New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: My Little Pony XXXIX: There is no Pegasus Mafia!

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Well we didn't see anypony calling Gilda a monster. However it seems clear that it was thought of disrespectful to call Iron Will a monster instead of a Minotaur.
    Which would be a similar example but doesn't answer the "why" of the designation monster. Its not like the populace at large ran in terror from either. Likewise it not unusual for our Mane 6 ponies to not know something. There I'm just going with spotty knowledge by Rarity and Pinkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Also not using spoilers, as I don't need to mention the specific place. I don't think that either Nightmare Moon or Discord qualify as out and out evil. Discord comes close, but he's more about pure chaos and only acted in an evil manner to prevent himself from instantly being turned back into stone. Nightmare Moon again was not really evil so much as corrupted by Luna's sadness and heavily overreacting, plus she was redeemable and it's quite likely Celestia knew she was redeemable.
    Discord is discerniably outright evil. Mind you he's might be higher on the chaos then the evil ostensibly, but very definitely in the CE box. In particular:

-He's a lying liar who lies to lie (to AJ and RD, a trickster would use true visions)
    -He's a cheating cheater who cheats (Fluttershy, need I say more)
    -His absolute glee at crushing somepony (Twilight's case)

I invite you to contrast all of these with Q who while not above deception certainly critically admits gracefully that he's been beaten (that's part of the fun) and is more genuinely a trickster without true malice. His worst ethically so help me is considering a few dead crewmen in the lesson a "bloody nose" which goes under a matter of perspective and responsibility. And that was his victory as it happens anyways.

Well Fluttershy has shown familiarity with various exotic creatures as well such as the cockatrice and she was the one who knew she was dealing with a minotaur as well. So she appears to be well-trained in some of her knowledge skills as well.
    True I misspoke, the rest of the four though have some pretty insular knowledge though. Even Fluttershy's is pretty specific, just applicable here.

Having just disagreed with part of this above, I'll make another note. I definitely agree that Nightmare Moon and Discord are more powerful than Twilight individually, and that might be significant for the locations where they were imprisoned. However, I don't think they were unambiguously evil as I noted above. Although I add that I would probably give Nightmare Moon the Lawful Evil or Neutral Evil alignment during her corruption, but the fact that regular Luna was still in there does change things significantly.
    Discord I dealt with.

Nightmare Moon obviously underneath it all wasn't evil, but whatever the entity that possessed/corrupted Luna likely qualifies as malicious, though might be simply an impersonal thing without intelligence. We just don't know if it was the equivalent of a Helm of Opposite Alignment or the One Ring.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Crazy Theory Addendum;
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zebra really don't have cutie marks.
    The symbol on Zecora's flank is a prison tattoo.
    Question is, what does it represent? Gang affiliation, crime committed or time done?

"In Tartarus Prison I spent several long years.
    And in that dreadful place, I aquired new fears.
    The fiends in that dungeon said that I would soon hang,
    So to save my dear life I joined a violent street gang.
    To become one of them I shivved a Griffon in the dark.
    And that little ponies, is how I earned my cutie mark."
    gold star for this
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

3. - Top - End - #633
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    Is it strange that I find her expression adorable?
    Nah, me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Happy birthday, DarthBobCat.

Did Lixie ever finish her fancy ship-ficlet thingy, or is that still in the works?

*Has not been keeping up with ponythread*
    >_>
    <_<
    LOOK
    A DEMONIC DUCK OF SOME SORT
    (flee)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    E20, something else about a certain place
    Spoiler
    Show
    So Tartarus is a prison for evil creatures, but we know that neither NMM nor Discord were thrown in there. Not even Discord's statue was put there (seems to me like a better place than the royal garden). Combined with how easily Cerberus was dealt with and how not-seriously Twilight took the prospect of dealing with it, this suggests that Tartarus is only for "minor" evils. Like... criminals rather than big and powerful monsters. So probably no ancient dragons or ursa majors in there, but lots and lots of insane dead pony spirits.

