Bond movies. Octopussy, I think was? He tries to warn everyone about a stolen nuke while dressed as a clown. Bond doesn't get laughed at, though. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to watch this episode a few more times.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

New Ep...
    Spoiler
    Show
    If Twilight had succeeded...

Celestia: Twilight! You've created a TIME PARADOX... you can't go changing the future like that! You have to understand the future!

25. - Top - End - #535
    Titan in the Playground

I have returned from my vacation, and pics will be uploaded in due time, but there is some business to attend to first. Namely, the two new episodes, a week's worth of ponythread, various RPs, Ask Blogs, and the dozen and a half other awesome works of music, art, writing, or whatever this fandom can put out in that time. Now the sensible response would be to slowly catch up on this pile of pony over a few days, but when I have I ever taken the sensible response? So without further ado...

Cover me ponythread.

*readies flintlock pistols*

I'm going in.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-03-10 at 06:37 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    I have returned from my vacation, and pics will be uploaded in due time, but there is some business to attend to first. Namely, the two new episodes, a week's worth of ponythread, various RPs, Ask Blogs, and the dozen and a half other awesome works of music, art, writing, or whatever this fandom can put out in that time. Now the sensible response would be to slowly catch up on this pile of pony over a few days, but when I have I ever taken the sensible response? So without further ado...

Cover me ponythread.

*readies flintlock pistols*

I'm going in.
    Can we expect a Siuis style megaquote?

On the new episode:

Spoiler
    Show
    I thought it was lovely in every way.

Although I'm beginning to expect them to show us something more substantial about Starswirl at some point now, this is the third time they have namedropped him (her?) now.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAquilaDei View Post
    Can we expect a Siuis style megaquote?

On the new episode:

Spoiler
    Show
    I thought it was lovely in every way.

Although I'm beginning to expect them to show us something more substantial about Starswirl at some point now, this is the third time they have namedropped him (her?) now.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing about Star Swirl. One of my complaints about season two is the lack of a story arc like S1 had with the Gala, it'd be pretty sweet if one does show up.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

28. - Top - End - #538
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing about Star Swirl. One of my complaints about season two is the lack of a story arc like S1 had with the Gala, it'd be pretty sweet if one does show up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And Starswirl totally could show up given that HE INVENTED TIME TRAVEL
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-03-10 at 06:46 PM.

29. - Top - End - #539

S2E20
    Spoiler
    Show
    My only complaint is that the ending seemed a bit over-explained. Come on, we're not little kids!

...Oh. Right. Never mind, then.

That necessary evil aside, this is a top-tier episode, easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    And Starswirl totally could show up given that HE INVENTED TIME TRAVEL
    While one could argue this implied by the episode there's a hole in that logic. Allow me to demonstrate: everything at the Kennedy Space Center was created by JFK.

Fun idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    S2E20
    Spoiler
    Show
    My only complaint is that the ending seemed a bit over-explained. Come on, we're not little kids!

...Oh. Right. Never mind, then.

That necessary evil aside, this is a top-tier episode, easily.
    I actually got a lot out of that. It made the plot tie together nicely for me in a way that wouldn't otherwise.