Come to think of it, the level of "discord" down there must be huge... that's no doubt why the statue was not put there but in the royal garden where Celestia thought there would be more harmony and peace.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually tartarus would have been a TERRIBLE place to put discord's statue. Recall how he escaped... he escaped in part due to the "discord" that went on between the filly's. A prision filled with the most evil creatures in equestria would have been FILLED with discord and would have probably hastened his release; he wouldn't have been held in there for a second. Celestia's tranquil castle garden was actually a safer place to ensure he stayed in stone

5. - Top - End - #635
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Still sorta new episode.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That would explain a lot of the wildness of the Everfree. Perhaps Tartarus is a place that contains such evils, but their influence (combined with the ancient palace and misuse of the Elements) is what keeps the place running without pony intervention. The lack of pony intervention means dangerous creatures run wild, instead of being properly taken care of. Perhaps the creatures that are there are warped to be a bit nastier as well.

Crazy Theory: Zecora is a reformed previous inhabitant of Tartarus. Thoughts?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Me thinks that a place as wild as the Everfree would not be right in my mind without a miles-long tunnel system inhabited by Rock Wolves and Tunnel Snakes and whatever would fit down there. Hence, if you go deep into it, you might just find yourself facing a big-o'l three-headed dog guarding a big gate, which holds such vile creatures like Harpies and Furies within. 100 Hooved ones?

Also, it being a physical location in the Everfree could explain Twilight being prefectly fine with leading the giant dog back to it's post: It's a few hours walk, give or take, from ponyville. Also, what better place to put a chamber containing evil creatures than in the middle of the habitat for extremely potent wild animals, up to and above Dragons and Ursas? Besides, it fits Celestias modus operendi: Put the places containing evil close to home, to keep better guard over them.

Also, on monsters: the term could be a simple slure against the varing non-equines of the world. Gilda was never realy called one because at first, while she may have been a jerk, Pinkie Pie nor Fluttershy is of the sort to call her such. Well, at least to Pinkie, she was a Griffon, not a monster.
    Iron Will? No real connection to the cast beyond changing Fluttershys behavior, and Rarity, after all, was kidnapped by the Dimond Dogs, so perhapes she might be a little bit biased against ungainly, steriotypicaly brutish humanoids? Hence, her using the least kind word she knows.

Than again, considering the rather... interesting habits ponies have about dealing with something unfamilar (No one knowing what must be the most common pest around, having little idea about the creatures living in the Everfree, most seemingly unaware about other species, like Zebras), it could be that it's another case of them not knowing a better word for them. I mean, Fluttershy was seemingly the only one out of the main cast members in her episode to know that Iron Will was a Minotaur, and yet it seems that it made little differance either way.

Also, Tiki Snakes? At least we know where Gilda was all this time before she visted Dash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

6. - Top - End - #636
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    >_>
    <_<
    LOOK
    A DEMONIC DUCK OF SOME SORT
    (flee)
    Lix, are you telling us that you don't want to ship things? Somepony should call the resident Space Lich, he might be interested in this.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

7. - Top - End - #637

GnomeWizardGuy

Re: Minotaur/Monster

I think part of the point of that exchange is that Pinkie and Rarity were calling him a monster because of what he had (apparently) done to Fluttershy. Fluttershy, not seeing anything wrong with her recent attitude adjustment at the time, ended up defending him by correcting them with "minotaur" and (later) misinterpreted the meaning of the term "monster" to think it meant everything Iron Hoof did, and by association everything she had been doing.

Wow, that was a rambly sentence.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

8. - Top - End - #638
    Bugbear in the Playground

In addition, Gilda is a quadruped, despite claws, and in most respects resembles a pegasus. Iron Will is a hooved, upright creature with arms, hands and the head of a bull. Translating over to human terms, Gilda is akin to a catgirl (or a "bird" version of one), since feathers are normal for pegasi and the only "unnatural" features are the claws and the beak; Iron Will, on the other hand, would be an actual monster, a feral humanoid with the upper body replaced with, say, a spider's thorax. So it's far from similar, from a pony's perspective.

And I do concur, "monster" in regards to Iron Will was probably used in reference to his actions, not his appearance.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

9. - Top - End - #639
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey AotRS, are you secretly writing pony fanfic now?

And New Smile remix from Foozogz! My playback is weirdly stuttery but I suspect that's because I'm in the middle of backing up my whole hard drive to an external drive, I'll try it again when my processor's not overloaded
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

10. - Top - End - #640
    Titan in the Playground

You also have to consider that the ponies seem to have a decent knowledge of monsters to begin with. Twilight was able to identify a manticore and an Ursa Minor, though those could be chalked up to her studies. Granny Smith apparently knew of the Timberwolves too, and I forget who ID'd the Hydra in Feeling Pinkie Keen. I'd say that "monster" rarely gets thrown around in regards to appearance, since it's an accepted fact that the world is filled with them.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

11. - Top - End - #641

You also have to consider that the ponies seem to have a decent knowledge of monsters to begin with. Twilight was able to identify a manticore and an Ursa Minor, though those could be chalked up to her studies. Granny Smith apparently knew of the Timberwolves too, and I forget who ID'd the Hydra in Feeling Pinkie Keen. I'd say that "monster" rarely gets thrown around in regards to appearance, since it's an accepted fact that the world is filled with them.
    To be fair, apperently everyone knew Froggy Bottom had that Hydra in it. Seems to be a good reason to avoid the place, anyhow, and it explains why everyone was freaked out that a pony wandered off into it. It's probably a wetter part of the everfree, or at least connected to it, considering it was quite a walk to it and the whole "wild animal" thing.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #642
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post

I'm adding this one to my reading list.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

13. - Top - End - #643

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post

Hmm, if Fluttershy is a Lich and Rarity is a Vampire, what other horrid abominations would the rest of the Main Cast be?

.... You know what, lets just swich "Fluttershy" with "Twilight Sparkle" in this case.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #644

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Hmm, if Fluttershy is a Lich and Rarity is a Vampire, what other horrid abominations would the rest of the Main Cast be?

.... You know what, lets just swich "Fluttershy" with "Twilight Sparkle" in this case.
    We all know that Pinkie is a world-ending eldritch horror.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

15. - Top - End - #645

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    We all know that Pinkie is a world-ending eldritch horror.
    Flutters is probably a were-something, considering her proximity to The Monster Filled Forest tm, and who can tell the differance between a big wolf and a big, magicly transformed wolf?
    Show

16. - Top - End - #646
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post

Why does my Pony Buttons folder lack this? Well time to rectify that.

Rarity is a Vampire... Fluttershy is a Lich... Twilight is a Warlock... Applejack a Werewolf... Rainbow Dash a Mummy... and of course.... The Pink One

Edit:

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

Lix, are you telling us that you don't want to ship things? Somepony should call the resident Space Lich, he might be interested in this.
    No, I'm telling you I've been busy/lazy. xD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    You think there would be a possibility that if I had the time and energy to write pony fanfic I wouldn't have been voluably cramming it down your collective faces...?

Oddly enough, the existence of the story doesn't compel me to want to read it - the description sounds far too angsty, and being a Lich should not be angsty.

Also, Rarity is not vampire. I don't care, she isn't. It's bad enough I have to tolerare Jubilee being a vampire, but I'll be (more) damned before I let anypony else of my characters becomes something I loathe so utterly.

19. - Top - End - #649

Twilight Sparkle's assets include a vast library of arcane knowledge, a tendency to plan everything in meticulous detail, and a surprising amount of political clout for someone so averse to social interaction. Thus, she's perfect for the role of Treacherous Chancellor.

Rainbow Dash moves with inhuman speed and grace. She also boasts a mischievous spirit and a peerless vanity. Oh, and don't forget that local weather phenomena (rainbows in particular) are attributed to her actions. She's clearly one of the Fair Folk.

Applejack is renowned for her incredible strength and toughness. However, she is also bound by words. She is compelled to carry out any promise to the letter, regardless of how foolish or suicidal it may seem. It would appear that she lacks free will altogether; she may look like a pony, but on the inside, she is truly a Golem.

Pinkie Pie is everywhere and everywhen. She was there when Equestria was made. She has been in every culture in this world and others, exhibiting cultural traits from everything from gypsy tribes to the Looney Tunes. Most damningly, she has the power to cause people to enter unbreakable contracts, but any loophole allows the signatories to escape with their souls intact. She is none other than The Devil Herself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    In addition, Gilda is a quadruped, despite claws, and in most respects resembles a pegasus. Iron Will is a hooved, upright creature with arms, hands and the head of a bull. Translating over to human terms, Gilda is akin to a catgirl (or a "bird" version of one), since feathers are normal for pegasi and the only "unnatural" features are the claws and the beak; Iron Will, on the other hand, would be an actual monster, a feral humanoid with the upper body replaced with, say, a spider's thorax. So it's far from similar, from a pony's perspective.

And I do concur, "monster" in regards to Iron Will was probably used in reference to his actions, not his appearance.
    Gilda as the pony version of a catgirl.

Good gracious, I don't even know what to do with that concept.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Wouldn't that be a hippogriff?

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    Wouldn't that be a hippogriff?
    Hippogriffs? In FiM? Nonsense! That would just be silly!

23. - Top - End - #653
    Colossus in the Playground

I love you Hasbro.

24. - Top - End - #654

Write a story about it?

"While Dash has had gotten strange looks from others before in her life (usauly due to her totaly epic skills in the air), she cannot understand what the other ponies are chattering and giggling about when Gilda comes back to Ponyville to make up for last time."

Includes a !!Straight!! Dash, with perhapes some side ships, one of which would probably break the news to her.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #655
    Troll in the Playground

Going off the main cast because my head's silly like that, I'm seeing Derpy as a Flumph, and then my mind bounces between the CMCs being Sirens or the Fates, and Trixie being a Succubus or a Gorgon. Angel is a Mindflayer.

If Applejack's a Golem, then Big Mac is an Adamantine Golem.

I love you Hasbro.
    Okay, so we're back on to loving Hasbro now? Is there like an RSS feed or something I can subscribe to on where we're supposed to stand with regards to loving or hating them?
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ogre in the Playground

I love you Hasbro.

Holy bloody hells that's awesome. Aside from the Derpygate incident (which was somewhat understandable) these guys really know how to treat a fandom.

Y'know what the best part about all of this is? Or at least what I hope it is? Hasbro is growing as a company now. They're learning how to adapt to sudden, unexpected changes in the market for their IPs. Or at least I hope they are, because learning how to deal with something as unexpected as the brony phenomenon is a damn good idea for any business.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

Much more fun to focus on the... less successful ones, like Pastashy,
    Spoiler
    Show

"Sure we know what Junebug looks like",
    Spoiler
    Show

"This is how Luna looks in Season 2, right?",
    Spoiler
    Show

or why not "Sapphire Shores", who "is quietly kind". Sounds like her, right? Right?
    Spoiler
    Show

And never, ever forget: Princess Celestia is a magical pony.

I coloured some of SiuiS' lineart.

Also,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Congratulations on this getting into the Drawfriend!
    Last edited by Athaniar; 2012-03-12 at 07:54 PM.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I discovered what the problem I have with the newest episode is. Well, at least why I didn't love it as much as y'all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's no climax. No big defining moment. There were a lot of little bits here and there that were good, but no centerpiece scene. So it hits a ground rule double instead of a home run, so to speak.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Athaniar View Post
    And never, ever forget: Princess Celestia is a magical pony.
    *GASP* Really? What could possibly gave Hasbro that idea?!
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-03-12 at 07:59 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

30. - Top - End - #660

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post

If Applejack's a Golem, then Big Mac is an Adamantine Golem.
    Silly! He is a Copernicium Golem.

Applebloom apparently built her siblings, who knew? Granny Smith is a old, slighty creaky Ironwood Golem, without a doubt.

Also, for other ponies/nonponies...

Gummy is a widdle dungenbred Carbuncle, Bonbon and Lyra are Succubi and Erinyi, respectivly, and Celestia should be apparent already. After all, how many powerful mythological figures have a powerful, cruel figure associated with light? Hint: It's from a very well known book,and the first two guesses do not count.
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2012-03-12 at 08:00 PM.
    Show